Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

gschmidl posted:

You have found her, the most obnoxious person on the internet.

I expect to be proven wrong within a day of this post.

quote:

This may have something do with this troper being raised dirt poor, fluent in multiple languages, a college athlete, rescuer of cute animals, of mixed race, fomer pro musician, a jack-of-all-trades, and has written scholarly papers on several widely disparate subjects.

I think we can parse this one.

'dirt poor'--trailer trash

'fluent in multiple languages'--English and whatever mom's dealer spoke

'college athlete'--batboy

'rescue cute animals'--found a kitten that really belonged to the neighbor

'mixed race'--mom has no idea who the dad is

'former pro musician'--friend's band got paid for a gig once

'jack of all trades'--knows which end of a hammer to hold

'written scholarly papers'--got a B+ on a paper about Neanderthals and a B on one about James Joyce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Thrifting Day! posted:

Here's a headline

"Goon Fails To Interpret Joke"

Fine. What about this one then?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
That's some ugly handwriting. Do they not give you line paper

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Catberry posted:

I had a science class in middle school that once a week we had to find a science news article and write a 100 word summary.

One time I ran out of things to write so I wrote "Also, I doubt that these are actually read and just scanned to see if they look long enough" in the middle and then kept going.

It went unnoticed and I proceeded to write more and more monkey cheese funny in 8th grade bullshit until something caught his eye and I got in trouble.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Catberry posted:

Wait, why is Midsummer not acceptable for the question?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Catberry posted:

A thing I know did happen was a contractor copy-pasting sf novels into the last third of multi-hundred-page software specs to check if anyone ever read them (nobody did).

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

chitoryu12 posted:

It's a comedy, not a tragedy. The question is asking about tragedies only.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Tired Moritz posted:

That's some ugly handwriting. Do they not give you line paper

Often times, no.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

It's a comedy, not a tragedy. The question is asking about tragedies only.

It just seems odd that they specified it above all other comedies. Did something happen at a production that they no longer speak of?

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

chitoryu12 posted:

It just seems odd that they specified it above all other comedies. Did something happen at a production that they no longer speak of?

The prompt mentions assigned texts, so I'd assume A Midsummer Night's Dream was the only assigned comedy the class had to read.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Speaking as an educator, the usual reason I'd make a restriction like that is if I had already used it as an example in class. Kids love having the opportunity to parrot your own words back to you instead of doing their own critical thinking.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

That doesn't even look like the same dog

or is that :thejoke:

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

TheKennedys posted:

That doesn't even look like the same dog

or is that :thejoke:

It's the same dog. The photo is washed out, and her ears are perked up.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

It's also a very good dog

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

chitoryu12 posted:

I imagine because kids would reply that it is not feasible in modern times, as that play is about fairies and goblins - they would give a low effort, negative answer ("fairies don't exist so it couldn't happen haha").

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

The key part that didn't happen was the happenstance nature of it all. A bored security guard fired up the NameTagger 3000 and made a badge for his dog, then presumably posted it on tumblr because what good is anything without the approval of anonymous Superwholockians?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
My guess is that the picture isn't related. A security dog had a badge made for him because that's adorable. A tumblr user decided to make it super wacky by posting that it was his friend's dog and it broke out of his house and got a job.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011

hyperhazard posted:

My guess is that the picture isn't related. A security dog had a badge made for him because that's adorable. A tumblr user decided to make it super wacky by posting that it was his friend's dog and it broke out of his house and got a job.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
In the health authority I work for, working animals actually do get ID cards made for them so employees know they're a Very Important Dog.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Danaru posted:

In the health authority I work for, working animals actually do get ID cards made for them so employees know they're a Very Important Dog.

Shouldn't it be a Very Important Pupper?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Danaru posted:

All dogs are very important dogs

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Thank god her father was there to not only explain feminism and the basic concepts of bodily autonomy to her, but to conclude that something must be mentally or physically wrong with her for wanting to take off her hijab!

Or, y'know, he wasn't, because this poo poo absolutely did not happen.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Danaru posted:

Same. The volunteer therapy dogs get volunteer name tags and little red scarf instead of a red jacket too. It's cute as hell.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Zelder posted:

All dogs are very important dogs

Assuming there was no cat available for the task.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

GreenMetalSun posted:

Thank god her father was there to not only explain feminism and the basic concepts of bodily autonomy to her, but to conclude that something must be mentally or physically wrong with her for wanting to take off her hijab!

Or, y'know, he wasn't, because this poo poo absolutely did not happen.

I can absolutely believe this happened. Saw it happen right in front of me when I was at a friend's house. His sister came into the living room, said she didn't want to wear her head covering, mom and dad said "So take it off? You're 18, it's your decision." And that was that.

No tumblr bullshit, no FB fishing for likes, just simple real conversation.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Zipperelli. posted:

I can absolutely believe this happened. Saw it happen right in front of me when I was at a friend's house. His sister came into the living room, said she didn't want to wear her head covering, mom and dad said "So take it off? You're 18, it's your decision." And that was that.

Women's rights in Islam. Stdh.

I mean, in plenty of families unveiling isn't an option. Otherwise they wouldn't veil girls when they're children.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Zipperelli. posted:

stdh.txt

Goons don't have friends.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

What a smart and awesome kid!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Zipperelli. posted:

Like with most things posted ITT, they probably do happen at least sometimes in real life. But when you see them posted all across the internet as the next ~viral~ thing you can safely bet it was just a staged reenactment "inspired by true events" at best.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Captain Monkey posted:

No lie that's the sort of dumb poo poo I'd have probably tried as a precocious kid.

I look back now and realise I was a massive bereavement when I was young.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Smith posted:

No lie that's the sort of dumb poo poo I'd have probably tried as a precocious kid.

I look back now and realise I was a massive bereavement when I was young.

I think you need to make a rule to look up the definition of any word with more than two syllables before you post again.

dead in real life
Jun 17, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

35k upvotes on reddit and counting. How are people this loving stupid?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

That looks like a kid's handwriting. I could easily believe a kid wrote that trying to be funny or wise. What's the stdh?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

dead in real life posted:

How are people this loving stupid?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
wow a whole lot of people in here trying to realize these fake stories

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

wow a whole lot of people in here trying to realize these fake stories

Yeaj, a lot of times some goon will come in and tell us all how they know this story is real because of the handwriting or whatever else. Its never really convincing. People just desperately want to believe other people I guess?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeaj, a lot of times some goon will come in and tell us all how they know this story is real because of the handwriting or whatever else. Its never really convincing. People just desperately want to believe other people I guess?

On the other hand, some goons will go in here to call something bullshit when it doesn't happen to fit their very limited life experience.

See: a few pages back when some non-programmer goons were convinced that rubber duck debugging didn't exist.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

LanceHunter posted:

See: a few pages back when some non-programmer goons were convinced that rubber duck debugging didn't exist.
:happened: You're referring to page 136 and there's not a single post there doubting the existence of rubber duck debugging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The STDH is coming from within the thread guys.