Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Internet Kraken posted:

No warping is cool up until you accidentally go to one of the areas blocked by golden fog and end up hating yourself.

I ran all the way down Tomb of the Giants past the skeledogs and skelegiants only to find the golden fog before I had even gone to Anor Londo and I just had to lol.

Kings Doors are at least a lot cooler than golden fog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

No warping is cool up until you accidentally go to one of the areas blocked by golden fog and end up hating yourself.

If you manage to bumble your way into the Tomb of the Giants early to mid game, you might as well delete your character as it'll be faster and less frustrating to play up to that point again on a new character than to escape that place :suicide:

This is good game design.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Internet Kraken posted:

Going to and from blight town is the most miserable piece of travel in the entire series. I would rank that loving water wheel as worse than the lovely reindeer filled snow hell in 2's DLC. For all jerking off people do of the unified world in one, I was really, really tired of walking across that place by the time I was done with the game. When two let me just warp anywhere I was very happy because it meant I would never have to walk through the entirety of a zone I hated, to get to another zone I hated because I forgot something stupid.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

alf_pogs posted:

i've moved into an unfortunate situation without a stable internet connection and have to grind out a bunch of cov items (wolfblood grass, conchords kept) - are these all accessible via rare enemy drops or am i doomed?

All of them are farmable, with vertebra shackles and spears ornaments of the church being the worst. Wolfblood grass isn't bad, you can farm the area with the two dickwraiths and get pale tongues at the same time. Concords kept are also pretty easy, kill the two silver knights in front of Anor Londo over and over and over and over.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it takes 2 million years though. not sure if item discovery stat actually affects those drops because I had over 300 item discovery and still was very rarely getting them

you do not "have" to grind out cov items at any rate, either don't bother with those or cheat em in or whatever

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
The second rank of Spears of the Church gives you a better, I assume, spear attack. How much better is it?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

alf_pogs posted:

i've moved into an unfortunate situation without a stable internet connection and have to grind out a bunch of cov items (wolfblood grass, conchords kept) - are these all accessible via rare enemy drops or am i doomed?

If you run into a sufficiently skilled (and friendly) hacker, they can grant you concords.

Not wolfgrass though.

Don't try to grind the concords - I was curious and tried it with something like 3000 item discovery and they are just sickeningly rare.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think they might just be set to only drop at like 1/30 rate or something(or even worse?) no matter what. I spent hours killing the silver knights while wearing gold serpent ring+3 and mark of avarice, and got like.... 4 conchords.

I have 19 conchords now, and I'm on NG+ having gotten summoned as darkmoon way more often than most people seem to.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

cool - thanks everybody!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Oh God, I'm really not willing to check the item drop tables to see.

Still, that would be rather unique of them to have a fixed drop rate.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
So how do people usually go for a full faith build? I did a strength/faith a while back to use Morne's Hammer but never went pure faith before.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Haven't done something with no str/dex, but if you're gonna use offensive miracles Sunlight Talisman is probably the way to go because you have huge poise when you use your L2 with it and basically won't get staggered out of casting spears at stuff point blank

it's in farron keep next to the estus soup, which is near(to the left) of the ladder which leads to the old wolf of farron

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 19, 2017

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Desperate Character posted:

So how do people usually go for a full faith build? I did a strength/faith a while back to use Morne's Hammer but never went pure faith before.

It's better in ng+. You need sage ring and both miracle boosting rings. Lighting clutch helps. Best miracles are in the second half of the game, mainly the new lightning bow, canvas or saints talisman to trade using the weapon art for poising through. Lightning storm, lightning bow, lightning stake and sunlight spear are the best. Go for 40 to 60 faith. Med heal is about as big as you need but project heal is a faster heal aid. Lightning spear and others do double damage if you cast them point blank. Dorhys Gnawing is downright unfair against several bosses, especially nameless king and dancer.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Used to be Raw rear end until you got the Dragonslayer's Axe (which you would also make Raw). However as of the latest patch the Longsword now scales really well with Faith when you infuse it with Blessed.

So Raw rear end or Deep Battle Axe or weapon of your choice infused with the Fire Gem starting gift for the early game. Then a bit in you can switch to Blessed something (Longsword is best, but some other weapons like the Mace work decently well) or the Saint Bident since it's okay. Dragonslayer Axe is still one of your better choices from the mid-game onward (infused with Raw and buffed with Lightning Blade) and the Sunlight Straight Sword is now a really good lategame Faith weapon since it scales strongly with Faith and can be buffed with the various buffs. If you're capable of doing the DLC early you can rush through it and pick up the Crucifix of the Mad King a bit early.

