Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Starcrash is probably a good starter one in the same vein as Space Mutiny or Pumaman. Half decent production, in colour, one or two recognisable actors, and the movies are bad, but not in an unwatchable way, because there's usually something silly or charming about how it's failing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I appreciate that we got a "Jim Henson's __________ Babies" joke in Beast of Hollow Mountain. The classics never go out of style.

e: Watch out for snakes! :haw:

e2: Oh god Jonah in the fashion show

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 19, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's so odd getting used to the new voices

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jonah Ray was a really good pick and I'm thinking he'll end up ahead of Joel for me.

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006
I'm ambivalent about Gypsy because on the one hand I'm happy whenever we get more women riffing but on the other hand I loving loved her old voice and she's basically a completely different character now.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, I look forward to seeing more of her. I hope next season (fingers crossed) they give Synthia a little more to work with. It's eerie how much she looks like sci-fi era Pearl (lots of people thought it was her!) and I feel like someone with Rebecca Hanson's background could actually do a lot with that beyond "Initiating hug."

Wait that's not pearl, hoooly poo poo.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Turtlicious posted:

Wait that's not pearl, hoooly poo poo.

That's how they were both able to appear in the same shot in the final episode. It helps that apparently Pearl's reaction to aging was to cover herself in five layers of makeup and use an obvious hair dye.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Jingle!

Kinga and Max grooving to Dinosaur BBQ was gold.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

It would be fun getting a Mads riffing segment when they switch positions for whatever reason.

I could see Kinga opening the next season in the theater to keep the ratings going why she scrambles to recapture Jonah

Antiquated Pants fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 19, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Time Travellers wasn't terrible, even though it was basically a rip-off of George Pal's The Time Machine. Though, I loved how a lot of the special effects were basically magic tricks and it actually portrayed time travel in a clever way.

Still, those androids. :stare:

The riffing is incredible. This is like a second Season 6 so far.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Jingle!

Kinga and Max grooving to Dinosaur BBQ was gold.

Honestly, that episode is maybe my favorite of the season. I love Cry Wilderness and The Time Travelers for having that MST3k flavor (the first is is batshit crazy, and the second is decent-but-riffable), but The Land that Time Forgot (a schlocky-yet-enjoyable movie on its own) is where other aspects really fell together for me and I felt like it could have easily been an MST3k episode from the heights of the old seasons: the skits land (MOON 14!, "I still think I'm German!") and the crew and riffs have really settled into a groove both in their timing and delivery by that point.

I hope we get The People that Time Forgot next season.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I Am A Robot posted:

I'm ambivalent about Gypsy because on the one hand I'm happy whenever we get more women riffing but on the other hand I loving loved her old voice and she's basically a completely different character now.
Yeah but I don't think Richard Basehart jokes play in 2017.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

OK I'm sold on Mesozoic Ranch. That sounds delicious.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'm in love with the Monster Rap and UFO song. The latter is so great because it's literally a minute that fills up the dead space of the lady tentatively and agonizingly walking into a stranger's UFO and Jonah and the Bots utilized that minute of dead air well.

Speaking of music, I seriously get giggly whenever I recognize a pop music artist being used for riffing. I've gotten Pitbull/Kesha's, Timber, Wrecking Ball from Miley Cyrus, Set Fire to the Rain by Adele, Uptown Funk from Mark Ronson/Bruno Mars, Firework by Katy Perry...

Compendium fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 19, 2017

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Alehkhs posted:

The Land that Time Forgot

Yeah this is around when it became real for me, too.

"Oh, it's our world now?"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"I told you you shouldn't watch Dancer in the Dark!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Egbert Souse posted:

The Time Travellers wasn't terrible, even though it was basically a rip-off of George Pal's The Time Machine. Though, I loved how a lot of the special effects were basically magic tricks and it actually portrayed time travel in a clever way.

Still, those androids. :stare:

The riffing is incredible. This is like a second Season 6 so far.

Agreed. That was pretty clever.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
This goes with episode 13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBKwTAlhKzY

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Random Stranger posted:

I feel like while Gypsy may have been a one-note character before, there's just nothing distinctive about her now. Getting two riffs a movie just isn't enough; maybe if she came in more often it would be better. I do like how the puppet redesign lets them hang bodies off the neck for playing dressing up.

Basically, new voice is fine, but Gypsy needs more to do.

