Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Blattdorf posted:

If someone gets tripped up by this, you only have yourselves to blame.
i look forward to that one being the gift that keeps on giving for years to come

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

What got me was when he said at the start that he'd uploaded her data first, but hadn't had time to back himself up. He'd be losing an hour or two at the most, but she was acting like it was something irreplaceable, a fate worse than death. At the time, it seemed like a really weird overreaction, but in light of the fact that she's been killing him and essentially 'resetting' him this whole time, it suddenly takes on a whole different meaning.

It never felt like an overreaction to me - that part messed me up for a long part of Route A. 2B and 9S had just gone through this intense fight together where 9S saves her life multiple times, every time at the expense of his own well-being. It instantly endeared me to the character. Then he can't remember any of it because he didn't have time to upload his data.

It took a while for me to consider the new 9S as anything but an imposter. Like 2B says when he's about to die in the Route A/B ending, even if you can be remade, the 9S as he is there is going to die. That consciousness is going to end and while the new 9S might have 95% of his memories, it's not going to be the same person. The bit in the beginning instantly made me realize what the rest of the game was going to be about and I love it.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

KamikazePotato posted:

It never felt like an overreaction to me - that part messed me up for a long part of Route A. 2B and 9S had just gone through this intense fight together where 9S saves her life multiple times, every time at the expense of his own well-being. It instantly endeared me to the character. Then he can't remember any of it because he didn't have time to upload his data.

It took a while for me to consider the new 9S as anything but an imposter. Like 2B says when he's about to die in the Route A/B ending, even if you can be remade, the 9S as he is there is going to die. That consciousness is going to end and while the new 9S might have 95% of his memories, it's not going to be the same person. The bit in the beginning instantly made me realize what the rest of the game was going to be about and I love it.

After replaying the beginning, I figured she acted like that because they were wiping his data on purpose when it got uploaded to the bunker. Like they probably rigged the system to delete his memories or drop the connection or something whenever it was convenient, and 2B knew it but couldn't say anything to him

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 18, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yeah in retrospect her relief when Command tells her "we're pairing 9S with you again" makes sense.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

What got me was when he said at the start that he'd uploaded her data first, but hadn't had time to back himself up. He'd be losing an hour or two at the most, but she was acting like it was something irreplaceable, a fate worse than death. At the time, it seemed like a really weird overreaction, but in light of the fact that she's been killing him and essentially 'resetting' him this whole time, it suddenly takes on a whole different meaning.

if someone shoots you in the head and then somehow puts a copy of all of your memories into a cloned body, the existence of this copy of you won't mean that the you that got shot isn't dead anymore

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

RottenK posted:

if someone shoots you in the head and then somehow puts a copy of all of your memories into a cloned body, the existence of this copy of you won't mean that the you that got shot isn't dead anymore

Have you played Zero Time Dilemma?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

2B is jogging down a trail in a park, and a mechanical snail is crossing her usual route...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

2B is jogging down a trail in a park, and a mechanical snail is crossing her usual route...

What level is the snail?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Is the new "secret" boss fight available now, or will it be released at a later date?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Renoistic posted:

Is the new "secret" boss fight available now, or will it be released at a later date?

It's a part of the DLC which is not out yet

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

exploded mummy posted:

yes it was very bad

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Nina posted:

It's a part of the DLC which is not out yet

Alright, thanks! I don't have any saves right now anyway...

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

exploded mummy posted:

god the stoner science technobabble with superficial wikipedia title hopping in that game is somehow more infuriating than the characters (although it's a funny and satisfying payoff to see them all die over and over), and i say that coming from a game where i was just fighting a bunch of floating sphere heads shooting lasers and smaller copies of themselves at me while lamenting the pain of immortal existence.

Although that game was infurating in every way Automata appealed to me so if yoko taro released a DLC where he did nothing but explain Dice to me i'd probably buy it in a heartbeat

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 18, 2017

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

tweet my meat posted:

It's not intentional, the settings menu is busted for a lot of people, myself included. There's no real fix available sadly.

More importantly, Square Enix' support kinda evades the issue if you ask, they even outright dismissed it in a couple of instances.

