Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Nah, don't get me wrong, that sequence is about Shinji being gross and selfish... in the context of having a nervous breakdown, because he's a child soldier caught in the middle of a power play between adults whose motives he doesn't understand and who have constantly abused his trust.

Like, EoE is not just some self-referential ouroboros about Evangelion fans. It's got a much broader variety of things to say than that.

The fact that there's a context around Shinji's actions doesn't change the fact that the film really, really wants you to hate him despite him being the audience surrogate. It's hard to see why else you'd open with him masturbating to a comatose girl, have said girl (who has an equally tragic backstory) have the bulk of the heroic moments in the film while Shinji cowers uselessly, and then end with Shinji trying to strangle her while she says to him with full contempt "how disgusting".

Essentially I agree with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAMAwErYRpQ

ImpAtom posted:

Evangelion isn't a bitter "you loving suck and I hate you" thing. It's genuinely a work that has something to say about relationships between people and how hosed up and messed up they can be. There is an undercurrent of anger to it but the anger isn't just at hardcore fans because they suck but anger at a lot of things including Anno having anger at himself. The franchise is critical as a whole of anime nerds but keep in mind that criticism includes the staff. It isn't people doing a gently caress-you to people they hate, it involves a lot of personal elements, self-loathing and a healthy dose of massively slashed budget.

But it's also sympathetic and it cares. It doesn't want you to go to hell. It wants people to grow and become better. Shinji is a hosed-up and broken kid and you're supposed to pity him, not hate him. The only thing Evangelion really truly despises is people who cut themselves off entirely and even them it treats as sad, not evil.

I think that sympathy essentially disappears for EoE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Maybe I'm crazy but all the people in this movie look like they were drawn from referencing people in Pinocchio (except above is just an example of someone who doesn't know how to draw)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ThermoPhysical posted:

I feel like I've been summoned here by this post. Seriously, I want Clawhauser to get more screen time in the inevitable sequel.

We clearly need a Clawhauser spinoff. Either a movie or a tv series

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
there are no heroic moments in EoE, and the real audience surrogate is Misato

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Those stills really have a 40s Disney feel, and look at Joe's thumb, it's a loving flesh ribbon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fangz posted:

The fact that there's a context around Shinji's actions doesn't change the fact that the film really, really wants you to hate him despite him being the audience surrogate. It's hard to see why else you'd open with him masturbating to a comatose girl, have said girl (who has an equally tragic backstory) have the bulk of the heroic moments in the film while Shinji cowers uselessly, and then end with Shinji trying to strangle her while she says to him with full contempt "how disgusting".

The fact that you see a hosed up and broken teenager and hate him for something disgusting he did at his very lowest moment is not really something the film supports, no. You're supposed to find it disgusting but a major theme in Evangelion is that everyone has done disgusting things. You post on SomethingAwful.com and in something less your lowest moment you've probably laughed at the misery of others, made jokes about torture and death, or something else you're ashamed and disgusted by and would never admit. You, as the audience, see the character do this thing and it is horrifying and shocking but never portrayed as anything but. It is a broken act of a broken individual struggling to find some relevant desperate feeling as his life is stripped away from him. It does not make it good, likable or sympathetic but Evangelion doesn't hate Shinji even at the end. It pities him.

At the end of the day however it says that Shinji, as pitiable and pathetic as he is, is a living being who deserves to exist. It doesn't say he's a hero, it doesn't say he's a great person. It says he's a living being. The big thing Evangelion stresses is that even if life sucks you should live it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
All my friends watched Evangelion during high school. I thought it was kinda neat as a very strange alien invasion story but all the philosophy and mythology and pseudoscience and mysticism went totally over my head. I lost interest halfway through.

One of my friends got suuuper into that stuff and it was all he talked about for years. He thought it was like the deepest thing ever.

Other friends talked mainly about the boobs

I just wanted to watch a cool action/sci-fi cartoon show :shrug:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

That face that kid is pulling reminds me a bit of Joan Cornelia's comics. He's going to pull out a knife stab his uncle, and then himself in a glorious blood fountain

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The fact that you see a hosed up and broken teenager and hate him for something disgusting he did at his very lowest moment is not really something the film supports, no. You're supposed to find it disgusting but a major theme in Evangelion is that everyone has done disgusting things. You post on SomethingAwful.com and in something less your lowest moment you've probably laughed at the misery of others, made jokes about torture and death, or something else you're ashamed and disgusted by and would never admit. You, as the audience, see the character do this thing and it is horrifying and shocking but never portrayed as anything but. It is a broken act of a broken individual struggling to find some relevant desperate feeling as his life is stripped away from him. It does not make it good, likable or sympathetic but Evangelion doesn't hate Shinji even at the end. It pities him.

At the end of the day however it says that Shinji, as pitiable and pathetic as he is, is a living being who deserves to exist. It doesn't say he's a hero, it doesn't say he's a great person. It says he's a living being. The big thing Evangelion stresses is that even if life sucks you should live it.

