Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

21 Muns posted:

This seems like an entirely predictable result of watching an anime movie to me. IMO anime is not on-topic for this thread, which is more about animation produced for art or for money as opposed to animation produced to get off. Even though I haven't watched Your Name myself, I'm glad someone here did who can provide an honest report on it to dispel the illusion that it's a Great Movie that's Not Like The Animes You're Thinking Of and Totally Watchable For The Articles and Please Ignore Those Boob Shots.

Hell, same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Can we talk about Ghibli films that mostly don't have awkward japan sex comedy? When Marnie was there is nice

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There are plenty of anime films worth watching. Some of them aren't even "good" films taken altogether, but have some really interesting qualities that make them a rewarding experience, something genuinely different than the average viewer has seen before. Sometimes it's technical prowess, sometimes it's story structure, etc.

For example, every Studio Ghibli film is worth watching and most of them are excellent (and the very worst are ok). Additionally,

- Ghost in the Shell
- Akira
- Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust
- Redline
- Tokyo Godfathers
- Paprika
- Millennium Actress
- Perfect Blue
- Jin-Roh
- Robot Carnival
- Belladonna of Sadness
- Angel's Egg
- The Ringing Bell
- Wolf Children

are all going to be an experience worth your time one way or another. But Your Name is the opposite of that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
you can talk about any animated movies here, per word of god

i haven't actually ever seen a makoto shinkai film, because it all sounded so milquetoast. none of this is doing anything to dissuade me from that impression, although lol at "animation that was for MONEY AND ENTERTAINMENT, NOT FOR GETTING OFF" :bahgawd:

Unmature
May 9, 2008

21 Muns posted:

:psyboom:

The only teenagers and young adults I've encountered who like the Minions are in, like, the top percentile of lameness and dorkiness. It's considerably less popular with teenagers and young adults than My Little Pony, which as you point out is extremely uncool. Minions are for children and middle-aged-to-old people. They occupy the same sector of the public imagination as Teletubbies.

I work a kids school and every student here friggin' loves them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
To be fair I've still not seen Your Name, because at this point I've basically seen all of Shinkai's movies and been disappointed by them every loving time. I don't fault other people for liking his films but he just doesn't remotely deliver the stuff I want out of a story (thematic coherence, relationships deeper than 'here's a girl and a guy and they are protagonists so they wuv each other', twists that aren't just scifi set dressing, characters that exhibit any sort of growth...), so Pick's critique sounds a lot like my problems with his other stuff.

I really do think you'd like A Silent Voice, Pick, assuming you liked what I liked out of When Marnie Was Here.

quote:

- Ghost in the Shell
- Akira
- Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust
- Redline
- Tokyo Godfathers
- Paprika
- Millennium Actress
- Perfect Blue
- Jin-Roh
- Robot Carnival
- Belladonna of Sadness
- Angel's Egg
- The Ringing Bell
- Wolf Children

good taste

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't doubt that and I intend to see it when I get a chance, thanks for the recommendation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick what is this list that has Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust but not the original and doesnt have Cat Soup???

Dead Leaves is also worth watching for being kinetic and motion heavy, but i aint gonna pretend its morally upstanding.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think the only thing I'd add to that (there's other stuff I like of course) is Giovanni's Island.

EDIT: Also, Metropolis but it's been a while since I saw that.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 18, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Cat Soup! Yeah, and there's some 80s cat parade anime that I can't remember the name of offhand that is also wild and I'm blanking on it. Spring & Chaos, where everyone is portrayed as cats, should also be on that list.

Vampire Hunter D and VHD Bloodlust are both sort of humdrum in terms of story, but drat if VHD Bloodlust isn't one of the most cinematically striking films of all time. It's the film I own the most cels from. They're just perfect.

Pick fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 18, 2017

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

If End of Evangelion didn't have a 26 episode series that should be watched first, I would put that on there as a good movie.

Was Redline good? I know that it was stylish as gently caress, but I'm lazy and never got around to watching it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Redline's plot is terrible, but the visuals make it something worth experiencing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

PenguinKnight posted:

Was Redline good? I know that it was stylish as gently caress, but I'm lazy and never got around to watching it.

Redline is spectacular, and while you're probably mostly there for the style it's also got a nice little story about cooperation and mutualism. And also about getting off, while we're on the subject. :v:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bloodlust is gorgeous (that castle) but as a film I felt like the original is paced better, or more accurately, doesnt have the japanese narritive trope of a character telling a long rambling that is obviously about themselves and only at the end saying it happened to them as though that makes their shaggy dog story acceptable.

Redline is hella stylish but the plot arc of the lady racer is... bad.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

cool i will have to track it down sometime. maybe see if there's a blu-ray since I finally own something that can play them

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
For example, this is at the end of the little hallway that leads to my washer/dryer so as to hide my anime shame, but

Jeez, that's an awful photograph. Maybe I'll take a better one when I get home. I ought to get it framed properly but I bought these in... late highschool?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Is it rude to say that I have absolutely no surprise that VHD: Bloodlust is a big hit in your household?

I really like the techno horse and carriage.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Is it rude to say that I have absolutely no surprise that VHD: Bloodlust is a big hit in your household?

It's a super melodramatic goth film about monsters, so yeah some part of me perhaps enjoyed this

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

When this is your opening sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm2OONWW9v0

You know you're really here to see cool cars race each other, and that's fine.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I still stand by my initial Your Name review on Facebook:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Goddamit now I just remembered the spaceship castle in VHD and gently caress it Im going to go rewatch those tonight.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I do think it's a shame though that the VHD cels get hidden, but I feel no similar pressure to hide the cel of Hexxus or Ratigan.

