Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Human Grand Prix posted:

I actually think Marchionne is a huge dumbass.

You'll actually find that he's one heck of a CEO and is ruthless to turn his companies around.

I think he's with the rest of us when we say we're fed up with Kimi's attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

1500quidporsche posted:

I am sort of curious how different this situation would've played out under Ron. Something very urgently has to be done from either Honda or McLaren.

To be fair, Ron is the reason why McLaren are so poo poo right now. He took a gamble with Honda and it didnt pay off.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

You'll actually find that he's one heck of a CEO and is ruthless to turn his companies around.

He's a finance guy. He's good at shifting numbers and cutting corners to make things look good to shareholders, but he's done nothing to actually build that business. The actual long-term outlook of FCA is far worse than it was when they first merged.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
He looks like an Indiana Jones villein.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Ron would be proud of this synergy
https://twitter.com/takiinoue/status/854402236784488448

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

At least the shark fin doesn't look like total rear end anymore.

See, baby steps.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

To be fair, Ron is the reason why McLaren are so poo poo right now. He took a gamble with Honda and it didnt pay off.

It's so bizarre that the dude did everything right and was unstoppable during the 80s and has done nothing right ever since. He's like the Michael Jackson of Team Principals.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

It's so bizarre that the dude did everything right and was unstoppable during the 80s and has done nothing right ever since. He's like the Michael Jackson of Team Principals.

You could replace "Ron" with Honda and you'd have the same story.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Ronda

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1500quidporsche posted:

Mika era Mclaren was good.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

He's a finance guy. He's good at shifting numbers and cutting corners to make things look good to shareholders, but he's done nothing to actually build that business. The actual long-term outlook of FCA is far worse than it was when they first merged.

Yeah, he made the books look good until the merger that never came, now he's bailing before the collapse.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I hate to bring up car chat again but for an example of everything wrong with Marchionne's approach in North America take a look at the Dodge Dart.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

MMMMMMOOOODDDDDSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I think you guys are reading too much into Marchionne.

He's a fantastic CEO who returned Ferrari to winning ways and hates Kimi.

Did I mention he hates Kimi? What other god drat criteria do you need. FCA tanking in the next couple of years has nothing to do this with.

He. Hates. Kimi.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

drat frog boy stop making me like you

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/tv-reporter-loses-his-bleep-ing-bleep-when-he-gets-i-1794413183

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

From the same page

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/f1-pr-stunt-gone-wrong-is-almost-too-awkward-to-watch-1788636865

LOL

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

They really should have focused on growing Fiat as a brand in the US and funded new R&D at Chrysler instead of cannibalizing Italian platforms into poorly received re-badged reworks. Fiat dealerships languished with nothing but the 500 to sell for years and their eventual response was to run it into the ground with 3 (4?) size variants of the 500 like some ersatz Mini Cooper that failed to take off, souring the Marque, while the Chrysler Group brands could have coasted a few more years on sheer momentum.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

This was awkward just reading this, god drat.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Zak Brown is literally just another Adam Parr. A businessman who isn't interested in actually pushing towards the front as long as the books are balanced. That's all Williams was for years and years.

Zak's only interest lies in being competitive, getting sponsors back and balancing the books. If that means not necessarily pushing to be at the front that's fine. As long as sponsors get to mingle at the races, business deals take place, and there's some ROI then it's all gravy.

Zak's also drat good at his job but he shouldn't be in the driver's seat of the organization he should be one of the engineers on the pit wall giving options to the big boss.

Customer engines will not have the stigma to Zak.

This rant is based on....?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

What the?

quote:

Max: [realizing what he has done, laughing, making GBS threads] “.....sorry.”

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
that doesnt make sense? like he said gently caress ok i got that bit, but then max said poo poo? Is that the big deal?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Max poo poo his pants, that is the big deal

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Max poo poo his pants, that is the big deal

Babies just do this sometimes.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Nill posted:

They really should have focused on growing Fiat as a brand in the US and funded new R&D at Chrysler instead of cannibalizing Italian platforms into poorly received re-badged reworks. Fiat dealerships languished with nothing but the 500 to sell for years and their eventual response was to run it into the ground with 3 (4?) size variants of the 500 like some ersatz Mini Cooper that failed to take off, souring the Marque, while the Chrysler Group brands could have coasted a few more years on sheer momentum.

He pretty well hosed himself pouring a ton of money so that new Alfa platform would be a BMW fighter but there's like zero brand awareness of Alfa outside of europe so its just going to be a very pricey car with none of the brand awareness that BMW brings. He's banking on Alfa being this big hit but its going to fall flat on its rear end in north america.

