Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

This alright?

p.s. I'm fully prepared to get laughed to death because of my poor mod load order, If it doesn't make my computer explode then it's fine in my book.

First suggestion would be to grab YUP, the unofficial game patch. It fixes a lot of things, including text issues.
What is GameSettings.esp? Number 11? What does it do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Arcsquad12 posted:

First suggestion would be to grab YUP, the unofficial game patch. It fixes a lot of things, including text issues.
What is GameSettings.esp? Number 11? What does it do?

Ok YUP is on, and game settings lets you change stuff like damage and things from the mod pause menu.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ok YUP is on, and game settings lets you change stuff like damage and things from the mod pause menu.

Okay, I was curious cus I've never used that mod before. Has YUP helped? Make sure it's at the top of the load order.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

Okay, I was curious cus I've never used that mod before. Has YUP helped? Make sure it's at the top of the load order.

Nah it's still not worked, never mind, I literally only need it for one mission which isn't an important one (camp mcarran Contreras supplies, need to wait two days to progress but cant progress because every day is Tuesday lol)

When I've finished the game i'll spring clean my mods, thanks for the help though :]

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nah it's still not worked, never mind, I literally only need it for one mission which isn't an important one (camp mcarran Contreras supplies, need to wait two days to progress but cant progress because every day is Tuesday lol)

When I've finished the game i'll spring clean my mods, thanks for the help though :]

I think you can still complete that quest by aiding Boyd instead and getting Contreras jailed.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

think i figured it out, it was an interface mod that added a clock onscreen (instead of checking your pipboy or wait screen) that was screwing everything up, seems to be alright now.

Whenever I would fast travel the game time would jump to : 1654646465111 pm 11.05.8496464

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 7, 2017

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
pretty excellent that you can accidentally mod your game to turn into groundhog day

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I am Tsundere.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

The perils of fannying about in the geck with no heed to the consequences!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Why

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
if someone modded in a nickname for Doc Mitchell why would it not be "mole butt"

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Is that the new Realistic Radiation Disfigurement mod?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Welcome to Gaysprings, home of the powder ganger finger bangers.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Hi there, I got this game recently but I haven't played it yet.

Are there any "must have" quality of life mods to play with? Or the vanilla game good enough?

I haven't played this game at all, so I want to know if I should play my first time with a few mods.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
jsawyer.esp is a lightweight mod created by a lead dev that fixes a few things. I don't think anyone would argue against jsawyer.esp. I would additionally recommend Project Nevada which adds things like optional bullettime, grenade hotkeys, loot tweaking, and a neat little implant system. I'm sure there are more but I would say those two at least are objectively good enough to recommend for a first play.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Id recommend Jsawyer Ultimate Edition over the regular mod. It's basically a rebuilt version that addresses several issues with the original. It requires New Vegas Script Extender (NVSE) and the JIP LN NVSE Plugin. Finally I'd suggest tossing Clarity into the mix as well. It removes the Piss Yellow tint the game has, very lightweight and better looking than Fellout.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Welcome to Gaysprings, home of the powder ganger finger bangers.

I would recommend installing whatever the hell this is.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I don't think thats a mod. I think thats just one dead guy dragged on top of another dead guy. We've all done this in at least one game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Upmarket Mango posted:

Id recommend Jsawyer Ultimate Edition over the regular mod. It's basically a rebuilt version that addresses several issues with the original.

I saw that, but I am always highly skeptical of people who take a mod and then "fix" it. It just looked too good to be true. Mods like that tend to break more than they fix, but I'd love to hear that this actually does deliver on what it promises. Personally if I were to play New Vegas again it would be with the full installation of Convergence. I played with a half-install once and it was great. I particularly enjoyed the added weapons in (I think?) FOOK. They are hidden very cleverly. I am very thorough when I loot places in these games so stumbling on a unique rifle hidden behind an otherwise innocuous filing cabinet was like gaming crack to me.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I don't think thats a mod. I think thats just one dead guy dragged on top of another dead guy. We've all done this in at least one game.

I spend more time modding new vegas than I do playing it, but I spend more time making my enemies look gay than modding new vegas.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I saw that, but I am always highly skeptical of people who take a mod and then "fix" it. It just looked too good to be true. Mods like that tend to break more than they fix, but I'd love to hear that this actually does deliver on what it promises. Personally if I were to play New Vegas again it would be with the full installation of Convergence. I played with a half-install once and it was great. I particularly enjoyed the added weapons in (I think?) FOOK. They are hidden very cleverly. I am very thorough when I loot places in these games so stumbling on a unique rifle hidden behind an otherwise innocuous filing cabinet was like gaming crack to me.

I'll admit I'm not very technical when it comes to modding but having used it extensively for some time now I feel I can say that it does what it says it does. It's jsawyer.esp, but with some extras and I haven't had any weird glitches or anything so mission accomplished on that front I guess.

Is FOOK pretty good on it's own? I never took the plunge and tried it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I only used FOOK in the context of Convergence, so its hard to say what it kept and what it didn't. The main draw for me was all the new weapons and armor pieces that were added into the loot lists and stuff, as well as unique weapons and armor hand-placed in the world. Little things like the ability to wear masks and sunglasses at the same time. Its definitely a labor of love. Convergence even more so, every mod included in Convergence is good, though I have heard bad things about A World of Pain. Anyone here played World of Pain lately and want to comment on it?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 15, 2017

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Changed veronicas face, thumbs up?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

It doesn't look like a 12 year old with huge tits, so you're ahead of the game from most Veronica replacers.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Is there any way to use a modded NPC face for your own player character?

