Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mormonpartyboat posted:

wall-e naively assumed only stuff could be garbage

Yeah, humans would never want to get off that ship and build a new planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

alex jones is the greatest human

thats right

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:siren: we did it :siren:

https://twitter.com/NYMag/status/854404618532642817

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Coolguye posted:

even if you ignore all deaths under 4 years old the average person is still living longer and having more productive years than they were in 1950. in 1950 cancer was a death sentence and there was no way to see it coming, nowadays there's entire classes of tumors that are considered 'garden variety' because we have a good handle on them. also, hip replacements and other poo poo keep people out of rocking chairs for years more.

the second thing you take as a lovely granted is actually not at all obvious from a sociological perspective. nobles in medieval europe were the least likely to have their kids die from lovely diseases and were over twice as fecund as their peasant counterparts. looking at that model there's every reason to think people will have bigger families if given half the chance. the data's pointed out that's not true.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/12/08/504667607/life-expectancy-in-u-s-drops-for-first-time-in-decades-report-finds

Life expectancy in the US is falling.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
wall-e but its a google crawler on one of the last operating computer nodes, digging through our posts long after we're dead, seeking the perfectly optimized search

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

every day as i sit in traffic on route 1 headed north on the way to work, i wonder if i'll see the missile that will obliterate everything around me in nuclear hellfire

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
trump speaking at snap-on

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/854415988984557569

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Hamelekim posted:

Countless silicon valley people are putting money into life extension. They all want to live forever ruling over a technological utopia for themselves, and screw everyone else.

We will probably get it sooner rather than later. They already are able to clear out old cells in mice making them younger physically, and trials are starting soon on humans. Within 3 decades I'm sure we will at the very least have treatments that make you look and feel younger, and maybe that will be enough to keep you going forever with treatments every few years.

That's if we don't all die in nuclear fire due to Trump.

i can't wait for all the SV people to get cancer from trying those life extension treatments before they're proven save only to eat vegan in an attempt to cure it and die early

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

canada sucks

Stop swooning over Justin Trudeau. The man is a disaster for the planet

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

deathbysnusnu posted:

Curing "aging" would probably increase life expectancy to some extent, but everything that eventually kills you also tends to kill people even in their 40s. Even with maximum risk factor reduction, people still die from the usual's because they're probabilistic things that quickly turn catastrophic. For instance, most fatal heart attacks don't start as large plaques, they're a tearing of small plaques even children can have that leads to a massive intrinsic clotting cascade that kills you. Every day on earth is a day your left main coronary can decide to get a booboo and end you.

The average lifespan with indefinite lifespans is around 5000 years. So most people would like 5000 years before some accident, murder, suicide, etc... That's a pretty good chunk of time, and who knows what happens in 5000 years.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Flavius Belisarius posted:

*some chili ends up in my chest hair, dripping off my nipple as I grin and chew with my mouth open*

I'm Alex Jones and I'm gay

Give him his kids back. Hell, give him everybody's kids.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Citizen Tayne posted:

That's a good gain but saying "IMMORTALITY IS ALMOST HERE, SEE?" is dumb.

Fact is, human beings are bad at fixing problems that require work. We have the tools now to massively reduce automobile fatalities, but instead we point at Uber and say "the robot cars will make everything real safe!" because that takes no effort on our part.

We have the tools to lead healthier longer lives at hand but they take work (exercise, self control, etc) so it's easier to say "science will make me immortal soon!" because once again that takes no work.

Oh I definitely don't disagree there

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

mormonpartyboat posted:

wall-e but its a google crawler on one of the last operating computer nodes, digging through our posts long after we're dead, seeking the perfectly optimized search

"smooth nudes"

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Cyber goons in 2867 will be arguing about how increased life expectancy isn't a fair measure of progress because most people live to 40 but the statistic is dragged upward by neo-silicon valley's immortals living to their 900's.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Hamelekim posted:

Countless silicon valley people are putting money into life extension. They all want to live forever ruling over a technological utopia for themselves, and screw everyone else.

We will probably get it sooner rather than later. They already are able to clear out old cells in mice making them younger physically, and trials are starting soon on humans. Within 3 decades I'm sure we will at the very least have treatments that make you look and feel younger, and maybe that will be enough to keep you going forever with treatments every few years.

That's if we don't all die in nuclear fire due to Trump.

By this logic it's also possible to get flying unicorns if you pump enough money into it.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

https://twitter.com/GlennThrush/status/854414636778745857

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gringostar posted:

i can't wait for all the SV people to get cancer from trying those life extension treatments before they're proven save only to eat vegan in an attempt to cure it and die early

Or maybe it'll turn them into literal vampires who burst into flame with UV exposure

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Citizen Tayne posted:

The internet has been around in research form since the sixties. The World Wide Web is a document exchange protocol. It is an evolution of previous ideas and didn't spring into existence out of nowhere in 1991.

