Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

shiksa posted:

my favorite mike rowe turn was going around the country and shaming people for going to universities instead of trade schools while simultaneously speaking out against unions that make trade occupations even remotely appealing.

just out and saying "there needs to be more plumbers that i can be sure without a doubt are dirt poor"

"no see they should work for the satisfaction of a hard job well done," said the moron who has literally never worked a day in his life and has chosen the easy way, career wise, at every chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/853672433487884288?s=09

Prison planet guy disappointed that a Nazi was forced to punch a woman due to the inherent violence of the left.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
alt joke:

"They should work because their labor is required for the common good. As such while we may not be able to pay them much we should ensure their basic needs are met, in accordance to the value of their labor for their community," said the capitalist

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I still don't understand the libertarian objection to labor unions, it seems like the most libertarian possible way of handling income inequality and pay disparity

The free market dictates the cost of labor, after all! Why shouldn't the labor market decide what they're willing to work for?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Squizzle posted:

also the book of the new sun makes a lil but recurring deal about how the moon is now green

Pro-rear end book

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Epic High Five posted:

how has the new Dem governor been doing? Doing just well enough to keep things afloat for the next loonie Republican to get voted in, or trying to band-aid a lacerated jugular?

the state government almost shut down twice last year over jindal's damage to the budget but the dem governor corralled the republican legislature into bandaiding it since that would've shut down LSU which would've shut down tiger football for the season

and they get to do it all over again this year

lol

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

you might mike rowe's

:cool:

soft

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mirthless posted:

I still don't understand the libertarian objection to labor unions, it seems like the most libertarian possible way of handling income inequality and pay disparity

The free market dictates the cost of labor, after all! Why shouldn't the labor market decide what they're willing to work for?

Because their whole worldview falls apart if there isn't a toiling underclass of debt slaves

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah he's a hand puppet of Capital whether he realizes it or not. I'm sure employers in the industry of those middle income blue collar jobs would just love to dissolve the unions and hire everybody who applies to drive down wages, but there's a reason you can't just walk into a shop and become a pipefitter

A friend went from packing poo poo at a warehouse that treated its employees worse than Amazon to joining a union for sheet cutting and I could not be prouder and happier for him. He went from the absolute bottom of the economy to being placed in a protected and well paid job and he has a chance at the american dream if he plays his cards right. gently caress people who poo poo on unions.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mirthless posted:

mainly because Henry Ford was literally the devil and duped a lot of people into thinking 'wealthy' and 'successful' and 'smart' were the same at a time when we were opposed to communists politically.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Mirthless posted:

Because every libertarian imagines themselves as a future captain of industry instead of the computer programmer and cubicle dweller types they usually are. Don't want the help to get uppity.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Mirthless posted:

:ssh: libertarians are morons :ssh:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Epic High Five posted:

Because their whole worldview falls apart if there isn't a toiling underclass of debt slaves

we rule you
we fool you
we shoot at you
we eat for you <- you are here
we work for all, we feed all

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Also libertarians don't think income inequality is a thing that needs to be addressed.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

hey guys libertarians are dumbfuck utopians that's all there is too it

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

mormonpartyboat posted:

:ssh: libertarians are morons :ssh:

Greedy and selfish, too.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I was under the impression that Jindal at least was roundly despised these days, from a combination of being such a poo poo-awful governor and also in transparently blowing off any/all responsibilities for his quixotic run at the GOP nomination last year.

he wanted to get rid of the state income tax and supplant it with more sales tax (right now it's at 9% if you're in a city)

unfortunately this would've increased it to ~30% and uh, that's not so good for the main city there that's funded by tourism so his entire party turned on him like whoa

also in addition to annihilating education there he soundly destroyed the hospital system

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Brother Friendship posted:

A friend went from packing poo poo at a warehouse that treated its employees worse than Amazon to joining a union for sheet cutting and I could not be prouder and happier for him. He went from the absolute bottom of the economy to being placed in a protected and well paid job and he has a chance at the american dream if he plays his cards right. gently caress people who poo poo on unions.

the only union i'll poo poo on is the ccw because holy poo poo they're comic book levels of evil

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

What were the H1B changes? I support anything that raises wages and lowers income inequality

