Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

CelticPredator posted:

Those were sold a few months ago. Good luck.

But you can see the new glasses on an Alamo site if you move through the ticket buying process. It'll be on the page right before you put in your CC info.

actually apparently the blue one is an open production so I just bought one for $28 plus a dumb amount of shipping. but it will go perfectly with my bombass limited edition Haunted Mansion tiki mug and my zombie head tiki mugs.

edit:

cough glass design cough

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh nice! Right on! Glad they didn't fully cap that poo poo like they said.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DC Murderverse posted:

They have a full kitchen there and (as far as I could tell in the one time I was there) a competent kitchen staff. I'd rather eat there than at some mediocre restaurant that has oysters available.

if I lived in New York City I'd either work there or spend all of my free time there, the one time I went it was really awesome.

I can't stress this enough myself. I forget whenever I first heard about Alamo but I've been hopeful one would open up here for like ten years. The one that's in Brooklyn now they actually announced ages ago I was thrilled when it finally happened and was as cool as people had been telling me. There's been one in Yonkers like forever but that's basically an Interstellar-caliber journey from Brooklyn if you don't have a car. My wife and I see something there very regularly now, I haven't seen a movie in a theater as often since when I was in high school

As far as raw seafood from the Alamo goes though I'm sure it's fine, just overpriced. I mean we're on a coast, there's dollar oysters aplenty, we're going to hit up one of those instead the same day.

Regarding the appropriateness and stuff, I actually have known two different people who could not fathom eating anything like squid, clams, oysters, crab, etc. because they could absolutely not ever dissociate them from being monstrous and gross on a primal level or "like a giant insect" as it was explained to me. Nothing wrong with that but dang that's half the reason I love it. :D

Definitely one of the ways Alien is incredible. A poster earlier mentioned it and it's true, the facehugger's underside is literally assorted crustacean meat.

Speaking of which I know they used a bunch of cow parts and stuff for the inside of the egg in Alien, have any of the other movies done that? When you watch the commentary for Aliens and Resurrection they both talk about hopefully making an egg effects that looks almost as good as Alien, they're very (rightfully) reverent of what Alien accomplishes visually. But like, wouldn't the way it was done in Alien with Scott's hand inside the egg puppeteering its "pulsing" and a bunch of animal guts be waaaaay cheaper than the CGI eggs in Alien Resurrection and stuff while still looking great?

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

They have a full kitchen there and (as far as I could tell in the one time I was there) a competent kitchen staff. I'd rather eat there than at some mediocre restaurant that has oysters available.

Maybe I'm a snob but I choose neither, personally. This is coming from someone in land-locked dallas texas though, so I'm super skeptical of "fresh" seafood if its not priced appropriately. I'm sure its plenty expensive at the theater, but so is everything else.

I'm not hating on Alamo draft house at all. I've been to the original in Austin, back in 2003, for the first year of The Animation Show and got to hang out with Mike Judge and Don Hertzfeldt. First time I'd seen anything like it--beer in the theater and lots of comfort food. Amazing.

Also, beer is not a great theater drink because it makes me have to piss like a racehorse and I miss more of the movie than I'd like. Whiskey is a better choice, imo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Beer is more for home viewing where I can pause the movie whenever I want to go to the bathroom.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Drinking beer in the theater is the best thing ever. Having to get up and pee is the worst thing ever. Life is difficult.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Solution: movie theatres with catheters. Cineatheters.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Solution: movie theatres with catheters. Cineatheters.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, I GIVE YOU...

...THE CATHEATER.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Weren't there old-style cinemas in the Golden Age that had, like, a privacy lounge with smoky glass you could go and be a woman in/sit and drink? I remember seeing a sketch once.

Which gives me the idea for in-theatre restrooms. One on each side at the back, with one-way glass so you can't miss the film.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Weren't there old-style cinemas in the Golden Age that had, like, a privacy lounge with smoky glass you could go and be a woman in/sit and drink? I remember seeing a sketch once.

Which gives me the idea for in-theatre restrooms. One on each side at the back, with one-way glass so you can't miss the film.

