Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

homullus posted:

And then they can walk it back in the third movie when Rey says "I am a Jedi, like Luke Skywalker before me" at some critical, emotional moment, and then they can keep their trademark or whatever and laugh all the way to the bank.

Also, "Force User" is kind of a clunky mouthful. I don't think they're going to stop calling characters Jedi at any point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

kiimo posted:

Welcome to the Star Wars thread enjoy your stay

I'm aware of the Kessel run retcon, I just figured this was an appropriate thread for pendantry.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

tadashi posted:

Actually, looking at it again, I think he gives her a peck on the head so no need for the hug.

Also, it looks like getting up and sitting down might be a pain in that dress/robe she's wearing?

She gives Hamill a big ol' standing hug when he comes out next. I am awful.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

well why not posted:

Icecream Machine guy's name is Willrow Hood

i will die alone

I knew that one too :)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The dude smoking the hookah at Mos Eisley is Dannik Jerriko and he feeds on brains for their luck and he has an undying thirst for Han Solo's brain because of all the luck it possesses.

kill me

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

kiimo posted:

The dude smoking the hookah at Mos Eisley is Dannik Jerriko and he feeds on brains for their luck and he has an undying thirst for Han Solo's brain because of all the luck it possesses.

kill me

ding ding ding we have a winner

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

hiddenriverninja posted:

quick post the most obscure star wars trivia you know

Breast

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

that's not trivia that's legends now

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 18, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hiddenriverninja posted:

quick post the most obscure star wars trivia you know

In A New Hope, when Luke and his uncle are buying the droids, the first droid the old guy picks is actually a Jedi droid, who self-destructs because R2-D2 is meant to fufill his destiny through being bought by random moisture farmers.

His name was Skippy. The Jedi Droid.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Taintrunner posted:

In A New Hope, when Luke and his uncle are buying the droids, the first droid the old guy picks is actually a Jedi droid, who self-destructs because R2-D2 is meant to fufill his destiny through being bought by random moisture farmers.

That was an Infinities story

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Taintrunner posted:

It's a really fun little comic.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I believe that's from Star Wars Tales, which was an anthology series with a bunch of really weird stories.

The most surreal one that I remember was when Han and Chewie did a blind lightspeed jump, and crash land on Earth. Han dies, and Chewie roams the forest becoming the inspiration for the legend of Bigfoot. Indiana Jones discovers the Falcon and finds Han's skeleton.

There were also parodies of Breakfast Club and Fight Club. I recommend checking it out if you can. It's on Marvel Unlimited along with all the other Darkhorse Star Wars comics.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

tadashi posted:

Also, "Force User" is kind of a clunky mouthful. I don't think they're going to stop calling characters Jedi at any point?

Force Stand Users?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

Which kinda sucks. The series could use more of his enthusiasm even if it's just from a producer's chair.

I loved Force Awakens for that reason, but the director of Last Jedi has done my favorite episodes of Breaking Bad, so I am way too excited for this movie.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I loved Force Awakens for that reason, but the director of Last Jedi has done my favorite episodes of Breaking Bad, so I am way too excited for this movie.

Don't get me wrong, Rian Johnson is a far better director. It's just a shame JJ will go from being such a big part of the revival to barely involved.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Isn't he credited for the Episode VIII and IX story treatments?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steve2911 posted:

Don't get me wrong, Rian Johnson is a far better director. It's just a shame JJ will go from being such a big part of the revival to barely involved.

JJ Abrams did the exact same loving thing he did with Star Trek: Into Darkness when he made The Force Awakens. He made everything bigger, dumber, and blander - and it was utterly nonsensical, and in fact, makes Luke Skywalker out to be the biggest rear end in a top hat in the series. The Emperor's dead, Vader's dead, the Imperial High Command has been obliterated in not one, but two Death Star demolitions, and somehow, 30 years later, the Republic gets suddenly obliterated by a bigger, dumber Death Star? TFA opens with a bigger, dumber Star Destroyer? An evil hologram of a mysterious supreme leader is the mastermind of everything still? Meanwhile, outside of Ren the villains are entirely nonthreatening and easily disposed of, as shown by Captain Phasma's fate in the garbage disposal? It's empty spectacle for the sake of spectacle, it offers nothing of value - unlike the tale of a bratty young farmboy who rises above his means and becomes a great hero by insisting on doing the right thing, even if it comes to throwing down his loving sword when faced with the conflict of striking down Darth Vader and the evil Emperor or staying true to his values of a Jedi and redeeming his father - leaving us at the end with the question of "Who's Rey's real parents?" or "What's Snoke's true identity?" instead of some sort of emotionally satisfying standalone character drama about a group of heroes that rely on one another to overcome against impossible odds.

