Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Warbadger posted:

It doesn't need to be top of the line. Even with old ammunition the Carl Gustav has enough range to hit a moving target out past 400m and a stationary one past 600m.

The oldest HEAT rounds out there for it still have over double the penetration needed to punch through nearly any part of the side or rear of the T-90 and could probably do the same to (at least) the turret bustle of a Leopard or Abrams.

Thus coming back to my original point:

Smiling Jack posted:

If shooting at a competent enemy expect to get hosed up by infantry / another MBT / etc while preparing your second shot

The best way to disable a modern tank is by destroying it, not futzing around with specialty rounds to destroy sensors. The original poster was asking about using a carl Gustav with hypothetical blinding rounds and then destroying the target with follow up shots.

If you're trying to do this with a CG at the 400-600m engagement range you're going to get hosed up.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cyrano4747 posted:

Assuming that nuclear winter didn't get us all, one of the interesting byproducts of a cold war exchange would probably be turning the equatorial nations that are currently dumpster fires into the new major powers.

This is the plot to the Heinlein novel Farnham's Freehold. Africans basically inherit the earth after all the white people nuke themselves out of existence.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

Thus coming back to my original point:

The best way to disable a modern tank is by destroying it, not futzing around with specialty rounds to destroy sensors. The original poster was asking about using a carl Gustav with hypothetical blinding rounds and then destroying the target with follow up shots.

If you're trying to do this with a CG at the 400-600m engagement range you're going to get hosed up.

I never said attempting to blind a tank or firing at it multiple times was a good idea. I said that modern man-portable anti-tank weapons are actually pretty deadly because even if they can't punch a hole in the front of the best MBTs out there they can absolutely skullfuck any one of them from the sides and rear.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

Squalid posted:

Has anyone seen any nuclear war plans put out by countries that didn't expect to be directly involved in a missile exchange? I know the Swiss built a lot of bunkers but what was their plan to deal with the economic fall out? How did the Australian government plan to handle all their biggest trade partners incinerating their export/import facilities? Did Mexico have a plan to seal the northern border against south bound refugees?

Austria was a neutral country jammed right between East and West. In the event of WWIII Austria's foremost concerns were to be used as a "shortcut" by NATO or Warsaw Pact troops, like Belgium was in first two world wars. By ignoring Austria's neutrality, NATO could have shortened their support lines between Italy and Germany and attack Hungary, and Warsaw Pact forces could have fallen into Southern Germany, supporting the flanks of the CSSR front.

Of course tiny Austria could never hope to hold off a full-on superpower determined to march through, so the plan was to
1) Line the supposed marching routes with bunkers and defensive forces using both conventional and guerilla tactics to dissuade potential enemies by making their troop movements costly and
2) To have a hardened, heavily defended central base ("Basisraum") in the middle of the alps that also happens to be in an strategically unimportant area for the NATO/Warsaw Pact forces.

The main purpose of the Basisraum was to ensure continuity of Austrian government to be able to discuss the after-war order of Europe (:lol:) as an independent political entity, probably by posing as an eagle really hurt about ignored neutrality.

That's the government plans that were released a few years back and describe several scenarios of conventional war. For a full-on nuclear exchange, central sites were radiation hardened, and Austria of course had an extensive program of civilian defense preparations and strategic reserves. It's quite possible that I've missed plans regarding the post-war situation, but actually I heavily suspect that they suggest improvisation right there.

Default Settings fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 18, 2017

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Pilots sharing stories about dodging SAM's from the 1st Gulf War https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkWKMAzy2bM

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Wingnut Ninja posted:

This is the plot to the Heinlein novel Farnham's Freehold. Africans basically inherit the earth after all the white people nuke themselves out of existence.

A plot that Heinlein was essentially commissioned to write by legendary editor and notable bigot JosephJohn W. Campbell. Heinlein actually toned down the racism.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 18, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
And in Y: The Last Man, where every male on the planet save a handful die almost instantaneously, suddenly Israel and Australia are the most powerful nations on earth because one has the most trained female soldiers, and the other rules the seas because they've had female sailors and submariners for a long time. Whereas in the US, you've got the wives of Republican senators storming the White House to try and forcibly take over their husband's seats, and wives of white supremacists cutting the country in half McVeigh Gambit-style. Oh, and an insane super-liberal chess player who brainwashes women into becoming her own personal Amazonian army.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Kesper North posted:

Joseph W. Campbell

P. sure that was John, not Joseph.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sperglord Actual posted:

P. sure that was John, not Joseph.

Herp derp, thank you, yes.

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010
More new helo-chopter video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HncZgouxt9k

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Nuts to haters who don't think it looks sexy.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Back Hack posted:

I guess it's sexy if you think a flying Eggplant is sexy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
220kph*!

* when no weapons are loaded

Cruises at 10,000 feet at 95F*!

* and dies to even a 70s-vintage SA-7 fired by a goatherder with one eye that has a cataract

-----

Come to think of it, that's a really hosed up statistic. I've been at 10k on a mountain - it can be 100F+ at sea level, but it's gonna be in the 40s-50s up there.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 18, 2017

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

220kph*!

* when no weapons are loaded

Isn't that speed earmarked for when it's fully loaded with weapons and passengers, I read it can get up to nearly 300 mph when unarmed.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Well the alternative to the raider is the loving V-280 and I'll take Lockmarts crazy claims any day of the week to not get a halfassed tiltrotor that looks like poo poo.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Mazz posted:

Well the alternative to the raider is the loving V-280 and I'll take Lockmarts crazy claims any day of the week to not get a halfassed tiltrotor that looks like poo poo.

Why? The performance advantage of a tiltrotor is enormous. The V-22 is expensive, yes, but delivers on speed and range.

