Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lucky 383

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
sometimes you encounter an unexpected gem in mdbg / ccdict entries

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
Apparently in Sichuanese 日本人 can be read as "gently caress me." With 日 being taken to mean gently caress and 本人 meaning the person in question.

(日本人 means Japanese person normally.)

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Let us English posted:

Apparently in Sichuanese 日本人 can be read as "gently caress me." With 日 being taken to mean gently caress and 本人 meaning the person in question.

its true

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Heh, this time discussion got me wondering how my company managed to get Chinese offices to follow the basic rules of:
1. Every email must be answered within 1 hour (during their business hours)
2. The answer must not be complete poo poo, i e the vaguest answer you can give is "I'll have your answer in 24 hrs, have some rest"
Also, they've somehow exterminated the "do the needful"

Most frustrating experiences were with the French, both in terms of English proficiency (possibly faking bad English to be left alone) and them being any kind of useful. I suppose French office is in heavy Italian mode.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Meanwhile in D&D:

fart simpson posted:

In fact I doubt you've ever actually seen someone doing that and you're just making it up.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Maybe I should go to China to work? I'm always thinking that people should just take a rest rather than having all these deadlines.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
I'm glad to see people saying 'take a rest.' For some reason Korean ex-pats lose it over this particular phrase and will insist up and down that a native English speaker would never say it, ever.

Though, at least Korea had running water and electricity.

Pirate Radar posted:

Meanwhile in D&D:

Thankfully unrelated to this thread's derail.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

The best thing about a train in Japan being late is them handing out the tickets explaining that fact so that your boss doesn't get mad at you for being late. :3: I loved that.

Why bother with a note when you're late for sleeping at your desk?

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

very clever with maracas posted:

my neighbour decided to let three rando airco guys carrying gas cylinders into the home and fix their non-broken air conditioner for three hours, then paid them for it.

"But Moe, we don't know anything about Burmese air conditioner repair!"

"Quiet, you knucklehead!"

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

So the power outage that was supposed to be from midnight to 1 AM, will last until 9PM. Their work projections was only off by a factor of 21.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Let us English posted:

I'm glad to see people saying 'take a rest.' For some reason Korean ex-pats lose it over this particular phrase and will insist up and down that a native English speaker would never say it, ever.

People are saying it here only to mock EELs though.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
Is anyone in HK or familiar enough with HK and willing to answer some questions via email for an old student of mine? Probably like nightlife and cool places type questions. He's a korean currently in Guangzhou and a pretty good kid.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Okay, so I'm really curious. I was under the impression that most of the fighting was done by the KMT while the CCP waited things out.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

nickmeister posted:

Isn't any of this true? Pulled from Quora.

Not really. You could reasonably say that the CCP was more aggressive offensively with guerilla operations in Japanese occupied territory, but that was only possible thanks to the bulk of Japan's attention being devoted to facing off against the KMT's more conventional forces. There were a heck of a lot more bombs dropped on Chongqing than Yanan.

E: maintaining huge defensive garrisons cost a lot more money than having guerilla forces living off the land in enemy territory. The resulting financial burden was rougher on the KMT and meant even if they wanted to reform taxes and help peasants like the CCP was doing it would have been extremely difficult. So if you want to say the KMT was shittier circa 1945 that's entirely reasonable but you should recognize why they ended up there.

P-Mack fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 19, 2017

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Oh god. I'm Hong Kong guy now. First thing before I even get my work morning coffee, my boss is like, "Glenn​, I know it was an awkward position to be in but you really handled the problem before it became one .... We have a 9:30am call with HK. We will be doing this every Wednesday."

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Let us English posted:

lol I read this as "nihonjin" but now I know to make sure never to write it towards a Chinese woman!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Glenn Quebec posted:

Oh god. I'm Hong Kong guy now. First thing before I even get my work morning coffee, my boss is like, "Glenn​, I know it was an awkward position to be in but you really handled the problem before it became one .... We have a 9:30am call with HK. We will be doing this every Wednesday."

Excellent (for us not you). Please continue posting especially when that woman starts seriously trying to destroy your life.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\/\efb

Glenn Quebec posted:

Give him a copy of "Poorly Made in China" and say that it's 75% applicable to Hong Kong.

