Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I had an aborted takeoff once, pretty freaky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Cacafuego posted:

Also, had my first 'go around' last night on approach into CLT. I read about it after and it's apparently no big deal, but I was scared for a second there when we pitched up and hit the throttle.

Generally, go arounds are preferable to hitting whatever caused it. :v:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Only time I really got freaked out was when we took off, leveled off almost immediately and made 2 left turns to enter the downwind pattern to return to the field. I started to see the flashing lights right when we passed the runway threshold and the pilot said we were returning hot and heavy.

Go arounds just always happen when I have a connection to make and it makes me a different kind of nervous.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Tyro posted:

AA changed their boarding process last month, there are like 9 or 10 groups now, you should be good.

Wait, an airline actually admitted that "priority" or "group 1" boarding is actually like the 5th set that gets to board?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Thoguh posted:

Wait, an airline actually admitted that "priority" or "group 1" boarding is actually like the 5th set that gets to board?

Well gold is fairly low status but yeah

Group 1: First class and US military, business class on a 2-class international aircraft
Group 2: AAdvantage Executive Platinum and Oneworld Emerald, business class on a 3-class international aircraft
Group 3: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, AAdvantage Platinum and Oneworld Sapphire
Group 4: AAdvantage Gold and Oneworld Ruby, Alaska Airlines MVP members, AirPass, Citi/AAdvantage Executive cardmembers and passengers who purchased priority boarding. UPDATE: Now includes premium economy
Group 5: Main Cabin Extra and eligible AAdvantage credit cardmembers
Group 6: [General economy boarding. Former Group 2]
Group 7: [General economy boarding. Former Group 3]
Group 8: [General economy boarding. Former Group 4]
Group 9: Basic Economy (when launched)
There's a graphic on it in this article:

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/01/aa-new-boarding-groups/

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Thoguh posted:

I mean, when three of your four statuses are different types of platinum, I think it makes sense to rank everyone numerically instead of listing off different metals and precious gems for the first 4 groups.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

creationist believer posted:

I mean, when three of your four statuses are different types of platinum, I think it makes sense to rank everyone numerically instead of listing off different metals and precious gems for the first 4 groups.

It's helped a little with the crowd of people who swarm the gate when they had group 2 printed on their boarding pass not realizing there were five unnumbered groups before hand. Except at CLT which still seems to have big issues with people swarming the gate and shutting down the hallway there.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Thomamelas posted:

It's helped a little with the crowd of people who swarm the gate when they had group 2 printed on their boarding pass not realizing there were five unnumbered groups before hand. Except at CLT which still seems to have big issues with people swarming the gate and shutting down the hallway there.

This is because, like much of the rest of CLT, the place was not designed for the growth it has experienced in the last ten years. I use Terminal A (the original) almost exclusively as a UA flyer and the design is not much different but the gate density sure is. Interested to see what they do with the new A extension they're building over the next two years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm Group 6 tomorrow. I hate AA.

I've never been surprised by a go-around. Usually you can tell when things are going a little bit wrong (or I fly in to the same airport far too many times).

Most airport terminals are just not designed for the number of seats available on current aircraft. The 737-800 and A320 are 160-175 passenger aircraft and are by far the most common types in use today at major airports. Throw in some 757s and A321s as well in the ~200 seat class. Thirty years ago, there were mostly 737-200s and DC-9-30s (105 passengers), DC-9-50s (120 passengers), 727-200s (135 passengers), and early MD-80 variants at about 150 seats. Plus, load factors are way up. If I look at the gatehouses even in a relatively new built terminal like Logan terminal A, they're designed with seating for 100-150. People are naturally going to take up a bunch of space