For Miracles it's pretty much Gnawing/Dorhys' Gnawing since the bleed procs on a single cast on most enemies, and Lightning Stake since it does good damage. For casting implement Cleric's Chime and regular Talisman are best under 50 Faith, beyond that Saint's Talisman/Yorshka's chime are better, but you're probably best off just going with the Sunlight Talisman since it has the most poise with its weapon skill.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 19, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Usually people just pick some good buffable weapon for a pure faith build. The offencive miracles on a faith build arent worth much.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Lightning Arrow is disgustingly good in PvP imho

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Metallia posted:

Lightning Arrow is disgustingly good in PvP imho

It is. Lightning Stake and Lightning Storm are also great in PvP. Not sure what Iretep is going on about. Just bait people into being really aggressive by healing up with Heal Aid/ Project Heal when they try to keep their distance and use lightning storm to keep them away, or lightning stake when they come to try to hit you.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Champion Gundyr seemed so easy last time, I think I one shot him. This time he is kicking my rear end. Playing as a pyro, too. Most other bosses are easy with pyro spells. He is just so aggressive and hard to dodge!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I've made it up to Lord Gwn, but I can't seem to beat him. I can get past his knights just fine, but he's really fast and I never have any time to heal.

Looking online, one of the suggestions is to have strong fire resistance. I've been using the Catarina set for the most part up until now, but I'm thinking about taking the Black Knight armor set and improving it to get more fire resistance. I've got the Halberd +15 as my mainstay, but I don't know how viable it is for this fight. I leveled up the Black Knight Halberd to +4, and I've got a Silver Knight Shield +5. I thought about getting some humanity and farming for the Black Knight Shield.

I'm also wondering if I should do some additional leveling as well. I didn't go through the Painted World or tackled any of the DLC content, so maybe I can do some of that and get some additional levels. I have Strength and Dexterity at 32, Endurance at 30, and Vitality at 27. I haven't really put points into Faith or Intelligence, as I haven't really used magic that much. I tried using Iron Flesh and I have Power Within, but Iron Flesh slowed me down too much, and the health drain from Power Within seems like it would make the fight even harder.

EDIT: Additionally, I also have the Great Scythe, which I've heard is the best weapon in the game if you have high Dexterity. Again, though, I don't know how useful it would be for the Gwn fight; it seems like you need a weapon that attacks quickly.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 19, 2017

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

This Pure faith build is what I'm using and works pretty well. In PvE you get the choice of sword and boarding, spewing lightning or bugs everywhere. Nameless king's 2nd form is a pain with this build but, its only a matter of get gud since you can obliterate the camera loving first form quickly. In pvp it does fairly well and has a lot of options. In 1v1s I end up engaging my opponent as a straight sword user and use stake/arrow to keep my opponent guessing. If they give me a gap I heal up and if they have the upper hand I kite around an object with lightning storm. I have some success against gank squads too because they get incredibly over confident and I can usually snag one phantom with a lightning storm.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Needed to add a scissors sword to go with the glorious return of slut gear.

Klk has a really good sound track :allears:

These are fun in SnS. Also the gunblade.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I've made it up to Lord Gwn, but I can't seem to beat him. I can get past his knights just fine, but he's really fast and I never have any time to heal.

Looking online, one of the suggestions is to have strong fire resistance. I've been using the Catarina set for the most part up until now, but I'm thinking about taking the Black Knight armor set and improving it to get more fire resistance. I've got the Halberd +15 as my mainstay, but I don't know how viable it is for this fight. I leveled up the Black Knight Halberd to +4, and I've got a Silver Knight Shield +5. I thought about getting some humanity and farming for the Black Knight Shield.

I'm also wondering if I should do some additional leveling as well. I didn't go through the Painted World or tackled any of the DLC content, so maybe I can do some of that and get some additional levels. I have Strength and Dexterity at 32, Endurance at 30, and Vitality at 27. I haven't really put points into Faith or Intelligence, as I haven't really used magic that much. I tried using Iron Flesh and I have Power Within, but Iron Flesh slowed me down too much, and the health drain from Power Within seems like it would make the fight even harder.

EDIT: Additionally, I also have the Great Scythe, which I've heard is the best weapon in the game if you have high Dexterity. Again, though, I don't know how useful it would be for the Gwn fight; it seems like you need a weapon that attacks quickly.

We do have a Dark Souls thread that's still quite active.

If you haven't done any other content in the game you should do that before beating Gwyn. Once you've done that you have to pick an ending and move on to ng+.

Black Knight shield would help a ton of you're dead set on blocking, thanks to its fire block. Would probably help the most out of any additional build/gear changes you could make.

How are you with parrying? Gwyn's one of the easier bosses to parry and is completely chumped if you can learn the timing.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

DS3: I'm about to start Road of Sacrifices and am wearing a full Solaire kit except sun sword/shield which I don't have access to yet.

