Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Caros posted:

Not especially, to be honest.

In a theoretical trial, Chuck's mental illness is going to come up and it is so blatantly psychosomatic (and could be proven as such by experts) that Jimmy will be able to make a very, very convincing case that he made the whole thing up in an attempt to unfuck a mentally disturbed individual. Sadly most people hear 'mental illness' and think full blown lunatic so Chuck's credibility is out the window. While Jimmy could be in trouble for B&E, lets be honest. He is a white lawyer, the victim was his estranged family. He'd see a suspended sentence with community service if Chuck is lucky.

Frankly his behavior actually helps him in some ways. If he'd snuck in to steal it, he'd be hosed. But this was a man pissed off that his brother conned him, and used an electrical device in the process. People would be more sympathetic to Jimmy than to chuck.

Petty with a prior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Maybe they can add some zombies.

Maybe caused by a bad batch of meth. I'd support this only if Chuck gets eaten.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Javid posted:

Not a lawyer, just spitballing:

"Destruction of Evidence" is only a crime if something is actually Evidence, ie there's a legal proceeding in progress that it's relevant to. Without a suit or charges filed, he may have destroyed evidence but he didn't Destroy Evidence.

Strictly speaking, in the course of that scene, he could be guilty of breaking & entering, menacing, destruction of property, etc.. But with the small amounts of value involved and it being product of a family feud instigated by a person with serious documented mental issues, it's not likely to get any traction, especially if he were to offer to pay for repairs to the door and desk plus some amount. Chuck could sue civilly for the damage, with the same results.

If that was the actual tape and he successfully destroyed it (which he didn't on screen, but maybe ~tv rules~ mean broken tape = unrecoverable) who's heard it who can testify to what it contained? At that point it's the word of a mentally unstable guy, a business partner who said unstable guy has enormous leverage over (both of whom profit significantly based on the tape being what they say it is), and a random PI they're paying, vs. the crazy guy's brother who cared for him for 18 months until a recent falling-out based on said mentally ill brother actively loving him out of a legitimate career.

If the real tape is safe elsewhere, it can be attacked and excluded for the reasons discussed on the show, and the same results follow.

All Jimmy has to do is call Hamlin up as a witness and get Chuck's scheming on record - Hamlin doesn't seem like the kind of dude who's going to straight up lie under oath. No matter how justified Chuck tries to make it, he blocked his own brother from a job at his own firm, and forced his business partner to take the heat instead of him.

He can also call up the doctor at the hospital and get "EMF sensitivity doesn't exist and is a mental condition" in front of the jury, along with the temporary custody order they got, and any credibility Chuck has goes *frrrrrrt*

End result: No legal consequences against Jimmy or Kim. I doubt they can fire Ernesto for doing what they actively manipulated him into doing, either.

BUT

that shitshow of a trial is a ton of negative publicity for both of them. Mesa Verde might drop Kim over it if it's made public but HHM isn't getting them back. They're gonna get the gently caress away from the drama if anything. We already know Chuck is totally okay with hurting Jimmy by hurting Kim, so that's still a win. And maybe it's what pushes him to start practicing under another name.

However, the first five minutes of the next episode might blow all that out the window, and that's not a bad thing!

Petty with a prior.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I thought it was good, but I watched it with the sound off during an appointment at the optometrist.

Does anyone else find the constant Los Pollos Hermanos product placement just a little excessive??

Caros
May 14, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

Petty with a prior.

:golfclap:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I made myself some pimento cheese and snacked on it this episode (with cream cheese, mike is a Philadelphian).
Next week I'll make a Chilean inspired fried chicken with mayo and avocado.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So good episode, was great to see Gus, gently caress Chuck (no wait Chuck rules gently caress you), etc.

But what's the whole deal with the tracker? Not in the durr I don't understand what happened sense. But why the hell did they have such a huge covert handover process to deliver the dead tracker to Gus personally, when the henchmen could've just swap the battery and put it in a storage box for the next time. This whole thing seemed completely unnecessary unless... Gus set it all up as a test for Mike?! :tinfoil:

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
Man, having to wait a week for the next episode is the worst part of this show

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Trollipop posted:

Man, having to wait a week for the next episode is the worst part of this show

Actually having to wait like 12 months for the new season to start was the worst part.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Javid posted:

Not a lawyer, just spitballing:

"Destruction of Evidence" is only a crime if something is actually Evidence, ie there's a legal proceeding in progress that it's relevant to. Without a suit or charges filed, he may have destroyed evidence but he didn't Destroy Evidence.

Strictly speaking, in the course of that scene, he could be guilty of breaking & entering, menacing, destruction of property, etc.. But with the small amounts of value involved and it being product of a family feud instigated by a person with serious documented mental issues, it's not likely to get any traction, especially if he were to offer to pay for repairs to the door and desk plus some amount. Chuck could sue civilly for the damage, with the same results.