Everything you're talking about here are refinements of existing, old technologies.

so what, in your opinion, isn't a refinement? what's an entire original thing that didnt spring out of existing ideas?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so what's trump's actual EO about 'buy american' because he can't literally make people do that

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Iron Crowned posted:

Or maybe it'll turn them into literal vampires who burst into flame with UV exposure

this is also acceptable

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Citizen Tayne posted:

You were discussing communications technology so that's what I used.

Humans will never be immortal and they will never get off this loving rock in any meaningful fashion. We need to do what we can now to make life better instead of crawling up the rear end of a fantasy deus ex machina solution.

and precisely the same thing is true of aging related research, dude. the time trajectory is pretty similar, matter of fact.

people living longer actually goes directly to the heart of making life better, as well. we literally just had a derail in this thread yesterday over how education is good but it's so specialized nowadays that it's really difficult to get perspective on something. slowing the aging process down so a 100 year old looks like a modern-day 50 year old would provide ample time to get educated to the point where we could actually make some serious and informed differences. it's ridiculous to expect someone go out and learn stuff until they are 35 nowadays when they can expect to start breaking down at 55. if they won't break down until 100 then staying in school until you're 35 just learning like crazy becomes practical.

deathbysnusnu posted:

Curing "aging" would probably increase life expectancy to some extent, but everything that eventually kills you also tends to kill people even in their 40s. Even with maximum risk factor reduction, people still die from the usual's because they're probabilistic things that quickly turn catastrophic. For instance, most fatal heart attacks don't start as large plaques, they're a tearing of small plaques even children can have that leads to a massive intrinsic clotting cascade that kills you. Every day on earth is a day your left main coronary can decide to get a booboo and end you.
those small tearings are not unique to older people. what is unique to older people is the intracellular and extracellular junk interfering with the fundamental repair processes that maintain these things in younger, 'healthier' people.

certainly, catastrophic events will still happen, and you're correct that no matter how many dice you roll, they can eventually all come up as 1 and you're out of luck. but it's much more likely you'll roll snake eyes than it is to roll straight 1s from a yahtzee can.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

mormonpartyboat posted:

also nothing else happens and he doesnt find love or humans and the computer eventually segfaults trying to do an update of realplayer and hangs on the "DO YOU WANT TO BOOT TO SAFE MODE" screen until the power finally cuts

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Citizen Tayne posted:

By this logic it's also possible to get flying unicorns if you pump enough money into it.

Incorrect.

This is science, and aging is pretty well understood. It's a matter of spending the money to do the research to figure out the solution to the problems, it's not chasing unicorns. It just takes money and time.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
the internet has existed since humans entered into the symbolic and recognized one another as discrete beings. everything else has just been refinement of these communication protocols. we are basically cave man qed

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Only in the last quarter iirc, but for the first time in like 20 years. White mortality has also skyrocketed due to drug addictions

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

ymgve posted:

so what, in your opinion, isn't a refinement? what's an entire original thing that didnt spring out of existing ideas?

cheese

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/854416735809753088

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gringostar posted:

this is also acceptable

I'll be inventing a wood's glass light cannon just for that :unsmigghh:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

sexpig by night posted:

so what's trump's actual EO about 'buy american' because he can't literally make people do that

I think it's about having the US Government give preference to US vendors/manufacturers in the procurement process.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
spending money on NASA in thought only

its the thought that counts right :smugdon:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/854415637212536832

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Trump.....great!

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

we have been eating food since our inception. cheese is just a refinement of the class of things known as food. i am a smart person.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

mormonpartyboat posted:

wall-e naively assumed only stuff could be garbage

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

"for the first time in decades", and it explicitly notes the opioid epidemic as one of the primary causes - a man-made problem, not a naturalistic one.

quote:

The epidemic of prescription opioid painkillers and heroin abuse is probably fueling the increase in unintentional injuries, Arun Hendi, a demographer at Duke University, wrote in an email. The rise in drug abuse and suicide could be due to economic factors causing despair.

it stuns me that people will take what is pretty astoundingly good trends and dig deep to find the gloom in it sometimes.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

looks like someone had lunch with ol newty today

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hamelekim posted:

Incorrect.

This is science, and aging is pretty well understood. It's a matter of spending the money to do the research to figure out the solution to the problems, it's not chasing unicorns. It just takes money and time.

It's not very well understood

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
also

Citizen Tayne posted:

We have the tools now to massively reduce automobile fatalities, but instead we point at Uber and say "the robot cars will make everything real safe!" because that takes no effort on our part

what the gently caress are you talking about, what are these tools that will automatically make everything safer

are you talking about everyone buying newer cars because lol, that has nothing to do with "effort" and everything to do with "new cars are expensive and wages are loving nonexistent"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

trump still waiting on that check from angela merkel

• Locked thread