Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
How is the new rope drop going at MK? Is it an improved experience because you're not all smashed at the wall, and how are the CMs coming in for the intro show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Definitely improved imho. Nice not being bottlenecks at the entrance

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

PurpleButterfly posted:

Sitting in the bleachers, waiting for Rivers of Light and eating a beef and lamb flatbread sandwich from Harambe Market, which is delicious. :) I wanted to catch the early show so I could be there for rope drop at MK in the morning, which I've never done before.

I was there too! First time catching Rivers of Light. Very cool but... seemed kinda short?

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Cais posted:

I was there too! First time catching Rivers of Light. Very cool but... seemed kinda short?

Yeah, maybe it was.

EMH at MK today! Got coffee with almost no line. Now waiting for the 8:00 castle welcome show. I wanted to find out what rope drop was like, but this is cool, too! :)

Edit: Bottom Liner, looks like you don't have PMs. Post here if you want to get Dole Whips later. I have FP+ windows starting at 8:45, 10:10, and 1:55. Besides that, I'm open.

PurpleButterfly fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 18, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Cool, were doing Epcot this morning and MK this evening, getting there around 4pm. I'll post here again then.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kids are loving the Easter egg hunt at EPCOT so we'll be here a while longer. Still doing MK later tonight since they're open till midnight.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Kids are loving the Easter egg hunt at EPCOT so we'll be here a while longer. Still doing MK later tonight since they're open till midnight.

No problem. You planning on watching the fireworks? I'm planning on it. (FYI, how to spot me: Purple jacket (usually tied around my waist), BB-8 mouse ears, bright pink shirt that says "I can’t keep calm, I'm at Disney World!".)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yup we'll be there from about 7 until the kids pass out. I'm wearing running shorts a Mickey tank top and Monsters U hat.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
Perfect! I'll be in Town Square, watching for you to come into the park.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Bottom Liner posted:

I was really enjoying that egg hunt but kids kept ruining it for me by getting excited and shouting and pointing at where the egg was. I wanted to find it myself! :saddowns:

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

mearn posted:

I was really enjoying that egg hunt but kids kept ruining it for me by getting excited and shouting and pointing at where the egg was. I wanted to find it myself! :saddowns:

I've got most of the East side down, but the rare occasion I'm shooting on the West side I'm completely lost. I only know where the UK one is.

I at least try to warn people which ones are indoors to save them some wandering.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Don't they move them frequently or was that only for the hurricane?

PS we have two eggs left to find then hitting the monorail to MK.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Don't they move them frequently or was that only for the hurricane?

PS we have two eggs left to find then hitting the monorail to MK.

Cool. Do you prefer to come in by the east or west train tunnel? I've always been a right-sider (e.g., east) myself.

Edit: I parked myself inside the west entrance, the side with the monorail station. Also, it's parade street party time! :v:

PurpleButterfly fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 19, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Switching monorails now :)

Sorry for the thread spam. Weather is perfect this week and Easter crowds seem to be gone.

Edit: yay mini goonmeet success. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 19, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat might head over tomorrow if it's really not that bad crowd wise

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Switching monorails now :)

Sorry for the thread spam. Weather is perfect this week and Easter crowds seem to be gone.

Edit: yay mini goonmeet success. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Thank you very much! It was a pleasure to get to meet Bottom Liner and TheBigBudgetSequel today. (The latter was at HM in the morning/early afternoon; most likely off shift by now, I would imagine, but I did get to say hello.) Today's mini goonmeets were the coolest parts of my day! :)

Snagged a spot in the artificial turf viewing garden, southwest side of the hub. Perfectly content to sit and people-watch until the fireworks start; I accomplished everything I set out to today, including getting a Dole Whip. :)

PurpleButterfly fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 19, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gonna try hitting Typhoon Lagoon on Sunday. I was going to go this past Sunday, but on Saturday I was at Epcot and then had my first production meeting for my new show at Geyser Point at Wilderness Lodge and didn't get home until midnight.

Speaking of, Geyser Point is awesome. The food is great (crab cake burgers!) and it's on the water's edge, so you can sit on a couch with a view of Discovery Island as the sun sets.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are you in Disney video production? Talk about a dream job.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Not enjoying the Disney app right now. None of my reservations will link in the app and I stumped IT with my issue. Yaay.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Empress Brosephine posted:

Are you in Disney video production? Talk about a dream job.

