Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Croatoan posted:

Check this out
:byodame: "You're not a parent so you can't tell me not to abuse my child!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

What kind of "owning up" would leave you satisfied?

I'd guess it's something like "don't lapse into apologetics when someone brings up that Lovecraft was racist, because he was. You can like his books and still think he was a racist."

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I still have Lovecraft on my Facebook likes from high school, and there was some drama a few months back when whoever runs the page posted a pretty reasonable article about Lovecraft's racism. I've never seen so many people with goatees get angry in a comments section

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

That HPL wasn't acknowledged in his time is not a tragedy. Lots of writers have been ignored until they died. It is a thing that happens. We don't need to cover up their disgusting views just because they had a sad life. No one gave Virginia Woolf that honor. No one gave it to Lewis Carroll. HPL doesn't get a pass either.

Edit: The problem is that even contextualizing for history, HPL was a disgusting racist. A lot of the Lovecraft Circle thought he was too harsh, even. Not to mention he was actually kinder to homosexual men than he was to immigrants, which makes no sense for the time. I mean, people are hugely racist in the US right now, and we don't give them a pass just because they might have depression or be surrounded by racism. The "product of their time" argument is old, tired, and patronizing to dead ppl. He could think for himself and chose to be an rear end in a top hat vvv

don longjohns has a new favorite as of 15:26 on Apr 18, 2017

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

SpaceViking posted:

I'd guess it's something like "don't lapse into apologetics when someone brings up that Lovecraft was racist, because he was. You can like his books and still think he was a racist."

Sure thing, I just think some people are too quick to call explaining historical context "apologetics," like they're more caught up in virtue signaling than actual understanding. That's basically impossible to prove, but that's the vibe I get often when people discuss historical figures.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

failing forward posted:

That HPL wasn't acknowledged in his time is not a tragedy. Lots of writers have been ignored until they died. It is a thing that happens. We don't need to cover up their disgusting views just because they had a sad life. No one gave Virginia Woolf that honor. No one gave it to Lewis Carroll. HPL doesn't get a pass either.

He frankly really didn't deserve literary recognition. He was super repressed and a total sperg who could barely function on his own. If not for his pittance of an inheritance, his frugal lifestyle, and support from his wife he probably would have starved to death long before he started writing. He also refused to allow anyone to edit his stuff so it's often times very stuffy and repetitive. He had great ideas but was not a terribly good writer.

Scratch Monkey has a new favorite as of 15:49 on Apr 18, 2017

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

failing forward posted:

Edit: The problem is that even contextualizing for history, HPL was a disgusting racist. A lot of the Lovecraft Circle thought he was too harsh, even. Not to mention he was actually kinder to homosexual men than he was to immigrants, which makes no sense for the time. I mean, people are hugely racist in the US right now, and we don't give them a pass just because they might have depression or be surrounded by racism. The "product of their time" argument is old, tired, and patronizing to dead ppl. He could think for himself and chose to be an rear end in a top hat vvv

Ive always felt HPL got a pass as a result of being to extremely broke brained. His racism was literally insane, as in diagnosed as pathological by modern psychiatric practice.

That said, if you can't acknowledge that he WAS racist to am absurd degree, you need to stop and spend some time thinking.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

He frankly really didn't deserve literary recognition. He was super repressed and a total sperg who could barely function on his own. If not for his pittance of an inheritance, his frugal lifestyle, and support from his wife he probably would have starved to death long before he started writing. He also refused to allow anyone to edit his stuff so it's often times very stuffy and repetitive. He had great ideas but was not a terribly good writer.

See, this is the kind of weird "making it personal" vibe I was talking about. Yes, he uses the same words often, but stories like At the Mountains of Madness and The Tomb are well thought out and paced, and good examples of weird fiction.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Every HPL story:

"Spooky things happen to some guy, insert a million adjectives/adverbs, use the n word, guy wakes up safely after passing out during spooky things."

"Mildly entertaining" is the most praise I'd give his writing.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

RFC2324 posted:

Ive always felt HPL got a pass as a result of being to extremely broke brained. His racism was literally insane, as in diagnosed as pathological by modern psychiatric practice.

That said, if you can't acknowledge that he WAS racist to am absurd degree, you need to stop and spend some time thinking.

Orson Scott Card, horrible opinions, pretty good story teller. I won't stop liking the Ender series, just because OSC sucks at being a human.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

porktree posted:

Orson Scott Card, horrible opinions, pretty good story teller. I won't stop liking the Ender series, just because OSC sucks at being a human.

He sucks at being a writer, too, though. Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow are the only two books he's written that are worth reading. :colbert:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Grimdude posted:

Every HPL story:

"Spooky things happen to some guy, insert a million adjectives/adverbs, use the n word, guy wakes up safely after passing out during spooky things."

