Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

redeyes posted:

HGST 4TB NAS. I've sold and used a lot of them and had zero die in 2-3 years I think. Not a huge sample size, maybe 25, but I am a huge fan.

Yep, they are pricey but I have had zero issues as well. Had them 3TB Seagate lemons at first. Never again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I just buy what is cheapest from a big name excluding whatever is the worst in those Backblaze reports.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 14, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

WD merged with HGST so some Reds (mostly larger helium drives) are just relabeled HGST drives.
Early external WD 8TB drives contained HGST enterprise drives.

HGSTs are generally more expensive with longer warranty and perhaps slightly better QC/binning if such a thing exists. I view them as WD's enterprise brand.

Stressing the disk hard during the first few hours of use is usually a good idea to accelerate any early failures (see: bathtub curve). I'm very happy with Reds, zero bad sectors over many years and different sized drives.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Alright, attempt #4 to make things work.

This time trying ubuntu ZFS on virtual box to set up plex, domain log in, and other stuff

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

caberham posted:

This time trying ubuntu ZFS on virtual box to set up plex, domain log in, and other stuff

While you certainly can run your NAS OS inside a VM, the model I've seen people happiest with is having the NAS OS be the VM host.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I actually have an empty hardware box with 6 X 4TB hard drives on a supermicro board and octo CPU. But I rather learn how to run everything in a VM before I start tinkering with the actual box

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

caberham posted:

I actually have an empty hardware box with 6 X 4TB hard drives on a supermicro board and octo CPU. But I rather learn how to run everything in a VM before I start tinkering with the actual box

Learning, sure. Production? You want the NAS OS to have hardware level access.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 14, 2017

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

caberham posted:

Wha? You running Ubuntu inside Vbox?

Edit: Nevermind, saw your other post.

Just use the actual hardware, it makes it much satisfying creating arrays and the like. In ZFS you can create and blow away pools in seconds.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Learning, sure. Production? You want the NASCAR OST to have hardware level access.

That autocorrect :laugh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

That autocorrect :laugh:

Its high speed, and crashes often ;)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Spent the evening nuking FreeNAS Corral and installed OpenMediaVault with SnapRAID+mergerFS. It's syncing now, but seems fine?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The new Synology DS1517+ and DS1817+ have specs up on the website. Biggest change is support for PCIe cache SSDs so you don't eat drive bays up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Its high speed, and crashes often ;)

Applies to my NAS right now :v: Sometime in the last few days it stopped responding on HTTP, SSH, and CIFS, but it's still working on NFS... which is what my docker box uses so everything else is still working. :effort:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

IOwnCalculus posted:

Applies to my NAS right now :v: Sometime in the last few days it stopped responding on HTTP, SSH, and CIFS, but it's still working on NFS... which is what my docker box uses so everything else is still working. :effort:

What are you running? Bounce the management services?

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

Thanks Ants posted:

The new Synology DS1517+ and DS1817+ have specs up on the website. Biggest change is support for PCIe cache SSDs so you don't eat drive bays up.

:psyduck: I was ready to upgrade my DS1512+ on day one if they had launched with the new Atom processors. Why would they launch a model with a 4-year-old known defective processor?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

My NAS is stable, but my UPS batteries have kicked the bucket, so while the OS drives are RAID-1'ed, I try to keep current back ups incase we get a hickup and it scramles the drives.

Stutes posted:

:psyduck: I was ready to upgrade my DS1512+ on day one if they had launched with the new Atom processors. Why would they launch a model with a 4-year-old known defective processor?

I wish Intel/NAS manufacturers would push low voltage Xeons instead of Atoms.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8357/exploring-the-low-end-and-micro-server-platforms/17

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 15, 2017

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Think we are kinda of the people on the leading edge and give a poo poo.

Which sometimes aligns with the manufacturers'a interest if we are lucky.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Moey posted:

What are you running? Bounce the management services?

FreeNAS 10, of course :pwn:

Local console is also unresponsive. No idea how it's still serving NFS.

Edit: Well that explains it. Rebooted it and it threw a shitfit trying to mount root, so the USB boot drive is corrupted and/or dead. Guess I'll call this as good a time as any to go back to 9.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 15, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

FreeNAS 10, of course :pwn:

Local console is also unresponsive. No idea how it's still serving NFS.

Edit: Well that explains it. Rebooted it and it threw a shitfit trying to mount root, so the USB boot drive is corrupted and/or dead. Guess I'll call this as good a time as any to go back to 9.

Yeah, if you plan to run off a USB drive, always ensure its going to setup and run from a RAMdisk after booting to prevent excessive read/write.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Stutes posted:

These are appliances, not general purpose servers. Intel promises that the defect is fixed on current produced Avoton atoms, and the NAS vendor doesn't want you to care about what CPU is in your NAS any more than you care what CPU is in your network switch.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
After finally replacing the dead drive in my RaidZ array after 2 years, ZFS is helpfully reporting that one of the Crashplan files is corrupted (I use my server as a backup target). It looks like it's some kind of control file, not a data file, how can I get Crashplan to rewrite that file? The particular computer being backed up only uses 8GB and lives in my house so would the easiest thing be to just delete the backup set and recreate it?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Crashplan gets a lot of well deserved love, but does anyone use SpiderOak? They are offering unlimited data backup for $149/yr until April 22nd.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Out of curiosity, what is it that SpiderOak does that CrashPlan does not? CrashPlan individual is $60/yr and Family is $150/yr.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

DrDork posted:

Out of curiosity, what is it that SpiderOak does that CrashPlan does not? CrashPlan individual is $60/yr and Family is $150/yr.

