Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
So what's the one-month-verdict? Buy now, wait for GOTY or sell all EA stock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So i've been diving hard in the ME:A multiplayer but neglected single player until they patch it a bunch.

Anyways, ME:A multiplayer is horribly broken too, so I started playing single player.

After the first vault on EOS, I realized my build sucks so i was happy to find it cost 20 credits to respec. What guns do you guys use in single player that you're liking? Also vetra and drack seem to be the only logical choices without being able to control minion powers.

I respecced into a vanguard build of Annihilation, Charge and Nova... Going to be a blast I think. Are shotguns broken in single player like multiplayer (not doing the damage stated per shot?)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Smol posted:

wait until at LEAST 50% off

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So i've been diving hard in the ME:A multiplayer but neglected single player until they patch it a bunch.

Anyways, ME:A multiplayer is horribly broken too, so I started playing single player.

After the first vault on EOS, I realized my build sucks so i was happy to find it cost 20 credits to respec. What guns do you guys use in single player that you're liking? Also vetra and drack seem to be the only logical choices without being able to control minion powers.

I respecced into a vanguard build of Annihilation, Charge and Nova... Going to be a blast I think. Are shotguns broken in single player like multiplayer (not doing the damage stated per shot?)

The Crusader's solid. The Dhan has two rounds before a reload, but it hits like a train.

Also a buddy swears by the homing plasma augment, says it greatly increases the range since the pellets converge on the target right before impact.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Smol posted:

Wait for GOTY or a solid sale, probably.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Moola posted:

wait until at LEAST 50% off

So in another couple weeks.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
Anyone else notice how the women's version of the initiative suit has a huge rear end effect going on?

It's kind of blatant when you have the men's model right next to it for comparison

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Smol posted:

Wait for GOTY if you want to play a Mass Effect game that's too long, deeply flawed, but occasionally enjoyable. I wouldn't really recommend buying it now unless you know you'll enjoy absolutely anything that uses the basic Bioware formula and/or you only care about the combat, which is good but lacks variety.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

The Hesh, one of the Kett shotguns, is real good. The Disciple's good as well. The Falcon, the assault rifle that's actually a grenade launcher, is pretty fun. I don't think SP shotguns are broken because they're extremely strong, but that could just be SP stat bloat.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

big time bisexual posted:

Anyone else notice how the women's version of the initiative suit has a huge rear end effect going on?

It's kind of blatant when you have the men's model right next to it for comparison

Illusive man set the asses to "thic" during Cryo

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Charge + Nova + Singularity and the Asari Sword makes Insanity almost too easy unless you get greedy. I think once they patch it all and the DLC drops I'll come back and try an Infiltrator run.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

TipsyMcStagger posted:

If you're thinking to detonate annihilation with close ranged charges you're going to be disappointed, last time I tried you couldn't combo charge with your own annihilation field.

^burtle posted:

Charge + Nova + Singularity and the Asari Sword makes Insanity almost too easy unless you get greedy. I think once they patch it all and the DLC drops I'll come back and try an Infiltrator run.
Charge + tac cloak + rapid deployment + asari sword.

Supplement your ABC with ABI (Always Be Invisible).

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Yeah can't wait to spend money on DLC for Mass Effect: Andromeda, a Mac Walters Joint

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

isk posted:

The Crusader's solid. The Dhan has two rounds before a reload, but it hits like a train.

Also a buddy swears by the homing plasma augment, says it greatly increases the range since the pellets converge on the target right before impact.

Can confirm that Seeking Plasma is very good for shotguns. I've been using the Piranha with both the seeking augment and a bio-converter. As long as it's vaguely pointed in an enemy's direction the pellets are perfectly accurate out to medium range and can go around cover, melting everything without ever having to reload.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

tooterfish posted:

If you're thinking to detonate annihilation with close ranged charges you're going to be disappointed, last time I tried you couldn't combo charge with your own annihilation field.

But you can nova detonate, So charge towards the tool, annihilation procs, nova slam, charge for shields regen, SHOTGUN TO THE FAAAAAAAACE!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Illusive man set the asses to "thic" during Cryo

It's a subtle clue, along with the facial animations, that the crew of the Andromeda initiative was killed and replaced with androids.

The game really has some surprising storytelling beats under the surface.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

moola is hecking cool and good

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

TipsyMcStagger posted:

But you can nova detonate, So charge towards the tool, annihilation procs, nova slam, charge for shields regen, SHOTGUN TO THE FAAAAAAAACE!

Nova is not a detonator in this game (it can be upgraded to be a primer though). My vanguard powers were Charge, Annihilation, and Shockwave, with the Fusion Mod of Adrenaline which resets cooldowns when you get a kill.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Reegar Carbine is amazing.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
I carry the Reegar Carbine, Phirana, Hurricane and Talon :lol:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

TipsyMcStagger posted:

They're broken in the other direction in SP. Vanguarding with a Piranha with the seeker mod is just gross and terrible and probably illegal in the Milky Way. Mine has a 12 round magazine and I used it, singularity and charge to gently caress up an Architect.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Tsargon the Great posted:

Completed the game, boy was that a lovely final sequence. That was a really scary half hour without SAM at the end there, I had no idea if the temperature was normal or abnormal or if I should open my mining interface

They should have moved SAM being severed from you from the end of the game to halfway through. By that time I was yelling at my computer screen to shut the gently caress up every time SAM would chime in with his nonsense anyway. The side effects could keep getting worse. Natalie Dormer could be more involved in the plot as the doctor trying to get Ryder to slow the heck down/get help to justify her exorbitant appearance fee. The final door could be a Homer Cannonball moment. You know. Create more drama. Instead we get "it's just a bloody nose lol here's a datapad that explains what maybe could have happened ok cya."

