Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

get that OUT of my face posted:

exactly, so why did these idiots do that?

No bad tactics, only bad targets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

get that OUT of my face posted:

exactly, so why did these idiots do that?

Because they're pieces of poo poo

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The more nuanced answer is that they're socially sheltered and got swept up in the cargo cult version of direct action that says being a piece of poo poo is progressive and effective, and college is the only place where you can get enough of this variety of naive shithead together to exist as a group. From what I've seen, after college they either quickly burn out from the constant toxicity and competitive social structure, they shrink into being a twitter bot with 3 followers, or they get the dubious honor of being a punching bag like arthur chu.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, make a a mistake, get thrown out and ostracized. I like instersectionality alot. the issue is these people arn't practicing it. its just the zealot bullshit so they can feel awsome. the alt right does the same poo poo.

Intersectionality means that you must keep cutting your platform into ever smaller bits, which do not interact with each other and are individually too small to affect anything at all, now sit down, shut the gently caress up and listen.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Intersectionality is a series of people telling other people to educate themselves about what intersectionality is while the impoverished gay black trans woman starves in the street without anyone noticing because she was never invited to the conversation

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
"It's not my job to educate you!" shouted the person who just entered the conversation uninvited in order to tell strangers what to think.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
And if we go further back in time, we can look at the "spoons" exhibit and also learn about the classic dongle incident.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

mysterious frankie posted:

"It's not my job to educate you!" shouted the person who just entered the conversation uninvited in order to tell strangers what to think.

That clown Suey Park pulled that poo poo when given the opportunity to explain the point she was making in an interview after the guy said he wasn't minimalising her opinions or saying she didn't have a right to them but that her saying all of this after misunderstanding satire made it a stupid opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNK-e6nnFGY&t=290s

She kicked up a stink in response to a tweet from @StephenColbert(which, while verified, wasn't his personal account or one controlled by the show, so it might have been a network run thing?) during the Redskins stuff that was in the news a couple of years.

She also said, when asked what she wanted to achieve with #cancelcolbert, that it was a loaded question and seemed like she was on the defensive from the start.

This segment came out of the whole stink which was pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBPgXjkfBXM

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

lohli posted:

That clown Suey Park pulled that poo poo when given the opportunity to explain the point she was making in an interview after the guy said he wasn't minimalising her opinions or saying she didn't have a right to them but that her saying all of this after misunderstanding satire made it a stupid opinion.

She kicked up a stink in response to a tweet from @StephenColbert(which, while verified, wasn't his personal account or one controlled by the show, so it might have been a network run thing?) during the Redskins stuff that was in the news a couple of years.

She also said, when asked what she wanted to achieve with #cancelcolbert, that it was a loaded question and seemed like she was on the defensive from the start.

That nonsense has got to stop. It implicitly is your job to educate people if you enter into discussions with them under the guise of expertise and have arguments for why they should change their conduct that are stronger than "Because you're making me feel bad."

Also don't talk to Josh Zepp. He ironically calls himself "An elite". What's wrong with that Australian boy that he thinks it's good to call himself an elite?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Guy Goodbody posted:

No bad tactics, only bad targets

ah movie bob. he is such a sad fucker.

lohli posted:

thats was one of the things that started me questioning all this poo poo.

mysterious frankie posted:

That nonsense has got to stop. It implicitly is your job to educate people if you enter into discussions with them under the guise of expertise and have arguments for why they should change their conduct that are stronger than "Because you're making me feel bad."

