Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

"The Devil of the Garment District" just has less punch.

To last conscious henchman:
"You crawl back to Kingpin and tell him I run this gayborhood now"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

In general you're just kind of an idiot if you're operating as a super villain in NY in the Marvel Universe. I mean, the Avengers and Fantastic Four have office buildings there and the X-Men have a suburban home. That's before you get to the hundreds of random heroes and like the center place of the magic world in Strange's sanctum.

Go cause poo poo in Portland or LA or something. The West Coast gets all the silliest heroes and teams.

The backstory of the Runaways is that there was a team of supervillains on the West coast who were about to conquer the world completely unopposed, but their kids found out and stopped them

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I was trying to think of a West Coast superhero besides going all the way back to the West Coast Avengers and all I could come up with was the Runaways and the story that literally starts with "there's no drat heroes here so the super villains can act with impunity."

And I feel like half the villains the Runaways fought were to make the joke of "drat it, I thought I'd be free of this poo poo when I got away from Spider-Man."

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 18, 2017

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
A gang of super villains goes to take over Hollywood only to find out it's already all villains.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

STAC Goat posted:

But Smallville's a town surrounded by farms while Hell's Kitchen is like 20 blocks in the middle of one of the densest population centers in the world. You don't cross the "Hell's Kitchen border" and feel like you're in a new city. You just crossed a street on your way to work or going somewhere. There's millions coming in and out of the neighborhood and a whole ton of DD's stuff doesn't even happen in "Hell's Kitchen."

NYC neighborhoods are like a cultural and identity thing but they're utterly meaningless in the sense of separation in Manhattan. Daredevil could live in Chelsea or Clinton and it wouldn't change much of anything.

It would make the unflinching vendetta against the Kingpin have a little more punch. That son of a bitch just never stops wearing white, regardless of Labor Day. Truly the most vicious of the fashion criminals.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

I like Jessica Jones a lot, but I do think that the amount of time the show spends on trying to get Kilgrave alive to free that lady, only for the lady to kill herself to remove the obstacle to killing Kilgrave, is a weakness.

Really? I thought that was kind of perfectly done. The whole reason Jones doesn't kill him for most of the show is to save her, and when she's gone.. the problem is gone and the final kill makes sense.

Right now I'd rank the shows:

1) Daredevil Season 1 / Jessica Jones tie
2) Luke Cage and Daredevil Season 2A tie (Punisher arc)
3) Teenage Mutant Ninja Hand Daredevil Season 2B (I hate the Hand)
4) Poor loving Iron Fist, I didn't even finish it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Daredevil Season 2A might be up with JJ and DD S1 for me. It was really well-done and the tension between Matt, Punisher, and Karen played out extremely well on screen and was good pay-off on Karen's S1 actions. It was also probably Matt/DD at his best as well and I ended up enjoying the single take action shot better than the one in S1.

edit: There is one thing I'll say for Ironfist and that I really liked Gao and how she and Bokudo made the Hand a little more interesting. If only they'd found a better actor and writer for Bokudo :(

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 19, 2017

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Gyges posted:

That son of a bitch just never stops wearing white, regardless of Labor Day. Truly the most vicious of the fashion criminals.

"This worries me. The drug trafficking, and this suit! What was Melvin thinking?!"

The Devil of the Garment District, Tim Gunn.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

Really? I thought that was kind of perfectly done. The whole reason Jones doesn't kill him for most of the show is to save her, and when she's gone.. the problem is gone and the final kill makes sense.

That's what made it feel so saturday morning cartoony. Can't defeat the bad guy until the finale so let's find ways to pad this out for 13 episodes and at the end just do what they could have done at any time prior.

I ended up not really liking iron fist either, after Danny finally summons the fist a few episodes in I expected it's just getting started but then it went back on that. :( Should have had more magic kung fu, maybe even have Danny fight other mystical warriors or powered people. Not showing anything of kunlun just felt cheap too.

