Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
goddamn the fifth palace's music is driving me insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

http://personacentral.com/persona-5-dlc-costume-image-gallery/

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm super glad I got the futaba's lines trophy literally in the final boss battle

I presume it's the most actively hassling trophy to get

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Why is Morgana dressed as Aigis and not Koromaru

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Why is Morgana dressed as Aigis and not Koromaru

Cats hate dogs.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Which confidants do you not get a bonus with for having a matching persona?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The automatic ones (Fool, Magician, Justice, and Judgment), Sun, and Moon

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PirateBob posted:

Which confidants do you not get a bonus with for having a matching persona?

Aside from the auto leveling ones, definitely Moon, Sun, and Strength. I believe all the others use the normal point system.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Captain Baal posted:

The automatic ones (Fortune)

Justice, not Fortune.

Also Strength

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dragonatrix posted:

Strength, not Fortune.

I think they meant Justice, actually

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Idk why but my brain immediately trades off Justice for Fortune, go figure

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I think they meant Justice, actually

Yeah, realised afterwards when I noticed Sun/Moon categorised separately :v:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Relin posted:

Yeah, there's a few floors they reliably show up on, with some unfortunate overlap. You can use a treasure trap from crafting and certain weather conditions to up their spawning frequency.

I got the hope diamond after about an hour, though I should really be saving my tedium complaining for the Passionate Listener cheevo. That's going to be the real slog, creating situations where she says things over and over again ahhhhhhh

Ah, well that'll still be a pain trying to go in on one of the like 2 rainy days by then, or going in dry and it taking forever, and either way I'll have a very limited number of days to work with, well maybe not that limited if I've done my confidants right.

I got Futaba's lines tropy during the Mementos trip I did right before Palace 7, or the quick dip in I did to complete literally one request and pop out right after P7? I think it was around then. I'm pretty sure I was in mementos because I remember thinking "wait, is it counting the times she SCANS the mementos level because this'll take forever" and then I got it like right after that. I wouldn't sweat it, it's a large number but any time she's popping up to say anything it counts towards it, so basically any time you get a status effect or crit by an enemy it should be +1. I think it comes quicker than you may expect, but I'm sure I also got into way more fights than I had to in general.

Enemies after Palace 7 really spam you with status effects, so that ought to raise you up quite nicely. I may have benefited from playing on hard where the enemies are bigger assholes to me though, and I think I saved a 2-section mementos trip for some time after Futaba joined so that can only help.

bewilderment posted:

Holy poo poo, did I miss an opportunity somewhere or does the game seriously not let me into the next layer of Mementos between palace 5 and 6?

Also, is there any downside to doing palace 6 ASAP or should I maybe hang out in Mementos first to clear out my requests?

The only downside to doing any palace early, game efficiency wise, is that you might be underleveled for it if you haven't snuck in a solid trip to Mementos, which you really only need to do every other palace. Of course, you can make a palace much easier by doing lots of confidant hangouts or a mementos trip before hopping in to it. I did a few of my palaces last minute and you'd be surprised how much added goodies two weeks of hanging out can add to your arsenal when taking on a palace, especially when doing it in one day.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Does empress always rank up or did I just get really lucky picking Haru responses that she just ranked up every time anyway

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Haru does not always rank up, but she is incredibly easy to do so with

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Ryuji is dope and so are momentos

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I now have Affinity Reading and there is no force that can stop me from being the Best Friend to all.

Also I really pity anyone who tried to go through the fourth Palace without Neko Shogun, because Anubis really is as horrible as everyone said. On top of his full-party nukes and Hamaon, his agility is so high that even Lucky Punch can't reliably down him.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
5th dungeon music is giving me DDS vibes real good. It's a big dungeon but I'm not having super issues thanks to having phys/gun repel personas, enemy shadows having accessible weaknesses and being high enough level walking in to insta-kill some groups.

Getting ambushed is not good though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Gorp posted:

It's fine I should stop arguing in black boxes anyway.
I have a feeling that I have a good 3 more pages left in me and that I wouldn't be convinced by the end of it. Let us make this thread a place for people to talk about Persona 5 without being scared off by spoilers.

If you want to keep talking about it without black boxes, the spoiler thread might be a good place. I'm sure people who want to discuss the story aren't tired of it yet, so go ahead and post there. (I might have a reading that someone hasn't brought up that you might at least find interesting, if you want to keep chatting about it.)

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
It's insane how many balance problems this game has

I know that's par for the course, but the intersection of easily obtained mountains of cash, the Strength Rank 10 ability, Treasure demons, and the way the Gallows works, means that you have to actively choose not to become an invincible death machine

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Instant Grat posted:

I know that's par for the course, but the intersection of easily obtained mountains of cash, the Strength Rank 10 ability, Treasure demons, and the way the Gallows works, means that you have to actively choose not to become an invincible death machine

I don't consider this a problem.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Something I wanted to know before buying DLC costumes - when can you use them?

I can see in battle from the videos, and I assume in dungeon exploration, but what about walking about Tokyo or visiting Confidants?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

That's less of a "balance problem" and more of an inevitable consequence of knowing how the game works.

Aside from Digital Devil Saga, every SMT endgame for me has consisted of choosing which omnipotent deities I want to mow down all my enemies with.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

it's because you stink of poo

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

geri_khan posted:

Something I wanted to know before buying DLC costumes - when can you use them?

I can see in battle from the videos, and I assume in dungeon exploration, but what about walking about Tokyo or visiting Confidants?

It's everything dungeon-related apart from cutscenes.