"Mildly entertaining" is the most praise I'd give his writing.

I don't think you've read any, lol

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Dumping my phone. Enjoy the idiocy.

Only people with debilitating mental illness can recognize simple pattern disruptions! LOLOL!!!

HE. HAS. HATCHED!

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

The Saddest Rhino posted:

~ ~ 😢SADDEST😭 🍲COPYPASTAS🍜 ~ ~

⚠ ALERT ⚠
Almost all the facebook accounts are being duplicated. Do not 🚫 accept a 2nd invitation with my name. I don't have two profiles!!!
Copy and paste on your wall!

~ ~ 😢SADDEST😭 🍲COPYPASTAS🍜 ~ ~

This is from last page but this actually happened with my mom. Someone impersonated her and tried to chat with her friends to get details and it was weird. It didn't really go anywhere since it was really obvious they were fake after a few sentences, and they got banned really fast afterwards, but my mother's not exactly famous in any way, so it's really weird that someone would try this. I'm assuming it's a combination of a bot and a live scammer or something, since they used an old picture of her as their avatar.

"almost all accounts" are not being duplicated, though :v:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Croatoan posted:

Check this out

This mom is dumb as poo poo, but what in the hell would the tatoo look like after that kid grows up? Wouldn't it stretch out into some weird rear end monstrosity?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Picnic Princess posted:

Only people with debilitating mental illness can recognize simple pattern disruptions! LOLOL!!!

All of them have different numbers. That was easy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

See, this is the kind of weird "making it personal" vibe I was talking about. Yes, he uses the same words often, but stories like At the Mountains of Madness and The Tomb are well thought out and paced, and good examples of weird fiction.

Of course you make it personal, you kind of have to when talking about a specific person.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

I don't think you've read any, lol

That's pretty rich, since I read the better part of a huge pdf collaboration of his entire works.

But okay, his writing totally isn't an over abuse of descriptors and people waking up the next day after seeing demons or some other poo poo.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Of course you make it personal, you kind of have to when talking about a specific person.

He was talking about the work, not the person.

Grimdude posted:

That's pretty rich, since I read the better part of a huge pdf collaboration of his entire works.

But okay, his writing totally isn't an over abuse of descriptors and people waking up the next day after seeing demons or some other poo poo.

Yes he uses a lot of descriptors, but most stories do not end that way, and I've read dozens of his stories and never seen the "n-word", which anyone unfamiliar with the work would take from your post to mean "friend of the family". You were being disengenuous.

He used "negroid" a few times, and his letters are vile, but overall I'd say in his actual stories he spends much more time denigrating rural people.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

Bird in a Blender posted:

This mom is dumb as poo poo, but what in the hell would the tatoo look like after that kid grows up? Wouldn't it stretch out into some weird rear end monstrosity?

You have to do it like a reverse shrinky dink.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Sure thing, I just think some people are too quick to call explaining historical context "apologetics," like they're more caught up in virtue signaling than actual understanding. That's basically impossible to prove, but that's the vibe I get often when people discuss historical figures.

Virtue signaling? Really? :rolleyes: And no one is doing that here so now you're just scrambling for something to object to since you can't defend that original post anymore. Lovecraft was a lovely racist even for his time and that shows up in his work. Acknowledging that is how you get it out of the Cthulhu mythos because fear of Mongoloid hordes is actually not central to the horror of indifferent gods in an uncaring universe.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

there wolf posted:

Virtue signaling? Really? :rolleyes: And no one is doing that here so now you're just scrambling for something to object to since you can't defend that original post anymore. Lovecraft was a lovely racist even for his time and that shows up in his work.

Defend what original post? What are you talking about? What do you think I was defending?

quote:

Acknowledging that is how you get it out of the Cthulhu mythos because fear of Mongoloid hordes is actually not central to the horror of indifferent gods in an uncaring universe.

I can't even parse this.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The opening scene of the Big Lebowski has some detailed predictions to the events of 911. I had seen the part where he rights a check and dates it 9/11. But at second look it is little more revealing. Here are the relevant parts mostly in less than a minute.

http://youtu.be/OByqRZB3ebg

So the chick is at Ralphs. Right away you know there is a code here because simple numerology of Ralphs is 911. Just in case you miss all the other references i guess. And the two metal 'poles' etc.

https://postimg.org/image/p0zpq2inr/ Ralphs

These next two are very specific. Everything on the left is related to aircraft. Little delta like symbol. Little ufo thing. 3 in line. Clearly referring to airplanes. Everything on the right is the targets. Just a little imagination and the ceiling on the right is the wall of twin towers and the loving '5' is the pentagon. The thing hanging from the ceiling is the one that 'crashed' in the middle of nowhere. Very specific. 'This will not stand' as soon as he says that you get this.

https://postimg.org/image/za3a4lgdj/ Weapons and targets. 'Call when 3 in a line'