The issue was only caused with the latest patch, which came out in Japan over a week earlier than the rest of the world. Everyone was screaming at Square "Yeah, don't release this in the west yet, it breaks the game!" and Square responded "We'll look into it, don't worry." and then they roll out the exact same patch with the same issues for everyone else anyway. And since then, pretty much radio silence on this issue. Framerate is also a lot worse for me and a bunch of other users since the patch and reports of other, new physics and animation related glitches have been cropping up, though I haven't personally experienced any of that. Not knowingly at least. Just the broken text and a much worse framerate.

John Luebke fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 18, 2017

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Simple Gadgets. I need two. Help me out?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
These side quests are really grindy. I'm just glad they're usually decently entertaining.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

RanKizama posted:

Simple Gadgets. I need two. Help me out?
There's a quest called Terminal Repairs which has them as a reward. So does Anemone's Past, if you aren't past the point of no return on Routes A & B. Beyond that, I'm not sure. Information on drop points still seems spotty. TBH I spent so much time in the early game poking around every nook and cranny that I usually had whatever a quest demanded by the time it came up. And no memory of where it came from (very helpful, I know).

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

You know, I kinda wish there was a way to turn off Perfect Dodging all together. The combat would work perfect fine without it.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
It is weirdly generous, isn't it? It got to the point where, if I lost track of my character in a melee (or a bunch of enemies exploding), I'd just mash Dodge 3 or 4 times in a row and be pretty much guaranteed to get a Perfect Dodge+counterattack out of it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Still on playthrough B, what is the significance of what I infer is a moon tear in that super conspicuous spot in the back alley of the carnival

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Have you met the super best boy yet?

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Also random side: props to 9S for being an android that people repeatedly say is not built for combat, who then proceeds to kick the poo poo out of everything in the game

KamikazePotato fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 19, 2017

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

KamikazePotato posted:

Also random side: props to 9S for being an android that people repeatedly say is not built for combat, who then proceed to kick the poo poo out of everything in the game

It's only mentioned in one of the side stories that wasn't officially translated, but scanner models are literally not even supposed to be able to wield a weapon and use that telekinetic combat poo poo the combat models get, he reprogrammed himself to be able to.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Still on playthrough B, what is the significance of what I infer is a moon tear in that super conspicuous spot in the back alley of the carnival

It's a part of Emil's Memories Quest line.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Curious what the success of this game is going to mean for Yoko Taro's career. I don't have the numbers to back this up, but I can't help but feel like this game sold better than its predecessors in large part due to cashing in on Yoko Taro as a person, turning him into something of a celebrity. I know some people were attracted by Platinum's involvement, but the majority of Square's marketing efforts seem to have revolved arounded Yoko Taro being Yoko Taro.

Now that Nier: Automata's doing quite well for them, does he more or less have free reign to do whatever he wants for his next project? Not that he wouldn't anyway but, you know, with a budget. He already seems to have secured an unusual amount of freedom to begin with.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I think i was 99% attracted by the demo looking like a decent platinum game (and they've had their fair share of clunkers so that was something i'd been eagerly anticipating), but yoko taro being a unique and funny character in the more off-kilter marketing certainly helped put his name on my map.

I doubt i'll spend a minute on that alice sin mobile game with cutesy anime girls even if they heavily try to attach his name though.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I suspect Taro doing his schtick generates the ever-elusive 'buzz,' but it helps an awful lot that the game is, you know, good. It's a blast to play, it runs smoothly (on PS4 anyway), it's over-the-top while still hitting some good emotional beats... The original Nier is the only other game he's worked on that has anything close to that level of polish. The others look like fried rear end, or wallow in tedium, or both. Drakengard 3 was Playstation exclusive, for God's sake, and yet when it ran at all, it somehow generated glitches that were unique to specific PS3s. Not model number, I mean actual, individual Playstation 3s.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

he doesn't work for square enix so anyone is free to contract the man to make weird stuff for them

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

lets hang out posted:

he doesn't work for square enix so anyone is free to contract the man to make weird stuff for them

Atlus hire him for Raidou 3 so they can restore my faith in them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Seeing Square-Enix promoting Yoko Taro as an auteur was so loving surreal lol.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I don't like the idea of the dark souls style corpse retrieval. It works in dark souls because it still sucks to die and you really want to get your corpse back, but you aren't put at any significant disadvantage if you don't make it. If you die in this game then get unlucky on the corpse run you're kinda just hosed if you had any rare chips or poo poo you had to grind out and fuse. It's pretty much a direct copy of Dark Souls, except done in a more tedious way that adds nothing positive to the experience. I haven't had it happen to me yet, but it really makes the corpse run a lot more stressful than I'd like.