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Most airport terminals are just not designed for the number of seats available on current aircraft. The 737-800 and A320 are 160-175 passenger aircraft and are by far the most common types in use today at major airports. Throw in some 757s and A321s as well in the ~200 seat class. Thirty years ago, there were mostly 737-200s and DC-9-30s (105 passengers), DC-9-50s (120 passengers), 727-200s (135 passengers), and early MD-80 variants at about 150 seats. Plus, load factors are way up. If I look at the gatehouses even in a relatively new built terminal like Logan terminal A, they're designed with seating for 100-150. People are naturally going to take up a bunch of space

It's even worse when you get stuck at the end of a terminal, because there always seems to be like 4-6 gates where there should only be 2. The only airport that immediately comes to mind that does an OK job of this is DTW. In the middle where you usually see the 747s and 777s heading for Asia there are a lot of available seats and open spaces around the fountains and other shops. Some of the garage side gates in A terminal are a little cramped, but usually those are MD-88/MD-90/717 gates.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don't know, if you show up when all those international flights are going out in the late afternoon for the early Europe departures and the Asian departures, that central section of A is loving terrible.

Edit: plus, McNamara was a greefield terminal building completed in 2002, so it should by all rights be a better design than most legacy airport facilities.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I've said it before, but thank god they changed the rule after 9/11 to not allow mom and pop into the secure side of the airport. I know it sucks for a bunch of airports, but think of how much worse all that would be with those extra bazillion people wandering around.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

Thomamelas posted:

This is why I prefer Southwest's method of boarding. It's by far the most orderly and doesn't end up with a giant cluster gently caress of people crowding each other out at the gate. I wish every airline did it like that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Water Resistant posted:

This is why I prefer Southwest's method of boarding. It's by far the most orderly and doesn't end up with a giant cluster gently caress of people crowding each other out at the gate. I wish every airline did it like that.

no assigned seats can suck a thousand loving dicks

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Getting on a Southwest flight is like being so much cattle loading into the feedlot. Ugh.

Southwest is for people who get to fly once a year.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Southwest is great if you're flying Business Select and/or have A-List status. Otherwise yes it sucks a bajillion dicks.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

We have to get VP approval to fly Southwest. Also Frontier, Allegiant, JetBlue, or Spirit. Not that anyone flying on business travel would ever choose to.

Oddly, no restrictions on budget airlines for overseas segments like EasyJet or Ryanair.

On the downside, we got a memo the other week that we can no longer expense business class on flights under 18 hours. Which is pretty much anywhere.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 19, 2017

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

On the downside, we got a memo the other week that we can no longer expense business class on flights under 18 hours. Which is pretty much anywhere.

Is there a nonstop flight that is longer than 18 hours? I know there's a Quantas flight that's does Dallas to Sydney in 17ish hours.

Or are they saying that flights like LAX to BOM, which is 21+ hours, would count?

Also

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Water Resistant posted:

I'll keep pushing through at the gate to remove yet another way for an airline to dehumanize me.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Goober Peas posted:

We have to get VP approval to fly Southwest. Also Frontier, Allegiant, JetBlue, or Spirit. Not that anyone flying on business travel would ever choose to.

Oddly, no restrictions on budget airlines for overseas segments like EasyJet or Ryanair.

I would happily fly Jetblue over southwest, frontier, spirit. idk why they get casually tossed aside as a subpar airline.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

kimcicle posted:

Is there a nonstop flight that is longer than 18 hours? I know there's a Quantas flight that's does Dallas to Sydney in 17ish hours.

Or are they saying that flights like LAX to BOM, which is 21+ hours, would count?

Also

Wikipedia says the longest is Auckland to Doha, at 17h 40m. I'm surprised there's enough people flying that route to make it worth their while.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Mandalay posted:

I would happily fly Jetblue over southwest, frontier, spirit. idk why they get casually tossed aside as a subpar airline.

We probably don't get a kickback from them

:shrug:

I know Delta, United, and AA give one if we have $X of corporate spend.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Goober Peas posted:

We probably don't get a kickback from them

:shrug:

I know Delta, United, and AA give one if we have $X of corporate spend.

