Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
I got the LOTR core set and I don't know if I'm just doing something wrong or bad at the game but I haven't been able to beat the first quest? Is this game stupid hard? do I need to buy expansions to start beating quests?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

First one is definitely doable, are you doing mono sphere decks? Try running one that is a little more varied.

The second and third are loving hard.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The third quest in the core set is one of the hardest LOTR LCG quests there is, so keep that in mind.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I got the LOTR core set and I don't know if I'm just doing something wrong or bad at the game but I haven't been able to beat the first quest? Is this game stupid hard? do I need to buy expansions to start beating quests?

How many decks are you using? If it's just you solo, using only one deck is setting up for a rough time. Try playing two decks simultaneously. Leadership and Tactics together can do some work.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Guarding the Realm spoilers: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1757414/guarding-realm

Great Hall looks good for unique heavy decks, which should be most of them at this point. Looks like there's more economy in general in this cycle, probably to actually use all these Bestow things, which is a mechanic that I'm still quite unsure about.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I am jumping out of Arkham Horror if anyone is interested.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816175

Wish I had more time.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Amazon has Dunwich Legacy available for $33 shipped (Prime shipping), and is reporting that it'll be in stock on 4/12.

Nice!

edit-- Miskatonic and Essex are still ~$30 each though :(

LordNat
May 16, 2009
FFG will be hosting an AMA on Reddit Thursday with a few of the people from the L5R team.
https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/854432273273409536

Tomorrow we will be getting the first look at the game as the marking storm is set to start.

Lets get the hype rolling!

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I'm very excited: I#m pretty sure FFG will do a good job and it'll be nice to lose some of the mechanical baggage the CCG had towards the end.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I'm excited but I don't have anyone to play with so it doesn't really matter.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

I'm excited but I don't have anyone to play with so it doesn't really matter.

I am sure there will be some kind of Ringteki.net up within days of Gencon.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

LordNat posted:

I am sure there will be some kind of Ringteki.net up within days of Gencon.

I only play card games in person, and L5R in particular it was all about having a big local group to play with. The community aspect is what made L5R great to play. Hopefully where I go after leaving Taiwan, there will be a player group at and I can get into the game.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Where are you going after Taiwan?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

nyxnyxnyx posted:

Where are you going after Taiwan?

I was considering Singapore for a while, but more recently I'm thinking about Eastern Europe, specifically Hungary. There's a chance I might head back to the States but living in Taiwan is so drat comfortable and easy that it's been hard to leave. I should probably contact you guys in Singapore and see what the job market is like there for Teachers at the moment, but to be honest I'm having what I can only describe as "Asia fatigue". I had a friend who moved away a few years ago, come back through for a visit. He lives in Israel now and he said at first going back into a place that communicates directly and in a forward manner was almost shocking, but he realized that what it was is that he just had developed a lot of social anxiety from the way people are here in Taiwan and once he was outside that again he felt much more comfortable and less stressed out about going out and being social. I didn't really spend enough time in Singapore to this would or wouldn't be an issue for me there but I do feel like if I leave I should go somewhere further away from my current comfort zone.

It would be harder if I'd been able to create a large playground for anything other than Netrunner. I'm not sure why Taiwan is not as into the competitive card games, even though Magic is popular, it's not drawing weekly crowds of 50+ for FNM.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/19/legend-of-the-five-rings-the-card-game/

Holy poo poo the Fading dude was not lying... WTF FFG

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

quote:

In Rokugani culture, there is a concept known as mono no aware which translates loosely to “the pathos of all things.”

I guess they just can't say Japanese?

Fate on everything is also weird, although I wonder how it plays out compared with Game of Thrones' "everyone dies anyway" sort of gameplay.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

The Fading thing is weird, but I'm interested to see how it actually works out: hopefully it'll lead to less board stalls.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
I'm just sad it's 2 players only. Multiplayer L5R was where it was at.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Sad to see Enlightenment leave as a victory condition but give how the rings work now, I like it.

Essentially it's like having the Military/Intrigue/Power challenge benefits of aGoT broken over 4* conflicts with two interchangable numerals to choose between.

Bidding honor during the draw phase is certainly interesting. Presumably this will be a balance where a high honor clan will be spending more honor to draw cards which will generate a higher amount of honor in pursuit of an honor victory while a lower honor clan will be drawing less cards but relying on the force of their armies to break provinces before the other can win.

It doesn't sound like a "broken" province limits the dynasty cards it outputs so that's good.

Most importantly: Kachiko's back baby!

Also there's some fantastic art.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 19, 2017

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
OH MY GOD it's back to the reign of Hantei the 38th and that means everyone I cared about and everyone who gave me my nostalgia fuzzies IS BACK

KISADA IS BACK SHOJU IS BACK YOKUNI IS BACK and I can only assume O-USHI IS BACK

That is kind of overwhelming me and I am feeling very on board even with the revelation that you need three cores to be "complete"

LordNat
May 16, 2009
It does not even seem like the same game honestly.
I am entirely ok with that but just shocking how much they changed.