Think something like this for the ceiling. https://postimg.org/image/jzm2buzbv/

Now the check. Ok he dated it 911 yeah but is that whale. Yes it is a whale. With a blue line pointing from his 'blow hole' to the word 'dollars'. And what else has blue line? The little chord going from the pen to the box. The box they very carefully cut off with the camera angle to make the pentagon. The pen proabaly represents a missile that hit the pentagon instead of a plane. Mark my words that curly chord represents the 9 in 911.

https://postimg.org/image/v07wctknh/ Pentagon and check

That little blue box represents the pentagon and something crashing into it. And very curiously enough. Look at the flight path into the building

https://postimg.org/image/vav9gsf9r/ Flight path

That is the nine. Terrorists made a symbolic 9 shaped dive into the pentagon. You could say it was 6 or whatever but from some angle it is a 9.

I made a post earlier notice how similar the check picture is to the cnn commercial. The 'jet paper' and the 'call when 3 in a line are very similar. There is definitely very similar symbolism going between these 2.

https://postimg.org/image/w8wfab98b/

https://postimg.org/image/za3a4lgdj/

The music starts off with a song about tumbleweeds. "The tumbleweed, aka salsola tragus -- or Russian thistle -- is an annual that dies, breaks off at the stem and disperses seeds as it drifts through the desolate desert landscape, rolling with the wind. Much like the Dude."

http://youtu.be/j1epEtB0lVo Long version

They knew. Whoever made this scene knew some very detailed info on the events of 911 and hid that in almost every frame of the beginning of this movie.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Defend what original post? What are you talking about? What do you think I was defending?

I can't even parse this.

Virtue signaling is an alt-right phrase they use to sound smart instead of saying disingenuous. It's a lovely way to discount how people feel about a certain topic that is completely impossible to disprove. It's a highschool level rhetorical trick and if you want to be taken seriously in any form of discussion you should stop using it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Virtue signaling is an alt-right phrase they use to sound smart instead of saying disingenuous. It's a lovely way to discount how people feel about a certain topic that is completely impossible to disprove. It's a highschool level rhetorical trick and if you want to be taken seriously in any form of discussion you should stop using it.

Thank you.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Grimdude posted:

"The better part" being what, a couple of the single-pagers? It's okay that you don't like HPL for whatever reason, and no one's gonna give a gently caress if you just own up to not having read any/very few, but christ dude stop talking out your rear end. Your bullshitting game is "my uncle works at nintendo" level.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Ok, I didn't know it was associated with the alt right. I just assumed it meant disengenuous.

Turns out not one page later a poster started pulling the exact disengenuous poo poo I was making fun of, in response to which I called him disengenuous. I can see why the term has gained traction.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

thank you

Ok, I didn't know it was associated with the alt right. I just assumed it meant disengenuous.

Turns out not one page later a poster started pulling the exact disengenuous poo poo I was making fun of, in response to which I called him disengenuous. I can see why the term has gained traction.

(Virtue-signaling actually means exactly what it says, "the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue." You are signaling that you're virtuous. I don't know where people got disingenuous out of it?)

Midnight Voyager has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Apr 18, 2017

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

How do you deal with Kafkatraps?

Denying rape culture proves there's rape culture.

Saying you don't see race means you're a racist.

This is becoming more and more popular in young people and mainly on the left. How do you deal with these?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Midnight Voyager posted:

thank you

(Virtue-signaling actually means exactly what it says, "the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue." You are signaling that you're virtuous. I don't know where people got disingenuous out of it?)

It kind of took on that meaning other wise most uses of it wouldn't make much sense.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah, it's sort of what happens when you have an impossible argument. We've already settled that Lovecraft is objectively a racist, and now we're arguing about whether or not his books are good. Good luck proving that with math

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

It kind of took on that meaning other wise most uses of it wouldn't make much sense.

Sorry, do you expect the ways in which alt-right people use words to make sense?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

thank you

I'd guess because people are perceived as disengenuous by ignoring contrary evidence and instead focusing on admonishing the person they see as bad, which demonstrates their good character.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

thank you

Because it implies you're consciously expressing points of view to gain something (attention, social standing, approval, whatever) by manipulating other people's views of you.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I'd guess because people are perceived as disengenuous by ignoring contrary evidence and instead focusing on admonishing the person they see as bad, which demonstrates their good character.

What contrary evidence. Most of the time it's used as an argument ender in itself.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

we can all see how not owned you are, will you please shut the gently caress up

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah, it may be a useful term in academia but the world has appropriated it as an insult.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I recommend checking out "The Music of Erich Zann" if anyone wants to read a Lovecraft short story

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Double bonus: Erich Zann sounds like erection if you say it in a funny way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Picnic Princess posted:

Is 3 not centered? I think 3 is off-center.