Unfortunately not. After my old show fell through due to the directors/producers being complete lunatics (they've continued to fire for "disloyalty" or drive away several other people after my fiancee and I left, and I'm pretty sure they won't actually make the big interactive warehouse show they have planned), we elected to create our own project. Two of the people from our former show are along for the ride, and we picked Geyser Point as a quiet and comfortable place to meet and discuss characters, script, music, etc.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh poo poo that's right I remember you mentioning that. What kind of show you guys end up doing? I hope it goes well :3. And yeah that new sectio of Wilderness Losge is ace. And again if you need any help let me know.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

the directors/producers being complete lunatics (they've continued to fire for "disloyalty" or drive away several other people after my fiancee and I left

This goes a bit beyond the purview of this thread, but what review mechanisms are there in place to track this kind of behavior? Surely at some point someone with more authority will wonder why the "disloyalty"/turnover rate is so much higher in this group than in any other. Or is this pretty much par for the course with people at this level in Disney?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Holy cats, guys!

I am suddenly going to London in 12 days which means Disneyland Paris is within my grasp!

I need advice! All the advice! Currently planning on taking the train from London. Is this a bad idea? What foods are good? What are the must rides? PotC and Phantom Manor for sure.

Do they have a Trader Sam's?

I will appreciate any help you can offer. :)

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

I need advice!

I'd look at getting a flight to CDG airport. A quick search is showing flights for between £50-£60 and there's a free magical express type bus from the air port - http://magicalshuttle.co.uk/. I thought that bus used to be free :(

If you do go by train it's not hard to get to either as Disney Paris has a train stop specifically built for the parks "Marne-la-Vallée/Chessy".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grundulum posted:

This goes a bit beyond the purview of this thread, but what review mechanisms are there in place to track this kind of behavior? Surely at some point someone with more authority will wonder why the "disloyalty"/turnover rate is so much higher in this group than in any other. Or is this pretty much par for the course with people at this level in Disney?

I should probably emphasize that I do not work for Disney and I'm not referring to a Disney show. We just used Disney as a comfortable meeting place.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Oh poo poo that's right I remember you mentioning that. What kind of show you guys end up doing? I hope it goes well :3. And yeah that new sectio of Wilderness Losge is ace. And again if you need any help let me know.

I definitely remember your offer! It's an interactive experience like our predecessors (our groups were both inspired by a similar show in Orlando that we enjoyed and one of the actresses from that show is on our development team). I'm not able to reveal a whole lot of information because of how early in development it is, but it's an urban fantasy thing. Here's a thing I made as part of the early promotion.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah sorry about that Disney thing I was tired and got mixed up. Sounding good though I'm excited!!!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed telling people Disney controlled the weather in the parks and that Spaceship Earth really was a giant weather transmogrifier. I was working at Studios at the time at the lounge next to Prime Time as a bartender back when the afternoon rains were predictable and like clockwork. You would get the downpour on schedule and I would tell them don't worry give it about fifteen minutes they need time to communicate back to control, they will fire up the ball at Epcot and the sun will shine again. And it did because #floridaweather.. stunned guests who knew no better.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol. It's fun when you can play with people in that way. Like when I can tell a guest that I'm looking at the castle right now and they get all excited it's cute. Then I pitch them something they don't need like a car salesman. DRC is weird.

Anywho, may 16 and 17 I'll be there at the parks , the 17th we have a exclusive DRC only night at typhoon lagoon that'll be fun.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Hi all, OP here. According to my bookmarks, it's been 1,842 posts since I visited this thread. As much as I enjoyed writing the OP and participating over the years, I just haven't had time to play in many months, and probably won't any time soon. If anyone is up to the task of writing a new OP, contact me via PM. So much info in this one one is now out of date or incomplete, and it's time to hand the reins to someone else. If you need assistance creating images, I can help.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

Beachcomber posted:

Holy cats, guys!

I am suddenly going to London in 12 days which means Disneyland Paris is within my grasp!

I need advice! All the advice! Currently planning on taking the train from London. Is this a bad idea? What foods are good? What are the must rides? PotC and Phantom Manor for sure.

Do they have a Trader Sam's?

I will appreciate any help you can offer. :)

Awesome! Happy to advise. :)

TRAVEL:
I would definitely take the train if you can. There's one direct train from St Pancras International each day, and several more indirect where you have to change at Lille. Both options are super-easy and a lot less stressful than flying, I find. You arrive literally in front of the park gates! You can book both these options direct from eurostar.com. If you're going to be staying in central Paris, you could also just take one of the many services to Paris Gare du Nord and then take RER Line A to the park.

If you do want to fly instead, British Airways, Air France and EasyJet are the biggest three that fly to Charles de Gaulle. From the airport you can take the coach (about €20, 1 hour, frequent departures) or the train (about €30, 10 minutes, infrequent departures). If you arrive very early or late your only option apart from taxi will be the RER into town then back out to the park (about €15, 1 hour 30). I'd personally never fly from London unless the trains are ridiculously expensive though.

FOOD:
No Trader Sam's I'm afraid, and I will admit that the Disney Village is lacklustre compared to what you might be used to in Orlando or Anaheim. The best food and drink options remain in the parks and hotels.