I don't really know, they seem pretty comparable and I was thinking about finally getting some backup service, more for family members than myself. Spideroak seems heavily focused on privacy and the fact that you hold onto your own encryption keys. I know you can configure Crashplan like that as well though.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

It could be just a weird thing on my end but I've had some funky issues with Spideroak backup and sync on its own. Their app seems overly clunky and slow as well.

Anyways, being spoiled by Dropbox, I went back to them with Boxcryptor for encryption. I've been able accumulate almost 30GB over the last 4 years, so it suites my needs.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
You can keep your own keys with crashplan.

Edit: Well, you can encrypt the data set with a single key that you keep, not sure about multiple keys.

JacksAngryBiome fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 19, 2017

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
OK I resolved my crashplan issue, just deleted the server as a destination on the client and readded it, it removed the corrupted control file and backed up just fine.

I've discovered that all my problems are related to a bad port on my 5-in-3 enclosure, so I need to replace that. Any reccomendations for what's hot now? I had two IcyDock enclosures and now they've both failed me, while my SuperMicro that predates them both is still chugging along, but it only has 2 power plugs whereas my IcyDock had 3 (do bigger drives require more power?). I'm also intrigued by the trayless options because they're cheaper and don't require fiddling with drive trays, but I don't want something that's going to give me tons of trouble.

I used to care about the looks of my server because it lived in our second bedroom in the apartment, which is why I got all the matching IcyDock enclosures, but now it lives in a room in my basement so I care more about it just working.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

EconOutlines posted:

It could be just a weird thing on my end but I've had some funky issues with Spideroak backup and sync on its own. Their app seems overly clunky and slow as well.

Anyways, being spoiled by Dropbox, I went back to them with Boxcryptor for encryption. I've been able accumulate almost 30GB over the last 4 years, so it suites my needs.

I think in the packrats thread suggesting Dropbox and 30GB backup set isn't a reasonable comparison. My crashplan console says: 2,531,854 files / 11.4 TB and I'm probably in the low end around here.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Hughlander posted:

I think in the packrats thread suggesting Dropbox and 30GB backup set isn't a reasonable comparison. My crashplan console says: 2,531,854 files / 11.4 TB and I'm probably in the low end around here.

It's a perfectly reasonable solution for probably 98% of people, the same way that a cheap franken-box is probably a reasonable solution for a lot more people than is a custom built ZFS/Xeon/fiber-channel rack-mount. No reason not to mention rational solutions from time to time.

That said I'm still pricing out fiber lines for my house because gently caress reasonable!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

OK I resolved my crashplan issue, just deleted the server as a destination on the client and readded it, it removed the corrupted control file and backed up just fine.

I've discovered that all my problems are related to a bad port on my 5-in-3 enclosure, so I need to replace that. Any reccomendations for what's hot now? I had two IcyDock enclosures and now they've both failed me, while my SuperMicro that predates them both is still chugging along, but it only has 2 power plugs whereas my IcyDock had 3 (do bigger drives require more power?). I'm also intrigued by the trayless options because they're cheaper and don't require fiddling with drive trays, but I don't want something that's going to give me tons of trouble.

I used to care about the looks of my server because it lived in our second bedroom in the apartment, which is why I got all the matching IcyDock enclosures, but now it lives in a room in my basement so I care more about it just working.

Either go with the Supermicro adapter or get a backplane-less adapter.

Or do what I did and scrounge a rackmount box off of Craigslist / eBay. I snagged a Norco 4020 on CL for $100 a while back, and just snagged a X8DT6-F off of this guy on eBay, who said he's got some more complete boxes with that board coming up too.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

DrDork posted:

It's a perfectly reasonable solution for probably 98% of people, the same way that a cheap franken-box is probably a reasonable solution for a lot more people than is a custom built ZFS/Xeon/fiber-channel rack-mount. No reason not to mention rational solutions from time to time.

That said I'm still pricing out fiber lines for my house because gently caress reasonable!

98% of the people don't belong in this thread though. The 98% wouldn't think of a home NAS to begin with. At most they'd do a WD Book or something.