The privacy lounge concept is now for people to taking crying kids into during showings (or at least at the theater I frequent and it's only in the two "main" screen rooms). Instead of an in-theater bathroom, your ticket stub has a barcode you scan at the urinal and a screen above it immediately kicks on to your movie while you piss.

you can mail the money directly to me for this billion dollar idea.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Everything I hear about the Alamo makes it sound fu fu as gently caress. The Vic in Chicago was doing Brew & View screenings since '01, and beer was only like 4 or 5 bucks there. I can't imagine the beers at the Alamo being anything less than baseball park prices, and paying 30 dollars for drinking glasses? Madness. I'm curious how the Los Angeles Alamo Drafthouse will do since there's already a bevy of really great arthouse theaters that have long since established themselves here (The Egyptian, The New Beverly, The Nuart, Cinefamily, Cinespia, The Aero, The Montalban, etc).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

Everything I hear about the Alamo makes it sound fu fu as gently caress. The Vic in Chicago was doing Brew & View screenings since '01, and beer was only like 4 or 5 bucks there. I can't imagine the beers at the Alamo being anything less than baseball park prices, and paying 30 dollars for drinking glasses? Madness. I'm curious how the Los Angeles Alamo Drafthouse will do since there's already a bevy of really great arthouse theaters that have long since established themselves here (The Egyptian, The New Beverly, The Nuart, Cinefamily, Cinespia, The Aero, The Montalban, etc).

Beers are 5-8 dollars depending on the beer. I believe Coors, PBR and BUD are like 3. Those 30 dollar glasses are quite large and are more collectibles than anything. The Covenant glasses are 10.

Food is slightly over priced, but not much more than you'd pay at a average sit down restaurant.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

ruddiger posted:

Hell, Billy Joe's Pitcher Show in Des Moines had been doing the same concept since the 80s. It was a dive, but it was a hell of a lot of fun.

I went to the Alama Drafthouse in San Antonio to see a Hard Day's Night, and while it was neat to see the movie on the big screen, it was expensive, the food was middling, the service was poor, and the whole place felt really up its own rear end.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm just down with any place that doesn't just show a "No Talking" sign, but instead has Sam Jackson telling you to shut the gently caress up.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

All I know of in the Seattle area is Cinebarre, which is OK for space and comfort level but the food is frankly crap.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Alamo Drafthouse is the only reason I still go to the theater. I'm not joking. They mean business with their no texting/talking policy, and it's wonderful. When I used to go to AMC or whatever other bored-teen-hangout theater and try to watch a movie I was interested in, I'd invariably end up having the experience ruined by phone lights, chatting morons, and my blood pressure through the roof.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was at one of these really upper crust theatres in Bethesda, Maryland recently, and in my opinion the experience was suffocating because of how attentive the employees are.

I was in the lobby because I had about 30 minutes to wait and didn't feel like sitting down yet, and I had no less than 10 different waiters, attendants, ticket takers, etc come up to me and ask me if I needed anything. Now, part of the problem is that I stood out because I was alone and I was just kinda standing there people watching, not fiddling with my phone or anything. So maybe they thought I was a potential mass murderer/terrorist? I dunno but after about 15 minutes a manager came up to me and (very nicely) asked me "is everything ok", but his tone very clearly delivered the message that he was there to feel me out and make sure I was a normal paying customer, not a weirdo.

Honestly it made me feel kinda bad about myself for going to a movie alone, when really I don't think there should be any shame in that so sometimes there's such a thing as too much service.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

So maybe they thought I was a potential mass murderer/terrorist?

Most likely yes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Most likely yes.

If it had been a lazy Sunday or something and I was in regular clothes I'd have assumed that was definitely the case but I had just come from an event and I had a nice sport jacket and tie on. I just had a few hours to kill so why not see a movie you know?

Edit: It just occurred to me that the nicer clothes probably made me look even odder. They were probably asking themselves what's this guy doing wearing a tie in a movie theatre on a Saturday afternoon. I really have no ability to pick up social cues whatsoever, its ridiculous.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 18, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the key is to always find a quite corner to sit in and look at your phone.

Shifting eyes at a movie theater is a big no-no these days.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

If it had been a lazy Sunday or something and I was in regular clothes I'd have assumed that was definitely the case but I had just come from an event and I had a nice sport jacket and tie on. I just had a few hours to kill so why not see a movie you know?

