Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

couldcareless posted:

Is there a big difference between the classic and the mk4? Been watching for a deal on these for awhile and if there isn't a notable difference I'll bite on this.

Here's what I was told in the kitchen equip thread:

.Z. posted:

Mk4:
-Waterproof
-Backlit screen
-Auto-rotating screen
-Motion-sensing sleep, wake mode.

Classic:
-Water-resistant
-Not backlit screen
-Fixed screen orientation
-No-motion sensing. Just open and close to turn it on/off. And an auto-sleep if left open too long, which requires close and open to turn on again.

Mk4 features are nice, but not worth the extra money for most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Good enough for me. Awesome deal, thanks for the heads up

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Anyone know a good, $200 or less, PCIe 16X 3.0 video card that is single slot but also DOESN'T have a huge fan that sticks into a second slot? Prefer that it includes an HDMI connector but must have a VGA or Dual-Link DVI-D.

I need it for a server that the slot is at the top of a riser so there is physically no room for a fan that sticks out that far. Most cards even when sorting for "single slot" have huge fans taht need to take up a second slot worth of space.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Real wood furniture? Everything seems to be made out of particleboard MDF now, and I'd gladly pay a bit more to have furniture that I can't accidentally break.

Specifically dining room table and chairs, but bookshelves and other stuff too would be good.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

nocal posted:

Real wood furniture? Everything seems to be made out of particleboard MDF now, and I'd gladly pay a bit more to have furniture that I can't accidentally break.

Specifically dining room table and chairs, but bookshelves and other stuff too would be good.

Oh furniture I like me some furniture.

http://www.iannonedesign.com/
http://www.clearlakefurniture.com/
http://cityjoinery.com/

If you have archive I made a thread at some point with more places but I don't remember them. (feel free to post the list of you do find it)

Duck and Cover has a new favorite as of 02:15 on Apr 23, 2017

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm in need of a leather wallet. I typically don't like thick wallets so I've been eying this one. http://dunwallets.com any other suggestions?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Get a Bellroy wallet.

My friend and I have the Hide & Seek and love them. My brother also has one, although I can't remember which, and he loves it too.

I've had mine for 3 or 4 years at this point and other than imprints in the leather from the things I keep in it, it's basically in like new condition. No tears, stitching coming out, fading or anything. It's also quite slim.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I need a new wallet. Trifold is preferred. I just need to be able to hold between 6 to 12 cards and have at least several different pockets.

I thought there was some good goon made stuff but I can't find the SAmart thread.

Recommendations? Price is not a concern as long as it's not super fancy more than $100.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

nocal posted:

You might also want to look at local carpenters and will probably find that a custom piece from them will be equal in price or not much off a website/store selling real wood furniture.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

You might also want to look at local carpenters and will probably find that a custom piece from them will be equal in price or not much off a website/store selling real wood furniture.

Local also saves on shipping. The places I linked do custom work because it's really the way to go.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

drat those Belroys look nice as hell.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Looking for a recommendation for led bulbs for recessed can lights where the bulb is exposed. We have florescent bulbs in the kitchen and living room and they are so incredibly bright and unpleasant. Looking for something that is not too bright, and easy on the eyes when exposed.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Anyone want to weigh in on Casper vs Leesa mattresses? Wife and I are interested in replacing our main mattress with one but I don't know much about either outside of podcast ads, and both sound great.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I have a Leesa and it's great. I chose it over Casper because I heard it was the softer of the two. I have never tried a Casper myself, though.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We just got a Casper. I enjoy it, but my sense for a good mattress is about as keen at my taste for wine. My wife who is on her feet all day does enjoy it though.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've read the Leesa may have a layer of foam that wears out after a few years, but they haven't been around long enough to know if that's the case or not.

Other than that one possible issue, I've read the Casper is more firm than the Leesa. Both are not good if you weigh over 250 pounds. That's apparently an issue with foam mattresses in general. Also, they have terrible edge strength because they're foam. So sitting on the side of the bed is kind of weird.

That's all I've gathered from reading reviews online. I think I might pick up a Casper in the near future but maybe not.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

C-Euro posted:

Anyone want to weigh in on Casper vs Leesa mattresses? Wife and I are interested in replacing our main mattress with one but I don't know much about either outside of podcast ads, and both sound great.

Ghost Bed.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I never tested a Leesa but did test a Casper and Tufn N Needle... went with the Casper and am sleeping better than ever. The Tuft N Needle was a bit TOO firm... Casper feels just right, but is still firmer than a traditional memory foam mattress or topper.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Foam mattresses are lame but Urban Mattress, a brick and mortar foam mattress store, is not. You may want to check them out.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Have you considered making a mattress out of brick and mortar? I hear they're very firm.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I kind of want a fidget cube but I read up on the Antsy Labs kickstarter and see they still aren't shipping. Anyone gotten a knockoff that isn't a pile of crap?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

dantheman650 posted:

I kind of want a fidget cube but I read up on the Antsy Labs kickstarter and see they still aren't shipping. Anyone gotten a knockoff that isn't a pile of crap?