Kind of felt like the iron fist thing was underutilized and tacked on.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 19, 2017

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

But Smallville's a town surrounded by farms while Hell's Kitchen is like 20 blocks in the middle of one of the densest population centers in the world. You don't cross the "Hell's Kitchen border" and feel like you're in a new city. You just crossed a street on your way to work or going somewhere. There's millions coming in and out of the neighborhood and a whole ton of DD's stuff doesn't even happen in "Hell's Kitchen."

NYC neighborhoods are like a cultural and identity thing but they're utterly meaningless in the sense of separation in Manhattan. Daredevil could live in Chelsea or Clinton and it wouldn't change much of anything.

Nah, NYC neighborhoods are super cliquey and you start seeing the same people after a month of living there. Especially if that person were to be a guy with a walking stick and a ton of bruises and especially if your whole job as a gang were to have lookouts across the neighborhood trying to find the superheroes kicking your goons into paste.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Guy Goodbody posted:

I was thinking about it, and I realized that what this show really needs is some flashbacks to Danny's training. but then I realized that'd make it more like Arrow. And it's already pretty loving close to Arrow. I bet that's the exact reason there's no flashbacks, because they realized that'd make it too close to Arrow.

Finally finished IF and finally finished reading this thread (once i found it).

Echoing everyone's comments on the show, I'll add I had hoped we would have seen some if Danny's obviously "brutal" training regimen (apart from that one clip of monks beating the young Danny); something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8UTANHpsV0

Edit to fix BB code from my phone.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 19, 2017

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
Finally got around to finishing the Iron Fist series (I've been adjusting to Dad life with a six month old, so I try to watch shows when I can), and good lord - this was not a good show.

Visually, there was nothing that set the show apart from the others. Each of the Netflix shows so far have had their own motif - except for this one. Everything about IF was boring and bland.

Thematically, the story this was trying to tell wasn't anything new or exciting. For a show based on a martial artist who punches the heart out of a goddamn dragon, it wasn't very interesting, engaging or entertaining. The fight choreography was pretty horrendous and lacked any impact. Any of the plots that dealt with Rand Enterprise were heavily contrived and boring - it felt like a knockoff of Stark Industries. What did his company actually do anyways?

The most depressing thing about this show is that the camera footage of the previous Iron Fist (in episode 10 I believe) was the best part about the show - what the show should've been in the first place. For someone who should be a martial arts master, Danny frequently got his rear end kicked and I ended up rooting for the enemy to hopefully beat some sense into him.

Iron Fist's biggest offense is violating the "show don't tell" rule in cinema. Danny frequently explains what happened to him when he was in K'un Lun, but we never see any of it. I laughed at the last scene when Danny and Colleen arrive at the gate, but find it closed and surrounded by bodies of the slain Hand assassins. It lacks any impact, because we never saw was K'un Lun was supposed to look like in the first place.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

:lol: the guys doing katas while they wait their turn to beat on the trainee is amazing.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all but I don't think anyone would've minded them borrowing more heavily from Arrow if it led to the show turning out better.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think the most appalling thing about Iron Fist is that they didn't give it a distinct color like the other shows. Like the credits scene should have been green. What the gently caress Netflix?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Nah, NYC neighborhoods are super cliquey and you start seeing the same people after a month of living there. Especially if that person were to be a guy with a walking stick and a ton of bruises and especially if your whole job as a gang were to have lookouts across the neighborhood trying to find the superheroes kicking your goons into paste.

You get to know people who live on the same block as you or visit the same bodega every day or something, but there's another couple of thousand people who just walk down your block every day and you leave your neighborhood all the time. It's not the same as living in a small town.

It's not like DD stopped fighting crime at 34th Street.

And again, no one knows Daredevil is blind. Hell, Foggy's first instinct when he found out Matt was DD was to question if he'd be pretended to be blind this whole time.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Invalid Validation posted:

I think the most appalling thing about Iron Fist is that they didn't give it a distinct color like the other shows. Like the credits scene should have been green. What the gently caress Netflix?

I agree, the show has no style like the others. It's pretty bad.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

STAC Goat posted:

You get to know people who live on the same block as you or visit the same bodega every day or something, but there's another couple of thousand people who just walk down your block every day and you leave your neighborhood all the time. It's not the same as living in a small town.

