Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
to some dark souls 2 was worse than hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I know that I'm on a dead comedy forum, but is it just me or is calling someone who likes a game you don't like an apologist a bit much?

Shocking that a guy with a bunch of irrational opinions about DS2 is melodramatic about people disagreeing with him.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Internet Kraken posted:

Shocking that a guy with a bunch of irrational opinions about DS2 is melodramatic about people disagreeing with him.

The guy who didn't make an hour and a half long video critiquing someone else's youtube video is more melodramatic than the guy who did? Really?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
RE; farming covenant items. The grind isn't too bad but if you're on PC I'd suggest just going offline and using cheat engine to save yourself an hour or two of busywork unless you really, really want like five sets of silver knight armor and all the ghru daggers you can carry.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

The guy who didn't make an hour and a half long video critiquing someone else's youtube video is more melodramatic than the guy who did? Really?

hbomber's video isn't about Matosis' video exclusively. He asked people what critcisms they wanted to see adressed and so many people pointed him towards Matosis' video though so several sections were devoted to refuting it. It came across as weirdly personal, which I guess was for the sake of "comedy", but it still didn't make up the whole thing.

Of course I didn't say either person was being more melodramatic than the other in the first place.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
They'll both be hollow before you know it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean, fair enough, but I don't think a one-sentence reply really constitutes someone being melodramatic.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Apologist seems like a very dramatic way to describe someone enjoying a game you didn't to me.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't blame Matthewmathosis for being done with explaining his position on Dark Souls II, to be clear, what I'm a bit concerned with is that a videogame critic with a dedicated fanbase that parrots all his points has embraced this kind of rhetorical device. In fairness, he might have done it jokingly, seeing as I don't think goons that used similar wordings actually mean it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is this still accurate? Post-Irrithil it seems a little low in my experience

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Recommended+Level+by+Location

by which I mean I tend to be a lot higher leveled at that point.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I know people probably think it's useless now that Friede's is a thing, but I've been playing around with the Pontiff Knight Greatscythe and it's really good. Weighs half of Friede's, A scaling in dex unupgraded, and has a really neat weapon skill. It buffs the weapon with frost and has a pretty big AOE around you when you activate it that can proc frostbite on an enemy immediately. The buff also adds a ton of frost buildup to your attacks if you miss your for with it, so it's still super easy to proc it. It has innate bleed too and the combination of bleed and frostbite can really tear through an enemy. The regular scythe moveset is good too.

I've won like three invasions against low health parry-spammers by running up to them and using the skill as they​ parry pointlessly and get ice cubed. (The animation is also wonderfully fancy)

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

double nine posted:

On PS4 I've found more coop at endgame at level 100. I think those levels are a bit low for mid game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

double nine posted:

Definitely feel like they're low, yeah.

On my runs I like to clear out everything and fight all the enemies I encounter, and I'm usually ~SL80+ around the Archives without trying (i.e. just leveling naturally).

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

pmchem posted:

DS3: I'm about to start Road of Sacrifices and am wearing a full Solaire kit except sun sword/shield which I don't have access to yet.

Can anyone gift me those items somehow? Anyone got spares? +0 or +1 preferred. I wanna fashion souls it up earlier in game and don't know how people usually go about doing this.

The sunlight shield is traded for a medicant staff to pickle pee, and the sword is found in the dragon barracks outside lothric castle

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Okay, first off... that ending was kind of offensive. I know Miyazaki was eager to end the series, but come on, man.

Secondly, I'm noticing some things I didn't notice on my first playthrough. For example, when you enter the Undead Settlement, and go to where Yoel is, you can see a collapsed part of the bridge with a dead drake on it. Near it is a corpse with an item. What is that item, and when do you get it? I probably got it on my first playthrough, but it didn't occur to me where that was.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

Apologist seems like a very dramatic way to describe someone enjoying a game you didn't to me.

It seems like you're reading way too much into a single word.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Node posted:

Okay, first off... that ending was kind of offensive. I know Miyazaki was eager to end the series, but come on, man.

Secondly, I'm noticing some things I didn't notice on my first playthrough. For example, when you enter the Undead Settlement, and go to where Yoel is, you can see a collapsed part of the bridge with a dead drake on it. Near it is a corpse with an item. What is that item, and when do you get it? I probably got it on my first playthrough, but it didn't occur to me where that was.

That's above the old wolf bonfire.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The item is lightning spear

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
What's the ~lore community~ consensus on why Black Knights are where they are. Untended Graves is whatever, but why one in Farron Keep guarding a coal?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
probably bc it's cool to fight one there

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
uh uuuuuh i mean they have a deepseated allegiance with the abyss watchers if u read between the lines, why didn't you know that, idiot

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
B-team put them there

because of Velka

Miyazaki is a hack

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

IronicDongz posted:

uh uuuuuh i mean they have a deepseated allegiance with the abyss watchers if u read between the lines, why didn't you know that, idiot

Velka!!! :argh:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
*in hushed whisper voice* long ago...