My personal food picks are:
- Bistrot Chez Remy in the Walt Disney Studios Park, next to the Ratatouille attraction. Pretty good traditional French bistro fare in a cute miniaturised setting.
- The Steakhouse in the Disney Village. Steaks are slightly better than the Silver Spur Steakhouse in Disneyland Park, I think - even though both are really good.
- Walt's in Disneyland Park, on Main Street. Lots of Walt Disney memorabilia, rooms include lots of concept art from each of the lands. Not been since the menus recently changed but from what I'm hearing, it's improved a lot.
- Yacht Club in the Newport Bay Club Hotel. Seafood and New England cuisine.
- Inventions in the Disneyland Hotel. All you can eat buffet with a stunning variety of food on offer. Plus a view over Main Street. Plus character interactions, if you're into that!

ATTRACTIONS:
Bad news, I'm afraid. Pirates is down for major refurbishment for a few more months. We're pretty much guaranteed Captain Jack animatronics and rumours are saying we're also getting a couple of the new Shanghai effects...

Phantom Manor is definitely up and worth your time though! Big Thunder Mountain has also just been refurbished and is widely regarded as the best version. Hyperspace Mountain is opening in a couple of weeks, so that really depends on when you're visiting. Star Tours 2 just opened, but it's identical to all the others, apart from being in French. It's a Small World has a different art style from the ones in the states. There are also lots of walk-through attractions, like Alice's Maze and the Nautilus. And don't forget to check the cave under Sleeping Beauty's Castle!

Over in Walt Disney Studios, Ratatouille is new and very cool if you like trackless dark rides with huge props. Rock 'n Roller Coaster is different to the one in Orlando - each train has its own synchronised light show rather than blacklit props. Mickey and the Magician is a new stage show with live singing and stage magic that's really fun. And if you manage to find a time when the queue isn't over an hour, Crush's Coaster is deceptively intense - don't trust its kiddie exterior!

If you have more questions or would like personalised/more in-depth advice or directions please don't hesitate to DM me.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I am very disappointed because I was hoping there was a chance I could see pirates without Jack Sparrow. I hadn't heard it was down for refurb.

I'd still like to see Phantom Manor though, because Haunted Mansion is one of my favorites!

Thanks for the heads up! We would have been crushed if we only found out once we arrived. Also thanks for the food recommendations!

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

PkerUNO posted:

ATTRACTIONS:

Is the Indianna Jones ride still in Paris? I remember that being pretty good and there isn't one like it in Orlando.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Biggz posted:

Is the Indianna Jones ride still in Paris? I remember that being pretty good and there isn't one like it in Orlando.

I think they have a rollercoaster that's Indiana Jones themed, not the ride that's in Disneyland which is like Dinosaur (or vice versa).

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

Biggz posted:

Yes, it's a pretty basically-themed coaster with an inversion. I'm personally not a huge fan but it's still pretty popular. They also have it in Tokyo DisneySea, but themed slightly better. We all wish we had your dark ride though!

Oh, and Manuel is a pretty famous cast member amongst the Disneyland Paris community who currently works there. Say hi if you see him!

And one more thing I forgot about : I know this thread doesn't really care much about what happens outside the US parks, but April 12th was Disneyland Paris' 25th anniversary, and the show they put on was pretty bloody impressive! Have there ever been this many characters in a single show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ__sr2OBV8

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I know we've discussed this time after time over the years in the thread and I guess it's my turn to ask for some updated info. The girl and I are thinking of finally moving to Florida. We both have the privilege of working remotely with great money, so it just kind of makes sense. Plus, I have maybe one NH winter left in me tops.

What are some of the best areas near the parks? I've heard Winter Park thrown around a lot. We'd ideally rent an entire house.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Tim Whatley posted:

I know we've discussed this time after time over the years in the thread and I guess it's my turn to ask for some updated info. The girl and I are thinking of finally moving to Florida. We both have the privilege of working remotely with great money, so it just kind of makes sense. Plus, I have maybe one NH winter left in me tops.

What are some of the best areas near the parks? I've heard Winter Park thrown around a lot. We'd ideally rent an entire house.

Winter Garden is north of MK and lovely, as is Windermere.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I love how Florida suburbs are named Winter whatever like Florida even knows what winter is.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

I live in Celebration and love it. Streets can get crowded at time with tourists, but you learn to handle it. It's located just south of Disney property.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Braksgirl posted:

I love how Florida suburbs are named Winter whatever like Florida even knows what winter is.

I've always thought it's because they're snowbird towns.

Edit: Davenport is pretty nice. My wife and I stay there with her family every-other-christmas. It's a little farther away, but I'd imagine cheaper?

Also, there is a small restaurant chain called Manny's Chophouse that has good rolls. Unrelated, but I was reminded recently.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Sounds like Pandora is going to have its own version of Harry Potter wands