Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I was going to say "We'll always have Hitman and Hellblazer" but I'm pretty sure all of Ennis' work contains at least one (1) fat dude crushing someone else to death. Still doesn't stop a bunch of it from being good until the Boys broke his brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tato posted:

No, but Garth Ennis DID write the Marvel Knights Punisher storyline where a kid's obese mom falls on top of him and dies, forcing him to eventually eat his way through her decaying giant body. He then develops an intense fetish for it and starts murdering homeless folk in the subway so he can build a giant mountain of dead bodies to dig inside of.

Possibly the most Garth Ennis thing I have ever heard.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's as defining as that Mark Millar story about the detonating incest womb.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

goddammit millae

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tato posted:

No, but Garth Ennis DID write the Marvel Knights Punisher storyline where a kid's obese mom falls on top of him and dies, forcing him to eventually eat his way through her decaying giant body. He then develops an intense fetish for it and starts murdering homeless folk in the subway so he can build a giant mountain of dead bodies to dig inside of.

I don't know what else to say besides "Garth Ennis"

I would have assumed this was a parody of Garth Ennis except you provided proof.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Let's get mystical.

Day 53: The Vishanti

Hoggoth, Oshtur, and Agamotto. If you've read anything with Doctor Strange you've at the very least heard him invoke the names of these guys possibly as a group or individually. Oshtur was an ancient God, Hoggoth was an alien, and Agamotto was the child of Oshtur and the first Sorcerer Supreme of Earth.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Since we're talking Vishanti, you should check out Cat Yronwode's super-duper exhaustive "companion to the Dr. Strange comic books." I know she's sort of a divisive figure in comics fandom, but this is extremely cool.

http://www.luckymojo.com/vishanti.html

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What's the divisive part?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I'm gonna assume it's because she's a woman

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Cat Yronwode is a harmless hippie who hasn't been particularly relevant for, what, twenty years? I think we're past the point where she could be considered "divisive."

The true-crime trading cards were in pretty bad taste, though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 54: Tigra

For a long time she was a fixture among The Avengers. And then she just kind of disappeared. I struggle to think of another longtime Avenger like her that just straight up disappeared from comics. Even Wonder Man and Black Knight show up every now and then. Tigra's just pretty much off the radar. I also don't think there's really anyone shedding tears over that as I don't think I've ever heard of a Tigra fan.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I always thought Tigra was originally an actual cat. I have no idea why.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tigra is pretty bad. She's always been an excuse for horny artists and writers to insert dumb sexual fantasies into comics. I think the only time she was kind of interesting was that time she defeated Molecule Man by realizing he's just a big dumb baby.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Tigra was also on the staff of Avengers Academy and, at the time, had some vague thing going on with Hank Pym. She wasn't very good in the book but at least she wasn't any more crazily sexualized than usual.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I think that's the book where somebody tries to call her out on wearing a bikini and she snaps back "I'm covered in fur and it's like 90 degrees outside!"

Although according to this, she can just choose to not be covered in fur. That's Tigra for ya, I guess.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I'm not 100% sure but I think she no longer has the ability to switch back to her human form.

Tigra is just... weird. Like, every story centered on her becomes a giant clusterfuck.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I've never known she had a human form. Just figured she was transformed permanently at some point, like Beast.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I actually can't find any info to her losing the ability to transform now that I've gone looking for a few minutes; maybe I just imagined that.

That said, anyone who's origins include the phrase "Unbeknownst to her her mentor was actually a member of the Cat People, a race of humanoids descended from cats" is just plain hosed up, man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tigra just doesn't have like... a plot. She's a masturbatory fantasy with little else to her. Say what you want about She-Hulk but between her meta elements and her lawyer stuff she has a whole shitload of things to write about that aren't Hot Green Woman but nobody has ever given Tigra the time beyond the faintest lamest attempts.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
People who want catgirls are not going to read avengers, they have animes to watch, best not to compete there.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ImpAtom posted:

Tigra just doesn't have like... a plot. She's a masturbatory fantasy with little else to her. Say what you want about She-Hulk but between her meta elements and her lawyer stuff she has a whole shitload of things to write about that aren't Hot Green Woman but nobody has ever given Tigra the time beyond the faintest lamest attempts.

It's something you can place firmly at the feet of John Byrne, which surprises no one. One of the things he started loving up, around the same time he was retconning everything about the Vision, was having Tigra regress into a catlike state, complete with her going into heat (IIRC), which subsequently ruined her utility as a character for the better part of 20 years.

