Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

ulmont posted:

Truly posting in this thread is a sure sign of mental illness.

...oh God, no!

Strange new respect for jivjov, who at least knows how to take a punch.

Edit: Dozens of punches, really. And quite a few kicks while he's down. And I think someone might have peed on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Strange new respect for jivjov, who at least knows how to take a punch.

Edit: Dozens of punches, really. And quite a few kicks while he's down. And I think someone might have peed on him.

I miss that dude. Now this place is just a rude echo chamber.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
A goon sees someone that doesn't personally hate an author they've never met in their life, and assumes that it's because they're mentally ill.

Goons.txt

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 18, 2017

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

A goon sees someone that doesn't personally hate an author they've never met in their life, and assumes that it's because they're mentally ill.

Goons.txt

Your ability to use contextual clues to make suppositions is really weak. It's the specific sentence you choose to clip out of the whole post that lead to an obvious and correct diagnosis. Misunderstanding social context is another classic sign.

On the bright side, if you can go 50 comments without responding, I'll usurp you for most posts made in a worthless thread. Let's see if you can start with 1.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Benson Cunningham posted:

Your ability to use contextual clues to make suppositions is really weak. It's the specific sentence you choose to clip out of the whole post that lead to an obvious and correct diagnosis. Misunderstanding social context is another classic sign.

Just stop with this stupid gimmick. You're mad that someone found your commentary on your real-person fanfiction creepy.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Just stop with this stupid gimmick. You're mad that someone found your commentary on your real-person fanfiction creepy.

I don't think he's the one that's having a serious emotional reaction to one voice crying in the wilderness. The city folks are laughing it up at the pub.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I kinda gotta side with Lamps on this one, you can insult the dude's terrible writing, his bad taste, his gross opinions, and the way he's been bilking his fans for years, but conflating that with mental illness is lovely.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Reene posted:

I kinda gotta side with Lamps on this one, you can insult the dude's terrible writing, his bad taste, his gross opinions, and the way he's been bilking his fans for years, but conflating that with mental illness is lovely.

At some point (and that point is well less than a decade), writer's block being a product of mental illness does seem like the most likely explanation (xref: Scott Lynch).

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

The difference is Scott Lynch has openly spoken about his mental health issues and explained how they intersect with his ability to complete his books and nobody is presently using his mental illness to mock him or imply he's a bad person.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Reene posted:

Comparing it mental illness is actually helping Rothfuss out, you're allowing that his flaws stem from an understandable and treatable cause rather than him being a fundamentally creepy, worthless personality.

We put mentally ill criminals in hospitals and may someday forgive them and release them when they are better. Unrepetenant criminals without the excuse of mental illness don't get or deserve that kind of considerations. Rothfuss is a criminal against good taste, a reasonable work ethic, and feminism. Better for him if he's ill rather than choosing to be that way.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I miss that dude. Now this place is just a rude echo chamber.

I'm still around on the forums. I just don't stop in here too terribly often.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I'm hijacking this thread to talk about how much better Abercrombie is than Rothfuss. So much better, that's how much.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

I'm still around on the forums. I just don't stop in here too terribly often.

Did you ever find the good writing that Rothfuss did? Not to rag on it, but come on, you've left us hanging for a while.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Reene posted:

The difference is Scott Lynch has openly spoken about his mental health issues and explained how they intersect with his ability to complete his books and nobody is presently using his mental illness to mock him or imply he's a bad person.

I'm not implying Rothfuss is a bad person. I'm outright saying Rothfuss is a bad person and a loving liar who hasn't put in any meaningful work on his books in a decade. And also that I, along with the other readers, were lied to about the existence of a completed trilogy that only needed revisions so that I wouldn't get GRRM'd again.

Mental illness is what I see as the most likely explanation for that.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ulmont posted:

Truly posting in this thread is a sure sign of mental illness.

...oh God, no!

This is not a top ten list I wanted to make...

Reene posted:

Yeah but that's Lynch's choice. Hypothetically-speaking, if Rothfuss is suffering from some sort of mental illness, he's not obligated to tell people, even if that's what's holding up the third book (assuming (on this hypothetical) that said mental illness doesn't cause him to pose a danger to himself or anyone else).

Frankly I find it more entertaining to assume Rothfuss just doesn't give a gently caress anymore because the money train is never going to stop even if he never writes the third book.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

What's funny is that I linked an article where Patrick Rothfuss admits to having a mental disorder. It was the one where he did fiction fighting (and boy was that awkward). From his blog:

quote:

But in other ways, things were a real shitshow. I hadn’t finished book two yet, and I was a mess of self-recrimination and guilt about that. I was trying to come to grips with being a professional writer, and adult, a father, and a minor celebrity. Though I didn’t yet know it, my mood disorder was becoming more prominent, and my writing was not going well.

Mood disorders are a type of mental illness. So you're welcome to call me an rear end in a top hat (which most of us here are, so glass houses, stones, etc), but it wasn't a false characterization.

If you think it's just in bad taste, that's fine. This entire thread is in bad taste.

BOTLs criticism sounds like the regurgitated mess from a freshman writing course he took pass/fail. My foray into late night fan fiction is an outlet for when I fail to make progress in my actual writing. Reene's callouts whenever mental disorders are mentioned could be from having personal experiences with people who are suffering and trying their hardest to work through their issues, or she just isn't a total dick (like the rest of us).

