Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Arcsquad12 posted:

Reminder that Denning wrote about 30 year old Tahiri molesting 14 year old Ben

Troy Denning posted:

Yeah, I admit it. I have a thing for bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Then again, wasn't it in a Christie Golden fotj book where Ben smacks the poo poo out of vestara, ties her up in her bedsheets with the force, roots through her computer and then feels bad so he spoons with her a page later?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

What next generation characters are in their early 40s outside of Kyp?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Reminder that Denning wrote about 30 year old Tahiri molesting 14 year old Ben
The person who had the energy to care died when Mara did. FOTJ is a terrible series but if I was forced at gunpoint to read one or the other it wouldn't be a hard decision. LOTF also had a plot where Ben almost leaves a little girl to die on a hostile planet because that's what Jacen would have done. In the end he goes back for her but come on.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Then again, wasn't it in a Christie Golden fotj book where Ben smacks the poo poo out of vestara, ties her up in her bedsheets with the force, roots through her computer and then feels bad so he spoons with her a page later?
Still less cringey than most of their interactions.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I finished reading Thrawn on the bus into work this morning. It's definitely in my top three from the NEU.

I really hope they keep Zahn on board for future novels. And that they don't unceremoniously kill off Thrawn in Season 4 of Rebels.

I also wonder if they're going to introduce the Chiss in the films at all now. I wouldn't be surprised if they did, at least.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Thrawn has a lot of plot points that could have come straight out of Tie Fighter. Zahn also has continued his habit of having lots of named side characters which I like. His books feel like there's huge galaxy out there while the lesser authors feel like they work in a very small very empty universe.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has anyone considered the theory that Rey is actually a Kenobi? I watched TFA again last night and I caught Ewan mcgregor's voice when she has her lightsaber vision. Obi-Wan maybe banged a lot of chicks and therefore when his standalone movie comes out we meet Rey's potential grandmother.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Has anyone considered the theory that Rey is actually a Kenobi? I watched TFA again last night and I caught Ewan mcgregor's voice when she has her lightsaber vision. Obi-Wan maybe banged a lot of chicks and therefore when his standalone movie comes out we meet Rey's potential grandmother.

Yes, I think this is the most likely origin for Rey personally. The timeline on her being a Skywalker is weird and I don't think Luke is that much of a lovely dad.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Yeah, that's my favourite theory of the lot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

cptn_dr posted:

Yeah, that's my favourite theory of the lot.

And it gives us an in for the Kenobi standalone film: When Obi met Sally.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

maybe. i dont think she is a Solo because i doubt han or leia would drop her off Ben went south. she is either a skywalker, a kenobi, someone new or maybe a palpatine.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

maybe. i dont think she is a Solo because i doubt han or leia would drop her off Ben went south. she is either a skywalker, a kenobi, someone new or maybe a palpatine.

The daughter of Triclops. Or Trioculus. She's the Jedi Prince(ss)

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Clearly she was the secret subject of the Mofference in Aftermath.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

greedo's her dad

how, you ask? well, once there was a bartender in mos eisley...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I still hope Rey's parents prove to be no one of note or importance. She came from nothing because she has talent and drive, not because of who her parents were.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

i wished that thread still worked(alot of the images are dead now) :(

i remeber liking those books when i was younger. a few months ago i got bored and looked at wookipieda to see how they were twisted to fit into star wars canon. it seems kadann was not the real kadann and was a Bimm or something and he has a secret war with blackhole or some poo poo.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rajah_Ubooki

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kadann

this is the poo poo that made me glad for the reboot. for every thrawn/kyle katarn/revan,kotor that was lost, we lost 20 stupid things like this.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this is the poo poo that made me glad for the reboot. for every thrawn/kyle katarn/revan,kotor that was lost, we lost 20 stupid things like this.

And hey, we got Thrawn back. I wouldn't be surprised if Revan showed up again in some way, especially since Malachor has been brought back too.

I think Kyle's gone forever though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

cptn_dr posted:

And hey, we got Thrawn back. I wouldn't be surprised if Revan showed up again in some way, especially since Malachor has been brought back too.

Kyle's shirt lives on in Cassian's wardrobe. And Revan is recanonized already, Kylo Ren used his focusing crystal to make his crazy sword.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Kyle was split into Cassian and Jyn.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

He did more than just steal Death Star plans. Of course the Jedi Knight story isn't quite as novel as it used to be.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jazerus posted:

Kyle was split into Cassian and Jyn.