At first glance it the skill level seems insanely high. Floating resources turn to turn, knowing how much to over buy guys for, etc.
A lot of games are going to come down to a fate counter being used to saved.

Honestly nothing to far feels bad about the reveal so I am even more hype.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
More importantly, are Isawa Tadaka and Isawa Tsuke back... they are why I loved the game.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Just in case anyone else misses it, if you click on the support page for the game, then choose "Read More" there's a bit more info such as what all the Rings do.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
RIP Doji Hoturi

Hello Doji Hotaru

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

Just in case anyone else misses it, if you click on the support page for the game, then choose "Read More" there's a bit more info such as what all the Rings do.

Link for the lazy: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/legend-of-the-five-rings-the-card-game/

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

This looks really cool but I'm never able to keep up with a competitive LCG. :(

I don't play enough and then don't know what's going on with the meta and inevitably get destroyed by whatever engine's been created when I do go play, rinse, repeat. I just want to play casually but never can.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Ask Me For Warez posted:

I'm just sad it's 2 players only. Multiplayer L5R was where it was at.

I gotta admit, the only multiplayer I ever saw played was Suicide.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I never played the original version of L5R so I don't have that to compare it to, but I like the idea of Fading over everyone sticking around until they're killed in conflict or by card effects. It makes for a potentially interesting and difficult decision about how much you want to invest in a character and adds some neat design space (already utilized by Steadfast Samurai previewed in the article) to explore.

Bidding honor for card draws seems like it could lead to interesting and difficult decisions.

Selecting what ring to use for each conflict sounds like an interesting and potentially difficult decision.

There's a theme here, and it's one I look for more and more in my games these days. Interesting or difficult decisions, especially in an inherently social envrionment (tabletop gaming), make for good games.

I'm not as thrilled about needing three cores to have a complete set, but "two to be competitive" sounds like how Netrunner worked with the core set consoles, so a complete playset may help but not be completely necessary.

The art is pretty gorgeous, too. I'm a little wary of white-washing since some of the characters are borderline, but we'll see how that pans out. It doesn't seem to be too much of an issue in the cards previewed. That said, while it's basically feudal Japan/China/Mongolia, it's a made-up fantasy setting, so I hope they go for even more representation of people of color since they're not bound by, well, anything.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Looks like dueling is gone. Makes sense.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I agree that this seems like a really high skill level game. Lots of decisions that need to be made a while before their impact is truly felt.

I definitely won't be picking it up, but mostly because I already have Arkham Horror, Star Wars: Destiny, and Magic. The first two are FFG games, so I'm already giving them enough money.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, it looks great but we're still full in on GoT so this looks a little too similar to that, even though I love the idea of different conflicts being made at specific locations like a mix of Conquest and GoT. I'll be eager to try it though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

PJOmega posted:

Looks like dueling is gone. Makes sense.

I don't know what Dueling was in the old game, but the product page lists a delta between LCG and CCG that mentions dueling is present, but will be different.

quote:

Dueling — Mechanics for dueling are present in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game, but it will function completely differently than in the collectible card game.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I never played the original version of L5R so I don't have that to compare it to, but I like the idea of Fading over everyone sticking around until they're killed in conflict or by card effects. It makes for a potentially interesting and difficult decision about how much you want to invest in a character and adds some neat design space (already utilized by Steadfast Samurai previewed in the article) to explore.

Bidding honor for card draws seems like it could lead to interesting and difficult decisions.

Selecting what ring to use for each conflict sounds like an interesting and potentially difficult decision.

There's a theme here, and it's one I look for more and more in my games these days. Interesting or difficult decisions, especially in an inherently social envrionment (tabletop gaming), make for good games.

I'm not as thrilled about needing three cores to have a complete set, but "two to be competitive" sounds like how Netrunner worked with the core set consoles, so a complete playset may help but not be completely necessary.

The art is pretty gorgeous, too. I'm a little wary of white-washing since some of the characters are borderline, but we'll see how that pans out. It doesn't seem to be too much of an issue in the cards previewed. That said, while it's basically feudal Japan/China/Mongolia, it's a made-up fantasy setting, so I hope they go for even more representation of people of color since they're not bound by, well, anything.

The ability to "make interesting decisions" is one of the things I look for in a game as well. A lot of games give you a ton of decisions in the beginning but then siphon them down as the game goes on. One reason I like card games is that the decision process of how and when to use a card is so crucial. It's one of the reasons I hated Netrunner because you could make all the right plays and just end up having bad luck pulling from a deck or someone's hand. I liked that there was no real "board control" in Netrunner and that was a huge problem in old L5R and more recently in aGoT2e, but it seems like by having personalities leave play more quickly they're trying to keep the board state fresh every turn, which is good.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Duelling is in. Basically a card creates a duel with an effect, and you compare the relevant stat for whatever the duel is. Its modified by a blind bid with the honor dial, similar to how you draw cards.