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

let me tell you ti's going to be absolutely heartwrenching when Lexi dies 5 minutes into the next game, purely for story reasons i assure you

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Smol posted:

It's by far the worst entry in the series, including the badly rushed ME3. However it's not a terrible game and if not for its brand pedigree it would be a cautiously optimistic C+ from a new studio.

That's a long-winded way of saying 70.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 19, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I thought 3 skill profiles would be all right but they turn levels up into a feel bad late game.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Arglebargle III posted:

I thought 3 skill profiles would be all right but they turn levels up into a feel bad late game.

The profiles and favorites whatever would've been perfectly FINE and cool (or whatever) if there wasn't that dumb loving cooldown whenever you switched. As it stands however it just actively punishes you in combat for using more than three skills.

It's just so goddamned stupid.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Arglebargle III posted:

It's by far the worst entry in the series, including the badly rushed ME3. However it's not a terrible game and if not for its brand pedigree it would be a cautiously optimistic C+ from a new studio.

That's a long-winded way of saying 70.

From what I can tell, the gameplay overall seems improved, but the storyline, characters, and especially dialogue have taken a steep nosedive into straight up embarrassing territory.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Gameplay is NOT improved

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Geostomp posted:

From what I can tell, the gameplay overall seems improved, but the storyline, characters, and especially dialogue have taken a steep nosedive into straight up embarrassing territory.
You're pretty correct, and it's a solid simple way of explaining the game's failings, but I would add that combat gameplay is improved (aside from, you know, whatever, the skill usings and combat encounter design and the bumfuckingly stupid squadmates and lack of control of them), but the quest gameplay is loving retarded.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Things that are bad about this RPG:

quests
skills
dialog

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there any point to the Explorer profile?

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
So I uninstalled this game and sent EA an inquiry into getting a partial refund/wage for bug testing

Which ending do you think I will get? ( Rt )

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Arglebargle III posted:

Is there any point to the Explorer profile?

The biotic teleport evade looks cool and visually pairs well with using the asari sword.

Otherwise it seems like the perfect profile for people who don't want to gently caress around with profiles and just set and forget it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Drifter posted:

The profiles and favorites whatever would've been perfectly FINE and cool (or whatever) if there wasn't that dumb loving cooldown whenever you switched. As it stands however it just actively punishes you in combat for using more than three skills.

It's just so goddamned stupid.
It is dumb, but there's a consumable item (that you're probably already swimming in) that instantly resets cooldowns so you have a workaround.

I got that email from EA asking for feedback so I gave 'em an earful about the lovely sidequests/tasks and some of the other stuff that comes up repeatedly in the thread. I let them know I enjoyed the game though so it doesn't immediately go into the trash bin :v:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SubponticatePoster posted:

It is dumb, but there's a consumable item (that you're probably already swimming in) that instantly resets cooldowns so you have a workaround.

I got that email from EA asking for feedback so I gave 'em an earful about the lovely sidequests/tasks and some of the other stuff that comes up repeatedly in the thread. I let them know I enjoyed the game though so it doesn't immediately go into the trash bin :v:

It's the oddest thing, like - that super cheap consumable is so prevalent you may as well just not loving have it, the same with the loving modified bullets. It would literally make combat SO much more enjoyable and active. Just do the ammo per combat, not for two or three fuckign reloads, and dump the switch cooldown. God drat I am so angry. Shaking in my e-boots. If I had a twitter account I'd be tweeting up a vicious storm, believe you me. Vicious.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Drifter posted:

It's the oddest thing, like - that super cheap consumable is so prevalent you may as well just not loving have it, the same with the loving modified bullets. It would literally make combat SO much more enjoyable and active. Just do the ammo per combat, not for two or three fuckign reloads, and dump the switch cooldown. God drat I am so angry. Shaking in my e-boots. If I had a twitter account I'd be tweeting up a vicious storm, believe you me. Vicious.

You know what, I just realized that I beat the game without ever using any consumables. gently caress were those purposeless.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Drifter posted:

Yeah I rarely used ammo poo poo, maybe had some disruptor if I was going into a vault or whatever. Why worry about ammo types when I can explode things with my face?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Weren't those always-on weapon mods as of ME, then became class powers? I think this is the first one with consumable special ammo.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

ME3 Multiplayer had consumable special ammo, maybe because multiplayer characters only had three powers and wasting one of those on ammo would be lame.

Probably similar reasoning for MEA.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love that August Bradley calls you out for wearing N7 armor. It's not even her father's at that point she built it from scratch. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I don't think I used a single consumable during my entire playthrough. I'm not even sure if I know how.