I'd also be interested in something like this.

I've been using GripMASTER finger strengtheners in the meantime while at work, but I find my left hand get's most of the workout since I'm always using my right hand on the mouse.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

C-Euro posted:

maybe the newer foam mattresses are great, but be sure they're for you. i still have ptsd from the lovely long term performance and crockpot-like heat and sweat bath of using one growing up

at the moment I have an overpriced traditional mattress, but if i had it to do over again, I'd get a shikibuton (the traditional kind), kakebuton and a tri fold and call it a day

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

dantheman650 posted:

The ones from this store are identical to the kickstarter (the one with the two-part box with the lid) https://www.aliexpress.com/store/2666099 and I ordered half a dozen a while back. They're pretty great.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Best tech/dryfit undershirts? I am looking for shirts that are fairly tight like an undershirt, will keep me dry/I can work out in, and not 25 bucks each. Any recommendations?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Snowmankilla posted:

Best tech/dryfit undershirts? I am looking for shirts that are fairly tight like an undershirt, will keep me dry/I can work out in, and not 25 bucks each. Any recommendations?

Uniqlo Airism.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Shower clock? Just something that shows the time, is waterproof, and can be stuck on a shower wall. Preferably not too expensive.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Beachcomber posted:

Uniqlo Airism.

These are the best, but annoyingly will go out of stock for pretty long chunks of time.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

bongwizzard posted:

These are the best, but annoyingly will go out of stock for pretty long chunks of time.

Especially in my size

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Beachcomber posted:

Uniqlo Airism.

Thanks. I ordered one regular and one mesh in 2 sizes. Thanks!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Snowmankilla posted:

Thanks. I ordered one regular and one mesh in 2 sizes. Thanks!

I don't like the regular, but love the mesh. Also, they go out of stock after summer and don't restock until spring, so purchase accordingly.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I need a new keyboard. I've currently got a Unicomp Classic 101 White Buckling Spring and it's great. Ideally I'd just buy another one of these, but shipping to Australia basically doubles the cost, so I'm looking for a cheaper option. Any suggestions?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I got a Nantando Swatch

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

I got a Nantando Swatch

Good job getting an idiot baby dumb amazing wonderful thing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Anyone want to recommend a screen cover & case for a Pixel phone?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
My wife wants a new laptop for doing school work, since her old one has hit the old parts store in the sky. I'm looking for something inexpensive, but dependable and reliable. Just something that'll do great for homework, and maybe run some simple games (100% OJ, etc).

I'd like to spend less than $300, but I'm willing to go up to $400.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Leavemywife posted:

My wife wants a new laptop for doing school work, since her old one has hit the old parts store in the sky. I'm looking for something inexpensive, but dependable and reliable. Just something that'll do great for homework, and maybe run some simple games (100% OJ, etc).

I'd like to spend less than $300, but I'm willing to go up to $400.

There is a dedicated laptop thread that you might have more luck in:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651&perpage=40

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

My apartment is a dust pit with tons of pet hair. Feels like by the time I finish dusting, its time to start again. No matter how much i brush the dog, it still somehow piles up. Any good air filters for a 100 square foot room? I have a smaller cheap one for my office, but feel like I should just drop money on one for the living room to save myself the cleaning effort every time there's company.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I made a post years ago about this air filter:

lowcrabdiet posted:

I've had this Winix purifier for 4 years now and it's great. The main HEPA filter is reusable and washable (rinse under water) and I think it comes with extra pre-filters that are disposable. It's completely silent at the lowest setting. The air quality sensor is a lot more sensitive than you'd think.

If I'm cooking one room over, the sensor picks that up and ramps up the fan. My couch is about 10 feet away from the unit, and if I fart, the sensor picks that up within a minute or so and increases the fan speed.

I looked after a cat for a year and there would be so much cat fur stuck at the inlets so I know it worked pretty well for cat fur/dander, at least.

edit: This updated model looks like an evil robot if that's your aesthetic. And this one looks like it belongs in an evil villain's lair.

lowcrabdiet has a new favorite as of 20:04 on May 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Will those actually cut down on dust? I've always been curious about them but also leery. It takes about a week of no cleaning for my room to be covered in a very noticeable layer of dust. My poor PS4 usually gets the worst of it and considering I've always had allergies it seems like it could be totally worth the cash.