If that was the actual tape and he successfully destroyed it (which he didn't on screen, but maybe ~tv rules~ mean broken tape = unrecoverable) who's heard it who can testify to what it contained? At that point it's the word of a mentally unstable guy, a business partner who said unstable guy has enormous leverage over (both of whom profit significantly based on the tape being what they say it is), and a random PI they're paying, vs. the crazy guy's brother who cared for him for 18 months until a recent falling-out based on said mentally ill brother actively loving him out of a legitimate career.

If the real tape is safe elsewhere, it can be attacked and excluded for the reasons discussed on the show, and the same results follow.

All Jimmy has to do is call Hamlin up as a witness and get Chuck's scheming on record - Hamlin doesn't seem like the kind of dude who's going to straight up lie under oath. No matter how justified Chuck tries to make it, he blocked his own brother from a job at his own firm, and forced his business partner to take the heat instead of him.

He can also call up the doctor at the hospital and get "EMF sensitivity doesn't exist and is a mental condition" in front of the jury, along with the temporary custody order they got, and any credibility Chuck has goes *frrrrrrt*

End result: No legal consequences against Jimmy or Kim. I doubt they can fire Ernesto for doing what they actively manipulated him into doing, either.

BUT

that shitshow of a trial is a ton of negative publicity for both of them. Mesa Verde might drop Kim over it if it's made public but HHM isn't getting them back. They're gonna get the gently caress away from the drama if anything. We already know Chuck is totally okay with hurting Jimmy by hurting Kim, so that's still a win. And maybe it's what pushes him to start practicing under another name.

However, the first five minutes of the next episode might blow all that out the window, and that's not a bad thing!

Not to mention how it would bring Chuck's mental illness to light for the public (mesa verde had no idea), show what kind of partner is connected with HHM, and just drag HHM through the mud. The PI was witness to more than just Jimmy.

I thought Kim is her own separate thing? They didn't do the partner thing. They just share the same office now.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 19, 2017

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

So good episode, was great to see Gus, gently caress Chuck (no wait Chuck rules gently caress you), etc.

But what's the whole deal with the tracker? Not in the durr I don't understand what happened sense. But why the hell did they have such a huge covert handover process to deliver the dead tracker to Gus personally, when the henchmen could've just swap the battery and put it in a storage box for the next time. This whole thing seemed completely unnecessary unless... Gus set it all up as a test for Mike?! :tinfoil:

I took it as the handover happening in the course of collecting the dead drops.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

mobby_6kl posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a quasi-test. Gus had to know Mike would try to figure out who left the notice on his car and caused the horn to honk. He may not have intended it to be a test, but by the end I think he was clearly challenging Mike by leaving the tracker out on the road with a burner phone.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Maybe they can add some zombies.

Maybe they should find a better use of screen time than 20 minutes of Mike driving around looking through binoculars. And Kim deciding where to put a semicolon.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Gus put a tracker in Jimmy's coffee so he could track Jimmy spying on the bag man in the restaurant. I mean, that's obvious. But how did he place another tracker in that water cup Mike had????

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I think going in two episodes from "the recording was just made" to "Jimmy found out and played right into Chuck's hands" is a lot of progress.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Ok but what if Gus put a poo poo ton of nano-machine trackers in all his meth, so he can track every person who has every taken some via their blood?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

They do a really good job with making people look younger on this show.

Well, as good as can be done.

Odenkirk and Banks still look pretty noticeably older than they did on Breaking Bad (especially Banks). Which is of course forgivable, given that they.....are.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I wanted Gus to be like dude your watch is clearly not broken

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

mobby_6kl posted:

The previous morning, Mike had tracked his tracker to Pollos. He watched as his tracker stayed within the restaurant after the guy that dropped it off left. Mike figured this guy must be a delivery guy or sorts and sent Jimmy in the next morning to see what else he was dropping off and to who.

some guy on the bus posted:

Maybe they should find a better use of screen time than 20 minutes of Mike driving around looking through binoculars. And Kim deciding where to put a semicolon.

After numerous episodes of this, it was getting a little annoying, but they are probably finished for a while, and I will say that as far as making these scenes feel real, the length they spend on them is pretty much perfect.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Honestly I don't mind the long-drawn out scenes because now only two episodes in we're getting to the real chicken meat of everything.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Man at this point I just don't see how they're gonna get to Saul Goodman. They've made Jimmy too human.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Man at this point I just don't see how they're gonna get to Saul Goodman. They've made Jimmy too human.

He frames kim/chuck for something and he/she gets locked up and chuck/kim dies and somehow or another the writers make it all make sense

book it

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I mean, from a literal path of plot point A to plot point B there's plenty of believable paths they could take.

