Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Even on its so far perfectly regular schedule, The Wild Storm just isn't enough for me, I want more. More!

The retrieval going tits up and ensuing action scene was great but really, I could just read Jenny pootling about the world in all its various forms all day.

Nice touch with the Martian Manhunter cameo too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Sentinel Red posted:

Even on its so far perfectly regular schedule, The Wild Storm just isn't enough for me, I want more. More!

Me too, maybe go easy on the spoilers until my comic shop opens, okay?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It's Wednesday and the shops are open dude.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Sentinel Red posted:

It's Wednesday and the shops are open dude.

It's not even seven freaking am dude

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Superman is good go buy it. I shouldn't have to keep saying that but I will.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

purple death ray posted:

It's not even seven freaking am dude

I'm EST, so it was 7:30AM when I posted. My shop doesn't open 'til 11, and I'll be there by 10:30 and they'll open up early. I'm not waiting around on getting my books.

It's not hard to use spoiler tags, Sentinel, so have a little mercy. Most of us wont get a chance to read their issues until after work tonight, I'm lucky enough to have most of the day free.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus Christ I read every major release 12 hours ago and you don't see me ruining people's mornings.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Jesus Christ I read every major release 12 hours ago and you don't see me ruining people's mornings.
Only because I don't go to your shop!!!!!!!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Y'know, I think Lana's turmoil in Superwoman would've been a little more believable if even one of the preceding issues of her series had been straight up superheroics, and not a deep dive into mental health, grief, and dealing with terminal illness. Which isn't to say those aren't interesting topics, but it would have been nice to see her enjoy having super powers before being mopey over not having super powers.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Guys, forgive me if I'm wrong but has it not been the BSS rule for years now - Wednesday is fair game, no need for spoiler tags. And it was past noon where I am so :shrug:. You want to petition X-O for a new rule that explicitly says nothing untagged until Thursday instead then by all means, do so and I'll comply. Otherwise please stop being moany old buggers. It's not even like any of the actual important plot stuff was revealed anyway...

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If there has to be a rule to tell you not to be a dick before you know not to be a dick I guess you're probably kind of a dick

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Sentinel Red posted:

Guys, forgive me if I'm wrong but has it not been the BSS rule for years now - Wednesday is fair game, no need for spoiler tags. And it was past noon where I am so :shrug:. You want to petition X-O for a new rule that explicitly says nothing untagged until Thursday instead then by all means, do so and I'll comply. Otherwise please stop being moany old buggers. It's not even like any of the actual important plot stuff was revealed anyway...

How hard is it to use a loving spoiler tag? People do it all the time for poo poo that's been out for months.

It's just common sense not to be an rear end in a top hat. Some people don't buy their poo poo as soon as their shop opens because they have loving jobs and lives. Hell, I may not buy my stuff until I get back from vacation. It's just polite not to ruin it for everyone. But if you can't fathom that, maybe Rhyno needs to ruin poo poo for you in return.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I get off work at 2:30, probably get home with my comics at 3:30, and then I have to finish my research paper before I read anything. :smithcloud:

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Roth posted:

I get off work at 2:30, probably get home with my comics at 3:30, and then I have to finish my research paper before I read anything. :smithcloud:

Academia sucks,bro

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

pubic works project posted:

How hard is it to use a loving spoiler tag? People do it all the time for poo poo that's been out for months.

It's just common sense not to be an rear end in a top hat. Some people don't buy their poo poo as soon as their shop opens because they have loving jobs and lives. Hell, I may not buy my stuff until I get back from vacation. It's just polite not to ruin it for everyone. But if you can't fathom that, maybe Rhyno needs to ruin poo poo for you in return.

He's not wrong that it's a rule to not use spoiler tags in discussion threads.

But it's also common sense to refrain from posting spoilers at 7 AM.

(I don't personally care since I'm weeks behind on comics - Booster Gold/Flintstones wasn't very good and the Jetsons preview did a good job of ensuring I don't buy the series! - but I understand that other people do.)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I work all day Wednesday and then have classes at night so Thursday has become my Wednesday comic book day. I still refer to everything I do on Thursday and my Wednesday routine.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Part of the logic of "no spoiler tags on Wednesday" is that you make a conscious decision to enter a thread discussing current comics on a New Comics Day and so if you come into (say) a Spider-Man thread on the day a new issue of Spider-Man comes out you should expect people to be talking about the new issue of Spider-Man and if you haven't read it yet it might not be a bad idea to not check in on the conversation about a book you don't want spoiled. Though given the trend over the past few years for these catch-all megathreads, I can see the attitude of "I don't care about BUTTON BUTTON WHO'S GOT THE BUTTON spoilers but I also don't want The Wild Storm spoiled" which does make things more confusing.