Also don't talk to Josh Zepp. He ironically calls himself "An elite". What's wrong with that Australian boy that he thinks it's good to call himself an elite?

this too. they dont care about educating people. its about Feeling good and superior and assuaging guilt they feel for poo poo thats out of their control or that their ancestor did. the thing is i agree with their core ideals, its just full of weird right wing rheotric styles now and weird zealot poo poo.

steinrokkan posted:

Intersectionality means that you must keep cutting your platform into ever smaller bits, which do not interact with each other and are individually too small to affect anything at all, now sit down, shut the gently caress up and listen.

true. i just mean i like social justice i just want to combine it with genuin economic justice. these people think they can just bully people into being "progressive" or if they rewrite langugage and go full newspeak with all media with only their ideals we would be a utopia. they honest to god want the society from demolition man.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
SJWs are hiding something by an large

quote:

People who show anger over moral issues not directly affecting them may actually be emoting in an effort to quell their own guilt, be it consciously or unconsciously, according to a new study.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Study-Expressing-moral-outrage-is-largely-just-10969478.php

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sounds about right.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

What is Projection?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

What is Projection?

Projection-jection, what's your objection?
Intersecting gays and races and causes...

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Note that the original study demonstrated an increase in anger towards an involved third party caused by guilt, not that anger at injustice is 'largely' a result of maintaining a moral identity.

That's important, because there's a Reason.com article linked there, that tries to take it to the weird conclusion that all altruism is guilt-induced (it's a libertarian site), which isn't supported, nor likely.

Essentially they just showed projection exists, which is probably relevant to a lot of people this thread looks at. But it's difficult to say what is 'real' (empathy motivated) or 'fake' (self-serving) outrage, without really being able to go through someone's head, and see the reasons why. You can't even do that for yourself reliably.

Maybe the problem is relying on anger in the first place, or relying on anger alone, to motivate change. It seems powerful, but it's unreliable.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Control Volume posted:

Intersectionality is a series of people telling other people to educate themselves about what intersectionality is while the impoverished gay black trans woman starves in the street without anyone noticing because she was never invited to the conversation

goddamn this sums it up.

lohli posted:

The problem I notice is that a lot of these people do in fact come from upper class, 1 percent backgrounds. It feels like often times they can't grasp what it's like to be poor or those sorts of things.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

goddamn this sums it up.

The problem I notice is that a lot of these people do in fact come from upper class, 1 percent backgrounds. It feels like often times they can't grasp what it's like to be poor or those sorts of things.

this. but also alot of them come from conservative or right wing christian house holds. so they abandon the politics hard but keep the cutural memes.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

rudatron posted:

Note that the original study demonstrated an increase in anger towards an involved third party caused by guilt, not that anger at injustice is 'largely' a result of maintaining a moral identity.

That's important, because there's a Reason.com article linked there, that tries to take it to the weird conclusion that all altruism is guilt-induced (it's a libertarian site), which isn't supported, nor likely.

lol yeah

I just read this mind-blowing study that claims anything other than the pursuit of relentless self-satisfaction is actually just the pursuit of relentless self-satisfaction in disguise? maybe ayn rand was right...*

(*: NOTE the person who thinks this is DEFINITELY not a psychotic right wing lunatic, but is instead mocking SJWs out of a genuine moral outrage on behalf of the poor blacks or whoever, which is different from the moral outrage SJWs express for the poor blacks or whoever, because it is pure and real)

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
ctrl-f "they"

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
The Dems better not still be obsessing over this poo poo in November 2018, the BOMBSHELL Russia scandal has been imminent every day for months now. It's seriously dumber than Benghazi at this point.

https://twitter.com/hspaulds/status/854503399102001152

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

The Dems better not still be obsessing over this poo poo in November 2018, the BOMBSHELL Russia scandal has been imminent every day for months now. It's seriously dumber than Benghazi at this point.

Meanwhile Trump is signing laws behind the "blue wall" promising to "Hire American, Buy American" and trying to strengthen his base there, possibly even expand it.

goddamn. What a stupid bunch of motherfuckers.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

if trump actually pissing off russia vis-a-vis syria doesn't stop the democratic and media elite from playing up a nonexistent connection between the two, nothing will

ossoff is doing better than expected in that special election because the dems paid attention to it and didn't use the russia poo poo as much on the campaign. imagine if they did that for James Thompson or will actually do it for Jon Quist in Montana (probably not as they're both more populist)

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MaxxBot posted:

lol

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm pretty sure Louise Mensch loves Trump? She's a former Tory right wing troll so I don't think she's a Hillary fan. I think she's just flinging poo poo at everyone for attention.