It makes the entire Original Trilogy utterly pointless, a masturbatory exercise in self-perceived destiny that leads to disastrous consequences where a fringe terrorist group can wipe out entire star systems on a whim. The Abrams trademark "Mystery Box" storytelling jammed into a series where the identity of Luke's father is very much resolved and not alluded to, only for the sudden twist in the climax of Empire Strikes Back to be one of the most iconic moments of cinematic history, falls flat when it comes to creating a film that will remain memorable. Star Wars is weird, and takes you to places and things you haven't seen before, grounded in a visual library lifting from historical and political imagery that the common audience is familiar with to tell a strong character drama about central human themes with memorable individuals that grow over time into heroic characters as we watch them on the screen go through trials and tribulations that are fantastical in scope. In a setting where Luke and the Rebellion won the war and overthrown the empire, there was room to tell a tale about winning the peace, and the foundations of a peaceful order out of the chaos that would follow the implosion of a galaxy-wide totalitarian empire. How the Sith would foster hate and chaos to turn a newly free people against one another into an eternal, neverending war - and a new Jedi Order to come together from across the galaxy to lead and stand against madness.

Instead, the climax of Force Awakens features a "reboot" of the trench run.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

C3P-0 has an evil assasin droid twin who works as a mercenary bounty hunter.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You kind of just jammed the qualities and the character progression of three whole movies into one cohesive whole and you're judging TFA against all of that.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AndyElusive posted:

You kind of just jammed the qualities and the character progression of three whole movies into one cohesive whole and you're judging TFA against all of that.

This is a totally fair criticism. But at the end of A New Hope, knowing nothing about the EU, Prequels, etc. - nobody went "But who is Luke's real parents?" His dad was a great hero in the Clone Wars who fought alongside General Kenobi, slain by the evil Lord Vader. It wasn't left to "speculation," or whatever the zine version of endless nerds yelling into a webcam was.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Taintrunner posted:

This is a totally fair criticism. But at the end of A New Hope, knowing nothing about the EU, Prequels, etc. - nobody went "But who is Luke's real parents?" His dad was a great hero in the Clone Wars who fought alongside General Kenobi, slain by the evil Lord Vader. It wasn't left to "speculation," or whatever the zine version of endless nerds yelling into a webcam was.

On the other hand, we have zero idea who the Emperor is.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

HookedOnChthonics posted:

C3P-0 has an evil assasin droid twin who works as a mercenary bounty hunter.

There's a comic right now with an evil Han Solo who has an evil C3PO, evil R2D2 and evil Chewbacca.

It's pretty good.

Edit: Oh yeah I forgot she's an archaeologist, so I guess she's evil Indiana Jones too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

On the other hand, we have zero idea who the Emperor is.

Sure, but its not relevant and it is not teased as a mystery, all that matters is there is one and hes above these chucklefucks in the movie. We also dont know what the hell a T-15 is but it doesnt matter.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Taintrunner posted:

I have some bad news for you about 70s and early 80s Star Wars zines...

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
snoke sucks because he's like a boring old ss-commander in 60s argentina who managed to nuke the united states.
do we really care

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Speaking for myself, my biggest issue with The Force Awakens isn't that it ripped out and used elements of the original Star Wars wholesale-it's that it did it, and then did it badly.

Take the final act of each film, when the Rebellion/Resistance is launching their final attack on the Death Star/Killer Base. As pretty much everyone knows, the original Death Star attack wasn't exactly original-it's basically a shot-for-shot remake of The Dambusters, and went so far as to copy off of original World War II gun cam footage for the dogfight scenes. So, not exactly a lot of originality there.

But the difference is, in both Star Wars and Dambusters, the attack is the focus of the film. Everything up to this point has led up to this moment, and the actual battle is rife with tension as more and more planes and pilots are brought down just short of the final objective. Then, the movie climaxes with a final moment of triumph, as the proton bouncing bomb scores a direct hit on the dam's exhaust port through the power of the British Force.

The Force Awakens has all of this... but the difference is, it's not the focus of the movie. It's basically background action to the standoff between Han and Kylo Ren (which is itself practically a remake of the standoff between Obi-Wan and Darth Vader from the first film), and then any elation from what should be the climax in the base's destruction is headed off by the showdown between Rey/Finn and Kylo. In the original standoff between the Aged Mentor Figure and his fallen apprentice/son, it's an incredibly tense moment that serves a pivotal role in that film (And was probably a ripoff of a Samurai movie, knowing Lucas). But in The Force Awakens, because the focus is split between the standoff and the trench run, the flow of both setpieces is shot to all hell, and ruins what could have otherwise been an emotional (If uncreative) climax had they chosen one of them to fully focus on and develop.

tl;dr, stealing blatantly from the original film isn't the issue, it's stealing blatantly and then mashing everything together badly that weakens the film.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 19, 2017

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Basebf555 posted:

I hate to admit that I'm interested in this but I really am. poo poo like that doesn't just happen by accident, there's gotta be a story there. Were they dating and recently broke up or something?