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The gently caress 5 minutes left on that Raw story about Jones, what's this about animal-human hybrids holy poo poo.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

comingafteryouall posted:

hey guys libertarians are dumbfuck utopians that's all there is too it

when the tech bubble pops the massive amount of debt they've incurred because they think they're invincible indispensables will claim their entire lives lol

in related news I'm like $5000 in debt from house repairs, also lol

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Andrew Johnson doesn't get near as much credit as he deserves for ensuring the eventual destruction of the country

isnt in the bottom three of like every ranked potus list tho

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Duscat posted:

yeah, i wonder just how much of the recent "consumer confidence" is actually consumer existential despair, because i've noticed lately that it's super easy to rationalize impulse purchases with "might as well buy it and enjoy it while i can, who knows how much longer china will keep sending us this cheap poo poo/my money is good/i'm even gonna live"

I'm currently living this as we try to sell our house and buy a different one.
"hmmm...I don't know sweetie, those house payments are going to make things pretty tight...but gently caress it...everything is about to fall apart, might as well like the house we live in when the nukes fall." <--- me IRL.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Squizzle posted:

Jackson
Bush
Trump (click)

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Shageletic posted:

The gently caress 5 minutes left on that Raw story about Jones, what's this about animal-human hybrids holy poo poo.

HARVARD STUDIES!!!!!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Squizzle posted:

Not nearly enough indignity as he deserves even if true

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Mirthless posted:

the only universally consistent idea in libertarian ideology is "the powerful should be allowed to exploit the weak", everything else is window dressing to rationalize or disguise this idea

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I'm currently living this as we try to sell our house and buy a different one.
"hmmm...I don't know sweetie, those house payments are going to make things pretty tight...but gently caress it...everything is about to fall apart, might as well like the house we live in when the nukes fall." <--- me IRL.

"let's see the bank take it from us after I've trained for the apocalypse with an AK and hanzo steel"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah he's a hand puppet of Capital whether he realizes it or not. I'm sure employers in the industry of those middle income blue collar jobs would just love to dissolve the unions and hire everybody who applies to drive down wages, but there's a reason you can't just walk into a shop and become a pipefitter

no obviously its because these millennials are too lazy to and entitled get Real Work :jerkbag:

mike rowe is like if this meme:

were a person

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Duscat posted:

the only universally consistent idea in libertarian ideology is "the powerful should be allowed to exploit the weak", everything else is window dressing to rationalize or disguise this idea

if you dont like the circumstances of your exploitation, the burden is on you to find another circumstance to exploit you in a way you find preferable

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/853672433487884288?s=09

Prison planet guy disappointed that a Nazi was forced to punch a woman due to the inherent violence of the left.

i got one fist of iron
the other of steel
if the right dont catch you
so much for the tolerant left

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Chokes McGee posted:

"let's see the bank take it from us after I've trained for the apocalypse with an AK and hanzo steel"

Exactly, we were looking at some foreclosures in the area and realized that the old homeowners were still living in the houses like a year or so after the foreclosure. Mortgage payments are for suckers!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Duscat posted:

this is like how transhumanism is not "let us merge flesh and technology to bring the world into the singularity" but rather "oh god I don't want to die how do I, personally, live forever"

human philosophical movements are garbage lmao apply nihilism liberally

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol I did grueling labor and it loving blows and you're paid a tiny fraction of the wealth you create if you aren't union. Now I work in an office and get paid 3x as much to shitpost

Every time I hear someone say the world is just and to trust it I wanna punch them. According to their own worldview, they deserved it

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

no obviously its because these millennials are too lazy to and entitled get Real Work :jerkbag:

wash ur hands fam

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Squizzle posted:

i got one fist of iron
the other of steel
if the right dont catch you
so much for the tolerant left

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

all violence is political tbh

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
unions are the most free market thing ever and anti-union law is literally telling you who you can associate with so you'd think libertarians would be all over that

but nope that involves working with others in a professional collaboration which is completely antithetical to what attracts libertarians to their dumbass ideas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Epic High Five posted:

lol I did grueling labor and it loving blows and you're paid a tiny fraction of the wealth you create if you aren't union. Now I work in an office and get paid 3x as much to shitpost

Every time I hear someone say the world is just and to trust it I wanna punch them. According to their own worldview, they deserved it

Every now and then I feel hideously dirty for having a white collar job where I complain about not having anything to do and shitpost all day

the moment of self awareness and guilt helps make up for the other 98% of the time I'm a fat greedy first world rear end in a top hat

• Locked thread