I know I personally avoid these threads if I really don't want to get spoiled on a book I might have to wait hours/days to read.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Edge & Christian posted:

I know I personally avoid these threads if I really don't want to get spoiled on a book I might have to wait hours/days to read.
While this is true, I think there's a little wiggle room for someone insomnia-surfing at 4am PST.

"WELL it WAS like 6am my time" is really a dick excuse, his enthusiasm aside.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm bummed about Jon's neighbours revealed as evil/Watchmen/whatever but Superman was incredible. Gleason was on fire.

edit: and it was on an end of page post, so I'll repeat that The Button kicked off great. If King is in charge of the main event, we might have nothing to worry about.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 19, 2017

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Wild Storm spoilers did not affect my enjoyment in the negative at all. Issue was definitely kicking things into a higher gear. I never read the old stuff, but I feel like it's getting closer to form. And I like it. So pretty, and a lot of slick design choices that help to give it a unique feel.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Agreed, I was feeling terribly skeptical of the button business, but this first issue has turned me around on it.
The button has gone from :upside-down smilie: to :)
Also, the comparison between comics and hockey is pretty apt. Some fans show up out of loyalty to nostalgia/brand/legacy, others for entertainment, and some just want to see a bloody fight.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

Part of the logic of "no spoiler tags on Wednesday" is that you make a conscious decision to enter a thread discussing current comics on a New Comics Day and so if you come into (say) a Spider-Man thread on the day a new issue of Spider-Man comes out you should expect people to be talking about the new issue of Spider-Man and if you haven't read it yet it might not be a bad idea to not check in on the conversation about a book you don't want spoiled. Though given the trend over the past few years for these catch-all megathreads, I can see the attitude of "I don't care about BUTTON BUTTON WHO'S GOT THE BUTTON spoilers but I also don't want The Wild Storm spoiled" which does make things more confusing.

There's no real rule for spoilers now that I can see.

I think maybe we could have something like a 2 day rule where spoilers have to be marked? Or even bring back the bought and thought threads each week where spoilers have to be marked, and leave these threads open for unmarked spoilers?

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Teenage Fansub posted:

edit: and it was on an end of page post, so I'll repeat that The Button kicked off great. If King is in charge of the main event, we might have nothing to worry about.

Just finished that and holy poo poo that was a fantastic issue. I don't know the backstory with that hockey game. I assume this is a callback to some prior event that I didn't read, or just forgot about if it's a Watchmen thing.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Returning after Green Lanterns to whoop and holler about it, too. After a shaky start, it's become one of my favorite DC comics and I'm glad it comes out twice a month.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If the comics are out then it's free reign. E&C has it right, if you don't want spoilers on Wednesday don't come into that thread. That being said people can be a little more respectful on exactly what they post so early on Wednesdays. And the Wild Storm post above clearly stated it was about Wild Storm before it spoiled anything, you could have stopped reading after that first sentence.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Shovelmint posted:

Just finished that and holy poo poo that was a fantastic issue. I don't know the backstory with that hockey game. I assume this is a callback to some prior event that I didn't read, or just forgot about if it's a Watchmen thing.

I don't know if there's anything to it other than Saturn Girl being from the future and remembering an infamous hockey game as the tipping point for bad stuff.
Someone theorized The hockey stick and circle opening make a countdown clock, though :)

Edit: I mean, historically. There's definitely a deeper point to it. The announcer questioning "fun" and all.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 19, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Eobard...! Noooooooooooooo...!!!

Holy poo poo. That issue of Batman was....AMAZING!!!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
What exactly did people enjoy about Kitty Genovese on Ice: The Comic? I've sort of accepted that people are going to be fans of Nick Spencer's Cap and there have been lots of conversations about that, but Tom King's Batman is just so.. faux profound/clever? Is that what people are enjoying, or is there some other aspect of it I'm missing? The entire inciting incident of the comic is "oops I put down one fart machine next to the other and it made a LIGHTNING FART? Oh no, now I'm being attacked for 60 panels".

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Him playing around with evil other-dimensional evidence in the open was admittedly a dumb part of it.