Tigra used to be a cop and spent a lot of time working as a private investigator under the same roof as Jessica Drew and Lindsey McCabe (and Lindsey's another character who's been in limbo for a while). She's got some pretty serious investigation chops even before you bring her powers into account. I believe that played into Avengers Academy to some extent.

If you did something like stole her outfit from the Marvel Adventures line (which was a one-piece) and set her up as a superhero/bounty hunter/private eye, you could get some pretty good comics out of her. They'd sell like a case of the clap, of course, but with the right creative team, it'd be well worth reading.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
There was also that really unpleasant Bendis story in New Avengers with the Hood viciously beating and brutalizing Tigra and videotaping it, to show off to the other supervillains in his employ. I think he even came back to beat the poo poo out of her a second time, and threatened her mother, too. She was reduced to tears, on the floor, begging and pleading for her life, and the whole thing had a really nasty, rapey tone to it. I know it was supposed to showcase the Hood as a legitimate threat, but it didn't seem like the Bendis I had come to really enjoy at that point.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its the dumb bendis everyone else is referring to when they go "Goddammit Bendis."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm pretty sure Bendis also had Jarvis call her a oval office, so he might have some issues with the character.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I googled "Bendis Tigra" and the first result was a comicvine thread titled "Should Tigra Get a Restraining Order Against Bendis?"

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

She also got torn in half in the Last Avengers Story

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she had sex with skrull pym and had his child. in hindsight, you could tell it was a skrull because it was a comparatively normal and healthy relationship which would be completely out of character for the real hank pym.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't remember the having a child part.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I don't remember the having a child part.

if i recall correctly immediately after she had the skrull baby she hosed off to the subterranean cat people city and has yet to reappear.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if i recall correctly immediately after she had the skrull baby she hosed off to the subterranean cat people city and has yet to reappear.

Nah, she showed up in Avengers Academy, baby in tow. Real Hank Pym ran tests and was like "huh, no Skrull DNA, those super skrulls that were impersonating human superheroes must have been something, huh" and then she asked him to look after the kid if anything happened to her since, you know, it was sort of his kid except not in a way that only comic books can be, and IIRC then she hosed off to the Cat People's city.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I feel like she actually got along with Hank in avengers academy, and it was actually vaguely healthy, but maybe I hallucinated that. Avengers Academy sure did go to poo poo and I forget what...

gently caress I just remembered what they did with those characters fuuuuuuck

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's this brief period in the early 80s (the one with the Molecule Man story which was pretty good) where the Avengers team is Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Yellowjacket, the Wasp... and Tigra. I think that's an odd line-up; it's basically the original team plus one.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Is it Tie-gra or Tee-gra ?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's this brief period in the early 80s (the one with the Molecule Man story which was pretty good) where the Avengers team is Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Yellowjacket, the Wasp... and Tigra. I think that's an odd line-up; it's basically the original team plus one.

On the other hand, it's basically her whole deal summed up: Tigra has always been a warm body to fill out a team roster. She is one quantifiable unit of superhero.

Doesn't seem like a high bar, but it keeps her coming back every now and then.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Strontosaurus posted:

Is it Tie-gra or Tee-gra ?

It's T'gra. Emphasis on the Gra, like if you took Tim McGraw and got rid of all the middle syllables.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

gently caress I just remembered what they did with those characters fuuuuuuck

Trying to cash in on that Hunger Games $$$$$$

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 55: Sabra

Oh boy. I almost dread posting this one as I'm sure there's something terrible in the history of the character or her backstory/creation because how could there not be because the world is a terrible place. I don't know much about her other than that I'm pretty sure she's been swept under the rug as I've not see her around for a long time.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

X-O posted:

I'm pretty sure she's been swept under the rug her cape as I've not see her around for a long time.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I want to see the David Dees cartoon about the "secret Israeli gravity-polarization device."

e: for reference on the level of crazy I'm talking about, conveniently also blaming gravity on the Freemasons (???):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dang, she hasn't even shown up in enough issues to warrant a proper entry for known allies and major enemies. Does Hulk not count?

"So Sabra, who do you know in the biz? Who do you team up with? Oh, who's your arch-nemesis!"
"I work with Mossad and I fight terrorists."
"Ew Sabra, that's just your job."

• Locked thread