He did the exact opposite of what he should've done. He should've designed a cheap as poo poo but modern replacement for the ancient LX platform. Give the platform to pininfarina, lop two cylinders off a ferrari engine, shoehorn it in and you have your new Alfa. Then just price it slightly below the M3 and scream as loudly as possible that it definitely isn't a Ferrari engine there's absolutely no link between them whatsoever and it'll sell like hotcakes.

e: I have a feeling he was thinking he was going the same thing for Chrysler/Dodge that he did for Fiat where he just licenses/codevelops some platforms and sells the cars at a premium, but the issue is those brands are at the bottom of their price point.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 19, 2017

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Nill posted:

having driven a UK Fiat 500, I'm surprised they haven't gone bankrupt. I used one as a courtesy car after years of driving a Ford KA and holy poo poo it really is the most miserable, awful car I have ever driven

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
it depends what you want

if the cute bubble car appeals to you then its a cute bubble car. So was the original cinquecento.

I went in one of the new minis and that's a complete pile of poo poo. What is with the huge dial in the centre of the dash? Who is that for? Why? Goddamn that is a poo poo car

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Chrysler is like aw sweet 800 hp cars, oh uh cars anyone can afford? Lmao

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Human Grand Prix posted:

I hate to bring up car chat again but for an example of everything wrong with Marchionne's approach in North America take a look at the Dodge Dart.

I wanted the Dart to be good. For some reason, its looks really appeal to me...

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

having driven a UK Fiat 500, I'm surprised they haven't gone bankrupt. I used one as a courtesy car after years of driving a Ford KA and holy poo poo it really is the most miserable, awful car I have ever driven

The Abarth 500 is fantastic though.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It wins the price for most fake exhaust sound ever. I laugh every time I hear/see one.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

He pretty well hosed himself pouring a ton of money so that new Alfa platform would be a BMW fighter but there's like zero brand awareness of Alfa outside of europe so its just going to be a very pricey car with none of the brand awareness that BMW brings. He's banking on Alfa being this big hit but its going to fall flat on its rear end in north america.

He did the exact opposite of what he should've done. He should've designed a cheap as poo poo but modern replacement for the ancient LX platform. Give the platform to pininfarina, lop two cylinders off a ferrari engine, shoehorn it in and you have your new Alfa. Then just price it slightly below the M3 and scream as loudly as possible that it definitely isn't a Ferrari engine there's absolutely no link between them whatsoever and it'll sell like hotcakes.

e: I have a feeling he was thinking he was going the same thing for Chrysler/Dodge that he did for Fiat where he just licenses/codevelops some platforms and sells the cars at a premium, but the issue is those brands are at the bottom of their price point.

They rebadged the LX as a Lancia. Sacrelidge. I do like the new Alfa though.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

I agree with most of it. Brown probably wouldn't be opposed to customer engines. I know Bouiller isn't.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

I wanted to make my dick feel big

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

ImplicitAssembler posted:

It wins the price for most fake exhaust sound ever. I laugh every time I hear/see one.

What does that even mean?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

I agree with most of it. Brown probably wouldn't be opposed to customer engines. I know Bouiller isn't.

Again: based on........? What triggered that meltdown? What made him lose his poo poo about Zak Brown, of all people? It's just "HE ONLY CARES ABOUT MARKETING!!!" out of nowhere and I don't get it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Again: based on........? What triggered that meltdown? What made him lose his poo poo about Zak Brown, of all people? It's just "HE ONLY CARES ABOUT MARKETING!!!" out of nowhere and I don't get it.

on the flip side: there's been zero to suggest Brown cares about anything other than marketing and his job of attracting sponsors would admittedly be easier if that car had a Mercedes in the back of it and was making it onto the occasional podium.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

on the flip side: there's been zero to suggest Brown cares about anything other than marketing and his job of attracting sponsors would admittedly be easier if that car had a Mercedes in the back of it and was making it onto the occasional podium.

This isn't logic. I have no proof you aren't a murderer, either.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
McLaren had a bad season in 2014 when they had a Merc engine so IMO the real problem is that McLaren is a bad team with bad engineers and are fail and haven't won a WCC since 1998. Awful

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I just don't understand why, apropos of nothing, we were blessed with a "Zak Brown sucks" rant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yes. Yes that is right. They are dead and gone.

Along with RBR and Williams, the days of buying crate engines and your ex ww2 british aerodynamics engineers coming with the chassis are past. If you dont build engines you arent going to be able to really compete.

McLaren can buy a Merc engine, that wont change things. We can see Alonso fight with Massa for 8th.

• Locked thread