And yes if you were to book a flight that has cumulative segments of 18 hours to one destination, you get business on the company dime.

Because that's easier than telling the handful of jerks abusing the system to cut it out or find another job :rolleyes:

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

And yes if you were to book a flight that has cumulative segments of 18 hours to one destination, you get business on the company dime.

Because that's easier than telling the handful of jerks abusing the system to cut it out or find another job :rolleyes:

I wish my company would let me book business every time they make me go to Mumbai. :(

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

kimcicle posted:

I wish my company would let me book business every time they make me go to Mumbai. :(

We have an operation in Hyderabad. It's a pain in the rear end to get proper documentation to do any work there, a pain in the rear end to get there, a pain in the rear end once you're there, a pain in the rear end to leave. Flying business is just about the only non-negative to having to go. If you get an assignment there, it's 30 days minimum due to the amount of red tape. Brazil is probably the next most complicated country for us to work in and it's a cakewalk by comparison.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

18 hour long trips suck big time and business just barely compensates for like, 70% of the suck imo.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
As someone who doesn't sleep on coach for more than 45 minutes before waking up in pain I 100% disagree.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kimcicle posted:

If they count it like the US Government does then it is 18 hours from when you enter your first airport to when you leave your last airport. Though even for the government the limit is like half of that.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
We don't even get to book business class anymore. Under any circumstances. It used to be allowed for international flights with any segment over 8 hours, now under those circumstances we're only allowed to upgrade to premium economy.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Noctone posted:

We don't even get to book business class anymore. Under any circumstances. It used to be allowed for international flights with any segment over 8 hours, now under those circumstances we're only allowed to upgrade to premium economy.

Do you at least get to book a real premium economy product and not what the US airlines consider premium economy?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Beats me. International trips are rare as is for us, and I haven't done one since the new policy went into effect. I would assume it would be like United's Economy Plus or equivalent.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Thoguh posted:

Do you at least get to book a real premium economy product and not what the US airlines consider premium economy?

We can book/expense Comfort + seats on Delta (I fly almost exclusively Delta). It depends on the plane whether I do so or not -- if it's an MD8x or MD9x I go for the rear exit row with the jumpseat - where there's a full 15 inches of knee room. I've noticed in Q1 each year Delta charges us for those seats too, but the rest of the year there's no charge. It must have something to do with our corporate contract and reaching a certain threshold. I've also noticed that if I travel with non-frequent fliers in Q1 they are typically Zone 2 boarding, but in Q2-4 they're always Zone 1. Starting about Q2 is when Delta starts offering me paid/points upgrades to First Class.

For what it's worth, just my experience as a 30% annual traveler for a Fortune 100 company.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Lol you fuckers get premium economy? I just had a 14 hour flight in coach for work and had to pay with my own money to get the extra legroom seats.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm not super tall and am used to flying on all sorts of airlands as much as I love Cathay.

Going to HKG - NRT round trip for 130 USD so no complaints there. On Vanilla Air. Yeah it's poo poo CC, but who cares

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Sorry for no subtitles but here's a new video from United

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb-1qKfG6Yg

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

ohgodwhat posted:

Lol you fuckers get premium economy? I just had a 14 hour flight in coach for work and had to pay with my own money to get the extra legroom seats.

that's cool your job doesn't respect you

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

caberham posted:

I'm not super tall and am used to flying on all sorts of airlands as much as I love Cathay.

Going to HKG - NRT round trip for 130 USD so no complaints there. On Vanilla Air. Yeah it's poo poo CC, but who cares

Cathay is dying and will get bought by Air China because of millions of people like you who are choosing price over product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm Group 6 tomorrow. I hate AA.

I've never been surprised by a go-around. Usually you can tell when things are going a little bit wrong (or I fly in to the same airport far too many times).

One of the segments I fly most commonly will occasionally have a CRJ-200.

:sigh: