Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

headcanon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

gently caress you Bookworm Adventures, that's a real word.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Looks like a drat Harry Potter spell

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

If you go back in time to prevent a murder, then that murder never happened, then you wouldn't have a reason to go back in time to prevent that murder, then you wouldn't go back in time and prevent that murder, therefore that murder happened, then you go back in time to prevent that murder, then that murder never happened...

Maybe by dumb Back to the Future rules.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

no
in
neo
den
yen
fan
dan
ya

incase you hadn't spotted them

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

My headcanon is that Dracula's castle is so cursed and chaotic that it uses impossible space and unnatural angles to be bigger on the inside than it could possibly be for a "man-made" structure.

I'm pretty sure that's just canon

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I forgot to mention: the name gets explained.

Jay Rust posted:

If you go back in time to prevent a murder, then that murder never happened, then you wouldn't have a reason to go back in time to prevent that murder, then you wouldn't go back in time and prevent that murder, therefore that murder happened, then you go back in time to prevent that murder, then that murder never happened...

It's more of a groundhog day deal, so you're going back whether you want to or not.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

no
in
neo
den
yen
fan
dan
ya

Thank you but the objective of the mini-game is to spell really long words, not get rid of the letters.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
maybe you should make a long word that's actually real then

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I a nude

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Undeify?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Eufidonia, come on man

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Help Im Alive posted:

no
in
neo
den
yen
fan
dan
ya

i
za
na
gi
no
o
o
ka
mi
tsu
ku
re

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
La Li Lu Le Lo. La Li Lu Le Lo.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
New avatar is good.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

New avatar is good.

legend of korra got a lot better after the first two lovely seasons

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

If we start talking about Korra I'm going to piss everyone off so I'll just say I was talking about CJacobs' avatar

(:thejoke:)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it is good!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thanks friends, Kaine rules :respek:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

If we start talking about Korra I'm going to piss everyone off so I'll just say I was talking about CJacobs' avatar

(:thejoke:)

I never beat the Platinum Korra game because one of the boss fights is done in the endless runner minigame and playing Simon Says for 5 minutes only to die thanks to your giant polar bear dog being a klutz was too much.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oddium posted:

i
za
na
gi
no
o
o
ka
mi
tsu
ku
re
todokete

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jay Rust posted:

what if you go back in time to kill the father who abandoned you and your child except due to complications you're now a dude

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

maybe you should make a long word that's actually real then

I'm not a pro but I do ok.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
When dealing with time travel stories, do you prefer alternate diverging timelines where the universe is constantly branching off in different ways, singular unified timelines where regardless of what happens everything stays in a single constant time flow regardless of what happens to it, or predestination/cyclical where the events of the future specifically shape the past into what it is in order to shape the future and influence the past

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
One of my friends can not wrap his head around single time line time travel stories because he just can't accept that free will might not be a thing. That's also the type I tend to like though because it's usually the cleanest.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FirstAidKite posted:

When dealing with time travel stories, do you prefer alternate diverging timelines where the universe is constantly branching off in different ways, singular unified timelines where regardless of what happens everything stays in a single constant time flow regardless of what happens to it, or predestination/cyclical where the events of the future specifically shape the past into what it is in order to shape the future and influence the past

whichever one primer was

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't like the predestination ones, they're by far the most confusing.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I know QFG2 has disowned everything relating to BS, but I find myself saying that Taco Time is the easiest way to explain how Breath of the Wild can take place in all three timelines simultaneously.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

A lot of people gave God Hand pretty bad reviews.

Me for one

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lurdiak posted:

I don't like the predestination ones, they're by far the most confusing.

Objection, Legacy of Kain was badass!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

When dealing with time travel stories, do you prefer

personally i like the perceived timeline where if you meet yourself, then you're simply in the timeline where you meet yourself. maybe it's a cop-out but it's also not so messy.

i guess that falls under multiple universes

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There's a thought experiment I've read before that I'll try recreating here, regarding single-timeline theory:

Say you invent a time machine. You also hate your life, and wish you were never born. You go back in time to kill your own grandfather before he conceived any kids. Proponents of a predestined, single timeline will say, "You can try, but you will fail, because your grandfather did meet your grandmother, and their child eventually gave birth to you. So you will not kill your grandfather because you did not kill your grandfather." So you'll kill the wrong person, or you'll die before completing the deed, or change your mind.

Now, since you managed to create a time machine, it's possible to travel through time, so let's say that lots of people filled with existential dread also created their own time machines. Hundreds of time travellers go back in time to kill their grandparents. Will each and everyone one them fail? Kill the wrong person? Die before completing the deed? Change their minds? All of them?

Because I would love to see that, throngs of time travellers falling onto rails, getting hit by cars, tripping over ledges

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
SMBC had a similar idea

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Timecop rules. If you're travelling and you change something, other people are affected but you're unchanged, since you're out of time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I prefer time travel stories to be done the Dark Souls way. Everything that's going to happen when you go back in time already has had its effect on the present- the necessary element is you going back in time in the first place to do it. Nothing changes when you get back, and the goal of going back in the first place is not to change the future.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 19, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The bit in Titanfall 2 where you get the wristband that lets you blink back and forth between the past and present is incredibly cool. I mean the fact that Titanfall 2's single player campaign was actually as high quality as it was is impressive enough but in a game designed to make you feel like an empowered badass that bit might have been one of the best moments.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

StrixNebulosa posted:

LoK was awesome but I don't think it was about predestination so much as it was that time and causality itself was a living, breathing, reactive thing which was super awesome.

"History abhors a paradox" is one of those moments that will stick with me forever. Such a cool idea, and so well executed.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Would you say that Hitler is the Kung Führer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Kai Tave posted:

The bit in Titanfall 2 where you get the wristband that lets you blink back and forth between the past and present is incredibly cool. I mean the fact that Titanfall 2's single player campaign was actually as high quality as it was is impressive enough but in a game designed to make you feel like an empowered badass that bit might have been one of the best moments.

That was a legit good single player mode and I'm surprised it wasn't thrown together just to tick a box.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I love the overdramatic lore of that series.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Kain mixed and matched it's time travel concepts. I mean there's certain aspects with predetermination but there's also parts where you do something and end up in a different timeline. It's not a single timeline thing like something like Interstellar where the plot only makes sense if there's one timeline where all the time travel aspects need to have always happened for the plot to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All the foreshadowing for stuff that doesn't happen until later games is cool in Soul Reaver, even though it's only there because all that stuff was supposed to happen in that one game before it got cut short.

• Locked thread