Also, like a few people have said, you made a new enemy who is not going to forget any of this because you caused her to lose face. Make sure that you always keep a running log of all phone conversations (take notes while/as soon as you are done talking), save your emails, and log any contact whatsoever (texts, etc.) so that you always have a clear picture of what is happening to show your boss, or throw back in HK girl's face. You can expect at some time she is going to go behind your back and contact your boss directly to try and throw you under the bus. I don't know what these 9:30am calls to HK are going to look like, but if they are conference calls, she will try and point out some "mistake" you made in front of everyone to try and make you lose face.

Watch your back.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Blistex posted:

Give him a copy of "Poorly Made in China" and say that it's 75% applicable to Hong Kong.

would you as far as to say that hong kong is 70% china, 30% britain?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yep, keep obsessive records of everything. She is going to keep trying to undermine you until the end of time and if you move to a new job make sure nobody ever tells her anything about it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep, keep obsessive records of everything. She is going to keep trying to undermine you until the end of time and if you move to a new job make sure nobody ever tells her anything about it.

<have personally watched a Korean head teacher brute force a phone book for a week in order to badmouth an English teacher moving to a new job>

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Detailed, detailed CYA notes, every meeting.

And next time your salary is up for renegotiation, you know what to mention.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I believe the expression is Pyrrhic victory.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Let us English posted:

I've lived in Australia, the UK, Canada and the USA and I've never had someone say 'Take a rest' in this context.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
victory with chinese characteristics if modern history is to be believed

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Glenn Quebec posted:

said it before, will say it again, hire me. I check up on this retarded thread several times a day, i can check up on your retarded satellite office

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Glenn Quebec posted:

Hahaha, you're the Haier of international office relations.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Outrail posted:

I've lived in Australia, the UK, Canada and the USA and I've never had someone say 'Take a rest' in this context.

I wonder why "take a rest" is so much more popular than "take a break" or "relax for a bit." They're both easy and sound much better. I suppose "take a rest" translates more directly to Chinese and Korean?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe its people whose only exposure to english is through TV and they think people say "dont have a cow man"

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 19, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Heh, this time discussion got me wondering how my company managed to get Chinese offices to follow the basic rules of:
1. Every email must be answered within 1 hour (during their business hours)

That's a bullshit rule that I would happily ignore.

Unless they get like three e-mails a day

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

nickmeister posted:

I wonder why "take a rest" is so much more popular than "take a break" or "relax for a bit." They're both easy and sound much better. I suppose "take a rest" translates more directly to Chinese and Korean?

it makes me feel so fresh

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

it makes the colorful life

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
When I take a rest I am so funny and scary

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Grand Fromage posted:

it makes the colorful life

it is a very famous thing

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
I like to play football it is very interesting.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Blistex posted:

/\/\efb

Also, like a few people have said, you made a new enemy who is not going to forget any of this because you caused her to lose face. Make sure that you always keep a running log of all phone conversations (take notes while/as soon as you are done talking), save your emails, and log any contact whatsoever (texts, etc.) so that you always have a clear picture of what is happening to show your boss, or throw back in HK girl's face. You can expect at some time she is going to go behind your back and contact your boss directly to try and throw you under the bus. I don't know what these 9:30am calls to HK are going to look like, but if they are conference calls, she will try and point out some "mistake" you made in front of everyone to try and make you lose face.

Watch your back.

This thread now has almost everything. Now we have some serious backstabbing and office politics plus the Haier experience.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Gorilla Salad posted:

I believe the expression is Pyrrhic victory.

How likely is it that Glenn could come to HK like the wrath of god and just clean the stables with a few public executions?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

JaucheCharly posted:

How likely is it that Glenn could come to HK like the wrath of god and just clean the stables with a few public executions?

Thats why if you want to work in global you need tobe higher up so that people fear you instead of view you as a mosquito.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
TINY DANCER

I posted months ago about going on a date with a super fit dance instructor lady in mid-to-late forties. She was really sexy and in shape, but I felt like she was using me in some way, and I am cheap, so I said I was busy whenever she asked me for a second date. Eventually she asked me to just cook for her because I think she could tell I wasn't wanting to go out. I still said I was busy. Finally, she pestered me to teach her English for an hour and she'll pay me AND bang me. I said yes like three or four times, and then on the day of meeting said I was busy.

