Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

zeal posted:

i want to be a slugga boy in this guy's warband

No WAAAAGH but the class WAAAAGH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

my dude looks like he congealed into existence as a result of a wall street journal op-ed about the 'alt-left'

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Enjoy posted:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Enjoy posted:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Enjoy posted:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

No

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

oh yes, starwars is absolutely the battlefield for the next generation of trenchant political insights and hot takes

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

"and so on"

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

It would make me extremely happy if they have Luke sniff and touch his face all the time in the next movie.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Luke is right, the Jedi should end. They offer little utility to the galaxy than as a conduit for space Hitlers to acquire super powers.

Of course, Disney owns Star Wars now so it's never going to end and there's always gonna be more Star Wars until long after we're all dead.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I don't care about any stupid space opera franchise that isn't LOGH and even so I have reserves to it because I'm against Reinhard's authoritarianism, Yang's trust in the liberal bourgeoise democracy and Terraism's absolute retardation.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

I don't care about any stupid space opera franchise that isn't LOGH and even so I have reserves to it because I'm against Reinhard's authoritarianism, Yang's trust in the liberal bourgeoise democracy and Terraism's absolute retardation.

LOGH is in a sense a complete historical drama because, historically speaking, the people who were right rarely ever win. Reactionary forces win out the majority of the time, at least in the short term.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
the jedi sucked and loved huffing thier own farts

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

only sith deal in absolutes

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

LOGH is in a sense a complete historical drama because, historically speaking, the people who were right rarely ever win. Reactionary forces win out the majority of the time, at least in the short term.

Fall of Eagles was a historical drama where the good guys win (Patrick Stewart as Lenin)

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Plutonis posted:

Fall of Eagles was a historical drama where the good guys win (Patrick Stewart as Lenin)

It rules and it's all on youtube

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
The jedi order were basically the dems if they were a group of warrior-monks. The only difference is that the jedi actually wanted to make people's lives better.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

It rules and it's all on youtube

Yeah I watched all of it on YT last year and it's so loving great. Golden standard of TV tbh

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I think its funny that Lucas was such a terrible writer that the Star Wars prequel trilogy spawned a cottage industry of nerds dedicated to interpreting the saga as a subtle deconstruction of its own mythos. It's incredibly common for pop culture franchises to degenerate into self parodies or for authors to inadvertently create morally bankrupt heroes and societies that are open to very different reader or viewer interpretations, but in the case of Star Wars it was so loving bad that a bunch of people concluded it must have been a work of subtle, self-effacing brilliance.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

LoGH is entertaining but its fan reputation for political astuteness can only really be sustained if you take a lot of its apparent stances as ironic, like the worshipful attitude even the democratic characters have toward the narcissistic mass-murderer Reinhard, or the history that blames the fall of democracy on degenerate social liberalism. But those characters and that history are both within the text itself, so it's a potentially defensible reading.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Of course even if you take that reading a lot of fans have those stances totally unironically, like when they frame the question of the series as being 'benevolent dictatorship vs. bad democracy'.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Degenerate Social Liberalism is gonna destroy democracy before we develop FTL travel and I can't wait for a Rudolf von Goldenbaum to reinstate the Holy Earthian Empire in my lifetime.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Interplanetary and probably even interstellar travel were becoming technically feasible by the end of the 1950s, if not earlier. For a single cosmic eye-blink we actually had the mixture of scientific expertise and available resources to make a real space program viable but after a few initial successes we lost all interest and now we may have squandered our best chance to become a space-faring species.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peel posted:

Of course even if you take that reading a lot of fans have those stances totally unironically, like when they frame the question of the series as being 'benevolent dictatorship vs. bad democracy'.

It's clear to me that Reinhard is a Frederick the Great figure. An "enlightened" despot who dedicates his efforts to modernizing the autocracy. But what the show makes clear in its established history and the imperial aristocracy, is that the success of any autocracy depends too heavily on the personality of its despot. There's no guarantee that the empire will outlast Reinhard von Heidrich, because its people now enjoy too many freedoms and democracy survives as a rump state. The reactionary powers of Europe may have defeated a liberalized France, but the French Revolution was a death sentence to autocracy.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'm more pessimistic. The empire does depend on the personality of its autocrat - that's Yang's fundamental criticism - but I don't see a triumph of democracy after Reinhard passes. The rump democracy is in an impossible strategic position, and the empire will degenerate once more, but this time with no external threats to its power. Maybe resistance to this will lead to a revival of democracy, but maybe not.

My basic opposition to Reinhard stems from his decision to invade the FPA. An actual ideal dictator would have pursued peace, but the same great man vision that drives Reinhard in his reforms of the Empire drives him to seek battlefield glory. And he gets that glory, but the real content of his glory is billions of deaths (and democracy in a much weaker position than it would have been otherwise). This reaches its absurd limit toward the end when Julian takes forces to a doomed confrontation with Reinhard because without what amounts to a blood sacrifice he won't take them seriously. Reinhard has been totally taken over by his romantic dreams and lost touch with what good he might be supposed to have been wanted to achieve.

