Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah, I want a game that handles both combat and not combat with the same level of depth, so Strike actually kind of pisses me off.

Burning Wheel would probably be your best bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Covok posted:

Except I can't loving stand Mr Internet Wizard and his No PDFs spell.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kwyndig posted:

:filez:

This isn't that hard.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Ars Magica using non-Hermetic mage/companion rules is pretty cool for a similar feel.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Some of us like to not break the law.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think the soft, "everything is optional and player / GM-defined" out-of-combat stuff in Strike is merely functional at best, but the low-overhead tactical combat is what I came for and that part is great.

Yeah the narrative angle and in my opinion the way items are handled are disappointing but drat if the combats aren't real loving fun.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Stop being insufferable

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Then buy the physical book then :filez: the pdf. All the convenience, none of the guilt.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Would you like it if you produced a book and then people just kept coming up to you, saying how much they liked it, but, get this, weren't going to give you any money for it?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Delete the PDF after 24 hours like everyone did with ROMs

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Plutonis posted:

Yeah the narrative angle and in my opinion the way items are handled are disappointing but drat if the combats aren't real loving fun.

I think items can work fine in Strike, you just have to put a lot of work in as a GM -- basically the most sensible path to take for them is to make them into substitute encounter powers, which means you have to design substitute encounter powers, and make most if not all of them limited-use in case you accidentally make something too good.

Sadly my group fell apart after a final exams hiatus just as I was getting the hang of this and graduating from "uh, I guess your loot is status effect healing items, very ambiguous and abstract forms of money, and an angry horse you stole from bandits?" to the realization above, so I haven't really had a chance to test this as thoroughly as I'd like.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My take on Strike was almost the other way around: refluffing was super fun, spinning side stories out of handing out consequences and mitigating those was great, but actual combats lasted maybe 2-3 rounds and enemies were down in 2 hits and maybe you don't need three at will powers to handle that nor to impose conditions on an enemy that's going to die next hit anyway. But we only played a level 1 one-shot, it probably changes gear at higher levels.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kwyndig posted:

Would you like it if you produced a book and then people just kept coming up to you, saying how much they liked it, but, get this, weren't going to give you any money for it?

What, are you going to write him an e-mail about how you pirated his books because you don't agree with the way he chooses to sell them?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

No, I'm just not going to interact with him or his products anymore. He knows where I stand if he cares.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

My Lovely Horse posted:

My take on Strike was almost the other way around: refluffing was super fun, spinning side stories out of handing out consequences and mitigating those was great, but actual combats lasted maybe 2-3 rounds and enemies were down in 2 hits and maybe you don't need three at will powers to handle that nor to impose conditions on an enemy that's going to die next hit anyway. But we only played a level 1 one-shot, it probably changes gear at higher levels.

Strike combat works exactly the opposite of 4E combat, in that fights with lots of weak enemies are passable but depend on party composition to not get bogged down, fights with a small group of moderate enemies suck and competent players will instantly steamroll them, and single boss monsters with a ton of abilities and a fat stack of hitpoints are wonderful and last a decent amount of time (and present a reasonable threat.)

Elites in particular probably need a balance pass because if your party has a Controller they might as well not exist.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I think we've just now reached the turning point where the people posting their outrage that Crane likes to do kickstarter updates in character and doesn't like pdfs are now more annoying than Crane's character voice and business practices..

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Impermanent posted:

I think we've just now reached the turning point where the people posting their outrage that Crane likes to do kickstarter updates in character and doesn't like pdfs are now more annoying than Crane's character voice and business practices..

Ah yes, my outrage at saying I won't buy something from him because he won't sell it in a format I like and I find his public persona a touch grating.

The only outrage I have is for when people suggest that I go around stealing books in this already cut-throat low-margin industry, which is unrelated to Crane.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Ah yes, my outrage at saying I won't buy something from him because he won't sell it in a format I like and I find his public persona a touch grating.

The only outrage I have is for when people suggest that I go around stealing books in this already cut-throat low-margin industry, which is unrelated to Crane.

fool_of_sound posted:

Stop being insufferable

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Covok posted:

It's amazing how much he's blatantly ripping off Shadowrun. Except, I guess, it isn't the cyperpunk future.

It's modern day, so yes it is. Megacorps control it all and everyone has a cyber-assistant (called a smartphone) and there's no privacy and ads are targeted directly to you. There's VR and self-driving cars and drones and fingerprint gun locks and all that good poo poo.

There's just no cyberlimbs and not enough black leather.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Kwyndig posted:

What are you, a cop?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ominous Jazz posted:

What are you, a cop?

Why do people keep asking that? You know that even if I was I don't have to tell you (I'm not), it's not like the movies.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you're a cop you have to say so. Also, if you take a cop's badge you get to be the cop.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Countblanc posted:

If you're a cop you have to say so. Also, if you take a cop's badge you get to be the cop.

That's not true. Being a cop is spread through bites. Like vampirism.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Kwyndig posted:

Why do people keep asking that? You know that even if I was I don't have to tell you (I'm not), it's not like the movies.

How would you know that if you weren't a cop?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

slap me and kiss me posted:

That's not true. Being a cop is spread through bites. Like vampirism.

Actually my cousin did it and now he's a cop.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Falstaff posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one of the assumptions of the Dogs in the Vinyard setting that the Dogs are 100% correct in their actions? I don't mean culturally, but objectively. Whatever consensus the PCs come to is the will of God.

I've never played nor read the game, but that's what my takeaway was from reading about the game back when it was the new hotness. I recall in an online discussion about the game one person bemused himself with the idea that he could use the system to trick his players into essentially playing the role of Pharisees, arranging for the execution of the messiah as a heretic, and he was shouted down because there's no such thing possible with Dogs - if the PCs say that the messiah is a fraud, then that means (s)he's a fraud.