That does remind me though I think in the next year I'm going to add another 6-8 drives and move to a rackmount case. Any thread recommendations for something that will let me hot swap 15-16 drives?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
OK, another problem with my ZFS pool. I have 2 RaidZ vdevs, one was wall 3TB drives, the other was a mix of 1.5TB and 3TB drives so effectively all 1.5TB drives. I've replaced all the 1.5TB drives with 3TB drives. Even though the drives have been fully resilvered zpool status still says the drives are replacing, and every time I reboot it tries to resilver them all again. I also can't get the pool to actually expand.
code:
        NAME                                          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        storage                                       DEGRADED     0     0     0
          raidz1-0                                    DEGRADED     0     0     0
            replacing-0                               ONLINE       0     0     0
              sdg                                     ONLINE       0     0     0
              sde                                     ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
            sdf                                       ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdh                                       ONLINE       0     0     0
            replacing-3                               DEGRADED     0     0     0
              1076174836740052362                     UNAVAIL      0     0     0  was /dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMSUNG_HD155UI_S2HEJX0C600064-part1
              sdk                                     ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
            sdi                                       ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
          raidz1-1                                    ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdm                                       ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdj                                       ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68AX9N0_WD-WMC1T0907552  ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
            sdl                                       ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68AX9N0_WD-WCC1T0390528  ONLINE       0     0     0
The UNAVAIL device was physically removed after I replaced it with sdk, sdg is the last 1.5TB device in the system which has already been replaced with sde, but ZFS is resilvering it AGAIN. I've tried to zpool offline and zpool detach both of these devices but it says it can't because no replicas exist (not true!). How do I get the "replacing" drives finally removed from the pool so it can expand.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've been futzing about with a hand-me-down D-Link DNS-323. It's running nicely, but I'm having a hell of a time finding free backup software that will copy files to it automatically. Anyone have any suggestions for doing that on Windows 10?

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

THF13 posted:

Crashplan gets a lot of well deserved love, but does anyone use SpiderOak? They are offering unlimited data backup for $149/yr until April 22nd.

I'm by no means putting SpiderOak through its paces with my usage, but I've been using it for a little under two years. The only issues with the software I've ever hard has been when I wanted to run it on Arch Linux, and even then I installed it by converting a Debian package to an AUR so I didn't exactly take the "happy path." My main reason for using them is their focus on privacy. I have recommended it to friends and coworkers and would happily continue to do so. I've never used Crashplan or any of the other major providers though, so my experience is limited.

Dr. Poz fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 20, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

OK, another problem with my ZFS pool.
I suspect you might be using ZFS on Linux, and have run into something that's mentioned all too little: namely that Linux, in its infinite wisdom, doesn't have persistent device IDs.
Thankfully, ZFS was designed such that even silly choices about device numeration isn't a completely unfixable situation, so you can export your zpool, then do 'zpool import -d /dev/disk/by-partlabel poolname'.

Bieeardo posted:

I've been futzing about with a hand-me-down D-Link DNS-323. It's running nicely, but I'm having a hell of a time finding free backup software that will copy files to it automatically. Anyone have any suggestions for doing that on Windows 10?
Unlike previous editions of Windows 10, even Windows 10 Home now supports doing backup (file history, as it confusingly calls it) to UNC paths (ie network destinations) - so you simply need to share a folder on your NAS with SMB, then mount that folder in Windows, and tell Windows 10 to use that.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 20, 2017

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I'll look into that!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, running ZFS on Linux (though this pool was created many years ago on an OpenSolaris machine).

I'm not sure what the -d option would do for me. All the physical disks present in the machine and attached to the pool are showing as online. The one UNAVAIL disk has been phyically removed from the system. The problem is that ZFS still thinks it's replacing the disks even after it's completely resilvered onto the replacement device.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Dr. Poz posted:

I'm by no means putting SpiderOak through its paces with my usage, but I've been using it for a little under two years. The only issues with the software I've ever hard has been when I wanted to run it on Arch Linux, and even then I installed it by converting a Debian package to an AUR so I didn't exactly take the "happy path." My main reason for using them is their focus on privacy. I have recommended it to friends and coworkers and would happily continue to do so. I've never used Crashplan or any of the other major providers though, so my experience is limited.

What is the focus on privacy? CrashPlan encrypts the backups by default, has an option to add a second password that's not your account password to access the default key on the server, and finally allows you to do so with your own supplied key that's never sent to the server if you want the max security. (With obviously no case of recovery if you lose said key.) I'm approaching it from the opposite end, I'm about to hit year 3 with my CrashPlan subscription and haven't used others.

I may give the free tier a try but it seems that the feature set is less than CrashPlan for some things that I use at least once a month. IE: Grab a random file from an offline computer and view it on my phone. Browse deleted files from last year and choose a directory to restore since I didn't think I'd want to watch that TV show but changed my mind. etc...

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

D. Ebdrup posted:

I suspect you might be using ZFS on Linux, and have run into something that's mentioned all too little: namely that Linux, in its infinite wisdom, doesn't have persistent device IDs.
Or use /dev/disk/by-id

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Hughlander posted:

98% of the people don't belong in this thread though. The 98% wouldn't think of a home NAS to begin with. At most they'd do a WD Book or something.

That does remind me though I think in the next year I'm going to add another 6-8 drives and move to a rackmount case. Any thread recommendations for something that will let me hot swap 15-16 drives?

Maybe something from Norco? Ri-vier is good too if you're in Europe.