Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

As long as I get some cool bird people I'll be happy, and a thunder god bird would be cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
When're they going to do Norse mythology? Or was that ice age?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Tribal themes could be fun, depending on what they pick. I guess Goblins seem like an obvious one,

Finally, the Merfolk EDH Commander I've been waiting for.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

whydirt posted:

I'd say it's much more likely to be mesoamerica based, given the name.

That's also the thing that is actually on maro's short list.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Dr. Stab posted:

That's also the thing that is actually on maro's short list.

It's a cool theme to base a set on, even if it does mean that we should get two sets with pyramids in a row. Excited to see what they do with it. Also Vraska is apparently/supposedly back, which is cool I guess.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Rinkles posted:

It's probably this renamed

It's definitely a aztec inspired block, given that the spelling on those boosters is two letters away from Aztlán, the legendary ancestral home of the Aztec peoples. Not surprised they changed it, given that Aztlán and associated spellings have some...interesting symbolic meanings for various Mesoamerican independence/reclamation movements.

Molybdenum posted:

Wasn't this every block up to Jamurraa?

Edit: Except for Arabian Nights, I guess.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 18, 2017

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
If we don't get new Faeries cards I promise to riot. The tribes are probably going to be Merfolk, Goblins, Zombies, and Elves, though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Count Bleck posted:

Finally, the Merfolk EDH Commander I've been waiting for.

The "blue" tribe will be Wizards just to piss you off.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

C-Euro posted:

It could be Faeries. Theoretically.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

5 colour Slivers

:getin:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
It'd be great if they were non-major tribes just for diversity sake. Soldiers, treefolk, werewolves, etc. Stuff that has tribal options already but not a million cards like elves and goblins.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Obviously the safe bet is in the big four tribes - goblins, merfolk, elves, and zombies.

My guess is that they'll do two or three of those and then make one or two of the decks support less robust tribes, likely ones that are popular but hard to get into Standard for flavor reasons.

Edit: for example I could see them passing on zombies since they've gotten a decent amount of attention in Standard recently.

whydirt fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 18, 2017

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

BizarroAzrael posted:

Tribal themes could be fun, depending on what they pick. I guess Goblins seem like an obvious one,

Has Ixalan come up in lore before?

Can't wait for the Merfolk deck to be the most expensive because of the True-Name Nemesis reprint

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Molybdenum posted:

I don't give a crap about lore, and give slightly more of a crap about flavor generally when its really well done but othrwise don't care, but vikings would be cool af

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Goblin and Merfolk is a sure bet, but it'd be nice to get Clerics for B/W and Trolls or Werewolves for Green. Could even go Shaman for G/R, but that's probably a bit too niche of a tribe.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Goblin and Merfolk is a sure bet, but it'd be nice to get Clerics for B/W and Trolls or Werewolves for Green. Could even go Shaman for G/R, but that's probably a bit too niche of a tribe.

Agreed. It'd be really cool if they didn't just do Goblin / Elves / Humans, etc.

Werewolves! Dwarves! Thrulls! Wizards!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If they make Vampires, Knights or Cats, I might end up buying a deck.

shudder

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

AceClown posted:

5 colour elementals

:getin:

fixed

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

TwistedNails posted:

As long as I get some cool bird people I'll be happy, and a thunder god bird would be cool too.

I doubt they'll go top-down with the mesoamerican theme since it doesn't have nearly as many well-known tropes as ancient Egypt or Greece. i'd expect something more like Kaladesh or Tarkir where there's obvious real-world references visually but not down to the mechanical level. Plus it would be weird to have 2 top-down ancient culture sets back to back.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Siivola posted:

shudder

There's never enough birds in Magic. I want more birds.

That said, I'd be just as happy with a masterpiece flavor Storm Crow or something. Aven Mindcensor is probably the one Masterpiece single I can even justify seeking out.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Siivola posted:

shudder

Man I'd love to see a WBR Knights deck with some kind of lord commander

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
After 1700 pages we really should probably have a new thread with a less lovely title

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

C-Euro posted:

It'll be Wizards, Druids, Clerics (W/B), and Wizards 2: Electric Boogaloo.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

Man I'd love to see a WBR Knights deck with some kind of lord commander

Vampires really need a mardu Commander and I could see them doing that with those colors.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

I doubt they'll go top-down with the mesoamerican theme since it doesn't have nearly as many well-known tropes as ancient Egypt or Greece. i'd expect something more like Kaladesh or Tarkir where there's obvious real-world references visually but not down to the mechanical level. Plus it would be weird to have 2 top-down ancient culture sets back to back.

