Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Took cat to the emergency vet which determined he needed to stay overnight, ended up passing two hours later. Loving your pets is still BWM.

They were nice enough to refund a portion of the bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Probably about to do the same with my cat.

Pets: BWM, BWEmotions

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My dad just took a 6-hour drive to go make a repair to the dryer in the timeshare they bought this year.

Isn't one of the "selling points" of a time share that maintenance and repairs are included?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Motronic posted:

Isn't one of the "selling points" of a time share that maintenance and repairs are included?

My thought was "what that gently caress is the maintenance fee going towards if you've gotta fix your own poo poo?"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Motronic posted:

I have no idea if he was obligated to or not, but they just stayed there for the first time and it broke. He went down this weekend to fix it before the next person was scheduled to go in.

I told him it was crazy, but he didn't want to report that they broke it their first time staying.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have no idea if he was obligated to or not, but they just stayed there for the first time and it broke. He went down this weekend to fix it before the next person was scheduled to go in.

I told him it was crazy, but he didn't want to report that they broke it their first time staying.

Ah the ol' "I don't want to involve maintenance" mentality that kept me from utilizing maintenance at my past two apartments half the time out of some sort of shame that things broke :allears:

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

One of the best parts of apartment living is maintenance! Our dryer broke once and the guy came and looked at it and was like eh gently caress it and just wheeled the thing out, returning with a new one 15 minutes later. Light bulb burns out? MAINTENANCE!

In other news: https://consumerist.com/2017/04/17/bad-news-for-neiman-marcus-rich-people-are-bargain-hunting-online-using-purses-for-multiple-years/

quote:

However, the world’s wealthiest shoppers have realized they don’t need to pay more — or even leave the house. The fanciest luxury brands are now all available online, sometimes for less than what you’d pay in a swanky boutique or high-end department store.

“Even a very rich person can say, ‘Enough is enough,’ when it comes to price,” the chain’s former men’s fashion director told the WSJ. Those very rich people instead go shop for their favorite designer brands online, or make the even more shocking move of buying a classic handbag and using it for multiple seasons instead of buying a new one every year.

“Back in 2007, there were young women who would skip meals to save money to buy the latest Marc Jacobs bag,” a former marketer at Neiman Marcus and competing high-end department store Nordstrom told the WSJ. Now, those same women have only one nice bag, and splurge on experiences and on meals out.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Light bulb burns out? MAINTENANCE!

They somehow managed to use old tungsten bulbs at my apartment so if I were to do this I'd be paying more in electricity anyway than just replacing the bulbs with my own LED ones.

I kept all the tungsten bulbs too though so I can put them back when I move out :v:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Dr. Eldarion posted:

One of the best parts of apartment living is maintenance! Our dryer broke once and the guy came and looked at it and was like eh gently caress it and just wheeled the thing out, returning with a new one 15 minutes later. Light bulb burns out? MAINTENANCE!

I've been replacing my own light bulbs in my apartment's recessed lighting...am I the BWM?

Echoing the above, I have at least been doing it with LED lights as they go and I have noticed a difference in my power bills.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ate all the Oreos posted:

They somehow managed to use old tungsten bulbs at my apartment so if I were to do this I'd be paying more in electricity anyway than just replacing the bulbs with my own LED ones.

I kept all the tungsten bulbs too though so I can put them back when I move out :v:

Apartment owners don't give a flying gently caress about renters utility costs, I moved from a 600sqft apartment to a 2400sqft house and my average annual electricity bill dropped about 30%. I even bought a 65" TV in the house that I didn't have in the apartment, still used less power.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

I've been replacing my own light bulbs in my apartment's recessed lighting...am I the BWM?

I haven't rented for a while, but I think most places have it written into the lease that the tenant is responsible for minor maintenance which would include cleaning, changing light bulbs, etc.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

This is what I am doing/plan to do upon leaving/did when I left my last apartment.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

SquirrelFace posted:

I haven't rented for a while, but I think most places have it written into the lease that the tenant is responsible for minor maintenance which would include cleaning, changing light bulbs, etc.

Our lease says this, but they'll still come and replace the lights if we ask. I guess it's there in case they ever want to cheap out?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oopsie rock posted:

Our lease says this, but they'll still come and replace the lights if we ask. I guess it's there in case they ever want to cheap out?