There's really a lot of shaky design decisions in this otherwise fantastic game that really keep me from liking it as much as I want to.

I'm going to miss that fast blue robot ;-;

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Its really not hard to just not die.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

What's even weirder about the system is the game just forgets about it halfway through and Route C just has normal game overs without auto save

Kinda feels like it was a bit of an afterthought

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Augus posted:

What's even weirder about the system is the game just forgets about it halfway through and Route C just has normal game overs without auto save

Kinda feels like it was a bit of an afterthought

Well, it sorta makes sense when you think about it. The lore reason is deaths are semi-canonized a la Borderlands. When you die, YoRHa just sends another 2B body and you pick up your old body's corpse along the way. A2 does not have that luxury because she's been disconnected from YoRHa since going rogue. It is a poorly thought out mechanic for multiple reasons but imo that's the biggest one.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

tweet my meat posted:

I don't like the idea of the dark souls style corpse retrieval. It works in dark souls because it still sucks to die and you really want to get your corpse back, but you aren't put at any significant disadvantage if you don't make it. If you die in this game then get unlucky on the corpse run you're kinda just hosed if you had any rare chips or poo poo you had to grind out and fuse.
I was making this same comparison a lot until it dawned on me that i was being an idiot and this game - unlike souls which uses a constantly autosaving single character slot - literally has a very explicit manual saving and loading system with multiple slots, so the "retrieval" system is really just a more seamlessly integrated one-time "soft"-reload that also gets removed in late game

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CJacobs posted:

Well, it sorta makes sense when you think about it. The lore reason is deaths are semi-canonized a la Borderlands. When you die, YoRHa just sends another 2B body and you pick up your old body's corpse along the way. A2 does not have that luxury because she's been disconnected from YoRHa since going rogue. It is a poorly thought out mechanic for multiple reasons but imo that's the biggest one.

Yeah i get the in-universe logic but it makes for pretty awkward gameplay logic, should've just done away with the corpse runs altogether and just had it be an aesthetic thing.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Writing little death poems for each time you die is really awesome though.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
thematically its good and also the bodies fighting you later in the game owns

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I think i was 99% attracted by the demo looking like a decent platinum game (and they've had their fair share of clunkers so that was something i'd been eagerly anticipating), but yoko taro being a unique and funny character in the more off-kilter marketing certainly helped put his name on my map.

I doubt i'll spend a minute on that alice sin mobile game with cutesy anime girls even if they heavily try to attach his name though.

I figure the demo was a big part of the success, yeah. It wasn't just an indication the basic mechanics were solid, but it was a cool chunk of game in its own right, and it shared easily on social media to say "Hey! This game you might have vaguely heard of? It's good!"

I'm also going to toss "2B's design caught on bigtime" back into the math. It wasn't anywhere near enough on its own, but it got more eyes on the rest of the marketing, and got more people looking at the demo. Even if a game sells itself (and I'd say the demo is pretty solid about it), you need people to see it first, and "Oh, this is the game with the robutt." gets you eyes.

Add in "This is a sequel to that good game nobody played, but it's cool if you didn't play it because now it's robots in the future of the future" and "who's the weird dude in the mask?" and you get a boost that Nier 1 didn't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just beat the final boss. It kinda felt like it came out of nowhere pacing wise, and the final bit where you're forced into a walk with nothing but your primary pod weapon to plink away at the boss slowly was really lame.

Onto the next playthrough I guess? I wasn't super blown away by the game, but it's still pretty good. Way too easy on normal though, probably gonna kick it up to hard for the next run.