Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

CelticPredator posted:

I hate that loving movie.

Hate Neon Demon!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Mrs Boat and I saw Neon Demon opening week and there were about a dozen people in the cinema. One couple left less than an hour in, well before it went full on bonkers.

We both loved it and she's not much of a Refn fan.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lord Krangdar posted:

Hate Neon Demon!?

Hate hate hate:

Score is dope though.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i have heard australian and american cinema audiences are v different - generally in aus i find it pretty good and quiet and generally decent snacktimes

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Australian audiences are like adults who watch quietly and enjoy the movie without bothering everyone around them. American audiences are like a big group of children, all noisy and braying but enjoying themselves immensely. Not sure which is better though I prefer the first, but both seem to have a good time.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Midget Fist posted:

Australian audiences are like adults who watch quietly and enjoy the movie without bothering everyone around them. American audiences are like a big group of children, all noisy and braying but enjoying themselves immensely. Not sure which is better though I prefer the first, but both seem to have a good time.

I watched Prometheus at the iMax at the Melbourne Museum and the only time anyone even made a peep was during the medpod scene. It was a fantastic experience. Everyone was so locked-in, and since it was a late-night showing, there weren't many snackers.

Death to cinema snackers!!!1111

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 19, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
In the grim future of 40K there is only gogurt in cinemas.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Death to cinema snackers!!!1111

I've always made sure that I open whatever bags or wrappers I have before the movie starts so I'm not making crinkling sounds every ten minutes.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Midget Fist posted:

American audiences are like a big group of children, all noisy and braying

This is too good.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Basebf555 posted:

I've always made sure that I open whatever bags or wrappers I have before the movie starts so I'm not making crinkling sounds every ten minutes.

This is what I do during those pre-trailer ads.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Do you Americans actually do the 'shouting at the screen' thing? I've seen it in films with scenes set in a cinema and always assumed it was one of those lovely, done to death cliches with no basis in reality.

Do you also scream out loud when you are reading a book with an especially dramatic scene? What's the generally accepted social rule for this? If I visit your fine country, would it be a faux pas if I hollered at full volume whilst on public transport?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I went to see Star Wars 7 in Dubai, in a theater filled with probably American expats. They clapped any time someone from the OT appears.

Watching Get Out in Bayswater, an immigrant-heavy area of London, was fun. There were a lot of cheering in the last part of the movie.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
One more month till some loving aliens

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Maybe some hubris if we're lucky.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BeigeJacket posted:

Do you Americans actually do the 'shouting at the screen' thing? I've seen it in films with scenes set in a cinema and always assumed it was one of those lovely, done to death cliches with no basis in reality.

As an American, it does happen, but rarely. It remember it happening in Jurassic World and Shin Godzilla. Both were packed theaters, if that changes anything.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

BeigeJacket posted:

Do you also scream out loud when you are reading a book with an especially dramatic scene? What's the generally accepted social rule for this? If I visit your fine country, would it be a faux pas if I hollered at full volume whilst on public transport?
LOL people don't read books here. Public transit, though? Check yoself

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BeigeJacket posted:

In the US you are literally aloud to go say "AAAWWW!" very loudly any time an animal appears on screen.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

So stoked for Covenant I probably won't hear any dialogue I'll be too busy hollerin' at the screen.

Hey quick question do theaters in the UK pause movies when it's tea time?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Dinosaurs! posted:

I'm afraid they don't :(

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Dinosaurs! posted:

no but on the queens birthday everybody gets to see "the queen" for free

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

You must be sick and tired of waiting for your free 1/3 of LOTR once Charles is up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Godzilla 2014 was incredible to see in a packed theater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UFWdwx3mjU&t=57s

The reaction in my theater was very similar. Everyone lost their drat minds and it was loving cool!

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Schwarzwald posted:

As an American, it does happen, but rarely. It remember it happening in Jurassic World and Shin Godzilla. Both were packed theaters, if that changes anything.

What kind of little bitch country wouldn't yell "SUCK IT DOWN" when the big fish ate the bad t-rex?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
When Danny McBride punches the Alien in the face you bet your rear end they'll be a tear in my eye and cries from the audience of "MURICA!!"