And that vanishing into his own egotism is one of the reasons why autocracies generate bad leaders, but the characters in the story can't get past worshipping the great man in the same way Reinhard does, just from the outside.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Peel posted:

I'm more pessimistic. The empire does depend on the personality of its autocrat - that's Yang's fundamental criticism - but I don't see a triumph of democracy after Reinhard passes. The rump democracy is in an impossible strategic position, and the empire will degenerate once more, but this time with no external threats to its power. Maybe resistance to this will lead to a revival of democracy, but maybe not.

My basic opposition to Reinhard stems from his decision to invade the FPA. An actual ideal dictator would have pursued peace, but the same great man vision that drives Reinhard in his reforms of the Empire drives him to seek battlefield glory. And he gets that glory, but the real content of his glory is billions of deaths (and democracy in a much weaker position than it would have been otherwise). This reaches its absurd limit toward the end when Julian takes forces to a doomed confrontation with Reinhard because without what amounts to a blood sacrifice he won't take them seriously. Reinhard has been totally taken over by his romantic dreams and lost touch with what good he might be supposed to have been wanted to achieve.

And that vanishing into his own egotism is one of the reasons why autocracies generate bad leaders, but the characters in the story can't get past worshipping the great man in the same way Reinhard does, just from the outside.

The FPA was founded by discontent people within the Empire who left, who knows it wouldn't happen again when the Goldenlowe dynasty weakens?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

To those who can hear me, I say - do not despair. The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed - the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peel posted:

I think what most characters know about Reinhard is all surface level stuff, while the show deals directly with his deeper distrust of the masses. He might be a humanitarian, but deep down Reinhard is a reactionary pig. It's questionable whether he'd even tolerate a constitutional monarchy, and I think leaving the future of the galaxy an open question at the end of the series was pretty clever.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
LOGH has the pretense of being a political drama, but that's probably the wrong way to think about it. Logically analysing the position of democracy or whatever is misguided, because the primary purpose of logh is as a power fantasy, not a simulation of history.

Therefore, the hints of a cyclical history must them act as narrative prophecy - the logh universe is doomed to an endless cycles of 'pure' authoriarian dictatorships, that corrupt, that are then replaced by 'pure' democracies, that then corrupt - because that's the political intuition of the author. Whether such a thing is realistic isn't relevant.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The FPA gets destroyed because it 'deserves' it, and Reinhard is the hand of god or some poo poo.

Every mentally balanced character must always admit Reinhards personal impeccability and capability, because the conceit of the show doesn't work otherwise. In particular, all real-world messy political problems, the ones without any real good answers (or that no one individual, however powerful, could solve), can get reduced down to 'well because he was so cool, as a person, that it all worked out'.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

rudatron posted:

Don Watkins is a fellow at the Ayn Rand Institute and coauthor with Yaron Brook of "Equal Is Unfair: America's Misguided Fight Against Income Inequality."

Hahaha that dude... There's a great debate between him and Matt Breunig that almost makes me feel sorry for the guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6gfCkAqna0

Highlights include him not actually knowing what a capitalist is and denying that inequality causes instability except for certain tyrannical regimes like Cuba (the country where Castros have been in power unchallenged for 60 loving years)

Bryter fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 19, 2017

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015
What anime are you guys sperging about?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gatchaman Crowds

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

resar posted:

What anime are you guys sperging about?

Lenin wa Revolution Monogatari Gaiden: Stalin no Yabou

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Bryter posted:

Hahaha that dude... There's a great debate between him and Matt Breunig that's almost makes me feel sorry for the guy.

Highlights include him not actually knowing what a capitalist is and denying that inequality causes instability except for certain tyrannical regimes like Cuba (the country where Castros have been in power unchallenged for 60 loving years)

oh man when the host started reading this dipshit's CV I just busted up laughing, this guy has to be a loving parody

quote:

Free Market Revolution: How Ayn Rand's Ideas Can End Big Government
RooseveltCare: How Social Security is Sabotaging the Land of Self-Reliance
Equal Is Unfair: America's Misguided Fight Against Income Inequality (the subject of the video)

what a clown

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hah, americans are such retards. *posts a prison planet article*

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017
ok so i don't know much about enver hoxha except for bunkers or something but like

is it just me or does he look like a white obama?

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

and i must meme posted:

ok so i don't know much about enver hoxha except for bunkers or something but like

is it just me or does he look like a white obama?

he reminds me of sagan personally but I see what you're saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bryter posted:

Hahaha that dude... There's a great debate between him and Matt Breunig that almost makes me feel sorry for the guy.

I wonder how hard it is to become an ayn rand fellow, do you just send a check or...?