Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
is that an OFF character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Herr Tog posted:

half life two?

HL2 gives you the supercharged gravity gun and supercharged health/armor as recompense, and the game ends after the gearless section.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

Asehujiko posted:

One possible variation I could think of is an amorphous ghost holding the substitute doll as a teddy bear. The ghost still has no real form but is no longer ashamed of it and doesn't need to hide in the substitute any more.

This is also good! What Uranium did is so, so not.

And it's a trade evo???? I don't know why, but that's my line that the game crossed. This is just not a good game, guys.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Scarodactyl posted:

But what if we pushed it in the other direction?

(seriously though I was expecting something more like this from the description).

This is some sort of Ragnarok Online monster. (also, pretty sweet spritework)

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
I really don't like trade evos even in official games, because either you're getting a fully evolved pokemon and missing out on the earlier stages, or you're trading it and then trading back which then becomes a binary "do you have a friend with the game" check. I'm not fond of how breeding is basically necessary to get "optimal" pokemon either, especially when it's to get something vital like an important egg move or an ability rather than just a good nature or IVs. Anything that interferes with the "I caught this pokemon on route 2 and it's my buddy for the whole game!" style narrative irks me because it undercuts some of the charm and the friendshipy message the games are always trying to have.

Of course that's not in Uranium so maybe "give away your friends to make them stronger" fits in. :v:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
With the standard games, at this point getting a trade evolution is more a matter of being able to get your system online. There are a lot of places to set up tradebacks with people. No friends required :v:. And with the new introduction of super training, it is also even more possible to stick with that guy you've had since the very beginning. I think the games do a good job of letting the friendship forever aesthetic coexist with the min/max battle aesthetic. You don't need to make anything optimal to beat the game, so you can go through it with some pretty weird teams. The worst part about breeding is it still takes too drat long, even with the improvements. The games should just hand you a 6IV Ditto at some point.

Of course, this all goes out the window with Uranium on pretty much every level, so I can see why you are bringing it up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Scarodactyl posted:

(seriously though I was expecting something more like this from the description).

Man, the new Persona game has some hardcore enemy designs.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I actually like the trade evo, because the pokedex says it's gone crazy because of betrayal and abandonment, and the only way it evolves is if a player gives it away. It's another example of crossing a line pokemon very deliberately avoids (They don't want little kids worrying about their traded pokemon hating them) but I do think it's comically appropriate.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Precambrian posted:

I actually like the trade evo, because the pokedex says it's gone crazy because of betrayal and abandonment, and the only way it evolves is if a player gives it away. It's another example of crossing a line pokemon very deliberately avoids (They don't want little kids worrying about their traded pokemon hating them) but I do think it's comically appropriate.

This is the fate of that Zubat you keep Wonder Trading.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Like, you have a fan game. You have the world available to you. Make a midgame NPC who'll do trade evos for you as long as you have the Metal Coat / Upgrades. Make it cost a Nugget or something, who cares.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I have to believe including trade-evos or not offering a way to circumvent them comes from an obsession of trying to make Uranium as "legit" as possible. If it's a thing the original games do, Uranium should do it as well. Like one part believing enough people will play the fan-game to do trades with one another and one part believing that having a way around them would make the game feel more like a cheap fan game?

Granted Uranium sure doesn't strive to not feel like a cheap fan game in other parts.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bogart posted:

Like, you have a fan game. You have the world available to you.

In nine out of ten fan works of any sort, this gets mentally parsed as "you can make this as needlessly dark/crass/cynical as you want and nobody can tell you to cut it out!".

Uranium is very much part of that nine.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Scarodactyl posted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly, the issue isn't even that it's dark and cynical, it's that it's bad and inconsistent at being those things.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
When it comes to trade evolutions, it's kind of telling that in the last game, the only "new" trade evolution (Alolan Golem) doesn't actually require you to have someone to trade with (shortly after the point where you could first catch Alolan Geodudes, there's an NPC who'll trade you Alolan Graveller, without any of that "ha ha I stuck an Everstone on it" poo poo, so bam, instant Golem). That implies that even Game Freak is getting a little tired of trade evos. But of course, as with most fan games and fan-made "spiritual successors" (SEE: about a third of all Kickstarted video games), they just transplant mechanics without trying to learn any lessons from them, leading to a result that ends up feeling dated, and possibly even proving inferior to an official new entry in the franchise. I mean, with Uranium, if you ignore all the bad writing and lovely Pokemon design, you've still got a game that, from what I've seen, looks like it probably feels like Gen III or IV in terms of structure and overall gameplay.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I think the problem with Chainite (and many fanmade pokemon) is that they look at the pokedex entries of the proper mons and go, "Wow there's some grim stuff in here. That means we can make a pokemon with a grim design!" Most pokemon have pretty friendly designs, though. Phantump might have a horrifying origin in the pokedex, but it looks like a cute little tree ghost. Drifblim might carry children to purgatory or whatever, but he's still a goofy hug-blimp.

