Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Rocko, I believe, was originally intended to be an MTV series, but Viacom decided to stick it on Nickelodeon instead since there was enough childish humor and kids wouldn't really -get- the adult jokes in the series. Plus, being a cable channel, they were able to get away with a little more than WB would allow, since they were broadcast television. Then again these were the days of cable pushing these sort of boundaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember it and I was allowed to watch it but I distinctly recall my own father saying it was one of the worst things he'd ever seen.

Was that one of the would-be "gross out" (probably not the best way of putting it, but in that kind of wheelhouse) cartoons that showed up in the wake of Ren & Stimpy? Others that occur to me included Cow and Chicken and 2 Stupid Dogs.

I don't remember 2 Stupid Dogs being a gross out show. It was okay from what I remember of it. Cow and Chicken was horribly bad. 90% of the shows on Cartoon Cartoons were even worse, but I think that's where Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, and Family Guy got their starts.

Or maybe it was What A Cartoon, and that was on during Cartoon Cartoons. Either way it was awful.

The Repo Man has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Apr 19, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Xenoletum posted:

Rocko, I believe, was originally intended to be an MTV series, but Viacom decided to stick it on Nickelodeon instead since there was enough childish humor and kids wouldn't really -get- the adult jokes in the series. Plus, being a cable channel, they were able to get away with a little more than WB would allow, since they were broadcast television. Then again these were the days of cable pushing these sort of boundaries.

It was also the days of kneejerk-reaction children's TV censors being afraid of anything unwholesome that might corrupt the mind of Little Timmy via cartoons, so of course the right thing to do was try to sneak in any and every dirty joke the writers could try to get away with.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RagnarokAngel posted:

I know the animaniac's writers had this thing where if they wanted to slip in a bad joke they would write something even worse they knew the censors would say no to, therefore making their original joke look not nearly as bad and then they could be "well can we do this instead?" and the censors would say "sure".

The "Finger prince" joke wasn't supposed to be one of the ones they approved but I guess whoever was auditing the episode that day didn't pick up on it.

Animators have actually been doing that as long as animation and censorship have existed in the same place. The oldest one like that that comes to my mind is a Looney Tunes short from like the 40's. A dog gets his butt lit on fire and drags himself around on his front legs to put it out. He stops, turns to the camera, and says "if I don't cut this out I may get to like it!" before panting a moment and going back to dragging himself around. I remember reading that that was a joke they deliberately put in for exactly that reason but the censors went "meh, whatever" and let the next joke in too. Or maybe the next one was cut out?

In any event animators have deliberately done that for a long drat time. Rocco's Modern Life threw that out by just cramming it full of the worst things they could think of to see how much they could get past without even resorting to those tricks. Hence stuff like Heifer, uh...getting...milked...on the farm he visited then saying goodbye to the milking machine like he was breaking up with a girlfriend.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Even some of the non-dirty jokes were kinda dark/weird for a kids cartoon.

Like one of the times they go to Chokey/Chewy chicken, before they arrive they see a friend of theirs, a literal chicken, who says she's going to a job interview for Chewy/Chokey Chicken...it then heavily implies she "got the job" and is killed and Heffer may in fact even be eating her.

The best chicken joke they made was when Heifer is getting dragged out screaming "CHEWY CHICKEN IS PEOPLE!!!!" like in Soylent Green. There's a family of chickens standing nearby and one turns to the another and says "well, THAT'S a relief!" The people making the show really did know how insane the thing they were making was and just ran with it.

Ren & Stimpy really set the ground for all of it and turned the 90's into "let's make the grossed show possible" in so many ways.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

The Repo Man posted:

I don't remember 2 Stupid Dogs being a gross out show. It was okay from what I remember of it. Cow and Chicken was horribly bad. 90% of the shows on Cartoon Cartoons were even worse, but I think that's where Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, and Family Guy got their starts.

Or maybe it was What A Cartoon, and that was on during Cartoon Cartoons. Either way it was awful.

2 Stupid Dogs was just plain dumb fun. I wish they would release it on DVD.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Mark Hamill posted this up on Twitter a while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HaYjCfJL0s

I didn't know he was the voice of The Count...

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

Dinosaurs! A Fun-Filled Trip Back in Time with Fred Savage :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngVMwf9yRGU

I had this on VHS. Watched it so often that certain sequences are burned into my brain shot-for-shot. Definitely worth a watch.

In the Air Tonight (Donkey Kong Country 2 Mix)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEjoz9egJDs

Phil Collins mixed with Donkey Kong. Not directly 90s but everyone I knew thought this song and DK2 were eerily complementary.

mistressminako has a new favorite as of 22:59 on Apr 23, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Repo Man posted:

A ton of kids shows from that era had gross out humor even if they weren't gross-out shows. 2 Stupid Dogs had a bit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Repo Man posted:

I don't remember 2 Stupid Dogs being a gross out show. It was okay from what I remember of it.

Fair enough, 2 Stupid Dogs may not have been a "gross out" show in the way that something like Ren and Stimpy was, but in retrospect I think it sometimes aimed in the same sort of direction, just not as hard. I found this scene from it.

quote:

Cow and Chicken was horribly bad. 90% of the shows on Cartoon Cartoons were even worse, but I think that's where Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, and Family Guy got their starts.