It's not like DD stopped fighting crime at 34th Street.

And again, no one knows Daredevil is blind. Hell, Foggy's first instinct when he found out Matt was DD was to question if he'd be pretended to be blind this whole time.

All of this.

There are definitely people that you never see that live in your same building if you don't have similar schedules, even if you've lived there for years and it's only a 6 story walk up.

Also they end up in Brooklyn a lot so you can see the Manhattan skyline.

Also the blind thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its entirely possible not to even know the faces of your next door neighbors in New York City if your schedules don't line up. Life in New York City means encountering hundreds of new faces every day and just ignoring most of them. Which is how it gets a reputation from tourists as being so rude, because NYers are basically trained to mind their own business.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Iron Fist's biggest offense is violating the "show don't tell" rule in cinema. Danny frequently explains what happened to him when he was in K'un Lun, but we never see any of it. I laughed at the last scene when Danny and Colleen arrive at the gate, but find it closed and surrounded by bodies of the slain Hand assassins. It lacks any impact, because we never saw was K'un Lun was supposed to look like in the first place.

But they paid for that snowy gate corridor, and by God, they were going to film it, and film it some more!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a trailer for Cloak & Dagger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5hrFVQiGyk&t=6s

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Sorta makes me wish we got a Runaways show or movie instead, but it looks like it will probably be watchable.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Runaways (TV) is in development, isn't it?

edit: Wikipedia says Hulu, adapted from an abandoned Phase 3 movie script.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

bloodychill posted:

Sorta makes me wish we got a Runaways show or movie instead, but it looks like it will probably be watchable.

How about both? Hulu is developing a Runnaways series as we speak.

Edit: ninja'd ^^^

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

homullus posted:

But they paid for that snowy gate corridor, and by God, they were going to film it, and film it some more!

Still makes no goddamn sense to me - even in comparison with everything else in the show which didn't make sense.

Kun Lun needs to be guarded by the greatest martial artist in the world, one capable of not only defeating a dragon in unarmed combat and punching it in the heart, but also of using that tremendous power as his own.

But the actual path to Kun Lun?

Yeah, that involves crawling along a foot wide ledge a thousand feet up a frozen cliff in high winds and then squeezing through an incredibly narrow gap in the cliff face until you reach a canyon where you can still touch both walls at once if you stretch your arms out.

Seriously, two guys with a stick could defend that pass. Or one guy with a firehose, just knocking everyone off.

Or, you know, they could invest in a door.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
As bad as the series was, that last scene really ruined it for me, for a couple reasons that have been said above and a few others.

Colleen and Danny looked like they were dressed for a brisk walk around the block, not climbing the Himalayas. The "reveal" was so crummy I couldn't tell if the gate was closed or Kun Lun was burnt and ruined, or if it was a big brown Rock face.

Then Danny turns on his night light and stares at it again, which is pretty much all he ever did with it (he never punched anyone with the Iron Fist by the way. 2 doors, a hatchet and some other stuff, but never in combat).

And it ruined the only good part for me, the 1950s footage against the Chinese troops. Why was it in a forest instead of at the gate, did the old Iron Fist head down to stop them and abandon the gate, or did they get into Kun Lun, which means he still wasn't at the gate? Now the old Iron Fist who looked good at his job looks as bad as Danny

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Also did I miss why Davos felt the need to torture that cart vendor guy?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
I hope kun lun or wherever turns in Schroedinger's Monastery. Is it destroyed? Is it okay? No one knows for sure because the show never sees season 2.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

STAC Goat posted:

Runaways (TV) is in development, isn't it?

edit: Wikipedia says Hulu, adapted from an abandoned Phase 3 movie script.

For years, years I have been tormented by misreading every reference to Project Runway as Project Runaway. Which would have been a much more interesting show.

And now here we are with Cloak & Dagger.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Avalerion posted:

Also did I miss why Davos felt the need to torture that cart vendor guy?