I can only really think of two ghosts with intimidating designs. Giratina looks pretty threatening, but it's a box legendary and served as the pseudo-villain of its trio, so that makes sense. The only other creepy ghost is Banette, but it's a lonely doll that just wants to be loved again. The rest of the ghosts are either goofy tricksters like Gengar, cute things like Rotom, or inanimate objects like Golurk or the boat anchor.

Speaking of pokemon fangames, has anyone here played Zeta / Omicron? I stumbled across it a long while back and it looked okay, but I'm wondering if it dove headfirst into Edgetown like most of these games tend to.

edit: VVV Wonderful.

Rainuwastaken fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 18, 2017

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Rainuwastaken posted:

Speaking of pokemon fangames, has anyone here played Zeta / Omicron? I stumbled across it a long while back and it looked okay, but I'm wondering if it dove headfirst into Edgetown like most of these games tend to.

The games start with you fleeing your home town after a terrorist attack. And it's really just downhill from there, iirc.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Zeta was pretty okay. I didn't play much of it but what I played seemed fine.

The storyline was bleh but the gameplay felt like one of the older Pokemon games. Nothing to write home about.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Herr Tog posted:

same way we forgot looney toon squad reboot in the 90s

Oh god dammit.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
I haven't played Zeta/Omicron but from what I've seen of them they go so hard with the goofy poo poo as well as the edgey poo poo that if you told me they were a parody of things like Uranium, I'd believe you.

Like I said, haven't played it to confirm, but they seem to hit the sweet spot of 'this is so bad it's hilarious' rather than the low drone of suck that Uranium is producing. Plus I think the gameplay is more balanced. That's gotta help.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

From what little I played of Z/O, it came off as less edgelord and more completely out of their gourd, though in a mildly endearing way.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Schubalts posted:

Oh god dammit.

I actually had to check to make sure my memory was working, and if they mean Loonatics Unleashed, that was in the mid aughts, not the nineties.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I wonder if it's coincidence two of the three power plants in this game are named Zeta and Omicron.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I never watched it but the premise for "Fighting Foodies" as presented in teh intro is potentially interesting. Shame it's trash. According to the intro the monsters are based on recipes that the characters cook so you could have hundreds of different designs based off the same base recipe depending on tweaks, and having to make each dude from scratch would prevent just throwing out the same dude every battle (*cough* Pikachu *cough*)

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

BioEnchanted posted:

I never watched it but the premise for "Fighting Foodies" as presented in teh intro is potentially interesting. Shame it's trash. According to the intro the monsters are based on recipes that the characters cook so you could have hundreds of different designs based off the same base recipe depending on tweaks, and having to make each dude from scratch would prevent just throwing out the same dude every battle (*cough* Pikachu *cough*)

The first big upgrade for the protag's main Foodon, Fried Ricer, is a single perfectly placed pea on top of the rice mound. Yes, Fried Ricer, a plate of fried rice that uses martial arts. I'm pretty sure they did have to recook the food in order to get them back to full health, too, because they are actual food that the chefs magically turn into not-Pokemon.

Fighting Foodons was full of stupid food puns and it owned and I will fight you.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Schubalts posted:

The first big upgrade for the protag's main Foodon, Fried Ricer, is a single perfectly placed pea on top of the rice mound. Yes, Fried Ricer, a plate of fried rice that uses martial arts. I'm pretty sure they did have to recook the food in order to get them back to full health, too, because they are actual food that the chefs magically turn into not-Pokemon.

Fighting Foodons was full of stupid food puns and it owned and I will fight you.

food puns are okay but the designs of those food puns can gently caress right off.

EclecticTastes posted:

I actually had to check to make sure my memory was working, and if they mean Loonatics Unleashed, that was in the mid aughts, not the nineties.

I am not sure how to feel at this correction.

also anyone remember the time traveling cave man collecting not pokemon with a talking hammer that was his father? Yea me neither

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Herr Tog posted:

also anyone remember the time traveling cave man collecting not pokemon with a talking hammer that was his father? Yea me neither

I actually remember that one, it's pretty crazy, including one of the female villain's start of her villainy was because Current-Her went back in time and stole Past-Her Not-Pokemon Friend, and there's the stalker vampire detective.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Scarodactyl posted:

This is great work

Rainuwastaken posted:

I think the problem with Chainite (and many fanmade pokemon) is that they look at the pokedex entries of the proper mons and go, "Wow there's some grim stuff in here. That means we can make a pokemon with a grim design!" Most pokemon have pretty friendly designs, though. Phantump might have a horrifying origin in the pokedex, but it looks like a cute little tree ghost. Drifblim might carry children to purgatory or whatever, but he's still a goofy hug-blimp.

