Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

BWV posted:

I really liked this article although this paragraph was cringe worthy...like something a journalist in a movie says.

If you're interested in more Kurt talk check out the Bruce Pritchard podcast episode on him. it's great

Any attempt to use Meltzer's ratings as some objective metric or bar is utterly asinine to begin with.

Meltzer knows they're subjective and doesn't push then as anything but such. He has actually said he'd like to stop doing them since they're entirely vestigial at this point, but it would piss so many of his paid readers off that he keeps at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A fun collection of tony romo hot takes through the years

Also this is a drop in the ocean of reasons that Bill Simmons is garbage but jesus christ

quote:

Tony Romo dumped Jessica Simpson for either partying too much (the rumored reason) or gaining too much weight (the real reason, or at least the one I’d wager on in Vegas), followed by Simpson partying even more and gaining even more weight. We might have a new Kirstie Alley on our hands; poor Jess suddenly is built like Kirby Puckett with breasts. (Not that this is a bad thing. I’m actually attracted to Zaftig Clingy No Self-Esteem Jess, my single strangest celebrity attraction since Renee Zellweger put on her Bridget Jones weight.) Did you ever think an NFL offseason could shape about 20 future Us Weekly covers? It’s happened, my friends. Sneaky weird.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DJExile posted:

A fun collection of tony romo hot takes through the years

Also this is a drop in the ocean of reasons that Bill Simmons is garbage but jesus christ

Bill Simmons wants to be Adam Carolla when he grows up.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/lindseyadler/status/850392735379009539

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I love the idea that Barnwell somehow invented the concept of taking bad contracts to get draft picks. It didn't happen much in the NFL but that was like 75% of NBA trades until very recently when the cap blew up and teams started putting way more value on first rounders

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

ESPN was mom's basement the hole time...

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I can't wait for the scene in Football Moneyball where the Browns execs finally buy into the idea that fumble recoveries are really just random chance, propelling the team to the Super Bowl

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I just came across this article about how wonderful Jose Fernandez was the other side of Jeffrey Loria (that side being the side that loves Jose Fernandez, who was wonderful). I don't even know what to quote because it's all so asinine.

Is Jerry Crasnick known for being an idiot, or is this article just exceptionally pointless?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/852999553943035904/photo/1

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

MourningView posted:

I love the idea that Barnwell somehow invented the concept of taking bad contracts to get draft picks. It didn't happen much in the NFL but that was like 75% of NBA trades until very recently when the cap blew up and teams started putting way more value on first rounders

It's kind of surprising that it took an NFL team so long to use this strategy when the NBA has been successfully doing it for over a decade.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
This was a fluke and not some new strategy. NFL teams can just cut dudes without giving up a draft pick on top of it. This was just the perfect storm of an immediate disaster. If Brock wasn't so bad they would have tried one more year and there would have been zero reason to tack a draft pick on any trade and more likely would just cut him.

NBA has guaranteed contracts and there's no reason for the NFL to backload guaranteed money.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

ESPN has a piece on Forest Trail Sports University, a for-profit school whose ideal was to have sports front and center, with an online cooperation with another college for academics.

quote:

"There" was Forest Trail Sports University, which promised a new kind of college experience, focused on athletics. And these players -- they have named themselves the Renegades, but Refugees would be just as accurate -- are survivors of its collapse. Arriving last August at the for-profit program, which charged a tuition of nearly $33,000, they were consigned to an old hotel, without adequate facilities, staff or supervision, on a campus where the threat of violence turned out to be more common than classes.

All the players taking the field have a story: The 6-foot-5 lefty starter had come to FTSU looking for another shot at impressing scouts but was rebuked for trying to eat more than a single Pop-Tart for breakfast; the second baseman found himself taking BP on a caged-in tennis court knotted with tree roots and branches; the third baseman discovered holes in his bed and mold in the air conditioner.

And as the story of Forest Trail's implosion makes clear, the baseball players were the lucky ones. Athletes in most other sports were abandoned by their coaches. Some had to deal with serious injuries without being able to get proper treatment. None played anything like a full schedule of college sports.

"Forest Trail messed with our families, our money and our emotions," says Anna Roets, Nick's mother. "These kids have been to hell and back."

Tuition was $33,000.

I can understand young athletes being hoodwinked, but it's odd to me that so many families trusted this school. Or were willing to pay installments to total $33,000 for their kid to hang on to a dream. I can understand being hoodwinked by Full Sail because success in those industries are harder to track with less of a clear-cut path. Any high school coach would be wary of this.

If your kid can't catch on for baseball at even a junior college level, your kid isn't going to make it.

I'm watching junior colleges give scholarships to players who can't hit .150 at a high school level because of what might be for his body type.

Even Strasburg was able to walk on collegiately after being an admitted awful (and lazy) high school player.

Hope the athletes can make peace with the likely end of their athletic careers.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 17, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, the motorsports world has been buzzing since a week ago when two-time F1 Champion (and F1 thread favorite) Fernando Alonso decided he'd be skipping the Monaco Gran Prix to race in the Indy 500.