Maybe Daisy Ridley is a germaphobe like Howie Mandel?

In my half asleep state last night my brain convinced me they didn't have great on set chemistry on TFA (that has somehow been kept hush hush) and its why he has been paired up Kelly Marie Tran for TLJ.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
to stop another thread being about Star Wars for no reason:

Kai Tave posted:

But if you give her a dick then she's basically Luke Skywalker, backwoods farmboy from Planet Sticksville who goes on to discover that his dad was actually Kickass Pilot McSpaceknight, rescues a princess from a space fortress, then turns around and blows up said space fortress with his incredible starfighter piloting skills (and maybe his innate space magic because he's Just That Special) which he learned shooting space varmints, and nobody felt compelled to write a dozen clickbait articles about how Luke Skywalker is the original Mary Sue.

Maybe Luke is too, but it's also a matter of degrees. All Luke really manages to do is fly an X-Wing (which I agree should be beyond a farm boy) and trust the force to pull the trigger at the right time. Guess what, Star Wars sucks and the writing is bad to horrible for almost the entire seven films I've seen. I'm not defending Luke -or- Rey, but I don't think Rey is worse because she's a female it's because she's plainly a loving Mary Sue to a degree above.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

She's not a degree above in Star Wars terms is the point. She fits right in line with what's expected of a Star Wars protagonist but for some weird reason everybody decided to make a way bigger deal about it than it deserved.

e; and are still making a bigger deal about it than it deserves apparently.

well, in my opinion she is a degree above - and maybe that's the end of the argument

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If anybody is a Mary Sue it's Jar Jar because he has the same flaw every mary sue in a self insert fanfic has: They're clumsy

(I am not in the least bit serious)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

iSheep posted:

In my half asleep state last night my brain convinced me they didn't have great on set chemistry on TFA (that has somehow been kept hush hush) and its why he has been paired up Kelly Marie Tran for TLJ.

JJ Abrams talked about it openly. They rewrote a bunch of stuff during the break they got because of Harrison Ford breaking his ankle because those two had such bad chemistry during the first bit of shooting.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Going to throw this out here, but "Grey Jedi" just means a Jedi who bucks the Jedi code. Like, Ashoka is a grey jedi and Qui Gon Jin was sometimes called a grey jedi behind his back. It literally just means "Jedi who doesn't like our arcane doctrine" Like, Anakin was a grey jedi because he got married.

Fake edit: Looks like I was wrong, it meant two things. The first one is what I described and the second was someone who walked the line behind light and dark without falling to the dark.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Going to throw this out here, but "Grey Jedi" just means a Jedi who bucks the Jedi code. Like, Ashoka is a grey jedi and Qui Gon Jin was sometimes called a grey jedi behind his back. It literally just means "Jedi who doesn't like our arcane doctrine" Like, Anakin was a grey jedi because he got married.

Fake edit: Looks like I was wrong, it meant two things. The first one is what I described and the second was someone who walked the line behind light and dark without falling to the dark.

This is the dumbest poo poo who cares

starkebn
May 18, 2004

lol, it's basically "Jedi dance like this, and Sith dance like this"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's like listening to someone explain their fursona.

No, see I'm a psychic vampire my powers are

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

The_Doctor posted:

Hahahaha I finally found it

Hug, hug, hug, oh ok.

He kissed her on the forehead. It's apparently a thing between them. Seeing it in person it was a bit more obvious that it wasn't a cold shoulder thing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

starkebn posted:

lol, it's basically "Jedi dance like this, and Sith dance like this"

Jedi and Sith are just two religions. Powerful religions with warrior monks, but just religions. Two religions that split off the same one in Legends and hinted to in canon.

There are hundreds of force religions in Legends and Canon. The later is focusing more and more on how Jedi and Sith are just two perspectives on things.

What did you expect? :shrug:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The entire NT will be redeemed if there is an impassioned philosophical debate that hinges on the distinction from one with the force and one in being with the force.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Covok posted:

Jedi and Sith are just two religions. Powerful religions with warrior monks, but just religions. Two religions that split off the same one in Legends and hinted to in canon.

There are hundreds of force religions in Legends and Canon. The later is focusing more and more on how Jedi and Sith are just two perspectives on things.

What did you expect? :shrug:

When people try and take it seriously it's about as dorky as I expect :)

dorky in a good natured way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Barudak posted:

The entire NT will be redeemed if there is an impassioned philosophical debate that hinges on the distinction from one with the force and one in being with the force.

They already made that joke in the Doctor Aphra comics when she claims that, judging from the exact text, the conflict between the Ordu Aspectu and the Jedi could have just been an intense philosphical debate about what it means to be immortal in the force.

• Locked thread