Yeah, and possibly Johnny Bravo as well? Courage the Cowardly Dog was definitely Cartoon Cartoons.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Were dinosaurs a super popular thing in the 90s becuase of Jurassic Park, or before? I mean, kids where always into them, but the 90s seemed really heavily Dinosaur focused in a lot of ways.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Were dinosaurs a super popular thing in the 90s becuase of Jurassic Park, or before? I mean, kids where always into them, but the 90s seemed really heavily Dinosaur focused in a lot of ways.

That Dinosaurs tv show came out in 91 so I'd guess they were somewhat popular before JP came out.

I remember me and my brother being quite into dinosaurs before we saw JP at the cinema too, we'd collect magazines and stuff. Hell, we had dino wallpaper.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Frankston posted:

That Dinosaurs tv show came out in 91 so I'd guess they were somewhat popular before JP came out.

I remember me and my brother being quite into dinosaurs before we saw JP at the cinema too, we'd collect magazines and stuff. Hell, we had dino wallpaper.

The Land Before Time and Denver the Last Dinosaur also came at the end of the '80s.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I don't remember a time when dinosaurs weren't one of the go to popular things for kids.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't remember a time when dinosaurs weren't one of the go to popular things for kids.

Well if you go back 250 million years or so...

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The Repo Man posted:

Family Guy got its start on Fox. Seth MacFarlane had a cartoon short he did in college whose sequel ended up on What-a-Cartoon, but the one that was on What-a-Cartoon was very different in character design and general setup than Family Guy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Repo Man posted:

2 Stupid Dogs was a pretty typical cartoon from that time period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFTMzLgBz8k

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

man i remember cartoon sushi on mtv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2mvcTNye9Q

also michael jackson jokes

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is American ska the most 90s of all music genres?

It's got to be the most late-90s of all music genres.

I mean, look.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it's called 3rd Wave Ska you loving plebe

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I would differentiate "third wave ska" (the Toasters, the Slackers, the Scofflaws, the Pietasters, to a certain extent the Bosstones etc.) from "ska punk" (Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake, Save Ferris, Voodoo Glow Skulls etc.) myself and I'd lump in post-2 Tone British ska bands like the Loafers and the Hotknives in with the former myself.

:spergin: :spergin: :spergin:

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
ska-tism

also 90s: very, very saturated color correction (seen in the video you posted)

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is American ska the most 90s of all music genres?

It's got to be the most late-90s of all music genres.

I mean, look.

I'd say Brit pop would give it a run for its money.

Also, most late 90s song was All-star.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Benny Harvey posted:

I'd say Brit pop would give it a run for its money.

All regional, I suppose. Britpop was a pretty brief thing altogether - in retrospect, I think the whole Cool Britannia had more or less run its course by the time Tony Blair became prime minister, for all that he tried to ride the wave.

quote:

Also, most late 90s song was All-star.

Well, Smash Mouth: briefly a ska band when they were starting out.

I reckon the soundtrack of 8 September 2001 (the actual last day of the 1990s) is "All Star" by Smash Mouth on a continuous loop.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

The Repo Man posted:

Pretty much, What A Cartoon was kinda the equivalent of Liquid Television for that stuff, just more tame.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Wheat Loaf posted:

8 September 2001 (the actual last day of the 1990s)

:911:
We forgot

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

I reckon the soundtrack of 8 September 2001 (the actual last day of the 1990s)

lol

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I remember 8 September 2001. It was a pretty nice day. Cool in the morning, but still warm and sunny over all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ahaha, I hosed up pretty badly that time. :D

(It's because you put the date the wrong way round in America.)

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Wheat Loaf posted:

I reckon the soundtrack of 8 September 2001 (the actual last day of the 1990s) is "All Star" by Smash Mouth on a continuous loop.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Smash Mouth....continuous loop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TrYnV5F6zI

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ahaha, I hosed up pretty badly that time. :D

(It's because you put the date the wrong way round in America.)

no it's actually because you're tremendously loving stupid

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alaois posted:

no it's actually because you're tremendously loving stupid

Probable.

Tendril_Mullet
Jul 20, 2014

It's already been mentioned here but the video for Paul Westerberg's dyslexic heart from Singles is 90s weirdville all over. Bonus for fat receding hairline Jeremy Piven post PCU. I was going to college in Seattle when the movie came out and it seemed like nobody I knew saw it even though Pearl Jam was in it :shrug:

https://youtu.be/MVhBEtTSEcE

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
If you look at 9/11 using day/month system like Europe it is 9 November and you clearly said September so try again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, it was a pretty stupid mistake on my part. I was pretty careless there.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
This sort of bleeds into the early 2000s in my memories, but how bout mothafucking Lifescapes?

If you didn't happen to live in suburban American in the late 90's, every Target had a kiosk somewhere in the store that sold these CDs of like new age/soft jazz/celtic style easy listening music. More importantly though there was a "touch" screen/speaker combo that would play samples of the album you poked. I remember them mostly because I'd post up there while my parents were looking at clothes/shoes (only because the video game aisle with all the demos was too far away for that leg of the shopping trip). My mom actually bought a 2 CD combo of the Scottish Moors/Emererald Isle and when I got a CD player of my own I hoarded the case and listened to them constantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=239fNGLXYWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PsBvIVV8eQ

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Doesn't that poo poo still exist?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Titus Sardonicus posted:

It's like a retail coelacanth.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It doesn't have its own endcap anymore, but there'll usually be some of those in with the Now! and Kidz Bop and such.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Yup, there is one at a restaurant/giftshop along a rural highway a couple hours away from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.