It doesn't look halfassed, and the point of the aircraft isn't to look cool in a video game.

quote:

Come to think of it, that's a really hosed up statistic. I've been at 10k on a mountain - it can be 100F+ at sea level, but it's gonna be in the 40s-50s up there.

There are places that get extremely hot at high altitude (some cities in the Andes and in Africa), and you're not going to be cruising much higher than that in an unpressurized aircraft.

edit: point in the V-280's favor, no wing folding mechanism like in the V-22 which is a huge source of complexity

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 19, 2017

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Back Hack posted:

Looks alone are going to kill this thing. It does not look tough enough to get past the Pentagon. Cf. the X-32.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The X-32 lost because the X-35 was able to transition into supersonic flight without modifications on the ground and the X-32 couldn't.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

The X-32 lost because the X-35 was able to transition into supersonic flight without modifications on the ground and the X-32 couldn't.

They totally had a plan for it though!

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

BIG HEADLINE posted:

* and dies to even a 70s-vintage SA-7 fired by a goatherder with one eye that has a cataract

Not sure where you're coming up with that one.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I don't see why the Osprey would be any more vulnerable to anti-air than a regular helicopter, or say a C-130.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
any SAGE enthusiasts in the house?

specifically, enthusiasts who can tell me more about GATR and why what I presume is an antenna for an AN/FRT-49 has this weird ring arrangement with small patch antennas or whatever those are on it (??)

i walked all the way around the top of a mountain to get these photos

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

bonus pic

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

My wild-assed-guess would be that its capable out outputting directionally-unique signals, sort-of like a VOR or TACAN.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I think so, too, but those look way too small for directional antenna elements for the frequencies I thought that used.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Mortabis posted:

What?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Mortabis posted:

It doesn't look halfassed, and the point of the aircraft isn't to look cool in a video game.
I think you will find that the US Military is at least 50% about looking cool in a video game.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I guess it's sexy if you think a flying Eggplant is sexy.

Its got a similar look to the Ka-50/52, minus the sensors and armaments. A bit less boxy.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 19, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

They had to change out or take off a part of the intake or something like that. It wasn't able to take off vertically, and then fly supersonic. It could only do one, then reconfigure, then the other.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hubis posted:

Yes but how much do they weigh relative to a 6ft tall man. USA Today readers demand to know!

This is my favorite scale ever.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

tangy yet delightful posted:

I think you will find that the US Military is at least 50% about looking cool in a video game.

Also known as the Ace Combat method of determining combat effectiveness.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Warbadger posted:

I never said attempting to blind a tank or firing at it multiple times was a good idea. I said that modern man-portable anti-tank weapons are actually pretty deadly because even if they can't punch a hole in the front of the best MBTs out there they can absolutely skullfuck any one of them from the sides and rear.

getting the side shot is the hard part.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

atomicthumbs posted:

any SAGE enthusiasts in the house?

specifically, enthusiasts who can tell me more about GATR and why what I presume is an antenna for an AN/FRT-49 has this weird ring arrangement with small patch antennas or whatever those are on it (??)

i walked all the way around the top of a mountain to get these photos

It looks like maybe a direction finding array, but I don't really know anything about this system. If it's only direction finding they wouldn't need much bandwidth and could be smaller and so for a lower frequency than if they were transmit/receive. I can't really tell how big those panels are, but I'd guess quarter wave is plenty and maybe they could be really compact in panel format.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Godholio posted:

This is my favorite scale ever.

just to make the reference explicit...

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

bewbies posted:

They had to change out or take off a part of the intake or something like that. It wasn't able to take off vertically, and then fly supersonic. It could only do one, then reconfigure, then the other.

Oh, I assumed that was hyperbole for comedic effect...

That seems like such a spectacular oversight for a next gen fighter, how did that make it through any of the design stages? I know the Russians had adjustable nose cones 40 years ago for supersonic flight and I'm sure we have the tech.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Boeing was waiting for the government to say "you know what VTOL is loving stupid gently caress the Marines take that out" but it never happened.

Real answer: no idea

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

glynnenstein posted:

It looks like maybe a direction finding array, but I don't really know anything about this system. If it's only direction finding they wouldn't need much bandwidth and could be smaller and so for a lower frequency than if they were transmit/receive. I can't really tell how big those panels are, but I'd guess quarter wave is plenty and maybe they could be really compact in panel format.

i'm gonna go back there and climb the tower and figure this poo poo out

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Smiling Jack posted:

Boeing was waiting for the government to say "you know what VTOL is loving stupid gently caress the Marines take that out" but it never happened.

Real answer: no idea

iirc (it's been a long time since I've seen that Nova episode) Boeing had designed the aircraft around the idea that the wing was going to be a single piece of carbon fiber from wingtip to wingtip. But they couldn't pull it off in time for the flyoff, so they had to strip a bunch of poo poo off the aircraft to get it to take off vertically, and I believe taking those bits off made it so the aircraft couldn't break the speed of sound.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Q_res posted:

iirc (it's been a long time since I've seen that Nova episode) Boeing had designed the aircraft around the idea that the wing was going to be a single piece of carbon fiber from wingtip to wingtip. But they couldn't pull it off in time for the flyoff, so they had to strip a bunch of poo poo off the aircraft to get it to take off vertically, and I believe taking those bits off made it so the aircraft couldn't break the speed of sound.

Ok that would make a lot more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

ought ten posted:

Looks alone are going to kill this thing. It does not look tough enough to get past the Pentagon. Cf. the X-32.

It's going to be replacing the Little Bird helicopter, the dual rotor system and increased speed/acceleration pretty much guarantee it's going to be a hell of a lot more survivable than it.

E: gently caress you typos

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 19, 2017