The mod(ncr overhaul) uses custom textures for the faces it replaces so I think you need to do a bit more than tick the facegen thing in the Geck. But I'm not really sure.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I grabbed a bunch of mods and hosed around with a ton of settings. For the most part things are fine, but I'm having one irritating issue - I often experience severe choppiness and slowdown in my inventory. Specifically it occurs when mousing over weapons and armor in my inventory, especially armor, and even moreso when equipping armor. Makes it really annoying to do almost anything in my inventory.

In addition to the mods listed below, I also have NVAC, Stutter Remover, Vanila UI Plus, Ojo Bueno texture pack and the Enhanced Shaders ENB set, and NVSE 4GB. I'm thinking of doing a different run now anyway, with JSawyer or one of the other overhauls, so if I can fix this now's the best time. Anyone have any ideas?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

theshim posted:

I grabbed a bunch of mods and hosed around with a ton of settings. For the most part things are fine, but I'm having one irritating issue - I often experience severe choppiness and slowdown in my inventory. Specifically it occurs when mousing over weapons and armor in my inventory, especially armor, and even moreso when equipping armor. Makes it really annoying to do almost anything in my inventory.

In addition to the mods listed below, I also have NVAC, Stutter Remover, Vanila UI Plus, Ojo Bueno texture pack and the Enhanced Shaders ENB set, and NVSE 4GB. I'm thinking of doing a different run now anyway, with JSawyer or one of the other overhauls, so if I can fix this now's the best time. Anyone have any ideas?

I have most of what you've got on that list and nothing bad is happening to me. Lings or Puce Moose are the only things I can think of that stand out as really different.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
That kind of slowdown is possibly due to the amount of scripting working in the background. The engine barely holds together by itself.

I don't think it's happening due to shaders or huge texture packs at least. Perhaps you have a significant number of different items added by mods. Custom quests can contribute to the problem too but according to that picture you have them disabled. If they or other substantial mods were disabled mid-playthrough then there's the chance they may have left orphaned rubbish behind, there should be mod tools to check and clean up orphan scripts.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Once you get deep enough into the game and accrue enough stuff the game can hitch when populating the inventory. If I play for more than 20 minutes I'll inevitably "skip" for about 2 seconds every time I open a container.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Got a link to that? Doesn't look half bad.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

Got a link to that? Doesn't look half bad.

Did it myself but didn't keep it for long :/

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fair enough. If I was any good using the GECK to make faces I'd take a shot myself.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I think it was accumulated cruft, plus I did mess around with mods on an existing save (always a bad idea).

Then I went mad with power and spent another two hours completely redoing almost all of my mods and started a new game. Now I have a bajillion different things running, but at least it's not lagging yet!

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

Once you get deep enough into the game and accrue enough stuff the game can hitch when populating the inventory. If I play for more than 20 minutes I'll inevitably "skip" for about 2 seconds every time I open a container.
That can be fixed by running a script that purges the cell buffers. There's few mods that do that.

Delacroix posted:

That kind of slowdown is possibly due to the amount of scripting working in the background. The engine barely holds together by itself.
The vast majority of scripts should only run during gameplay though and not while in menus.

@thesim: Try using the pcb console command when you have that slowdown again.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 2, 2017

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

Fair enough. If I was any good using the GECK to make faces I'd take a shot myself.

I've uploaded the file to nexus mods : http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/m...review%3D&pUp=1

unfortunately the site seems to be spazzing out right now and it's driving me crazy, let me know if I've done everything right or if it's not working.

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010
I've been following the steps of the Fear and Loathing in New Vegas guide, and I've reached a section that doesn't make any sense. Under the "Merging Cut Content" section, step 10 talks about doing something in FNVEdit which doesn't seem possible. It says:

quote:

click record 00134094, then drag line BMDT - Biped Data from the YUP - Base Game + All DLC.esm column, to the right, Cut Content Merged.esp column.

I can't find anything labeled record 00134094, and drag-and-drop doesn't seem to be an option in FNVEdit. What am I not getting?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

You need to reticulate the splines.

Use the little search box up at the top left to find that record, then drag it and drop it like they say. Im on a computer without tesedit and I don't read other modding guides, so I can't really help you any more than that.

Edit: You can drag and drop within the right pane.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I loathe coming back to a modded Bethesda* game and not have everything work perfectly. I don't remember the specifics of half the mods installed and there are so many things, tiny details or ini entries that could be at fault. ENB takes it to another level.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Other than the Someguy series and Autumn Leaves, what are some examples of good mod quests? I'm playing through the complete Someguy series right now but I'm not sure where to go from there.

I've also already done Project Brazil (in its early form where it just has an empty sandbox land after you escape the Vault), Beyond Boulder Dome, Afterschool Special, DEIMOS (which glitched out on me and became unwinnable), and Dog City Denver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Boom to the Moon seemed pretty rad but apparently you can do things wrong easily and miss out on a lot of the dialog or something? I did it wrong, so I'm probably gonna try it again sometime.