Jyn is Jan Ors, right down to the clothing.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Cythereal posted:

I still hope Rey's parents prove to be no one of note or importance. She came from nothing because she has talent and drive, not because of who her parents were.
Yeah, same. gently caress Star Wars's "everyone important is always related to just a few families" nonsense. Rey should be her own thing, and Finn's not a Calrissian.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

The Star Wars trilogies have always been the stories of the Skywalker family. I don't think everyone needs to be connected, but I really can't imagine that Rey isn't, at least in some way or another.

gently caress Finn being a Calrissian though.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
"all these black people have to be related to each other", said the extremely white nerd

plus if finn was going to be related to another black person in star wars it would obviously be the force-sensitive highly-placed member of an oppressive order that seeks to overthrow the government and control the galaxy :v:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I'm pretty confident Kyle Katarn will come back when they inevitably reboot the Jedi Knight video game franchise.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

cptn_dr posted:

KOTOR is in the new continuity, isn't it, for some reason? Or is that just the MMO?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I don't think it's in continuity now, I think it's just the only Legends content still being released.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
KOTOR is in a grey area. Revan and Malachor are canon, but not int he precise way they are presented in the RPGs and the MMO.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
To be quite honest, I could take or leave Revan being canon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wheat Loaf posted:

To be quite honest, I could take or leave Revan being canon.

KOTOR 2 Revan should absolutely be canon. MMO Revan... no, not by a country mile.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I prefer that Revan exists but most of the details are lefr ambiguous.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"Tell me another story about the Revan?"

Buzz Aldrin: "Okay, one more."

Bioware's ending script for KOTOR 3.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

KOTOR 2 Revan should absolutely be canon. MMO Revan... no, not by a country mile.

I don't know. I don't think I'd like it if KOTOR 2 God-Mode Living Legend Who Might As Well Have Been the Real Chosen One Revan was canon; it's fine when that's the myth that's developed around him in-universe but I don't think it would be very interesting if Revan actually was an RPG player character with maxed-out stats.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Exile was a much more compelling character anyway, a renegade Jedi so scarred by the horrible things she took part in that she was deafened to the Force, then fought a quiet war in the dark corners of the galaxy in order to save it from a threat no one would believe exists.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Man, I should replay Kotor 2... again.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

ungulateman posted:

"all these black people have to be related to each other", said the extremely white nerd

plus if finn was going to be related to another black person in star wars it would obviously be the force-sensitive highly-placed member of an oppressive order that seeks to overthrow the government and control the galaxy :v:

I'm hoping it's Willrow Hood. That would be awesome.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I've been on a bit of a nostalgia binge recently, since I've been replaying TIE Fighter. I'm looking for more background on the making of the original trilogy and the early evolution of SW. I'm not interested in the EU, or the prequel trilogy, but I'm curious what lore on that time actually existed before Lucas made Episode One.

Is The Secret History of Star Wars by Michael Kaminski a good bet, or is there some other gold-standard reference book on that I should know about?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hannibal Rex posted:

I've been on a bit of a nostalgia binge recently, since I've been replaying TIE Fighter. I'm looking for more background on the making of the original trilogy and the early evolution of SW. I'm not interested in the EU, or the prequel trilogy, but I'm curious what lore on that time actually existed before Lucas made Episode One.

Is The Secret History of Star Wars by Michael Kaminski a good bet, or is there some other gold-standard reference book on that I should know about?
It's really good. It's also really dense and really gets into the minutia of script differences.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hannibal Rex posted:

Yes. I've sung it's praise a lot in this thread, so I'll just link to my post last time it was brought up here.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 19, 2017

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Hannibal Rex posted:

It's pretty much the gold standard.
The "Making of" books for episodes IV to VI by J.W. Rinzler are also good if you like a look into the early story, but be aware that they are officially sanctioned by Lucasfilm and as such are whitewashed occasionally. For example, the Making of Episode IV book claims that midi-chlorians were already in Lucas' early notes, and Rinzler later said that he knew that was false but Lucasfilm told him to write it in. Even so, the photographs in the books are worth the price of admission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I wonder what point or purpose there is in not just admitting "George Lucas occasionally changed his mind or introduced new elements"