Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugghhghghg you can't create exceptions in Nessus for compliance scan items? Do I seriously need to export CSVs and come up with some custom database to report on only items I care about?

Solaron posted:

My only experience with SIEM is NetWitness (formerly Security Analytics, formerly NetWitness), which we use at my current employer. How does that stack up?

I thought I'd touched a lot of SIEMS but I always forget about this one. I had the misfortune of having to work with RSA enVision a few years ago and I think that set the bar for the worst software I have ever used in my entire life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.

Martytoof posted:

Ugghhghghg you can't create exceptions in Nessus for compliance scan items? Do I seriously need to export CSVs and come up with some custom database to report on only items I care about?

I thought I'd touched a lot of SIEMS but I always forget about this one. I had the misfortune of having to work with RSA enVision a few years ago and I think that set the bar for the worst software I have ever used in my entire life.

I've only seen enVision a few times since we were just completing our migration project from enVision to NetWitness when I started, but it seemed terrible. Definitely worse than NetWitness, but I have no real experience now with the competition.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
“So what are we having for dinner today?”

“Nice, succulent, slow-cooked cloud computing.”

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Double Punctuation posted:

LOL, I'm glad I decided not to pick one of these up. A sous vide cooker should be at about the same technological complexity as a Crock Pot. Set the desired temp, and walk away for a few hours. It doesn't even need to have auto-off or auto-on, since the cooking time doesn't matter that much. In fact, you're better off leaving whatever 'cooking' at 140F than to have the device shut off and let bacteria start to grow in your cooling meal.

Old-school Option: Google search "sous vide temperature steak", input temp, and set any handy timer for 2-3 hours.

IOT Option: Find phone, turn on bluetooth, pair to Anova, download app/update app, sign in/create account, click through ads, use lovely app to find the food I'm cooking, and worry that my device will be bricked when Anova goes out of business.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
You can still just turn the knob.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Guy Axlerod posted:

You can still just turn the knob.

One of my friends has this smoker: https://www.charbroil.com/smartchef-digital-electric-smoker

For some idiotic reason the app is required to set the temperature. When he brought it down to my house a few weeks back during a LAN party the fact that my WiFi SSID has a space in it was the root cause behind a full hour of frustration when trying to get dinner going. This was with four people who all work in various IT fields prodding it and using monitor mode on Linux to watch the actual WiFi traffic. A normal person wouldn't have had a chance at figuring this out.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

B-Nasty posted:

click through ads

Haha, they run ads? That's some brazen poo poo.

My Anova has Bluetooth capability I think (there's a symbol on the face) but I've never used it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I tried the bluetooth thing just to see if it was useful. Setting the temperature in the app was actually a worse UX. You have to use a spinner, instead of typing a number in.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Subjunctive posted:

Haha, they run ads? That's some brazen poo poo.

My Anova has Bluetooth capability I think (there's a symbol on the face) but I've never used it.

I tried it once, saw the app was poo poo, and went back to just manually punching it in.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

“So what are we having for dinner today?”

This is stupid and I'm not siding with the company, but I'm genuinely surprised there are so many people using the app. It takes me longer to open the app, connect it to my Anova, and set the temperature than it does to just walk up to the anova (which I have to do, to turn on BT) and turn the knob to set temperature. It's literally "app for the sake of having an app".

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

wolrah posted:

One of my friends has this smoker: https://www.charbroil.com/smartchef-digital-electric-smoker

For some idiotic reason the app is required to set the temperature. When he brought it down to my house a few weeks back during a LAN party the fact that my WiFi SSID has a space in it was the root cause behind a full hour of frustration when trying to get dinner going. This was with four people who all work in various IT fields prodding it and using monitor mode on Linux to watch the actual WiFi traffic. A normal person wouldn't have had a chance at figuring this out.

BTW I love setting Wi-Fi passwords with spaces in them because no one ever expects it to be a valid character. I think the main password lists out there don't have spaces in them unless you write some thing like a filter in hashcat.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Oh my god, this one doesn't even have a dial. It's either the app or loving Alexa. :lol:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

EVIL Gibson posted:

BTW I love setting Wi-Fi passwords with spaces in them because no one ever expects it to be a valid character. I think the main password lists out there don't have spaces in them unless you write some thing like a filter in hashcat.

I learned something today.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Latest ShadowBrokers dump is apparently less of a nothingburger than their last one.

https://twitter.com/x0rz/status/852851891285487616

https://twitter.com/hackerfantastic/status/852851946146975744

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

EVIL Gibson posted:

This isn't true. The ?s mask in hashcat which covers all special characters also includes the space. So if a mask uses ?s or ?a it's going to catch your space.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Doug posted:

This isn't true. The ?s mask in hashcat which covers all special characters also includes the space. So if a mask uses ?s or ?a it's going to catch your space.

That's what I meant, masks not filters.

Do the rockyou default mask include spaces?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Nothing new there, but a fairly comprehensive article about Cylance and other AV products: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/the-mystery-of-the-malware-that-wasnt/

I've decided I don't like these guys much. Working in the network equipment benchmarking industry I'm not surprised in the slightest, but these guys seem pretty aggressive about it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If a vendor is pushing a product as a revolution then it probably isn't.

