Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
"these guys are huge pussies who lack the constitution for war", says man on comedy web forum who may or may not presently be taking cover from enemy fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

wizard on a water slide posted:

"these guys are huge pussies who lack the constitution for war", says man on comedy web forum who may or may not presently be taking cover from enemy fire

gently caress! Gunfire

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
drat these people are dumb as hell

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I can't wait for the Spike TV (tm) episode of Deadliest Warrior comparing Proud Boys to Antifa

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

zegermans posted:

I can't wait for the Spike TV (tm) episode of Deadliest Warrior comparing Proud Boys to Antifa

It'll probably come down to which side's trust fund runs out first

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

whaley posted:

drat these people are dumb as hell
The best thing antifa could do to marginalize fascists is show up dressed like Middle America and get beaten down in front of the media by a bunch of chuds in MAGA hats and do everything they could to liken the fascists to Jim Crow-era white Southerners.

I get why they're doing what they're doing and what they hope to accomplish, I just don't think there's an endgame to bashing the fash that doesn't involve looking just as bad as the fash by letting them play the victim.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I think America is really coming around to brawling in the streets though. It's basically the only offered course of action that makes sense. More brawling, I say. Let's figure out who runs Barter Town

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Azathoth posted:

The best thing antifa could do to marginalize fascists is show up dressed like Middle America and get beaten down in front of the media by a bunch of chuds in MAGA hats and do everything they could to liken the fascists to Jim Crow-era white Southerners.

I get why they're doing what they're doing and what they hope to accomplish, I just don't think there's an endgame to bashing the fash that doesn't involve looking just as bad as the fash by letting them play the victim.

I used to think this but it's completely wrong actually, since it's predicated on trying to leverage the liberal carceral state to destroy fascists. In reality, fascists are deeply embedded in the military, police, prison, and media. They have made no secret of their desire to infiltrate state security organizations. Even the FBI admitted it - before dismantling the internal watchdog that had been keeping an eye out for fascist infiltrators.

There is a time and place for self-defense, nonviolence, all of these tactics.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
I love watching a riot as much as the next guy, but these antifa/alt-right melees are not politically significant at all. We don't have an organized street violence tradition in North America, when people actually mean business they will show up with guns. I think it sucks, but we are going to see a mass shooting at one of these standoffs pretty soon.

Azathoth posted:

Non-violent resistance has worked pretty well in American history, but if you believe that you are opposing actual fascists its hard to imagine the same techniques being effective.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Reminder: all of this bullshit is because Milo and the other grifters are trying to sell books.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
more books for the book god

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Montasque posted:

Reminder: all of this bullshit is because Milo and the other grifters are trying to sell books.

Call Newsmax to take advantage of our free offer!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Agag posted:

I love watching a riot as much as the next guy, but these antifa/alt-right melees are not politically significant at all. We don't have an organized street violence tradition in North America, when people actually mean business they will show up with guns. I think it sucks, but we are going to see a mass shooting at one of these standoffs pretty soon.
Yeah, this is why I think all the street-fighting is so meaningless. Does antifa really think that, if the chuds start getting beat, those idiots won't just show up doing open carry literally all the time as a deterrent?

And what then? Pack it in and stay home, start a fight and dare them to shoot, start protesting peacefully (which they've already said is bullshit), or open carry yourselves and hope that no one panics or accidentally discharges their weapon and starts everyone shooting?

In what endgame does bashing the fash lead to less fash? It's like the chickenhawk right's idea that if you just bomb enough terrorists, there won't be terrorists anymore.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, this is why I think all the street-fighting is so meaningless. Does antifa really think that, if the chuds start getting beat, those idiots won't just show up doing open carry literally all the time as a deterrent?
One complication is that California doesn't allow open carry.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Wikkheiser posted:

One complication is that California doesn't allow open carry.

Ugh thanks reagan

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Azathoth posted:

And what then? Pack it in and stay home, start a fight and dare them to shoot, start protesting peacefully (which they've already said is bullshit), or open carry yourselves and hope that no one panics or accidentally discharges their weapon and starts everyone shooting?

In what endgame does bashing the fash lead to less fash? It's like the chickenhawk right's idea that if you just bomb enough terrorists, there won't be terrorists anymore.

most are legitimately at heart cowards, a big organized beatdown really doesnt do as much likely as a nice good old fashioned 1-1 fight where you could pick em up and dad-talk em a bit over a beer after, but really, the whole liberal standing around with chants and signs hasn't done a whole lot.

I suppose I'm at a loss, as from the stuff ive heard if they are going to start packing others will too, and thats just a big loving mess just settle on sticks and fists kiddos ffs.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

sneakyfrog posted:

most are legitimately at heart cowards, a big organized beatdown really doesnt do as much likely as a nice good old fashioned 1-1 fight where you could pick em up and dad-talk em a bit over a beer after, but really, the whole liberal standing around with chants and signs hasn't done a whole lot.

I suppose I'm at a loss, as from the stuff ive heard if they are going to start packing others will too, and thats just a big loving mess just settle on sticks and fists kiddos ffs.

Most people on both sides are milling around and filming with their phones, then a smaller number are posturing and shouting at the other side like apes, and then a smaller number again are actually getting themselves ramped up enough for violence. Usually that violence is two or three people from one side beating down an isolated member of the other side, or an armed person beating an unarmed person, as we saw in all the highlight reels/gifs.