Electromax
May 6, 2007
If I got a question during a movie, best believe I'm loudly asking it repeatedly to the people nearby.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I've got a custom-modified megaphone that I take with me to the theatre, so I can shout my sick rifftrax right at the screen at 100 decibels. It's got built-in strobe lights that go off when I pull the megaphone trigger, and a bunch of built in sound effects like an air horn, "generic sitcom laugh track", yakety sax, etc.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Xenomrph posted:

I've got a custom-modified megaphone that I take with me to the theatre, so I can shout my sick rifftrax right at the screen at 100 decibels. It's got built-in strobe lights that go off when I pull the megaphone trigger, and a bunch of built in sound effects like an air horn, "generic sitcom laugh track", yakety sax, etc.

It's not pretty but somebody's gotta do it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Whenever a ghost appears in a movie I always make sure to loudly ask "WAS THAT A GHOST?" two minutes after the scene ends.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Do theaters in New Zealand have special seating for kangaroos? LMAO

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Xenomrph posted:

It's great when you blast a sick burn and the audience unanimously gets up and starts applauding, a single tear of joy and appreciation in every eye, as the hotties in the audience queue up to give you a bj

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I want to make fun of New Zealand all the time so badly but can't because it's a nation that gave us both Bad Taste and Dead Alive/Braindead.

Kulkasha posted:

It's great when you blast a sick burn and the audience unanimously gets up and starts applauding, a single tear of joy and appreciation in every eye, as the hotties in the audience queue up to give you a bj

That happened to me during BvS I was like Lex's jar of piss....is a perfect metaphor for this moie!!! I know it's not that funny but I guess you had to be there as the timing was perfect as right after I said it the audience unanimously got up and started applauding, a single tear of joy and appreciation in every eye, as the hotties in the audiences queued up to give me a bj.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 20, 2017

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Theater commentary from small children in animated movies is the best because they're not trying to be funny or edgy, its sincere, and often (unintentionally) funny as hell.

The only adult that has ever made me appreciate their commentary in the movie theater was during Final Destination, when the blonde girl gets hit by the bus unexpectedly, some black guy at the back of the theater just yells out, and I quote:

"DAAAAAAMN, bitch got hit by a BUS!"

The whole theater was laughing their asses off. Both before and after that moment, no one made a peep the entire time. It was so perfect; it remains my favorite part of that movie.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I just like to yell "Don't open that door!!!" during movies that have nothing to do with horror.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

Whenever a ghost appears in a movie I always make sure to loudly ask "WAS THAT A GHOST?" two minutes after the scene ends.

I do that every time a new character shows up in any movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I find it a vital part of the movie-going experience to loudly hope that it's not Chris' blood immediately after any cinematic depiction of bloodshed.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Probably my favorite theater moment of all time was when a guy in the very back row who had somehow snuck in like ten beers in glass bottles accidently knocked all his empties over and they came rolling down the concrete steps underneath the seats, completely drowning out the movie until they finally came to rest at the bottom level of the theater. Afterwards there was a moment of silence and then from the back row "haha whoops"

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

When my wife was younger she and some friends snuck in a big bottle of southern comfort into a packed theater. She accidentally kicked the bottle over, which was about 2/3 full, and it noisily clanked and rolled down the entire theater under the seats, spilling a trail of soco behind it. Not only was the racket distracting but the whole theater smelled like soco.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

When my wife was younger she and some friends snuck in a big bottle of southern comfort into a packed theater. She accidentally kicked the bottle over, which was about 2/3 full, and it noisily clanked and rolled down the entire theater under the seats, spilling a trail of soco behind it. Not only was the racket distracting but the whole theater smelled like soco.

Sounds like a real soc-oh no!

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
My wife and I saw drag me to hell in a mostly empty theater, and about two rows behind us was an elderly black couple. The man was an amazing stereotype except his comments were gold. Everytime the lead had something happen to her, he'd yell put about "that's what happens when you take an old woman's house you dumb white girl." Lots of stuff along those lines. My favorite was after the kitten scene. "If that girl lives at the end I'm going to make a sequel and kill her was to avenge that kitten." Needless to say he clapped like crazy at the end.

I bought the film later on and, although I really like it, no viewing has lived up to that first one. Dude had us cracking up the whole time.

And yes his wife was pissed by the time it was over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Seconding that little kids in movies are hilarious. I saw Kung Fu Panda in a theatre full of small children. When the villain looks like he's defeated by the five, there was an audible gasp of relief from every child there, followed by a shout of alarm, when they quickly realise that he is in no way defeated and is charging up the fallen bridge. It was a reminder of how much the viewing experience changes when you're less media literate, when you can't see all the plot beats from half a mile off.