Cue the hot take: http://racing.ap.org/article/column-so-what-alonso-racing-indy-500

Needless to say, some of the people who will be racing with him are not happy:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Have we gotten the "if she was a man, they would've called her first" takes yet?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
They all managed to disagree with her in a very polite manner, even saying they normally like her work, and she still got salty. drat.

It's pretty sad that this is the exception to how most women in sports journalism/media are treated rather than the rule.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The new Brian Windhorst/Dave McMenamin book on the Cavaliers championship is pretty skippable if anyone was wondering. You can read excerpts of the two most interesting sections here and here without having to slog through the blow-by-blow recaps of LeBron's Twitter. It's also just surprisingly badly written in parts, stuff that should have been caught in the first round of editing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

morestuff posted:

The new Brian Windhorst/Dave McMenamin book on the Cavaliers championship is pretty skippable if anyone was wondering. You can read excerpts of the two most interesting sections here and here without having to slog through the blow-by-blow recaps of LeBron's Twitter. It's also just surprisingly badly written in parts, stuff that should have been caught in the first round of editing.

Are any of these kind of books ever good? They've always seemed like very slapdash things just thrown together for a quick cash-in.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

DJExile posted:

Are any of these kind of books ever good? They've always seemed like very slapdash things just thrown together for a quick cash-in.

Not usually but every now and then you can get something worth reading like Seven Seconds or Less or A Season on the Brink.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Windhorst is such a weird journalist. He's not a particularly good writer and he doesn't really have much insight into what happens on the court. He's a great reporter but doesn't really break transaction news. Basically he's a very accomplished gossip reporter who writes about body language, instragram posts, flight records and narratives.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah, it makes sense given his background, basically just a small-town beat writer that rode a wave. His access is useful (people killed him for giving weight to LeBron's early comments about going back to Cleveland even though he was right to) but he's better off on TV. The book has basically no insight to it beyond "here's what happened"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DJExile posted:

For the life of me I can't remember who wrote it or what it's called, but somebody wrote a book about the Pistons winning in '89 that I enjoyed, it was basically a step by step detailing how Jack McCloskey put the team together. And I've never given a poo poo about the Pistons (although I enjoyed them stomping the Lakers in 2004).

Fake edit: this is the one https://www.amazon.ca/Franchise-Building-Champion-Detroit-Basketballs/dp/0688095739

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
A good book might be a book that encapsulates LeBron leaving Cleveland, then returning, losing the championship followed by winning it. The story already sounds fictional if you didn't know it was true.

But I could do without the vitriol of something like The Whore of Akron.

Just a book about LeBron, the Cavs, and the city of Cleveland from like 2009-2016.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bill Bradley at Deadspin has a great piece about how the Red Wings imploded, and is probably the first writer I've seen lay the blame exclusively at the feet of GM Ken Holland, right where it belongs.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

RC and Moon Pie posted:

ESPN has a piece on Forest Trail Sports University, a for-profit school whose ideal was to have sports front and center, with an online cooperation with another college for academics.

I read this the other day and was blown away by it. I mean, did no one think "maybe I should drive down and take a look before dropping this huge check on it."

Also, that knucklehead running the place couldn't spell for poo poo.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/ryanhatch/statu...a-rod-kids.html

what the gently caress, SI?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

morestuff posted:

He was hired because he was close to Lebron and would get the scoop on stories. He isn't that knowledgeable about basketball, doesn't break much news, and a poor writer. His ceiling should be beat writer in a third tier city.

These books aren't meant to be masterpieces. They are quickly thrown together by team-friendly writers that locals recognize for a quick buck. The Cubs have a couple books just hitting the shelves too like that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Is there a massive :wtc: because I need it now

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Niwrad posted:

He was hired because he was close to Lebron and would get the scoop on stories. He isn't that knowledgeable about basketball, doesn't break much news, and a poor writer. His ceiling should be beat writer in a third tier city.

These books aren't meant to be masterpieces. They are quickly thrown together by team-friendly writers that locals recognize for a quick buck. The Cubs have a couple books just hitting the shelves too like that.

Yeah, but even with his flaws as a writer you'd hope that access would produce something a little more interesting than what we got.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
like alex Rodriguez would gently caress anything other than a blowup doll that looked uncannily like himself

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

like alex Rodriguez would gently caress anything other than a blowup doll that looked uncannily like himself

One part :drat:
Three parts :perfect:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/854693280734490624

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh gods, this can only end well

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

iospace posted:

Oh gods, this can only end well

Well they got relegated to the deuce so

I've learned the only way to even listen to First Take is when Le Batard abruptly goes to them

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 19, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ELEMENTS

OF

PROVOCATION

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The only ads that make a shot less appealing than Undisputed are the ones for First Take.

It's literally Stephen A Smith getting increasingly mad/constipated for 30 seconds.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Take a LOOK, y'all:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I'm just wondering what angles Stephen A Smith, Ace reporter at large, has uncovered that the rest of the sporting media haven't

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I want SAS to become a conspiracy theorist. Imagine him narrating Loose Change :allears:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I'm just wondering what angles Stephen A Smith, Ace reporter at large, has uncovered that the rest of the sporting media haven't

"Have you considered that murder is in fact really really good? I love to murder."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

morestuff posted:

(people killed him for giving weight to LeBron's early comments about going back to Cleveland

And apparently that weight was returned to him.