My point is this: JivJov, how you doing buddy?

Edit: vvv - Sorry, but Rothfuss himself makes a documented connection (as seen above) between his mental illness and his writing not going well.

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 18, 2017

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Using mental illness to insult someone is lovely and Rothfuss being a bad writer with lovely opinions about women and a willingness to string his fans along etc is completely separate from him being mentally ill. I don't know what's hard to grasp about that.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
It's been years since my college days, but no BotL isn't freshmen college tier. It's at least 300 level.

College freshmen are dumb. So dumb.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Reene posted:

Using mental illness to insult someone is lovely and Rothfuss being a bad writer with lovely opinions about women and a willingness to string his fans along etc is completely separate from him being mentally ill. I don't know what's hard to grasp about that.

And it had two shadows, it was two things: it was the need and it was the method. The need was obvious: to defeat what refused to publish the third book, stop being publicly creepy, and stop talking incessantly about (LOL) tak. The method was that taking and bending of words and concepts to one purpose, the outlook that everything could be used in the fight; that nothing could be excluded, that everything was a weapon, and the ability to handle those weapons, to find them and choose which concept to aim and fire; that talent, that ability, that use of weapons.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 18, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

You skipped over the part where you made creepy posts about how someone must be mentally ill and need of urgent therapy.

PJOmega posted:

It's been years since my college days, but no BotL isn't freshmen college tier. It's at least 300 level.

College freshmen are dumb. So dumb.

Benson Cumminham is at least the fourth goon who has nodded along with my criticism until I offend them somehow, at which they point get really indignant.

First it was when I didn't join someone in griping about the Prequels, then I called Logan a bad movie, and then offended someone by posting an essay (though they never read it, apparently).

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 18, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

This is probably the fourth time where someone has nodded along with my criticism until I cross them somehow, and then decided that I must have been bad all along.

"I keep losing allies, something must be wrong with them!"

For my part, you were useful in a Stalin vs. Hitler way when you were beating up on Jivjov in novel ways not covered by the more direct ridicule and humiliation most of us poured on directly. I never read your screeds any more than FDR read by-name Soviet casualty reports. But once the immediate war subsided your past posting crimes were no longer politically convenient to overlook.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 18, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

You skipped over the part where you made creepy posts about how someone must be mentally ill and need of urgent therapy.

Benson Cumminham is at least the fourth goon who has nodded along with my criticism until I offend them somehow, at which they point get really indignant about my criticism.

First it was when I didn't join someone in griping about the Prequels, then I called Logan a bad movie, and then offended someone by posting an essay (though they never read it, apparently).

I uh, literally brought up my fan fic in the sentence after I mocked you?

I think we should taking reading comprehension tests and post our scores.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Benson Cumminham is at least the fourth goon who has nodded along with my criticism until I offend them somehow, at which they point get really indignant.

Oh come now, this is getting really embarrassing. You did some drive thru shitposting in the Logan thread (now that was Freshman tier) and were rightfully called out.

Your posting reasonable to middlingly nitpicky critique on an overexposed fantasy writing hack. Try to stop this Chernobyl meltdown before it gets worse.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
:yikes:

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Mods, that's a wrap. Please close this thread forever so we can start a new one titled Patrice Rothfart.

It really gives the title Name of the Wind a whole new meaning.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
BOTL is a good poster with entertaining analysis of Rothfuss, and he also makes a lot of good book recommendations. #standwithBOTL

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

Reene posted:

Why on earth would you assume they are not related?

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

buttlick rothpuss lmao

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Tim Burns Effect posted:

buttlick rothpuss lmao

Ratdick Kvothefuss

(It's pronounced rah-te-dish-ka quote-fowl-sss)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Number Ten Cocks posted:

For my part, you were useful in a Stalin vs. Hitler way when you were beating up on Jivjov in novel ways not covered by the more direct ridicule and humiliation most of us poured on directly. I never read your screeds any more than FDR read by-name Soviet casualty reports. But once the immediate war subsided your past posting crimes were no longer politically convenient to overlook.

Holy gently caress

I don't imagine myself having allies in this fight, because it's an online thread about fantasy books.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Holy gently caress

I don't imagine myself having allies in this fight, because it's an online thread about fantasy books.

:goonsay: It's a moral arena dedicated to punishing wickedness, stupidity, and tender hearts.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Just because Rothfuss sucks you don't need to start making GBS hatethread posts about the guy. In fact, you really shouldn't!

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

That advice might have been helpful 5 years and 160 pages ago.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

That advice might have been helpful 5 years and 160 pages ago.

Nah, the thread didn't turn on Rothfuss until late 2013.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

But Wise Man's Fear came out in 2011?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

But Wise Man's Fear came out in 2011?

For the two years after that the conventional wisdom was "Felurian and the Adem are both dumber than hell, but the rest of it is pretty good."

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ulmont posted:

For the two years after that the conventional wisdom was "Felurian and the Adem are both dumber than hell, but the rest of it is pretty good."

If half the book is dumb then how can the book be good?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

If half the book is dumb then how can the book be good?

Those parts are less than 1/5 of the book, and less than 1/10 of the two books we have in the Kingkiller Chronicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ulmont posted:

Those parts are less than 1/5 of the book, and less than 1/10 of the two books we have in the Kingkiller Chronicles.

I dunno, those two sections certainly felt like half the book.

• Locked thread