It is functionally the Word of God for the people in the community, because the King of Life is never personally present / directly manifesting in DitV, and there's no higher authority to look to than the Dogs. If the Dogs were always objectively correct, the game would lose the ambiguity that makes it so compelling. If you're thinking of that giant thread on RPGnet back in the day, the problem with the "kill the Messiah" idea is that it violates two of the core tenets of GM prep for DitV: "Follow the players' lead about what's important and what's not," and "Don't have a solution in mind."

Impermanent posted:

I got 2 players who want to do a game of torchbearer. Will the game work with 2 players or is it balanced around a 3 - 5 player mix, like D&D?

It's balanced around a larger party, with four being the sweet spot. I've run Torchbearer for two players a few times, as one-shots and short campaigns, and while it works and the players enjoyed it, it was hard-mode. Obstacles in that game assume the existence of multiple Helpers and a diverse set of skills, and if you can't bring those things to bear, god help you. You end up having to rely on the Good Idea rule a lot more, and generally try to outwit the dungeon and everything in it. If everyone is on board for that kind of game, go for it!

Kestral fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 18, 2017

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Kestral posted:

It's balanced around a larger party, with four being the sweet spot. I've run Torchbearer for two players a few times, as one-shots and short campaigns, and while it works and the players enjoyed it, it was hard-mode. Obstacles in that game assume the existence of multiple Helpers and a diverse set of skills, and if you can't bring those things to bear, god help you. You end up having to rely on the Good Idea rule a lot more, and generally try to outwit the dungeon and everything in it. If everyone is on board for that kind of game, go for it!

Thanks for this, I'll probably direct them towards a Burning Wheel game, since that seems like a better fit for a small group.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FMguru posted:

It has basically devolved to meaning "is a protagonist".
Is a female protagonist. Male protagonists are fine.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ominous Jazz posted:

When is that gonna come out?

Soon hopefully. It's taking forever, to the point where it's heavily implied Chaosium had to tell them to get their poo poo together.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

It's amazing how much he's blatantly ripping off Shadowrun. Except, I guess, it isn't the cyperpunk future.

Friend, a movie made about anyone, set in tomorrow, April 20 2017, would be the cyberpunk future.

Arivia posted:

Try Scarlet Heroes instead. Same kind of play, designed for solo or very small groups.

Seconding this. Been running a game for a while now and the system shakes out pretty well.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

The Force is a malevolent entity that ruins lives, destroy the Force.

Kreia was almost right. The Force isn't the problem. People who use the Force are the problem.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

I own a physical copy of Burning Wheel Gold and Burning Wheel Codex. I also have a pdf of Burning Wheel Gold for ease of use. If Luke Crane is mad, he can send me an e-mail and I'll explain I already sent him his 50 dollars.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Looks like Enworld owner/found has released his OLD and NEW game systems. I only bring this up because, since he runs the award ceremony and its infamously kind of corrupt and shady, what are the chances one of them is named GOTY? Not that it really matters considering how unimportant the show is.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

quote:

A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character, a young or high-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities.

Sounds pretty close to the mark for Rey, no matter how you fluff the backstory. She's like, 16-18 and kicks arse at everything.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Covok posted:

Looks like Enworld owner/found has released his OLD and NEW game systems. I only bring this up because, since he runs the award ceremony and its infamously kind of corrupt and shady, what are the chances one of them is named GOTY? Not that it really matters considering how unimportant the show is.

Meh, I doubt he'd undertake any deliberate malfeasance. The problems with the ENnies seems to be lack of oversight/rules. I still wouldn't be too surprised if at least one of them did well, just because of how incestuous the whole thing is.

Also: Still unreasonably mad about the acronyms that aren't actually acronyms.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The ENnies have always been an excuse to line the pockets of the judges panel.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Covok posted:

I found Mouse Guard was a real headache to learn just by reading until I realized he was reinventing basic gaming terminology because... he's Luke Crane. It also kept referencing game concepts without actually explaining them until later in the book. Is Burning Wheel pretty much the same way?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

starkebn posted:

Sounds pretty close to the mark for Rey, no matter how you fluff the backstory. She's like, 16-18 and kicks arse at everything.

But if you give her a dick then she's basically Luke Skywalker, backwoods farmboy from Planet Sticksville who goes on to discover that his dad was actually Kickass Pilot McSpaceknight, rescues a princess from a space fortress, then turns around and blows up said space fortress with his incredible starfighter piloting skills (and maybe his innate space magic because he's Just That Special) which he learned shooting space varmints, and nobody felt compelled to write a dozen clickbait articles about how Luke Skywalker is the original Mary Sue.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

But if you give her a dick then she's basically Luke Skywalker, backwoods farmboy from Planet Sticksville who goes on to discover that his dad was actually Kickass Pilot McSpaceknight, rescues a princess from a space fortress, then turns around and blows up said space fortress with his incredible starfighter piloting skills (and maybe his innate space magic because he's Just That Special) which he learned shooting space varmints, and nobody felt compelled to write a dozen clickbait articles about how Luke Skywalker is the original Mary Sue.

There were no internet or the concept of clickbait in 1979.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Kai Tave posted:

Maybe Luke is too, but it's also a matter of degrees. All Luke really manages to do is fly an X-Wing (which I agree should be beyond a farm boy) and trust the force to pull the trigger at the right time. Guess what, Star Wars sucks and the writing is bad to horrible for almost the entire seven films I've seen. I'm not defending Luke -or- Rey, but I don't think Rey is worse because she's a female it's because she's plainly a loving Mary Sue to a degree above.

• Locked thread