Edit: But yeah, I think most people would echo your thoughts on the run generally. I'd be surprised if anyone could say they were completely into King's Batman.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 19, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I haven't read it but I got enough Watchmen shenanigans out of Trinity and possibly even Superman this week. I think they've way overplayed their hand with Mr. Oz at this point and I feel he's probably not Ozymandias anymore because every time they bring him up they make it really try to seem like he is. Superman was really good again but the stuff with the neighbors was kind of lame and disappointing. Are they supposed to be related in some way to the Watchmen as well? Or do these writers even know what they're writing toward at this point?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

I haven't read it but I got enough Watchmen shenanigans out of Trinity and possibly even Superman this week. I think they've way overplayed their hand with Mr. Oz at this point and I feel he's probably not Ozymandias anymore because every time they bring him up they make it really try to seem like he is. Superman was really good again but the stuff with the neighbors was kind of lame and disappointing. Are they supposed to be related in some way to the Watchmen as well? Or do these writers even know what they're writing toward at this point?

You are making this sound like Countdown/Death of the New Gods all over again. Please please please don`t be Countdown/Death of the New Gods

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Madkal posted:

You are making this sound like Countdown/Death of the New Gods all over again. Please please please don`t be Countdown/Death of the New Gods

I'm not trying to suggest that, I just hope everyone is aware of where the finish line with this Watchmen stuff is. I mean it seems like a rather important issue of Trinity for a fill-in writer to be on with it dealing with the drastic fallout of Superman Reborn and working on the build to the Watchmen story. I just hope they actually filled him in so he knows what he was writing towards.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Trinity.

gently caress you DC. You don't need to rub in our faces that Superbro is gone :argh:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, it would be much better if he was never, ever mentioned again and especially never referred to as "Superbro"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Edge & Christian posted:

What exactly did people enjoy about Kitty Genovese on Ice: The Comic? I've sort of accepted that people are going to be fans of Nick Spencer's Cap and there have been lots of conversations about that, but Tom King's Batman is just so.. faux profound/clever? Is that what people are enjoying, or is there some other aspect of it I'm missing? The entire inciting incident of the comic is "oops I put down one fart machine next to the other and it made a LIGHTNING FART? Oh no, now I'm being attacked for 60 panels".

The main thing I've enjoyed about King's Batman is the presentation usually feels very interesting to me, even if the substance itself isn't that great.

That issue where Bruce and Bane's lives are mirrored in the panels for instance.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Roth posted:

The main thing I've enjoyed about King's Batman is the presentation usually feels very interesting to me, even if the substance itself isn't that great.

That issue where Bruce and Bane's lives are mirrored in the panels for instance.

I have to agree with this. I don't think the writing is particularly bad or anything, but what sells the book for me is how cinematic it feels. The bit two issues ago where Bane realizes he's been duped and the lightning flashes illuminate Batman opening the door and luring him into Arkham was really slick.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah this week was maybe a tad heavy with the "Rebirth" plothreads, having...four?...maybe even five counting Justice League?...books with their four/five different writers dealing directly or indirectly with it in different ways (there was also a little dash of it in Superwoman this week) (and, ugh, I hate that I'm gonna say it 'cuz I really like Phil Jimenez, but that book is already kinda better with another writer at the helm). I don't quite get the impression that writers don't know what they're doing (except Bryan Hitch...I get the constant impression he doesn't know what he's doing :xd:), it's just that they're five different writers writing about a plot that they're not allowed to actually resolve in any substantial way yet, so at this point we're kinda ending up with multiple series going "Wow, things are sure mysterious. Tune in next week to find out if they're still mysterious! Spoiler alert: they super are!" all at the same time.

And yeah I'd agree that King's Batman has a really interesting presentation with pretty flimsy substance, though I wouldn't exactly say that in a complimentary way. I thought this issue was fine, but it's really not hyping up King as some stellar writer for me. The thing about his..."idea"...of Batman is that this guy seems to be constantly overwhelmed by every little encounter he has and seems to just barely manage to pull through these perils with sheer gumption or violence, and I'm not sure that totally jives with the stuff I like about Batman. It was really cool here when he attacked Thawne's feet, like, oh yeah, he's using strategies! He's totally on top of this!...but then his "strategy" turns out to be just punching Thawne some more, stalling for time...and then when he's managed to stall for that time, lol oops, turns out he miscalculated anyway. That's...kinda dumb, dudesters.

That sequence with Thawne at the end was pretty :stare:, though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So Thawne's actually back now? Maybe that'll give the Flash series a bit of a jumpstart as the speeder stuff in there got real dumb before I dropped it. I might pick it back up if there's going to be a Thawne story coming out of all of this.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
He popped up to fight Batman a little, picked up the Comedian button to figure out what its mystery was, got transported somewhere, came back disintegrating in blue fire. He dead lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

He popped up to fight Batman a little, picked up the Comedian button to figure out what its mystery was, got transported somewhere, came back disintegrating in blue fire. He dead lol.

Well. That sucks.

I'm sure it'll be undone but it still kinda sucks.

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 20, 2017