Also, be aware that at least the free DLC outfits have a bug that fucks up the characters' faces whenever they're summoning their personas in battle. It's harmless, it just looks really dumb. If the paid costumes are like that too, I wouldn't advise buying them.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
They also didn't change the animations at all, so Joker will still occasionally fiddle with his gloves while you're running around, even when he's not actually wearing gloves.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Oxxidation posted:

That's less of a "balance problem" and more of an inevitable consequence of knowing how the game works.

Aside from Digital Devil Saga, every SMT endgame for me has consisted of choosing which omnipotent deities I want to mow down all my enemies with.

Without balance how does SMT expect to compete in the world of e-sports?!?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gonna weigh in a small bit re: Gorp's thoughts

(Endgame) Yaldabaoth is not humanity's desire. Yaldabaoth is humanity's desire for an apathetic existence. Like every other demon, he cannot move outside the realm of what he exists as. No matter what, Yaldabaoth would be a force that would attempt to pacify humanity, until a strong desire for change would birth another demon that would represent humanity's desire for a rebellious existence (Satanael).

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I think Daisoujou is the first time I've re-summoned a Persona after fusing another one specifically because I wanted it back.

All the returning SMT3 Fiends are pretty great Personas. White Rider with Triple Shot carried me through Palace 5.

And now I have a Valkyrie with both Speed Master and Attack Master so things are pretty easy with my Mementos trip pre palace 6. Glad I did that one after all to get used to the current party lineup.

twistedbutterfly
Jan 20, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

what do you mean all of them. there's more than just Jack Frost?!

Yep. There are 4 more, or at least that is as many as I have been able to collect since Jack Frost.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Terper posted:

(Endgame) Yaldabaoth is not humanity's desire. Yaldabaoth is humanity's desire for an apathetic existence. Like every other demon, he cannot move outside the realm of what he exists as. No matter what, Yaldabaoth would be a force that would attempt to pacify humanity, until a strong desire for change would birth another demon that would represent humanity's desire for a rebellious existence (Satanael).

Gorp is also forgetting the entire basic premise of Persona 4's climax, which is that cognitive beings are materializing as real entities. Also, when people deny their Shadows, their Shadows go berserk and try to kill them.

Apply that on a global scale and you get Yaldabaoth. He's really nothing too different from what Izanami was and she could definitely exist whether humanity wanted her or not. Again, your conscious desires have no real impact on your id, which may in fact be creating your conscious desires without even realizing it. Any further inquiry in this regard requires studying psychology.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

twistedbutterfly posted:

Yep. There are 4 more, or at least that is as many as I have been able to collect since Jack Frost.

What? I've only seen 4 different Jacks total, Jack-o-Lantern, Jack Frost, King Frost and Black Frost. The fusion calculator also only has those four.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Crane game toys, not demons. I've only seen like 3 crane game things personally, though I probably missed one then.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
God I wish this game had the series specific Jack Frosts

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Terper posted:

I think what's important about this is that Yaldabaoth is the Gnostic Demiurge. This is basically what I wanted to see what Gorp thought of:

The Gorp posted:

The general portrayed idiocy of the public and the bar rising at the end disagree with you. Its heavily implied through pretty much any instance the party looks at the online poll that people are total morons, which also would further the significance of Yaldabaoth being that publics self-destructive and slothful side made manifest.

The phantom thieves gain 100% support and his response is "I actually don't care about the public", when up until this point he always argued that this was all for the masses. I understand that him being a slimy guy who doesn't take accountability for his actions is a reason to dislike the antagonist, but it just makes him even less understandable in this case. If this still sounds wrong than you've indeed pinned down one of my biggest confusions, but it's what the game seems to be implying.

You gotta think of Yaldabaoth through the lens of Gnosticism. As the Gnostic Demiurge, he thinks he's God but he isn't God--and he has no way of knowing that. He cannot see the truth. He believes himself to be a divine, benevolent creator. In reality, he's basically a blind, stupid child playing with God's toys, a power-mad, selfish, fickle half-god who is nonetheless tragically convinced of his own righteousness. He's obsessed with rules, even when those rules are wrong, and at the same time, he's a hypocrite and will change the rules on a whim without even realizing that what he's doing is anything but righteous or ordered.

Doesn't that sound exactly like your targets? How many of their shadows are convinced that what they're doing is right? How many of them use truths about society to build a rule system that they live their lives by? Yaldabaoth is the targets writ large on a (pseudo) divine scale.

Yaldabaoth might have been born of the public's desire for "someone else" to handle it--after all, he believes he's the perfect being to take care of what society sees as its problems--but befitting his role as the Demiurge he believes he knows better than the public will. It's worth noting that the public will does override him--he just doesn't accept that, because he thinks his will is the right one and therefore the superior one. He's blind to it, because he's the Demiurge, and all he can see is his own twisted righteousness.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Looking over these DLC costumes, some of them are pretty drat inspired. The Devil Summoner set is great but the Catherine set is the goddamn best. I'll totally do a DLC hard mode 100 percent run at some point for sure, especially if I get battle music from all those respective titles along with the costumes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want to dress Joker up as Vincent, I don't know the rest of the outfits, but I certainly don't want to pay the large amount they want for it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I wasn't planning on it, but I'm a sucker for the battle theme that comes with the if... costumes so I shelled out for that. I'm gonna get my hands on the Catherine DLC too whenever that hits.

twistedbutterfly
Jan 20, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Crane game toys, not demons. I've only seen like 3 crane game things personally, though I probably missed one then.

There is Jack Frost,the weird security mascot from Shinjuku, the Big Bang Burger face, a sheep from Catherine, and one other weird rabbit/animal keychain thing. I am unsure where the last one comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I want the inevitable rerelease to give me a Sojiro costume just like the Dojima one in P4G. Let Joker infiltrate Palaces in a white jacket, pink shirt, and a Panama hat.