I can only really think of two ghosts with intimidating designs. Giratina looks pretty threatening, but it's a box legendary and served as the pseudo-villain of its trio, so that makes sense. The only other creepy ghost is Banette, but it's a lonely doll that just wants to be loved again. The rest of the ghosts are either goofy tricksters like Gengar, cute things like Rotom, or inanimate objects like Golurk or the boat anchor.

Yeah, the basic idea of Linkite is okay-a ghost that takes the form of a substitute doll because it doesn't remember its original form, even maybe the part about being connected to its original Pokeball-but it would work so much better going the other way, taking into account the typical messages of FRIENDSHIP and TEAMWORK from the series. Have a darker form if you want, but where darker = more spikes or claws or red eyes or whatever not chains and a straitjacket lmao

Also, instead of a trade requirement for evolving Linkite, maybe you could just make it so that it evolves after levelling up once it's learned Frustration. You could even make it so it needs to be at max power/lowest happiness to count, for extra edginess. Then you could have a Return based alternative evolution too.

I like the idea of something dumb like Linkite has to be at max affection, then you give it a Friend Ball to hold and when it levels it evolves, the ball is consumed, and becomes part of it's evolved design, in the tail ball pattern

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Herr Tog posted:

Do you mean Flint the Time Detective? That show kinda owned, actually, though it was less Pokemon and more Digimon, given how the weird time critters could temporarily power up and stuff.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Herr Tog posted:

Absolutely I remember Flint the Time Detective, though admittedly the fact that the recurring villain wore latex thigh-highs, a strapless dress and brandished an actual whip probably helped.

Those early 2000s Saban adaptations sure were something else.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Oh were we talking about Zeta/Omicron? How about the fact that they have Ash Ketchum show up as a grunt for the villains and have him whine and moan about how much of a pathetic failure he is. How about having an NPC scream about how she was on her nuzlocke challenge and you've killed her Pokemon. It's Garbo.

Oh, fair talk to people who are going to place Pokemon like Pawniard and Gollet earlier in the game... adjust their evo levels. Their original Evo-Levels were as they were because you didn't have them for 90% of the game they debuted in, there was a deliberate level-curve there.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Scarodactyl posted:

Getting pretty strong Xenomorph Queen vibes from this. It's probably the curve and the big jaw.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Onmi posted:

Oh, fair talk to people who are going to place Pokemon like Pawniard and Gollet earlier in the game... adjust their evo levels. Their original Evo-Levels were as they were because you didn't have them for 90% of the game they debuted in, there was a deliberate level-curve there.

To be fair, Gamefreak was just as guilty of this in X/Y... which brings us right back to the point of "why even have trade evos?" but still.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Oh also, I recall hearing about this early in Z/O but I dunno if it made it into the current or final or whatever version: Just to be extra douchey, there was an AI setting used for some trainers (Gym Leaders etc) that made it so the opponent knew which move you'd input and then chose its move accordingly, rather than at random or using a different algorithm. So it knew when it could get free switch-ins, when to set-up because you were gonna Protect, etc.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Raitzeno posted:

Oh also, I recall hearing about this early in Z/O but I dunno if it made it into the current or final or whatever version: Just to be extra douchey, there was an AI setting used for some trainers (Gym Leaders etc) that made it so the opponent knew which move you'd input and then chose its move accordingly, rather than at random or using a different algorithm. So it knew when it could get free switch-ins, when to set-up because you were gonna Protect, etc.

What does that even add other than "difficulty?" How are you supposed to beat that? No Pokemon game ever goes that far with its trainer AI.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
That'd be thematic but still a pain in the rear end for psychic gym leaders at least, hopefully if it made it in, the player is at least warned that the gym leader can see the future.

Reimou
Jan 20, 2015
I think this thread might have become the biggest source of Pokemon Uranium fan art on the internet now. It's wonderful.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

EclecticTastes posted:

Do you mean Flint the Time Detective? That show kinda owned, actually, though it was less Pokemon and more Digimon, given how the weird time critters could temporarily power up and stuff.

oh goddamnit how did you get that from that? they renamed these things so awkwardly.

Justice Sloth posted:

Absolutely I remember Flint the Time Detective, though admittedly the fact that the recurring villain wore latex thigh-highs, a strapless dress and brandished an actual whip probably helped.

Those early 2000s Saban adaptations sure were something else.

so. episode one at about 1:35 after opening there is a up skirt panty joke that the dub ignores so I think you are not completely at fault.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I actually HAD forgotten about Flint, and now that you've reminded me, I remember Mon Colle Knights too. GDI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Reimou posted:

I think this thread might have become the biggest source of Pokemon Uranium fan art on the internet now. It's wonderful.

I don't think this really qualifies as fanart.

• Locked thread