Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

How did you swing a night on the set of Candyman 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
My friends are ramping up to try and rent out their condo, so they're doing repairs and improvement both major and minor. One of the things they wanted to do was replace the noisy bathroom fan. So they unscrew everything and pull it down and behind it is.... nothing. No vent. Just a big hole in the ceiling the builder shoved the fan into.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

YamiNoSenshi posted:

...condo...No vent.

Okay thread, let's take a survey, raise your hand if you're at all surprised.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I guess it's a little surprising that it doesn't just vent into the upstairs neighbors unit?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Their floor registers undoubtedly source warm air from the same cavity.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Slugworth posted:

I guess it's a little surprising that it doesn't just vent into the upstairs neighbors unit?

They're on the top floor, for whatever that matters.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So it vents into the attic space?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bad Munki posted:

So it vents into the attic space?

That's pretty common in my area (NoVA). I'm told it isn't a problem, which seems really strange to me.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Nothing wrong with blowing a bunch of warm humidity into a closed space?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

That's pretty common in my area (NoVA). I'm told it isn't a problem, which seems really strange to me.

It is definitely a problem, probably against code, and incredibly common.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Looking forward to whatever critters sneak into the attic using that fan opening to get into your home

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah the thing that gets me the most is, if it's venting right into the attic, the work of routing to a roof vent is, like, ZERO, just fuckin' do it! I could see some bad planning/execution leading to an improper install on a non-top-level since it'd have to vent out the side of the building, but come on, the roof is right there.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

there wolf posted:

The tile-looks like kind of a cool abstract thing in thumbnail.

And then you click on it and realize that, now that the requisite blood sacrifices have been made, the portal is opening.

I stayed at an Airbnb once that had no lights in the master bedroom (not even a loving lamp, because there wasn't even a loving nightstand), and also had one of those white wire racks hanging over the bathroom door. Woke up in the middle of the night and stumbled right into the drat thing, slicing open the bridge of my nose in the process.

Now I'm starting to wonder if that wasn't some strategy for initiating a blood sacrifice. Maybe that's how they plan to fix the lighting.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah the thing that gets me the most is, if it's venting right into the attic, the work of routing to a roof vent is, like, ZERO, just fuckin' do it! I could see some bad planning/execution leading to an improper install on a non-top-level since it'd have to vent out the side of the building, but come on, the roof is right there.

That's my house. I've since unhooked the switch for the fan until I replace the roof (well, re-shingle, but you know what I mean) since gently caress trying to do anything with my brittle-assed shingles.
Also I loving hate the lazy pricks who built the place using (legitimately) quality materials and absolutely lovely construction.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

Cutting holes in your roof can be scary.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Crossposting from Atlanta, future home of post-apocalyptic chic.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

So basically now you just need to lose I-75 and no one will be able to leave or enter the city at all. Have you guys checked for any supervillains?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
All those man‐hours wasted in detours, but deferred maintenance is sound fiscal policy. :thumbsup:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ashcans posted:

So basically now you just need to lose I-75 and no one will be able to leave or enter the city at all. Have you guys checked for any supervillains?

I count four interstate highways that are still intact.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

evobatman posted:

Nothing wrong with blowing a bunch of warm humidity into a closed space?

I'm sure there's soffit or gable vents :iamafag:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

I count four interstate highways that are still intact.

I dunno, lose another highway and you might have a traffic jam of Chinese proportions. People sleeping in their cars for weeks on end, vendors with hand carts trucking out food and water...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I dunno, lose another highway and you might have a traffic jam of Chinese proportions. People sleeping in their cars for weeks on end, vendors with hand carts trucking out food and water...

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
And Buford Highway is down with a bridge fire. My facebook is going to be 90% Sherman jokes for another loving week.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

FCKGW posted:

The walls are too porous and flaky for the strips to get a good grip.

Wash, rinse, bonding primer, something cheap and semi-gloss?

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

:science:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Haha it's overshooting the OH JESUS

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Not gonna lie, I noticed the carpet before the outlet. that is a marble floor. :downs:

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 19, 2017

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Maybe a bit more :byoscience:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ehh, fresh water isn't a very good conductor.

Now, if it was full of Brawndo (the Thirst Mutilator) - It's got Electrolytes! - that would be pretty scary.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Leperflesh posted:

ehh, fresh water isn't a very good conductor.

Now, if it was full of Brawndo (the Thirst Mutilator) - It's got Electrolytes! - that would be pretty scary.

I think you're underestimating how hard that water is (look at the salt stains on the ground)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Wasabi the J posted:

I think you're underestimating how hard that water is (look at the salt stains on the ground)

It breaks up into droplets in the air, so it's not a conductive path anyway. Same reason it's generally okay to whiz on the electric fence.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Wasabi the J posted:

It's got what breakers crave.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

HardDiskD posted:

Not gonna lie, I noticed the carpet before the outlet. that is a marble floor. :downs:
What?? Refs, we need a ruling on this. I'm saying it's definitely carpet.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Slugworth posted:

What?? Refs, we need a ruling on this. I'm saying it's definitely carpet.

Yeah if for no other reason than that would be poo poo fixtures and finish work to go with a goddamn marble floor

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I bet you a nickle that's grey 90s office carpet in an LDS chapel.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

peanut posted:

Even odds?

I would take that bet.

For one thing, why is the photographer holding their car keys?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

peanut posted:

"I'll take "Places With lovely Carpet" for $400, Alex"

"What is Aging Suburban Municipal Center"?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Phanatic posted:

It breaks up into droplets in the air, so it's not a conductive path anyway. Same reason it's generally okay to whiz on the electric fence.

I don't think the risk is that its going to shock the fountain or its user, it's that the water is hitting the wall and flowing down the outlet. Isn't there a good chance that getting the wall that wet will close the circuit in the outlet and short the whole thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

peanut posted:

Nah. That's not the standard water fountain they use, and the walls aren't covered in that burlap looking stuff they use.