You need to get caught up, she's a hero to Hillary cultists now for denouncing Trump as a Russian spy

She also thinks everyone else is a Russian spy and is obviously loving crazy but for now's not the time for being selective about one's champions I guess

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
it's really insanely cool how loving mccarthyism has become a leading platform for the left

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Office Surprise Store posted:

it's really insanely cool how loving mccarthyism has become a leading platform for the left

History repeats.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
i wonder what the dems would be doing if russia/trump ties didnt exist. like i know its a bad strategy but if that wasnt an option i honestly cant think of a single dang thing they would be doing besides get more racist and yell about comey.

e: wtf this is def the wrong thread

A Big Fuckin Hornet has issued a correction as of 10:43 on Apr 19, 2017

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Office Surprise Store posted:

Your first mistake was thinking the Democrats are left wing

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/problematic/status/854423259504287744

So this is certainly a thing now.

But really guys. I don't understand how Trump won. It's a mystery.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/problematic/status/854423259504287744

So this is certainly a thing now.

But really guys. I don't understand how Trump won. It's a mystery.

Without any further context I am going to guess that the guy needing to cut his dreads was not a fashion model but somebody in the food service industry, therefore needing to cut them for reasons other than he is black, namely hygine?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

hmmmmm what does that say about this thread

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Byolante posted:

Without any further context I am going to guess that the guy needing to cut his dreads was not a fashion model but somebody in the food service industry, therefore needing to cut them for reasons other than he is black, namely hygine?

I don't think that's unreasonable either. Like If I rocked a mullet to the same sort of job, and was allowed? Then yeah, that policy would be lovely and racist.

But it it's a thing across the board? Yeah, that happens at jobs. Sometimes they have a certain code. The problem with this is culture, fashion, music and what have you are such a bizarre thing in regards to ownership. I mean by definition, us whites should have been offended when Snoop Dogg and Puff Daddy were rocking Ralph Lauren back in the day. But really...no one cared. (and why the gently caress should we? it's a free country. wear whatever the gently caress you want).

It just seems to be a lot of poo poo rich people talk about. I mean poor people don't give a poo poo for the most part. They're far too worried about putting food on the tables then arguing about this sort of crap. I'm just confused as to why this whole "woke' movement is such a major fad now, and why it's not gone away.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
when you have to do disheartening poo poo to pay your rent you have a lot less empathy for other people complaining they have to follow a dress code

if I gotta play the game, you do too rear end in a top hat

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't think that's unreasonable either. Like If I rocked a mullet to the same sort of job, and was allowed? Then yeah, that policy would be lovely and racist.

But it it's a thing across the board? Yeah, that happens at jobs. Sometimes they have a certain code. The problem with this is culture, fashion, music and what have you are such a bizarre thing in regards to ownership. I mean by definition, us whites should have been offended when Snoop Dogg and Puff Daddy were rocking Ralph Lauren back in the day. But really...no one cared. (and why the gently caress should we? it's a free country. wear whatever the gently caress you want).