By the way, if you think that means dropping mad money, cels from Great Mouse Detective have routinely been going for like $150 on eBay so keep an eye out because that's loving peanuts for Disney cels.

I missed this one for $175 and I'll never forgive myself.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

if you want a vision of the future of hand drawn feature length films,

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

A friend on Twitter described the villain of Yooka-Laylee as the lovechild between Bee Movie's Barry and Despicable Me's Gru, and I'm hard-pressed to disagree.

Also, I still think Your Name was a good film, despite the backlash within the past page. Really could've done without the groping, though, but I guess expecting Japan to grow out of this is expecting too much.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

But really, what is Mad Max besides Mad Max?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If we're talking about visually stunning Anime, I'd be remiss not to bring up Tekkonkinkreet.

Edit: Tekkonkinkreet is also second only to Kakabakaba Ka Ba? in film titles that are really fun to pronounce.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I like this review because you can substitute Your Name with anything, and it still works. Very efficient.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 18, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

A friend on Twitter described the villain of Yooka-Laylee as the lovechild between Bee Movie's Barry and Despicable Me's Gru, and I'm hard-pressed to disagree.

Also, I still think Your Name was a good film, despite the backlash within the past page. Really could've done without the groping, though, but I guess expecting Japan to grow out of this is expecting too much.
But really, what is Mad Max besides Mad Max?

I think it's a bit unfair to blame 'Japan', I can make a pretty long list of anime without the protagonist sexually harassing anyone.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fangz posted:

I think it's a bit unfair to blame 'Japan', I can make a pretty long list of anime without the protagonist sexually harassing anyone.

True, but in this case it was so stereotypical in how it was portrayed, it was legitimately annoying just from an artistic standpoint.

Also, almost every angle was a flat angle, characters don't run or walk in a way particular to them. I think every gesture every single person made probably has a TVTropes page.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Has anyone seen the Boy and the Beast? Is it any good?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Redline had a plot?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Speaking of non-Your Name animes, a theatre around me finally got around to screening The Red Turtle. Which I was surprised to find out how little about it I knew going in. Like, I think I maybe watched a trailer over a year ago, but I think the only thing I knew was that there was a dude, and a turtle. So while it took me a moment to remember that, 'Oh yeah, this is a movie about a shipwrecked dude stranded on a Island', I was unexpectedly hit with, 'Oh, it's a fairy tale as well.'. Plus, it was a film that practically demands to be seen on as large of a screen as you can manage. It really makes use of size and scope, really putting the audience at a distance from the characters. It's almost like watching a play or viewing a diorama but with camera angles.

I would also say it's better than 'Your Name' :smuggo:
But for real, The Red Turtle makes use of a lot less to create something that was a lot more effective than Your Name. But I won't disparage Your Name and those who like it just because I think The Red Turtle is better. They are both setting out to make very different stories with very different tools.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Renoistic posted:

It was kinda disappointing, unfortunately. It's like three movies glued together, two of them are probably pretty good, but it's not the sum of its parts. It's not 'bad', per se, but definitely Hosoda's weakest film.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Christ, it uses the actual soundtrack of the Gene Wilder film? What the eff?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Fangz posted:

It was kinda disappointing, unfortunately. It's like three movies glued together, two of them are probably pretty good, but it's not the sum of its parts. It's not 'bad', per se, but definitely Hosoda's weakest film.
I know a guy on Twitter (different guy!) who was lamenting that people weren't seeing Boy and the Beast at the same time he was saying Zootopia wasn't all that, so... Opinions, y'know?

I should probably see Boy and the Beast sometime, though, it... looked kinda interesting. Also, while I'm thinking of vaguely-furry anime films that I've heard were good but never watched, Wolf Children as well.

The_Doctor posted:

I haven't watched the trailer, but I really hope they include the boat tunnel scene.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Renoistic posted:

Yes, it's pretty nice. I wouldn't call it amazing or anything, but it's worth a watch if you watch anime things. If it's between that and Ernest & Celestine, then holy poo poo go watch E&C instead, though.

Everyone should watch Ernest & Celestine. :3: The dub is ~really~ good, too. One of the few times in my life I prefer it to the subtitles.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 18, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shadow Hog posted:

I haven't watched the trailer, but I really hope they include the boat tunnel scene.

There's a few shots of Tom and Jerry in a smaller boat in the tunnel, it looks trippy but who knows how freaky/creepy it'll be.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Drifter posted:

Yes, it's pretty nice. I wouldn't call it amazing or anything, but it's worth a watch if you watch anime things. If it's between that and Ernest & Celestine, then holy poo poo go watch E&C instead, though.

Everyone should watch Ernest & Celestine. :3: The dub is ~really~ good, too. One of the few times in my life I prefer it to the subtitles.

I've been meaning to watch E&C but it's hard to get ahold off where I live unfortunately. Some day---

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

All-new! Original!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You know what two franchises I'd pay to see mashed together?
Tom & Jerry and Willy Wonka!

- No one, ever.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Martytoof posted:

You know what two franchises I'd pay to see mashed together?
Tom & Jerry and Willy Wonka!

- No one, ever.

Well, the people who actually WOULD want that can likely already get it at paheal.net.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Little late to the party but I just wish to confirm Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust is the prettiest goddamn film with the most blase story I've ever seen. Watch it on mute and it's probably loving magical, holy poo poo.