My impressions were not good. I love the art, but a lot of mechanics seemed jammed in just because the old game had them. I also really hate the fading from a thematic and mechanical perspective. I really wish they would've either done slight reworks of the rules (like they did going from agot CCG to lcg, or agot 1.0 to 2.0) or done something totally new.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

alansmithee posted:

Duelling is in. Basically a card creates a duel with an effect, and you compare the relevant stat for whatever the duel is. Its modified by a blind bid with the honor dial, similar to how you draw cards.

My impressions were not good. I love the art, but a lot of mechanics seemed jammed in just because the old game had them. I also really hate the fading from a thematic and mechanical perspective. I really wish they would've either done slight reworks of the rules (like they did going from agot CCG to lcg, or agot 1.0 to 2.0) or done something totally new.

If you have any more thoughts to share that aren't under NDA, I would love to hear them.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

alansmithee posted:

I was surprised that one of the Ring effects didn't add a fate to a character. How many cards that you saw were able to do that. It seems like there's multiple ways of removing fate, but how many are there to add it beyond overspending on their initial purchase?

LordNat
May 16, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

I was surprised that one of the Ring effects didn't add a fate to a character. How many cards that you saw were able to do that. It seems like there's multiple ways of removing fate, but how many are there to add it beyond overspending on their initial purchase?

I think they really want to prevent those long turns of just doing nothing till someone blinks. L5R was really bad for that.

I like the idea of Fading to deal with that but I will have to see how it works in action.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

GrandpaPants posted:

If you have any more thoughts to share that aren't under NDA, I would love to hear them.

Basically I feel they ended up kinda getting stuck in between trying to make the game they wanted, and the game people expected of them. I heard that initially they had the game designed but were shot down by marketing because it wasn't similar enough to the old one, but I'm not sure if that's really true. I think the development of the current game though would add a bit of credence to that idea from what I saw. This is gonna be kinda rambling but here it goes.

There didn't seem to feel like there was much to do. You're fairly limited in ways to increase fate, so you don't really develop an economy. The battles themselves were ok but didn't have near the impact that they do in the old game, since you don't actually destroy the province. Also, it seemed a lot of times you'd end up largely missing each other if one person is focusing on political and the other on military. The fading characters I really didn't like-some people have mentioned it adds some complexity (as you have to decide how much to invest in characters vs. maybe having more) but to me it felt like an artificial way to control board states without actually having as many kill/destroy effects. You also lose the tension that many games have where you have to decide how much to commit to play vs. holding back from potential board wipes, etc. Military seems by far the most common victory condition (lol on you if you try for honor vs. scorpion); clans do have a distinct feel but a lot of that is kinda artificial in that you're still just fighting, the only thing changing is if you use the top or bottom number more. Having characters in the conflict deck seemed bizarre to me-it kinda stressed the tacked-on feel of a lot of the mechanics (old game had two decks, so new game needs two decks!). Holdings in general seemed lackluster so didn't really use them much anyways meaning you had one deck with characters, and another with characters and other stuff. Obviously they'll be able to add stuff in new sets, but I think they'll have a lot more to do to get to the variety and complexity of old L5R (or other LCGs even) than had they put in some more stuff initially.

That said, there are a few things I like. The art is amazing (as it's been for pretty much all of their LCGs). It's definitely different than the original game, but in a good way. The honor dial for drawing cards is a great idea and I thought worked out very well in practice. Despite the fact that I don't like the fading mechanic on characters, I do appreciate having fixed income every turn on the strongholds that's just naturally generated. I think the clans do have fairly distinct feels (at least in theory, although some of the deckbuilding may not be so different). I think what they're doing with the story has potential to be cool (although I did find some of the minor name changes funny).

Chances are, unless a bunch of dudes in my area pick it up I'll probably wait and see how it develops through a couple of expansions. It's not "bad" per se, and maybe a lot of my feeling is due to comparing it to the old game, but it just didn't grab me like I had hoped.

PaybackJack posted:

There's a few effects that add fate counters, yes. Stuff like "If you win a battle, add a fate counter to all dudes fighting at that province" and other similar things.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Another question:

alansmithee posted:

Military seems by far the most common victory condition (lol on you if you try for honor vs. scorpion); clans do have a distinct feel but a lot of that is kinda artificial in that you're still just fighting, the only thing changing is if you use the top or bottom number more.

Do you think this was due to lack of time spent playing the game? My first thought was that people were going to have decks where you'd totally miss each other because there was no point defending military with your political guys, but then my second thought was that perhaps this is a balance decision in order to force people to build decks with a variety of characters; ie, not just the political ones.

Sort of how, you can't just cram every strong military character into your deck in aGoT2e, because you still need to be able to defend Intrigue and Power.

As an aside, was that an option based on the characters or were all the Scorpion and Crane laughably bad at Military and extremely strong at Politics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
They turned L5R into AGoT.

What the gently caress.

I expected the mechanics to get gutted, fair, but I didn't expect them to get lazy and just copy-paste another game's mechanics over it. There are good and necessary changes, but changing conflicts to AGoT-but-even-more-limited is an absurdly bitter pill to swallow. The removal of movement and the high stakes of battle outright murders the most interesting elements of the old game.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 19, 2017