That's a cool and good moral angle, but I'm talking about how EoE presents Shinji. You don't begin and end a movie on a character's worst moment if you want the audience to like him.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fangz posted:

That's a cool and good moral angle, but I'm talking about how EoE presents Shinji. You don't begin and end a movie on a character's worst moment if you want the audience to like him.

EoE begins and ends with his worst moments, but in between he saves the entire human race by making the correct decision to accept suffering and misunderstanding as the necessary cost of human existence. That's not a message of spite or hatred, it's a message of "all this, and yet..."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Anyways, there's nothing uniquely deep or special about Evangelion beyond good character writing, it's just that it deliberately hides the ball re: setting lore-wanking, which leaves you nothing else to talk about except "what are these people doing to each other and what does it mean." I am far less interested in holding up Evangelion in particular than I am in getting people to talk about all fiction that way (a battle I fought and lost in ADTRW. :v: )

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Anime is poison

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

PenguinKnight posted:

That face that kid is pulling reminds me a bit of Joan Cornelia's comics. He's going to pull out a knife stab his uncle, and then himself in a glorious blood fountain

so that's what his smile reminded me off, I was just thinking it looks weirdly familiar.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

Anime is poison

hes right

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I listed a lot of good, non-Ghibli anime movies, and once I see it, I expect A Distant Voice to be another. But Your Name sucks.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

What's with the Your Name hate the past couple pages :( Maybe if you're super sensitive to melodrama, I could see how it might be grating. I thought it was a cute story with a nice emotional core though :shobon: If you're going to watch a Shinkai film, Your Name is definitely his best effort and it wasn't as "cringy" (I guess?) as his other films.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Hedrigall posted:

I wish they'd move the Ghibli blurays into the normal animation section at the stores I visit so I don't have to step into the anime aisle

My Barnes and Noble do this because it's Disney. I think the Gkids stuff is in anime though even if its french

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

EoE begins and ends with his worst moments, but in between he saves the entire human race by making the correct decision to accept suffering and misunderstanding as the necessary cost of human existence. That's not a message of spite or hatred, it's a message of "all this, and yet..."

He doesn't save the human race, he opts out of the collective consciousness. The sea of tang is still there. Whether him leaving the tang is good or bad is pretty unclear.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fangz posted:

He doesn't save the human race, he opts out of the collective consciousness. The sea of tang is still there. Whether him leaving the tang is good or bad is pretty unclear.

Nah, it's absolutely clear. His moment of truth isn't "I don't want this," it's "this is wrong," and his decision precipitates Yui's declaration that anyone who wishes to return will be able to do so.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
In good movie news, The Red Turtle kicks rear end and that's a great loving movie 10/10 would Red Turtle.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

teagone posted:

What's with the Your Name hate the past couple pages :( Maybe if you're super sensitive to melodrama, I could see how it might be grating. I thought it was a cute story with a nice emotional core though :shobon: If you're going to watch a Shinkai film, Your Name is definitely his best effort and it wasn't as "cringy" (I guess?) as his other films.

I forgot about Mt. St. Helens in 3 years

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Pick posted:

I forgot about Mt. St. Helens in 3 years

Well that explains it. You're a monster :gonk:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Motto posted:

hes right

nah, anime is good blood

Pick posted:

In good movie news, The Red Turtle kicks rear end and that's a great loving movie 10/10 would Red Turtle.

That is a good lookin movie :eyepop:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Anime is cartoons.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I need to give Cowboy Bebop a shot. I bought the blurays after all

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Anime, more like anaemic am I rite?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Hedrigall posted:

I need to give Cowboy Bebop a shot. I bought the blurays after all

do yourself a favour and watch it in Japanese, don't fall for the dub hype

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

teagone posted:

Hey man, I like Your Name and Shinkai too. High five?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Anime, more like anaemic am I rite?

I am so terribly sorry that we're talking about cartoons in a context that is making you uncomfortable with the thread, Hedrigall. My heart bleeds for you.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

*casts fishing line*

A Silent Voice is by the director who made k-on

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I am so terribly sorry that we're talking about cartoons in a context that is making you uncomfortable with the thread, Hedrigall. My heart bleeds for you.

Hahaha

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

:boom:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh maaaaan I got owned :ohdear:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

:drat:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
For serious, did anyone get that massive Miyazaki box set that came out a couple of years ago? I've been salivating over it but I recently heard it's super barebones with no special features. Now I'm just considering getting the individual titles I want because they at least have some making of stuff.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

hosed up that I got bait-ninjaed like that

Barudak
May 7, 2007

teagone posted:

In addition to all of the above it involves time travel which gently caress that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

starkebn posted:

do yourself a favour and watch it in Japanese, don't fall for the dub hype

99% of dubs in this world are loving awful.

Also, Cowboy Bebop is a dope movie, made even better after watching the series.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Drifter posted:

99% of dubs in this world are loving awful.

Also, Cowboy Bebop is a dope movie, made even better after watching the series.

the only good ones are the ones from shows I watched as a kid :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Dubs can enhance comedy but either the original needs to be really bad to begin with so you have nothing to lose, or the dub team needs to take a genuine creative role and not just try to reproduce the original 1:1. (True of all translations, really.) Or ideally, both.