Mesoamerican culture ain't exactly ancient. Hell, there are still people in the world who practice a lot of elements of traditional Mesoamerican society. Compare this to the ancient Egyptians, where the culture is completely dead. The Pyramids of Giza are more than 4000 years old. The Temple of Kukulcan (the famous pyramid from Chichen Itza) is only around a 1000 years old. It's pretty ridiculous to talk about Egyptian culture and Mesoamerican culture as being similarly ancient cultures.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

JerryLee posted:

I'm expecting so many bad players to not recognize/understand that the attack trigger doesn't need to have a counter to remove in order to place a counter

Marshall and LSV completely got it wrong in the set review lol

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

Mesoamerican culture ain't exactly ancient. Hell, there are still people in the world who practice a lot of elements of traditional Mesoamerican society. Compare this to the ancient Egyptians, where the culture is completely dead. The Pyramids of Giza are more than 4000 years old. The Temple of Kukulcan (the famous pyramid from Chichen Itza) is only around a 1000 years old. It's pretty ridiculous to talk about Egyptian culture and Mesoamerican culture as being similarly ancient cultures.

Anything that happened before the Renaissance is ancient to white people. :ssh:

I'm interested in tribal commander decks, except they're going to make them dumb wide aggro decks because of course they are, and therefore they'll be terrible in actual games of Commander.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I'd be surprised if there aren't allied Commanders and tribes in these -- sticking with only a single creature type seems very limiting. I would love to see Giants and Kithkin back together again or Goblins and Orcs, Merfolk and Krakens etc.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I'm holding out for Homarids, Samurai, Treefolk and Ogres.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sampatrick posted:

It verges into ancient when you don't pidgeon-hole it, the olmecs were around 3500 years ago.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
There was a time when I would have loved a Native American-themed block.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I honestly assumed it would be merfolk goblins elves and WB humans to hit all 5 colors, wondering if they'll make a WB deck that's both humans and zombies with some cross-tribe enablers

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Thallids, dwarves, evil eyes and kobolds.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

C-Euro posted:

Seems like "Mesopotamia" would be too similar in flavor to our current Egypt world, especially for the same group of world culture rubes that didn't "get" what Kamigawa was trying to do with Japanese mythology. It would make for a cool setting if done right though.
At the prerelease:
I attack with my Quetz-, uh my Q bird! Oh wait I'll attach my eheca- uh the armor thing first! Nope you already declared attackers.

See you thought the joke was that the majority white kid audience of MTG wouldn't know how to pronounce the words but the joke is really that someone's attempting to gotcha a kid at a prerelease.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

After 1700 pages we really should probably have a new thread with a less lovely title

Magic: The Gathering - I CAST MOUTH

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

TheKingofSprings posted:

considering we've had posts with links to old spoiler predictions as an attempt to own people i have to agree

e:

also

SoftNum posted:

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 18, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

SoftNum posted:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ThePeavstenator posted:

considering we've had posts with links to old spoiler predictions as an attempt to own people i have to agree

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817553

New thread, where I finally remove that reference to Extended in the FNM section! How long has that been there? Dang.

Edit:

SoftNum posted:

poo poo, that is way better.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

SoftNum posted:

Please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
I stopped playing in 2002-ish. Played a booster draft in 2010. Walked into a hobby shop for funsies over the weekend and bought a booster pack. Have an itch to play again. A few questions first though.

Is "Standard" the old Type II?

Why did they do away with Mana Burn?

Aside from new creature abilities, what major game mechanics have been introduced, modified, or eliminated since 2002-ish?

Is Magic Duels the cheapest/best way to be reintroduced to the game?

If I were to want to buy a pre-made custom deck (not a set's starter pack), which online sellers are best?

Will my 5 or 6-digit DCI number still work? I see the new ones are 2000 digits long.

Anyone want to send me extra cards to get me rolling?

What should I do to my brother, who evidently decided to sell my collection in 2006-ish? Laughing at the current price of dual lands, Unglued, and all the fun cards I had collected from Beta to Invasion.

• Locked thread