Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKdcjJoXeEY

I hope no one ever tries to pull off the producers in real life.

Its worldwide total is $152.1 million. Its made its money back from production. A sequel might be on the cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WMain00 posted:

Its worldwide total is $152.1 million. Its made its money back from production. A sequel might be on the cards.

It was co-produced by Shanghai Film Group and Huahua Media so the international box office counts somewhat more than it used to but it doesn't seem to be doing that well in China so I don't know if they'd really be that happy with how it's tracking.

It's been out in Japan for nearly 2 weeks but it's made less than $4 million there so they clearly haven't flocked to see it.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Well, poo poo. The movie isn't even playing in my area anymore, so it looks like I missed my chance to see it in the theater.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

WMain00 posted:

Thanks to Hollywood accounting, a film has to make twice it's budget at the domestic box office to break even. With worldwide returns, its more like three times that budget.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Young Freud posted:

Thanks to Hollywood accounting, a film has to make twice it's budget at the domestic box office to break even. With worldwide returns, its more like three times that budget.

The latter isn't the case with the new Chinese/American co-productions, much of the Asian market can actually weigh heavier than the US market on some of these.

That said, thinking that an international gross in the 150m range would have it already profitable is ridiculous. They would somehow need to be taking 100% ticket sales from theaters worldwide and have spent $0 on advertising. There's no way it gets remotely close to sequel territory at this rate.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Yeah, I don't think marketing this thing has been cheap. It may have been a pretty incoherent campaign, but it was also a pretty extensive one.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

The latter isn't the case with the new Chinese/American co-productions, much of the Asian market can actually weigh heavier than the US market on some of these.

That said, thinking that an international gross in the 150m range would have it already profitable is ridiculous. They would somehow need to be taking 100% ticket sales from theaters worldwide and have spent $0 on advertising. There's no way it gets remotely close to sequel territory at this rate.

The "three times figure" really comes from American studios getting on average a third of the international box office returns internationally after foreign distributors get their cut and dealing with tariffs and such. I'm not sure how China figures into this, although I've heard it's lower per capita ticket sales due to piracy and distributor shenanigans but the larger population cancels that out.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Young Freud posted:

The "three times figure" really comes from American studios getting on average a third of the international box office returns internationally after foreign distributors get their cut and dealing with tariffs and such. I'm not sure how China figures into this, although I've heard it's lower per capita ticket sales due to piracy and distributor shenanigans but the larger population cancels that out.

Yeah, I know. My point was that this was not solely an American Studio production but a coproduction with a studio in Shanghai that bore a lot of the cost and has ties to domestic theaters as well as chains in other parts of Asia. So a little more revenue will go to the production studios than typical.

But not nearly enough to call this film a success or expect sequels, so it's kind of splitting hairs.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Bugblatter posted:

Well they used all the source material for this movie, they never planned to make a sequel.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

is this worth watching in 3d?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

KinkyJohn posted:

No. I saw it in IMAX 3D and the IMAX was a far bigger selling point than the 3D part of it.

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012
Mira Killian is a dumb name.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
That's what happens when roboticists choose names.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I saw it, thought it was neato how they imitated so many scenes from the anime.

Batou choosing the 'Tacticool' eyes was pretty funny.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I saw Ghost in the Shell over the weekend and enjoyed it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The great thing about movies bombing is that when they're good you get the added benefit of having all but an entire theater to yourself.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

K. Waste posted:

The great thing about movies bombing is that when they're good you get the added benefit of having all but an entire theater to yourself.

hell yeah

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

K. Waste posted:

... unless they bomb so hard that the local theaters pull them before you have the chance to see them. :(

No doubt cinematic masterpiece "Boss Baby" will be around for months though.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

KinkyJohn posted:

It's up with Prometheus for best implementation of 3D that I've seen. The other guy might have had a poorly calibrated theater maybe? Most of the people in this thread spoke positively of the 3D even when they didn't like much else.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ersatz posted:

... unless they bomb so hard that the local theaters pull them before you have the chance to see them. :(

No doubt cinematic masterpiece "Boss Baby" will be around for months though.

I bet Boss Baby is more rewatchable than this pile of CGI-arbage.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Bugblatter posted:

It's up with Prometheus for best implementation of 3D that I've seen. The other guy might have had a poorly calibrated theater maybe? Most of the people in this thread spoke positively of the 3D even when they didn't like much else.

The 3D just didn't stand out to me. I think it's a gorgeous looking movie that doesn't need the 3D to enjoy the visuals, having a big screen is enough.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tenzarin posted:

I bet Boss Baby is more rewatchable than this pile of CGI-arbage.

Put your money where your mouth is & watch Boss Baby twice.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Put your money where your mouth is & watch Boss Baby twice.

Dear god.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Even in NYC there are quite a few theaters that have completely dropped Ghost in the Shell already, it's crazy.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I'm sure everything marginal is being dropped for another F&F screen.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My entire self-worth is based upon movies doing well or bad.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'm less down on Ghost in the Shell and more just surprised that what is sold as a sci-fi action movie starring Scarlett Johansson with a lot of marketing is already going away. Like Lucy made crazy money and was around here for an absurdly long time. I've been really critical of a lot of aspects of the movie's production throughout this thread I'm not going to act like I wasn't, but I genuinely expected it to do really well just from the combination of Scarlett Johansson + sci-fi stuff + action movie.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Paolomania posted:

I'm sure everything marginal is being dropped for another F&F screen.

You mean Guardians Vol. 2?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Young Freud posted:

You mean Guardians Vol. 2?

a movie with the highest grossing opening of all time, or a movie that wont be released for another two weeks

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

at least Boss Baby isn't a sequel or a remake

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FuturePastNow posted:

at least Boss Baby isn't a sequel or a remake

It's a (loose) adaptation of a children's book

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's also just kind of an extension the current Alec Baldwin brand.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm less down on Ghost in the Shell and more just surprised that what is sold as a sci-fi action movie starring Scarlett Johansson with a lot of marketing is already going away. Like Lucy made crazy money and was around here for an absurdly long time. I've been really critical of a lot of aspects of the movie's production throughout this thread I'm not going to act like I wasn't, but I genuinely expected it to do really well just from the combination of Scarlett Johansson + sci-fi stuff + action movie.

Ghost in the Shell got destroyed by the white washing which turned out to really not be the case about the movie and is apart of the story, but good luck explaining that to people.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

a movie with the highest grossing opening of all time, or a movie that wont be released for another two weeks

I've never seen any of the Fast & Furious movies and don't intend to.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 21, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Uh, Fast and Furious 5-7 are legit great action movies. You are missing out.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Ghost in the Shell got destroyed by the white washing which turned out to really not be the case about the movie and is apart of the story, but good luck explaining that to people.

The trailers sure as poo poo didn't explain that. Or anything else.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Are you white?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

Are we now complaining that the trailer didn't show the third act reveal? I don't even agree with his argument, but what?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

Ooh totally, the marketing was really bad.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

Are we now complaining that the trailer didn't show the third act reveal? I don't even agree with his argument, but what?

Should have been revealed both in the trailer and at the start of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

I was suggesting that the poor performance of the film at the box office is more likely due to a really lovely marketing campaign than the accusations of white washing.

• Locked thread