But from a character development standpoint they're almost painting themselves into a corner where the barrier to transform Jimmy into Saul is becoming insurmountable. Like, watch this scene from his first episode in Breaking Bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTfyuKy5G0c

Remember at the end of season 1, when Jimmy says to Mike that he knows what was keeping him from taking the Kettleman's money and running, and he wasn't going to let it stop him anymore? That was a point where it felt natural and believable that Jimmy could make the leap into what we see here. With what we've seen of how invested Jimmy is in his relationships with Kim and Chuck, and how much he's about to lose, it's much harder to see him being happy as Saul. We know he is, and I don't doubt the writers' abilities to get us there, but drat, it's starting to shape up to be a herculean effort.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I mean, from a literal path of plot point A to plot point B there's plenty of believable paths they could take.

But from a character development standpoint they're almost painting themselves into a corner where the barrier to transform Jimmy into Saul is becoming insurmountable. Like, watch this scene from his first episode in Breaking Bad:

Remember at the end of season 1, when Jimmy says to Mike that he knows what was keeping him from taking the Kettleman's money and running, and he wasn't going to let it stop him anymore? That was a point where it felt natural and believable that Jimmy could make the leap into what we see here. With what we've seen of how invested Jimmy is in his relationships with Kim and Chuck, and how much he's about to lose, it's much harder to see him being happy as Saul. We know he is, and I don't doubt the writers' abilities to get us there, but drat, it's starting to shape up to be a herculean effort.

Nah it'll be fine

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'd be fine if they pretend BB didn't exist

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Being betrayed by your only surviving family member and the inevitable loss of Kim would be enough for a person to never want to rely on anyone else again.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Saul himself was actually a fairly human character. Remember, as just a few examples:
  • He hides Jesse from Gus and Mike at the risk of his own life, seemingly only because he feels a moral obligation as a lawyer to protect his client
  • He gives Jesse a pretty heartfelt talk counseling him about his relationship with Andrea in "Hermanos"
  • He appears genuinely upset about unwittingly having helped Walt poison a child
There are some inconsistencies with this aspect of Saul, especially in his earlier episodes, but as his character grew more settled there came to be a definite, periodic element of subversion of the "sleazy lawyer" archetype that he represented. It was kind of inevitable, really. Saul was just too funny to not be given some underlying humanity--not to mention how effective a tool it was at highlighting just how utterly callous and inhuman Walt had become in comparison to everyone around him. Even Walt's ambulance-chasing strip mall consigliere is morally horrified at him.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
3.19 for a meal combo AND a coffee? gently caress the 90s

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Venuz Patrol posted:

Even then that's pretty cheap for an above average chicken meal. It's almost like the owner is making a profit from a side business :v:

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
I think it was just a piece of chicken and a coffee, a winning combo

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Venuz Patrol posted:

When I heard the price, I thought that Saul hosed up because he should have ordered a lot more in case he has to have a reason to sit there longer instead of nursing one piece of chicken.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Fried Chicken for breakfast. I am repulsed by this.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Place had a breakfast menu yo.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Manic X posted:

Fried Chicken for breakfast. I am repulsed by this.

What the gently caress man have you never had chicken and waffles? God tier breakfast food.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

What the gently caress man have you never had chicken and waffles? God tier breakfast food.

My mom randomly brings up that she doesn't understand chicken and waffles. I don't know why, no one ever talks about it. But several times over the past few months she just says she doesn't understand chicken and waffles.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

It sure seems to me that by taking the two most important people out of his life, that could be enough

It's pretty clear that Chuck is either going to be dead or Jimmy will be totally done with him by the end of the show, and Kim will probably be done with him because of his inability to not break the law. She's eventually going to go off and do her own thing.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

lotus circle posted:

Personally I want this show to end on Jimmy changing his name to Saul Goodman. We don't need to see the early Saul years when we already know what that was like. Let it end on the beginning of Jimmy's new life.

Basically the closer we get to Saul's inception, the closer we get to the series ending.

I'm fine with this as long as they immediately change the name of the show to [Breaking Bad Prequel] and then continue production right where they left off.

When this show first started I was hesitant about the idea of seeing anymore of the Breaking Bad universe because that show was such self-contained perfection that I didn't want it to be sullied by adding needless backstory to already perfect characters. I also wasn't even sure the writers were up to it. But after three seasons they've done a pretty drat great job, much better than I ever thought they would. Now the show is clearly growing beyond Saul's personal story and even though I was originally very apprehensive about the idea I'm currently very much looking forward to it becoming more and more of a Breaking Bad prequel.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

No; I like my heart in-tact.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Venuz Patrol posted:

Sausage Biscuit with Egg - Meal $3.99 at Mcdonalds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

My mom randomly brings up that she doesn't understand chicken and waffles. I don't know why, no one ever talks about it. But several times over the past few months she just says she doesn't understand chicken and waffles.

Have her dunk some fried chicken into a little bit of syrup. At least then she'll understand chicken and waffles even if she doesn't like it.

• Locked thread