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What I want to know is the lore significance of those rotating trees in DS1. I don't know their official name, but based on their location and the fact that DS3's Curse-Rotted Greatwood is clearly connected to Velka (Curse = Sin = Velka) I've taken to calling them "Velka Trees". Why do they turn? Are they perhaps trying to face the holy site of Velka's domain but perpetually turn around because, in reality, everything is Velka's domain? Their color seems evocative of the 'うんこ' from Japanese mythology, often associated with sin which is another very interesting correlation.

Please like and subscribe, and don't forget to follow me on Patreon.com to help me keep making these posts.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Your Computer posted:

What I want to know is the lore significance of those rotating trees in DS1. I don't know their official name, but based on their location and the fact that DS3's Curse-Rotted Greatwood is clearly connected to Velka (Curse = Sin = Velka) I've taken to calling them "Velka Trees". Why do they turn? Are they perhaps trying to face the holy site of Velka's domain but perpetually turn around because, in reality, everything is Velka's domain? Their color seems evocative of the 'うんこ' from Japanese mythology, often associated with sin which is another very interesting correlation.

Please like and subscribe, and don't forget to follow me on Patreon.com to help me keep making these posts.

No idea as to the lore, but curserotten is clearly an attempt to make amends for bed of chaos. Tree-based enemy, hit the weak points, weird claws.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

As the Chaos Pyromancy spell descriptions suggest, the Witch of Izalith was an rear end girl. She'd take a man with a nice rear end any day of the week. When the Chaos Flame consumed her, it acted on her deepest subconscious desires, and looked at all these undead dragons lying around and said, "Man, that is some A+ booty" and as the flame exploded outward and consumed Izalith, it split every dragon in half and destroyed their top halves, leaving only butts remaining. But there was one zombie dragon unlike all the others, whose butt did not draw the Witch's eye. He had been labeled an abomination and cast out, long before flame did consume Izalith. Forced to wander the land, alone, he stumbled upon a particular painting. A voice echoed out, "O abandoned, forgotten rear end, without any home to call its own. Let this painting be your shelter. Be at peace here, amongst the unwanted." And in a gust of snow, the rear end disappeared into the painted world, but the rest of dragon remained. Without even an rear end to sit on, it fell into the Valley of Drakes, where it would sleep forevermore.

Prepare to cry.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

mary had a little clam posted:

What's the ~lore community~ consensus on why Black Knights are where they are. Untended Graves is whatever, but why one in Farron Keep guarding a coal?

The black knights were just in random places in ds1 too. Why is he staring at a blue tearstone ring? Why is he just on a tower?
Guess they didn't know what to do with themselves after the linking

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The black knights were just in random places in ds1 too. Why is he staring at a blue tearstone ring? Why is he just on a tower?

I think they were supposed to wander in ds1 but it was too difficult to implement? Or they ran out of time and money because they reached too high and were cast down for their sin.

Velka again, basically.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

gently caress Velka what happened to Flame God Flann

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
4th time doing Midir(beat him once solo, twice as a summon for others, and currently doing him again on NG+) and honestly I can't believe anyone, let alone multiple people, told me this boss is a more fun, better done version of a dragon fight than king of the storm

it takes gently caress-billion years to do no matter what, none of his attacks are very fun to dodge and half of them land him 100 miles away from you so you have to sprint full-tilt after him for like 30 seconds in order to hit him once and do lovely chip damage before he starts attacking again

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

gently caress Velka what happened to Flame God Flann

According to the :airquote:lore community:airquote: he got cucked.

This is not a joke.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The lore community is the joke

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

4th time doing Midir(beat him once solo, twice as a summon for others, and currently doing him again on NG+) and honestly I can't believe anyone, let alone multiple people, told me this boss is a more fun, better done version of a dragon fight than king of the storm

it takes gently caress-billion years to do no matter what, none of his attacks are very fun to dodge and half of them land him 100 miles away from you so you have to sprint full-tilt after him for like 30 seconds in order to hit him once and do lovely chip damage before he starts attacking again

you need to hit his head, not his legs.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

IronicDongz posted:

Aiming to hit his head makes the fight very different.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Your Computer posted:

whoaa maeks u think

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

IronicDongz posted:

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I believe Black Knights are like dogs and they just sort of do things arbitrarily.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

double nine posted:

you need to hit his head, not his legs.

Maleh-Vor posted:

Aiming to hit his head makes the fight very different.
:jerkbag:

of course I've been hitting his head it still takes goddamn forever because he has huge defenses and HP and his whole moveset is annoying

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Like silver knights just bark at anything that comes close to their home even though the place is basically empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

double nine posted:

No idea as to the lore, but curserotten is clearly an attempt to make amends for bed of chaos. Tree-based enemy, hit the weak points, weird claws.

Perhaps even more to the point: you hit it repeatedly in the nuts. A nice little metaphor for taking out your prior frustrations with Bed of Chaos.