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.
Just had a request from my boss to evaluate Vectra Networks to bring on-board as part of our SOC. Anyone have any experience with them?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
What's a good book to learn more about crypto just for personal reading and education? No, I won't be "rolling my own," but I would love to know the semi-technical workings of public keys, AES-CTR, stream ciphers...stuff like that.

As a point of reference, I've took basic calculus in college (many years ago) and I read a lot about PC hardware and security issues, but I don't code.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

What's a good book to learn more about crypto just for personal reading and education? No, I won't be "rolling my own," but I would love to know the semi-technical workings of public keys, AES-CTR, stream ciphers...stuff like that.

As a point of reference, I've took basic calculus in college (many years ago) and I read a lot about PC hardware and security issues, but I don't code.

Read Simon Singh's Code Book then pickup Applied Cryptography by Bruce Schneier.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

https://crypto.stanford.edu/~dabo/cryptobook/draft_0_3.pdf

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

OSI bean dip posted:

Read Simon Singh's Code Book then pickup Applied Cryptography by Bruce Schneier.

You guys rock. These are outstanding!

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
That book corresponds closely to Dan Boneh's course on Coursera if you want to learn in video form or do test questions on each topic.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
I've been really enjoying working through https://www.crypto101.io/ myself.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
This is a pretty good resource too if you want to learn crypto by breaking it: https://cryptopals.com/

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Doug posted:

This is a pretty good resource too if you want to learn crypto by breaking it: https://cryptopals.com/

Seconded, this was fun.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Recommended CISM study guides?

My employer is paying my way because reasons, just need a book to cram before forgetting all the formalisms of the exam material five years later :D

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 19, 2017

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

If anyone is still doing evaluations, it would probably be a good idea to make sure the vendor isn't using extremely sensitive live data in its demos.

(Source is WSJ, so I linked a summary due to the paywall.)

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

If anyone is still doing evaluations, it would probably be a good idea to make sure the vendor isn't using extremely sensitive live data in its demos.

Holy guacafuckingmole they have to be about to get destroyed by a lawsuit right?

Why in the name of gently caress wouldn't you just set up your own demo environment if the company is really worth 3 billion dollars?

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Does anyone have any solid advice / tools for reviewing firewall rule sets for PCI compliance? My boss dropped this task on me this week and I've never touched a Firewall rule set before (although understanding them is easy enough), or audited anything for PCI compliance for that matter. A previous employee wrote some vba code in Microsoft access to do these types of reviews. However, the program was getting caught in an infinite loop while parsing the config files.

I spent my day tracing through the code and I believe I solved the issue. Not really sure though, because I've never seen this program run before, and all of my co-workers haven't used it either. So, the program seems to parse the files now, but I'm unsure if it's doing so correctly. Does anyone have any tools to make my life easier? If not I'm going to be spending the weekend trying to fix this access database or rolling my own QAD implementation in Python.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm not sure having the firewall rules in a more readable format is going to help you too much with assessing whether those rules allow the network(s) affected by them to be PCI compliant or not. At best you will get to a point where you have x number of zones/subnets/whatever defined, and the traffic that is allowed to pass between them, but without an understanding of the network itself surely you aren't able to give it the green light for compliance? And also you definitely don't want to be making any definitive statements on compliance either way.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My surefire method of firewall review for PCI compliance is:

Delegate it to someone with more patience (who is obligated to do what you say)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 20, 2017

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Run a PCI scan if it's externally accessible and then correct whatever it caught. What else would you need to do?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm not the PCI dude so maybe I'm interpreting the requirements incorrectly, but in my mind the intent of the firewall audit is to be certain that the rules you have in place are least privilege and up to date. So I mean you could have rules which may have been put in incorrectly, or made sense at one point, but no longer make sense, applications/servers that were decommissioned still being granted access through zones, etc.

I can run a scan against a subnet and it won't trigger if the server that was decommissioned is down, but that doesn't mean the rule shouldn't be removed once found. Just stuff like that.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 20, 2017

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Yah after reading the PCI requirements for firewalls it's actually not as ambiguous as I thought. If you're big enough to have a PCI guy why aren't they just feeding you the requirements? The change management and business documentation portions sound like particularly huge pains in the rear end depending on where it's at now.

Edit: god drat it, not even sort of following this convo correctly. Person who got this dropped on you, your boss has given you what will likely turn out to be a Sisyphean task.

milk milk lemonade fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 20, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The problem is that the PCI guy will just say this needs to be done and documented and supporting evidence made available. You still need to do the work yourself, or if you're someone who doesn't have intimate knowledge of every single port and component of an application that has to communicate between zones then you'd better hope you have up to date documentation (hint: you probably don't), because then that means week long meetings with business owners while they try to track down engineers responsible for everything and make them come to "useless" meetings.

That's why I try to push to do reviews quarterly to not let too much cruft build up, before things have a chance to wildly deviate from what I remember last time.

When I went through my first PCI audit the QSA chuckled and told me that it stands for "Pain Commences Immediately" and we all had a laugh. Little did I know he wasn't joking.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 20, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

It's okay, I'm sure that they'll be prosecuted under the Computer Fraud and Abuahahahaha I can't possibly say that with a straight face.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Reminds me of when I used to work on a government contract and the tax department happily furnished us with access to their testing database... which was a copy of the production database. Yep, everyone's tax details right there to touch, names and all included. I didn't even have to uniquely identify myself to access them.

The border patrol did the exact same thing. I wonder if this is common practice all over...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What does your heart tell you?