Today I finally went through with it.
I cleaned my house a little more than I usually do, and waited for her to show up around 10am. About five minutes before she arrived, my stomach was like "DUDE, GUESS WHAT???" I heard from multiple people that soy products on an empty stomach = the squirts. I had had some spicy doufu and nothing else yesterday for lunch, and now I could feel it was coming back. She arrived, looking drat good, carrying a big bag of gift fruit.
We started talking and she was smiling and in a good mood, I could immediately feel my stomach was like "T-Minus 30, 29, 28..." I tried to smoothly get out of it, grabbing my lighter and a box of incense and walking backwards towards my bathroom with the half-glass door for no sound-proofing. I was about to tell her I'd be right back when I thought I was going to explode, and I just held my stomach and said "BAD STOMACH, GOTTA W.C. NOW." She nodded and picked up her phone. Chinese know the drill.

I ran the shower hose into my flush bucket (squatter) and let that absorb the sound while I rained hell, which splattered on my bathroom slippers and legs. It got everywhere except where I was hoping to put it, and I had to spray the whole place down with water and spray some bleach. I lit two incenses and was choking on the smoke, and even through it I could smell the poop stink. I think "abominable" fits it perfectly. After I flushed I had to have a full lower-body shower and wash with soap every part of me that got splashed.
I come out, no longer wearing pants, just my underwear and wet legs, and she's smiling at me. Maybe she heard me. Maybe she was amused at seeing me like this. I have no idea. I was worried it wasn't over, but I tried to roll with it.

We pull out the English lesson book and all she really wants help with is phonics and pronunciation. We go over words, how to count syllables, basic phonics, etc. She said her Chinese English teacher told her that phonics are useless, and she never knew that English had syllables. LMAO. She paid for those lessons.
We are sitting so close that we leaning on each other, and I can tell she keeps doing that close lean-in for a kiss thing, and I keep pretending not to notice. Eventually, I kiss her and don't waste time to put my hand right on her crotch. She goes nuts immediately and says she wants it. I asked her to go to the bed and she immediately just drops her shorts and hops in, not shy at all.

Now, I have been with a few women, but this one was unique for China and in my life. She's almost 47, extremely petite, and her job is basically yoga + aerobics six days per week, six-eight hours per day. She's much, much fitter than any girl here half her age, even the fake gym bunnies. She's one of the fittest women I have ever seen naked IRL, with visible abs, beautiful face, full lips, toned everything, and freshly shaved. This is a woman that has kept herself fit for the past twenty-plus years by exercise and diet. This was like my Chinese holy grail of women, and was instantly in my top-two of finest women I've been with

So, if the diarrhea was to set the tone for the day, I knew the fun wasn't over yet. Last night, in anticipation of her coming over, I decided a couple rounds of JO were in order, hoping I could last longer. She's older, but I felt I wanted to prove to her my youthful prowess and give her something to remember. Well, I realized at that moment while looking down on this beauty that I had done one too many, and my guy was tired as hell. To spare the details, no matter what I did, my dick was as limp as a Mike Tyson opponent post-match. I could not get him to wake up. I wasn't nervous at all, I had none of the mental complications a guy with ED would have. I had simply over done it. I was "pushing rope," or as Chinese say "wet worm," and that was it. It was actually amusing as hell to see it just flopping against this shaved cave without any care. I don't even know how I got he condom on, but somehow I did.

"I swear this never happened before!" It hadn't. She scoffed. "They all say that!" Finally, I grabbed him and held him so he was kinda-inflated, and stuffed him in there. Ok, so now I learned she was tight as hell, too. That got me going. Everything was fine for about twenty minutes until we changed a position and he slipped out and immediately went soft again. We both laughed, it was so lame.
Eventually, I limply finished and she complained she didn't have a climax. My plan totally backfired on me and now I look like a huge loser to this blazing hot woman. It was fine by me. We laid there for a while until I said I had to work, and she had a shower and left.

I tried to make up some excuses after she left, but she said she hopes I come to her house for an English lesson some time soon. I don't know if I will. It's nothing about my ego, because I have so many others who will vouch for me, but considering I denied her so many times already, I feel like now I really have nothing else to prove. She got the spaghetti buffet treatment and I think that will be more memorable than had I done better.

Tl;Dr: Got my first full-blown limp dick and I am okay with that. At least she didn't make me fear for my life or my safety, and I also didn't poo poo the bed, so it's a win-win.

• Locked thread