Most leases are massively over-expansive in their terms specifically so they have lots of options if they ever want to evict you. My lease says we're only allowed to have a single car and any guests that come over must park their cars "somewhere off-property" if they want to come visit :allears:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/65su1v/a_hired_contractor_took_our_money_and_ran_but/

quote:

A hired contractor took our money and ran, but check was made out to his daughter. Can we get the money back? (self.legaladvice)
submitted 16 hours ago * by mellowanon
We hired a contracter to build an additional detached room for $132,000. This is in California.
Total: 1,100 sqft
Ceiling standard 8ft high
roof cover with tile
2 bathrooms
10 ft kitchen
In the contract, we would pay him before he start working on another part of the room. (e.g. we paid $8000 so that he would start working on the flooring). The problem is that he would start working on it and then stop. Then he work on something else and ask us for money. So far, we paid him $122,000 before he stopped working. Almost every part of the detached rooms are unfinished. We trusted him since he was the brother of a family friend.
We paid all of it with checks, but the checks were made out to his daughter because he said he can't take checks under his name. We're about to file a complaint with the Contractors State License Board. We also just found out that his license expired. Also, he is still working as a builder for other locations. If we go after him legally, could we get the money back even though we wrote the checks to his daughter? If we can't get the money back, what other options do we have?

"Uhh, I am not scamming you, but please write your checks out in my daughter's name" :redflag:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I bet he pulled permits on all that work he did, too.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Dr. Eldarion posted:

One of the best parts of apartment living is maintenance!

Agreed. We have our manager replace lightbulbs, snake drains, replace water filters, fix bathroom fan filters, replace screens, etc...

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Funny how much consumerism depends on people not caring about prices. Given the number of companies focusing on selling luxury goods it must be concerning that even the wealthy don't want to pay a premium for retail stores. I'm guessing there's a lack of economic euphoria in the US.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Yeah, I remember being astonished overhearing the girls in my high school photography classes (loudly) stating that they spent $120 AUD on a bottle of perfume.

In 2007, actually.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Is that why life feels like it's on easy mode at times? Because the difficulty curve is scaled to account for idiot humans who overpay for dumb stuff?

Seriously I'm not the best at financial discipline but definitely don't splurge on poo poo like $150 perfumes even though I could and yeah so far so good.

An obviously massive oversimplifiction but I can't help but feel that dumb spending habits being normalized over the last few decades has actually done me a lot of good. It's sort of like when I talk to friends who make a lot less than I do talking about "looking into buying a house." The term adorable doesn't even begin to describe them (I sure as poo poo don't make anywhere near enough to afford a house in the Austin area, though I don't doubt I'd find someone willing to give me a loan no probz).

On that note, I best finish sending my tax payment to the irs :sigh:

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 18, 2017

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

KingSlime posted:

Is that why life feels like it's on easy mode at times? Because the difficulty curve is scaled to account for idiot humans who overpay for dumb stuff?

Seriously I'm not the best at financial discipline but definitely don't splurge on poo poo like $150 perfumes even though I could and yeah so far so good.

An obviously massive oversimplifiction but I can't help but feel that dumb spending habits being normalized over the last few decades has actually done me a lot of good. It's sort of like when I talk to friends who make a lot less than I do talking about "looking into buying a house." The term adorable doesn't even begin to describe them (I sure as poo poo don't make anywhere near enough to afford a house in the Austin area, though I don't doubt I'd find someone willing to give me a loan).

A lot of work and psychology goes into farming the consumer population for money. There's a huge difference when you pay attention to prices at the supermarket rather than blindly select products.

I hear what you're saying when people are looking into buying a house. Usually the starting point is that they're heavily in debt and paying stupidly high interest rates and living from pay to pay. However most younger people have given up on the concept of owning a home in New Zealand because the prices have been going up 20% per year which leaves most people unable to save a deposit with the amount required growing faster than they can save.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KingSlime posted:

This pretty heavily depends on how much you make compared to the cost of living in your area, but based on the small sample set I've seen: Yes.

If you have friends capable of being entertained by the company of others rather than their cell phone you can have fun on the cheap. Going to a bar is fun, but I don't need to do it every single time I want to have a drink with friends. Going out to a bar can easily add up to $50/pp, but you can pretty easily do a back yard/apartment common room BBQ for 6 people on a $100 budget. That's $200 you as a group just didn't spend. I watch people at work do it 3+ times a week then be confused why their bank account is empty-to-negative.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

H110Hawk posted:

Going to a bar is fun, but I don't need to do it every single time I want to have a drink with friends. Going out to a bar can easily add up to $50/pp, but you can pretty easily do a back yard/apartment common room BBQ for 6 people on a $100 budget. That's $200 you as a group just didn't spend. I watch people at work do it 3+ times a week then be confused why their bank account is empty-to-negative.

Indeed, some of the best times I've had with mates was playing "Goon of Fortune" in their backyards.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

spinst posted:

I live in one of the "top 25 fastest growing metropolitan areas" according to a U.S. Census Bureau report.