Not that any of this is surprising. Without that lifetime of drunken "hardman" culture the average person tries to avoid violence, even if they claim to want violence.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Agag posted:

Most people on both sides are milling around and filming with their phones, then a smaller number are posturing and shouting at the other side like apes, and then a smaller number again are actually getting themselves ramped up enough for violence. Usually that violence is two or three people from one side beating down an isolated member of the other side, or an armed person beating an unarmed person, as we saw in all the highlight reels/gifs.

Not that any of this is surprising. Without that lifetime of drunken "hardman" culture the average person tries to avoid violence, even if they claim to want violence.

well tbf, if you are going there for a fight you aint bringing your phone. at least when that was a thing in :corsair: my day

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

apokaladle posted:

I'm thankful that this iteration of neo-Nazis is especially garbage and terrible, but please take care everyone.

Milk for chugging in front of minorities. Jesus gently caress, how do you not have a long look at yourself in the mirror after writing that out?

The goal is to get the national press to report on it in the same manner as they reported on that other racist emblem of the alt right: a cartoon frog. Its a way to marginalize their opposition by framing the whole thing as the dumbest thing possible to get mad about. Reporting on cartoon frogs and chugging milk aggressively lets the vast majority of sane people write off the whole thing as hypersensitive babies mad about incredibly stupid poo poo. Its basically astroturfing 'manspreading'.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Agag posted:

Non-violent resistance has worked pretty well in American history, but if you believe that you are opposing actual fascists its hard to imagine the same techniques being effective.

Non-violence has worked best when there's a new form of media that's still untarnished. Nonviolence in south worked because the dogs and the hoses were shown on the nightly news. The LA riots happened because somebody caught the LAPD beating Rodney king on a camcorder. The age of the smartphone camera is upon us and we're now drowning in video after video of police violence, but left uncurated, its effects are limited.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

sneakyfrog posted:

but really, the whole liberal standing around with chants and signs hasn't done a whole lot.
Yeah, protests are worthless if you don't then show up at the polls next election (and that includes midterms). The whole point of a protest is to scare elected officials into doing something they don't want to do and make them fear that if they don't fall into line, you'll either vote them out in the general or primary them before that.

Right wing activists figured out how to put the fear of a primary challenge into their members, I cannot fathom why Democrats who want to move the party left don't figure out how to do the same drat thing.

Guess it's easier to feel like you're doing something when you're out in a crowd, even if what you're doing is meaningless without following through on the threat.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Report from Auburn!

This is from 4chan so please take with massive grain of salt:

10-15 Antifas showed up to the protest. The police told them to take off their masks or face arrest. Those that refused were arrested, the rest left the area for now.

Who knows how accurate that is, but so far no fights or much of anything.

E:

What is this cosplay?

E2:

It's Matthew Heimbach and his chaos warriors thats who!

Montasque has issued a correction as of 23:59 on Apr 18, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
figures.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Might be some action after the Nazi rally, but for now it seems Auburn Alabama is no Berkeley California.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
so take your loving masks off friends.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Seems that the cops are allowing non-masked protesters to stay, including carrot man:

https://twitter.com/juliareinstein/status/854466022530842624

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

What is Spencer doing anyway, just yelling on the quad like an outrage preacher?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Every time.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/uwebollocks/status/854465809141379073

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Montasque posted:

Every time.

oh hey matthew heimbach is there on the left. see all the nazis are coming out for this. christ i hope this doesnt happen at my college. my college has a bunch of europa manlet posters spread around a few times.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh hey matthew heimbach is there on the left. see all the nazis are coming out for this. christ i hope this doesnt happen at my college. my college has a bunch of europa manlet posters spread around a few times.

I must not be up on my Nazi genealogy, who's Heimbach? Good to remember that a lot of these people just caravan from one event to the other, though.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

We must secure the existence of our neckbeards, and a future for fat people.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
when they showing up in central florida?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

sneakyfrog posted:

when they showing up in central florida?

From 18 to 35 years of age, mature nazis will return to the streets where they were born to reproduce.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Montasque posted:

We must secure the existence of our neckbeards, and a future for fat people.

yeah thats heimbach.

apokaladle posted:

I must not be up on my Nazi genealogy, who's Heimbach? Good to remember that a lot of these people just caravan from one event to the other, though.

he was like the earliest of what would be alt right by a good many years. he started a the "white student union" and basicaly acted like a massive prick. he outed himself as nazi a few years ago..

https://twitter.com/SteveKingIA/sta...5127%23lastpost

steve king is a nazi sack of poo poo.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Montasque posted:

Every time.

I'm the bald guy back-right who manages to look like a thumb from the neck up even when observed at a normal perspective

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Here's a lovely live stream - it's currently a handful of protesters, some nazis, and people just standing around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rTdRcsSFGk

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

steve king is a nazi sack of poo poo.

I expected more from rural Iowa.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Heaven Spacey posted:

I'm the bald guy back-right who manages to look like a thumb from the neck up even when observed at a normal perspective

I'm the guy in the back in the hammock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Montasque posted:

I'm the guy in the back in the hammock.

I'm the plywood shield.