Can anyone gift me those items somehow? Anyone got spares? +0 or +1 preferred. I wanna fashion souls it up earlier in game and don't know how people usually go about doing this.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Canvas talisman has the best spell buff/poise ratio.
I'm using a chime on my cleric though because mad king or earth seeker can already trade.

Lightning stake has a mini aoe that can roll catch and then start swinging.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Genocyber posted:

We do have a Dark Souls thread that's still quite active.

If you haven't done any other content in the game you should do that before beating Gwyn. Once you've done that you have to pick an ending and move on to ng+.

Black Knight shield would help a ton of you're dead set on blocking, thanks to its fire block. Would probably help the most out of any additional build/gear changes you could make.

How are you with parrying? Gwyn's one of the easier bosses to parry and is completely chumped if you can learn the timing.

Oh cool. I was trying to find a DS1 thread, but couldn't find one. I'll repost my question there.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
My pvp setup currently on my paladin is Lightning Arrow, Lightning Stake, Sunlight Spear, and Projected Heal. I don't really know why I have Sunlight Spear there anymore with the addition of Lightning Arrow, before I used it as a long range pressure tool/for when the opponent is distracted, but with that utility filled by Lightning Arrow I don't know. Maybe I should replace it with, like, Force, or something. Maybe Lightning Blade, since I've been rocking the SSS nowadays.

My paladin exclusively does team pvp though, because my idea for him was always as a tanky/support character, so your Miracle tools in 1v1 will probably be different.

EDIT: Speaking of pvp, I have 3 characters. My paladin, my quality build dude, and a pyromancy chick, and of those 3, the pyromancer is by far the most successful in pvp at the moment. The Demon's Scar and all the stuff a pyro has access to is just incredible.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 19, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You know.. I never understood why people wanted a boss rush mode in Dark Souls, since to me getting through the levels while fighting and looting everything is half the fun even on subsequent playthroughs...

...but I totally wish DS3 had a boss rush mode now :negative: The good fights in this game are so good holy poo poo but now that I'm better at the game they're over so quickly. I also wish ascetics were a thing because I'd love to be able to rematch Gael or the Champ without first having to play through 3/4 of the game :(

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Max Wilco posted:

Strip naked, one-hand a Black Knight greataxe with the hornet ring. Walk in, parry his leaping attack with your bare hand and murder him. Seriously, parrying him completely trivializes that fight.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Maleh-Vor posted:

Strip naked, one-hand a Black Knight greataxe with the hornet ring. Walk in, parry his leaping attack with your bare hand and murder him. Seriously, parrying him completely trivializes that fight.

Some of us are Parry-Impaired, and find this quite offensive.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Gwyn was one of the very few enemies I parried in ds1. It was the last bit of damage I did to him too. If you're already dying to him a lot might as well try to learn the timings

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Beating Gwyn when I didn't know how to parry was one of the most satisfying things I've done in a video game ever.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Node posted:

Some of us are Parry-Impaired, and find this quite offensive.

It's just a tad lewd, yes

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Augus posted:

Beating Gwyn when I didn't know how to parry was one of the most satisfying things I've done in a video game ever.
Getting past him without being able to parry on my SL1 club playthrough was certainly something. Granted, by the point you get to him you're already used to either rolling everything perfectly or dying in one hit anyway.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm debating making my next run a super heavy two hander run, a dual wielding run, or a single weapon with a parrying offhander. Do shields still have varying frames of parrying, like how the buckler has always been the best one? Or are all shields equal now?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Small shields are still better at parrying than medium shields.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

AFAIK it's the same as it's always been. Small shields and medium shields have equal number of active parrying frames, but small shields recover quicker so if you fail the parry you have more time to get out of the way. The few special parrying shields have more parrying frames than the other shields, but also more recover frames than even the medium shields, so you're pretty much guaranteed to eat a hit if you fail the parry.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thankfully the "partial parry" thing from the previous games seems to be a bit more generous this time around, so there's not AS much penalty for going too late or early as long as you're still parrying when you get hit.

edit: On my most recent character I made a habit of going for a parry when I knew I was about to be hit, because unless it's an attack that knocks you over you won't get stumbled by it if a "partial parry" happens.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 19, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Thankfully the "partial parry" thing from the previous games seems to be a bit more generous this time around, so there's not AS much penalty for going too late or early as long as you're still parrying when you get hit.

Depends on how hard the hit you're eating is. If you get a partial you still take stamina damage from the hit which can result in you being unable to do a riposte in time. Don't use the Caestus to parry, kids (unless you're perfect every time)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I ran into an "interesting" gank squad in the Spears fight. A host with two phantoms that did nothing but roll away and use bows. It was super annoying but their damage output was so bad they couldn't even kill one painting guardina.

Looked like a walking pin cushion by the end of the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I know that I'm on a dead comedy forum, but is it just me or is calling someone who likes a game you don't like an apologist a bit much?