I've been looking to get out of my apartment and into a duplex. Found an affordable one, which was hard enough, and went to the open house today.

There were so many people there! It was depressing.

Apartment living forever, I guess!

Moving: BWM

Against all odds, I got the duplex!

I get to cut a $2600 check on Thursday. Super excited!

Moving: BWM.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

spinst posted:

I get to cut a $2600 check on Thursday. Super excited!

Moving: BWM.

USA still using cheques in 2017, BWM

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spinst posted:

So what's wrong with it considering nobody else wanted it

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Their dog pissed itself rather than going inside and the doors need to be fixed so they stop swinging open.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Their dog pissed itself rather than going inside and the doors need to be fixed so they stop swinging open.

There is nothing wrong with the doors. That's the ghosts.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This was the last place I rented, except it was a 19 year old bogan couple that used an approved single cat in the lease to Trojan horse in an additional cat, plus two puppies and a rabbit. Carpets stank for weeks even after two professional cleanings and never quite quit smelling like piss over the ~9 months we lived there, plus were torn up at every door because the dogs would get locked in there and try to dig their way out. There were wine stains in every room as well, and it was pretty 1970s. Despite never doing anything about the carpets, landlord decided to raise the rent 10% on us after 9 months, so we left and found a nicer place for the same amount of money.

None of that stopped about a dozen prospective tenants coming to the open house and nearly all of them asking for the lease application paperwork, despite the fact the place was overpriced (for reasons above, plus had a somewhat nonsensical layout). The damage far exceeded the bond, but like in most of those cases, going after the deadbeat tenants is usually more cost than its worth.

BWM: being too impatient to get a tenant into your vacant rental and walking back on your original 'no kids, no pets' stipulation. They got talked into it by the small-time leasing office they went with, probably because the leasing office wasn't getting their cut of the rent and had no financial stake if the tenants turned out to be deadbeats.

edit: congrats on getting the place though, buy some Glade plug-ins and crank them up to max.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 18, 2017

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

So what's wrong with it considering nobody else wanted it

About 10 people submitted applications for the place within the one hour open house.

She picked me because I'm a teacher (her daughter is also a teacher).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

spinst posted:

About 10 people submitted applications for the place within the one hour open house.

Looks like somebody is getting set up with the daughter.

Does she live in the other half of the duplex with this daughter?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

spinst posted:

haha that is the most insane reason to pick someone imo. I guess when all the applicants are similar you choose what you know.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

reddit, natch posted:

Hello! I'm a 25 yr/o female living in Nova Scotia. I have to get my car registered soon which is why this is coming up now. I work downtown and do not have employee parking, therefore I've been parking in 2hr parking every day for the last few years. I have gotten parking tickets every so often over the last 2 years and haven't paid them. I don't know why, I'm an idiot. Now that I have to get my car registered, I called Access Nova Scotia to see what the damage is. Welp.
I owe 48 tickets, at $61.60 a piece which is a total of $2956.80. I don't know what to do. I make $15/hr and I find it hard enough to keep up with bills as it is. I already live in a cheap dumpy apartment already, so down sizing is out of the question. Before I am forced to sell my car (which I don't live on a bus route, so the car is really really needed), I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this and has any advice?
I know that ticket/fine debt is a lot different than just regular collections debt and I don't know my options (if there even are any). Sorry if this post is a jumbled mess, I just got off the phone and feel like I may barf.

At least in the comments she's like 'welp I hosed up I'll move so I'm on a bus route I guess' but still.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Why do people share their age and gender when it's completely irrelevant? "I'm a 43 year old married man, how do I pay my car loan???"

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

ohgodwhat posted:

Why do people share their age and gender when it's completely irrelevant? "I'm a 43 year old married man, how do I pay my car loan???"

Do you also like long walks on the beach? Confusing personal finance and dating seems to be an issue.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Devian666 posted:

Do you also like long walks on the beach? Confusing personal finance and dating seems to be an issue.

Both good ways to get hosed, at least.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

ohgodwhat posted:

it's pretty relevant. we know he's not 104, in which case the advice would be "take it to your grave" and that he's not 13, in which case the advice would be "how did you get a car loan"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

haha that is the most insane reason to pick someone imo. I guess when all the applicants are similar you choose what you know.

Were the other applicants ethnic by chance

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Hey guys, I found a new subreddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dropship/comments/63mv9a/do_not_use_dropshipping_for_ebay/

DO NOT USE DROPSHIPPING FOR EBAY!!!!!!!! (self.dropship)
Unless you have an online store that specifies extremely long shipping times which of course will lose you customers one way or another if you are upfront or not DO NOT BELIEVE THE DROPSHIP HYPE!! I just got loving cornholed by my "Genius" Idea to list a bunch of aliexpress products on ebay thinking. My first gently caress UP was that I kept the item location as my address and not loving CHINA where the actual Item was. My second gently caress UP was that My behavior on aliexpress set off a red flag because I tried to use 2 different credit cards which put my account under review and this led to even longer shipping time. Long loving story short, after thinking I was the drop ship WIZARD and after making a whopping $150 profit on 50 Sales. I bought a loving nice bag of kush and was celebrating my small business victory only to realize which is actually pretty loving obvious now that I think about it that this was the worst and probably one of the dumbest loving things I ever did. What happens when you get 50 orders from EBAY. Well here is how it goes, 50 people order 50 different items from you, This equals about $1000 in gross income, thats before ebay fees, paypal fees and however much it costs you to buy it from the dropshipper. Now you, One by one Buy the items. and whatever you are left over with is yours right? nope, about 13% of that goes to ebay. Which is normal but its something I wanted to point out. Now, you have 50 Items on the way to your soon to be hostile customers. But Since I was not Upfront about where the poo poo was coming from, everyone was expecting the products in a few days. So what happens next? The first customer complains and opens a case, Ebay puts a hold on the funds in your paypal for the full loving amount of that product say $50, Now another case is open and they put a hold on $25 and this continues until your paypal is in the negative. AND THEY TAKE THAT FROM YOUR BANK ACCOUNT!!! So yes, and if thats not the worst part EBAY will refund the people and the items are still in transit, good luck getting that poo poo back. I just paid for a fat bitches Electric Cock Zapping Sex Toy in Kentucky and Im am not making any of that UP. Shes probably zapping dicks all day on my dollar. This is bullshit, and she is one of 49 more people. So at the end of it all, not only is that loving $150 gone, I will probably end up paying for all this poo poo out of pocket and Its my girlfriends paypal account so gently caress MY LIFE gently caress US ALL TO HELL. MORAL OF THIS DICK SHOCKING STORY IS I learned a pretty valuable lesson and I hope if this finds you before you make the mistake I did, Well gently caress YOU YOU LUCKY BASTARD. gently caress YOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

FrozenVent posted:

Hey guys, I found a new subreddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dropship/comments/63mv9a/do_not_use_dropshipping_for_ebay/

DO NOT USE DROPSHIPPING FOR EBAY!!!!!!!! (self.dropship)
Unless you have an online store that specifies extremely long shipping times which of course will lose you customers one way or another if you are upfront or not DO NOT BELIEVE THE DROPSHIP HYPE!! I just got loving cornholed by my "Genius" Idea to list a bunch of aliexpress products on ebay thinking. My first gently caress UP was that I kept the item location as my address and not loving CHINA where the actual Item was. My second gently caress UP was that My behavior on aliexpress set off a red flag because I tried to use 2 different credit cards which put my account under review and this led to even longer shipping time. Long loving story short, after thinking I was the drop ship WIZARD and after making a whopping $150 profit on 50 Sales. I bought a loving nice bag of kush and was celebrating my small business victory only to realize which is actually pretty loving obvious now that I think about it that this was the worst and probably one of the dumbest loving things I ever did. What happens when you get 50 orders from EBAY. Well here is how it goes, 50 people order 50 different items from you, This equals about $1000 in gross income, thats before ebay fees, paypal fees and however much it costs you to buy it from the dropshipper. Now you, One by one Buy the items. and whatever you are left over with is yours right? nope, about 13% of that goes to ebay. Which is normal but its something I wanted to point out. Now, you have 50 Items on the way to your soon to be hostile customers. But Since I was not Upfront about where the poo poo was coming from, everyone was expecting the products in a few days. So what happens next? The first customer complains and opens a case, Ebay puts a hold on the funds in your paypal for the full loving amount of that product say $50, Now another case is open and they put a hold on $25 and this continues until your paypal is in the negative. AND THEY TAKE THAT FROM YOUR BANK ACCOUNT!!! So yes, and if thats not the worst part EBAY will refund the people and the items are still in transit, good luck getting that poo poo back. I just paid for a fat bitches Electric Cock Zapping Sex Toy in Kentucky and Im am not making any of that UP. Shes probably zapping dicks all day on my dollar. This is bullshit, and she is one of 49 more people. So at the end of it all, not only is that loving $150 gone, I will probably end up paying for all this poo poo out of pocket and Its my girlfriends paypal account so gently caress MY LIFE gently caress US ALL TO HELL. MORAL OF THIS DICK SHOCKING STORY IS I learned a pretty valuable lesson and I hope if this finds you before you make the mistake I did, Well gently caress YOU YOU LUCKY BASTARD. gently caress YOU

Ummmmm lmao at this whole thing

• Locked thread