Edit: It just occurred to me that the nicer clothes probably made me look even odder. They were probably asking themselves what's this guy doing wearing a tie in a movie theatre on a Saturday afternoon. I really have no ability to pick up social cues whatsoever, its ridiculous.

Should have faked being a media personality specializing in reviewing theaters. Get you some free tickets or something for looking dapper.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

the key is to always find a quite corner to sit in and look at your phone.

Shifting eyes at a movie theater is a big no-no these days.

They kicked some guy out of the New Beverly Cinema because he took his phone out during the serial they were playing before the movie. :xd:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well don't look at your phone in the auditorium! Just in the lobby if you have time to kill.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

ruddiger posted:

The best thing about the Alamo is the strict no talking policy, along with the unique events that come along pretty regularly. They used to have pretty great food (at least in ATX) until about 2013 when they switched distributors and streamlined the menu to make the national expansion easier to roll out. Now it's about on par with TGIFridays.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

They should make cinema eaters sit on one side, and non-eaters (but drinking's okay!) on the other, and have an aisle go right down the middle. Where I live, they have designated seats, so it's the next logical step.

The sound of some rear end in a top hat mashing food into his mouth directly behind me, punctuated by an "oh poo poo" when he inevitably butter-fingers his half-eaten chillidog or whatever onto the floor, will never not take me out of a movie.

Edit: Ooh I like the sound of a strict no-talking policy. No, Mr. Hilarious, you shouting at the screen is not funny at all, and nobody cares how you feel about this movie.

I feel old and grumpy.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 19, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have never heard such a thing. I guess forks being placed around on a table, but that's it. I've even sat next to someone eating nasty rear end fries and still heard nothing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah this is a new one for me, I don't even hear like my wife/friends/whoever is sitting directly next to me eating.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Fwiw I live in SEAsia where it is more common for people to eat noisily, and cinemas are generally more cramped row to row.

With that said, things like pop corn, nachos, hot dogs that come with crinkly foil wrappers, crisps, and snacks of that nature are usually audible to me if they are seated right behind or next to me in any quiet scene. Hands digging through buckets / wrappers etc. Always distracts me.

Cant imagine oyster slurpers.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
You guys must not watch movies with black or Puerto Rican audiences.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SimonCat posted:

You guys must not watch movies with black or Puerto Rican audiences.

Are you saying that you feel black and Puerto Rican people are notoriously loud eaters? :wtc:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I live in East Asia and cinema going is so nice. Quiet and respectful audiences and comfortable seats with great sound and projection across theaters.

Related to the catheter theater joke: I went to a movie in Singapore once and each screen had its own bathroom with a window at eye level above the urinal, so you could piss without missing anything (Except all the shots and dialogue which was clumsily censored).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What if you had to poop

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I went to a cinema once where you sit on a beanie couch.

CelticPredator posted:

What if you had to poop

The future of luxury theater experience will be each seat being in its own separate cubicle that also has a toilet in it.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Neo Rasa posted:

Are you saying that you feel black and Puerto Rican people are notoriously loud eaters? :wtc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5akKGzJAkE

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Thanks, I'd managed to forget that Martin Lawrence existed and was theoretically a comedian.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

No, I'm saying they're notoriously loud at the movie theater.

I spent 9 months in close quarters with 600 members of the Puerto Rican National Guard. They're wonderful folks, but they don't have inside voices.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Going to a rowdy show is kind of a special experience in itself. And by rowdy here I mean "giant nerd movie opening night." Seeing Episode VII smack in the middle of a crowded theater was an amazing experience. The crowd pop when the Falcon came in frame, holy poo poo.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I think I had the opposite experience in South Korea, where when the credits rolled people were asking each other "who was that old guy at the end?"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

dont even fink about it posted:

Going to a rowdy show is kind of a special experience in itself. And by rowdy here I mean "giant nerd movie opening night." Seeing Episode VII smack in the middle of a crowded theater was an amazing experience. The crowd pop when the Falcon came in frame, holy poo poo.

Horror movies opening night objectively own. In the last year I've seen Get Out, Neon Demon, The Purge and Blair Witch opening night, and in the 50% of those movies that actually had an audience (bet you can guess which ones!) it was really fun to watch the crowd react.

I saw Neon Demon opening night at 5pm and I was the only person in the theater, which was its own reward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate that loving movie.