It just seems to be a lot of poo poo rich people talk about. I mean poor people don't give a poo poo for the most part. They're far too worried about putting food on the tables then arguing about this sort of crap. I'm just confused as to why this whole "woke' movement is such a major fad now, and why it's not gone away.

some cynics have said its like psudo replacement for a hardline religion to lib and lefties since alot of them tend to be on the agnostic/atheist/antithiest side to deal with various guilt. some are doing it for money or to feel special, others are weird zealots or wannabe elitists. i think a decent amount a decent people who get caught up and then feel trapped . they want to be good and progressive and non racist but the people considered are truly "sinless" shrinks everyday and alot of these people hate each other and try to either gently caress each other over or out victim each other.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

http://www.thestranger.com/features...tifies-as-black

interesting. its a genuine activist trying to understand the end result of this bullshit.

also some bob poo poo.

bob is pissed that people are calling Clinton a poo poo candidate and also jerking himself off to how elite he is. his poo poo reads like dumber version of andrew ryans monologues(a game he will never play because EVIL FPS) but dumber and more faux liberalism

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 04:02 on Apr 20, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
There are a subset of people who just love pointless authoritarianism and I will never understand it. Like with the fundie Christians most are happy just practicing their religion, but a lot also insist on having the political realm totally endorse every aspect of their religion. Then you have another subset who aren't happy with those two things and absolutely must go out of their way to make the lives of individual gays and atheists as miserable as humanly possible to satisfy their bizarre authoritarian urges, those people are scum. The mega-woke people like that girl who was physically assaulting some 100lbs white dude for having dreads would be the flipside of that third group.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

There are a subset of people who just love pointless authoritarianism and I will never understand it. Like with the fundie Christians most are happy just practicing their religion, but a lot also insist on having the political realm totally endorse every aspect of their religion. Then you have another subset who aren't happy with those two things and absolutely must go out of their way to make the lives of individual gays and atheists as miserable as humanly possible to satisfy their bizarre authoritarian urges, those people are scum. The mega-woke people like that girl who was physically assaulting some 100lbs white dude for having dreads would be the flipside of that third group.

I still keep thinking of what Kyle Kulinski, David Pakman and others have said in regards to their being two subsets of the "left" (as would be the right). There's the "libertarian" left, of which I imagine most people would shrug their shoulders at a great deal of stuff, and then there's the "authoritarian/conservative" left which we see a lot of today.

If we're doing this on a micro level? Perhaps the attitudes of people like Tipper Gore and Hillary Clinton on various forms of media in the past might be accurate in that regard. Both of whom kinda stood hand in hand with fundies to prevent heavy metal albums and violent video games from being "things" because of "THE CHILDREN!"

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

http://www.thestranger.com/features...tifies-as-black

interesting. its a genuine activist trying to understand the end result of this bullshit.

also some bob poo poo.

bob is pissed that people are calling Clinton a poo poo candidate and also jerking himself off to how elite he is. his poo poo reads like dumber version of andrew ryans monologues(a game he will never play because EVIL FPS) but dumber and more faux liberalism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEJPNiMCiPA

This is all that needs to be posted.

It is just incredibly thick headed and obtuse though. Bob seems to be like some sort of pseudo member of the aristocracy and doesn't understand how the electoral college works. HRC could have easily...easily been POTUS had she actually even tried to campaign in the "Blue wall" states that she thought were a sure thing.

My other thought is...to just flat out assume "sexism" for the Trump side is also idiotic. I've chatted with conservatives, trump supporters and what have you (ie, my own father, others) about figures like Sarah Palin, KellyAnne Conway, Condi Rice, Margaret Thatcher, Nikki Haley and Ann Coulter. All of which are women, all of which were met with high praise, and implications that they would support them had they ran for public office. Hell I've even seen praise for Ivanka Trump and her politics are actually pretty "left" leaning IIRC.

I think the country is ready for a female president, hell it might actually be from the right. I just don't think that people in this country liked Hillary for how she acted personally.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I saw a theory that much of the apathy about Hillary being a woman, especially from younger women, was because many of them didn't believe being a woman candidate was a significant hurdle or a major achievement in and of itself. Ironically the success of feminism may have undercut Hillary's appeals to feminism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Hillary was both held to higher standard with regards to her attitude, dress, demeanour etc due to being a woman and also ran a terrible boneheaded loving campaign that was ultimately the cause of her defeat

• Locked thread