If you did, then I missed it too. I'd wager it was just lovely writing. They wanted him to look threatening and like a bad guy until it was revealed Davos was Danny's friend, but they didn't think it through.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Can't wait to see what the skeevy Dagger boob window looks like in real life.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Saint Freak posted:

Can't wait to see what the skeevy Dagger boob window looks like in real life.

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=398

Mildly NSFW because of a couple B+W drawn nipples.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

As Nero Danced posted:

If you did, then I missed it too. I'd wager it was just lovely writing. They wanted him to look threatening and like a bad guy until it was revealed Davos was Danny's friend, but they didn't think it through.

Or, considering how the series ended, maybe Davos actually is a bad guy. There was presumably a reason he didn't get chosen to be the Iron Fist.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Yakmouth posted:

Or, considering how the series ended, maybe Davos actually is a bad guy. There was presumably a reason he didn't get chosen to be the Iron Fist.

I mean we know he'll become the villain because Iron Fist has like......2 or 3 villains that aren't complete jokes. It still doesn't really make sense that he'll be teaming up with Gao and Joy, all of which had never met each other before that scene in the cafe.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

notthegoatseguy posted:

I mean we know he'll become the villain because Iron Fist has like......2 or 3 villains that aren't complete jokes. It still doesn't really make sense that he'll be teaming up with Gao and Joy, all of which had never met each other before that scene in the cafe.

Well, I was commenting specifically on the earlier bit about Davos torturing the food-stand guy as a sign of bad writing. I think it establishes pretty clearly that Davos is kind of an rear end in a top hat -- more to the point, I think the depiction was accurate and intentional.

As to your point, I liked Iron Fist more than most people in this thread (or the public at large for that matter), but that last episode was bad. I'm not going to try and defend it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I interpreted it as Davos taking the food cart to stake out Rand Industries for Danny (since he could track Danny there but then Danny never shows up for work and doesn't have a home, so he's stuck just waiting till he shows up). And Davos is just an rear end in a top hat who fucks with the food vender because he doesn't care about him.

It felt to me like more of the clear implication that K'un Lun aren't really the good guys Danny was taught to believe.

Like my takeaway is that Colleen and Danny were both brainwashed by bad sides of a war. Davos is just the loyal soldier who doesn't question his brainwashing when the moral questions get raised.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

I mean it's obvious not very many people liked how Danny was portrayed (or maybe how Jones portrayed him -- tomayto/tomahto). So when Davos shows up everybody starts saying he's the hero the show deserves. Then they think back to how he was introduced and chalk it up to character inconsistency.

Davos was a fun, charismatic character, but he wasn't supposed to be the good guy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think Iron Fist was at least partially poorly executed (I always enjoyed it but I think it was very flawed) but I can see what they were doing with Danny, Davos, and Colleen to represent the Hand/K'un Lun war. Three children raised in the war. Two have their ideas challenged because of their relationship with each other and eventually come to think for themselves and reject at least some of what they were taught. They try and get Davos to do the same thing but he sticks to the brainwashing because he's much further along than them.

Davis is a "good guy" because he opposes the Hand and is Danny's childhood friend. But his good guy status rests on the idea that K'un Lun are the good guys and their ways are right, because he is their representative and soldier. And everything we learn about K'un Lun suggests that they might be just as cruel and amoral as Bakuto's faction of the Hand.

It was messy and people reject a lot of it because they don't like Danny (which I totally get). And its thrown poorly into the whole Rand Industries/Meachum plot to gets everything muddied. And they didn't do a great job of really playing Bakuto's Hand against Gao's Hand. Iron Fist was a bit of a mess. But I see the idea.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 minutes!
Is it really brainwashing to think the Hand are evil? I mean the Hand are evil like straight up sacrificing innocents to make evil liches and poo poo evil and probably plotting some large scale evil poo poo like there are no shades of grey here at all.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

Is it really brainwashing to think the Hand are evil? I mean the Hand are evil like straight up sacrificing innocents to make evil liches and poo poo evil and probably plotting some large scale evil poo poo like there are no shades of grey here at all.

Yeah plus they dug that big hole. I mean, it's huge what could it be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Maybe they put Kun Lun in the big hole