I'm going slow with the new season; I only just watched Avalanche (11-04) last night. Gypsy having a "normal" voice took a little getting used to, but I'm totally on board now. (Hell, even if we disregard the prime "it's just a show, I should really just relax" directive, she's had ample time to upgrade herself in the last 18 years.) She should definitely be given a bigger role.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

"PAUL" I read your letter to the Philippians is a great callback to Werewolf

vvvv It does! The first episode is rough due to it feeling crammed with riffs. This eases up considerably as the season goes on.

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 19, 2017

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Just finished episode one. It feels like they are trying too hard. They aren't giving the riffs any time to breathe. I really hope this improves as the episodes go on.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Just finished episode one. It feels like they are trying too hard. They aren't giving the riffs any time to breathe. I really hope this improves as the episodes go on.

It does. Pretty quickly too.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Kropermann is a monster from Luxembourg
Who's actually the size of Luxembourg
He crushed the whole country of Luxembourg
Because he is the size of Luxembourg!

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Paul from Cry Wilderness looks like a Damon Albarn cartoon

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
What exactly is Gypsy doing when she gets her two jokes in the theater? Just putting something down and coming back for it later? A friend described it as "she drops a bad joke and leaves."

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Knight posted:

What exactly is Gypsy doing when she gets her two jokes in the theater? Just putting something down and coming back for it later? A friend described it as "she drops a bad joke and leaves."

According to Joel, the payload.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

There's no wrong way to enjoy an MST3K episode. Except for that review a few posts back.

My only real complaint about the new series is that a good chunk of the intermediary skits feel VERY rushed. Ever done that improv thing where you do a scene, and then need to do it again in half the time so you're stepping on lines and falling over each other? They feel like that.

Joel said if/when they do season 2, they're going to relax the pace. He wanted this season to be about the movies so people can just get in and enjoy. He says Season 2/12 will talk more about how the puppets got back on the show instead of with Mike, more moments with Gypsy as a character, and he says that they're looking into doing episodes of just shorts in an off-season kinda way.

The idea is to make the show as approachable as possible while the old fans get acclimated to the changes and the new fans get acclimated to the show in general, season 2/12 they'll try a few new things.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Knight posted:

It's never revealed, but the jokes she's dropping are definitely bad :mad: Mr. Cabinet and the only T-Rex strangling death are among the best in their episode.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm in the middle of the Hercules movie and Jayne Mansfield certainly has a screen presence. I wonder if Italian was one of the five or so languages she spoke and if she dubbed herself for the international releases?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Knight posted:

I'm pretty sure she's dropping the bucket at the beginning and then collecting the liquid bad movie at the end. Which makes Gypsy a collaborator!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I'm pretty sure she's dropping the bucket at the beginning and then collecting the liquid bad movie at the end. Which makes Gypsy a collaborator!

She's never wanted to be the Umbilicus, but she was (when they remembered that she was).

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
(Beast of Hollow Mountain) :gonk: "WHOM MUST WE KILL TO SLAKE THY ANGER?"

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

DivisionPost posted:

(Beast of Hollow Mountain) :gonk: "WHOM MUST WE KILL TO SLAKE THY ANGER?"

Seriously the funniest skit this season so far, I don't even understand why.

"That wasn't us."

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
It's really interesting how they mostly avoid the obvious dirty jokes. I used to think it was just a product of the time that they couldn't get too obscene on cable, but now I believe it's just their style of humor. It's probably for the better, a lesser movie riffing group would probably lean too heavily on the easy dirty comments.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

It's really interesting how they mostly avoid the obvious dirty jokes. I used to think it was just a product of the time that they couldn't get too obscene on cable, but now I believe it's just their style of humor. It's probably for the better, a lesser movie riffing group would probably lean too heavily on the easy dirty comments.

I can imagine Avalanche in the wrong hands and it is not pretty.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 19, 2017

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

BJPaskoff posted:

Joel has talked about how he wants to maintain a "light PG-13" because of how much of the fanbase back in the day was kids and families. I think it's the right choice: raunchy enough that the kids get to feel like it's a treat to watch and mild enough that the average parent will be comfortable with letting kids see it.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 19, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There's also the fact that the whole family can watch together, and there are jokes the kids will get and jokes the parents will get. Everyone can enjoy MST3k together!

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"Dickweed".

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

remusclaw posted:

A can imagine Avalanche in the wrong hands and it is not pretty.

Starcrash and Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2 both have women running around in basically nothing; that'd be even more unwatchable.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Joel has talked about how he wants to maintain a "light PG-13" because of how much of the fanbase back in the day was kids and families.

Oh that's cool. The original MST3K was definitely a Dad Show. It's uncanny how many people I know were introduced to it from their dads. Maybe their dads watched the old movies (I never thought about how widely movies like these were distributed in the 70's) and got to laugh and be all nostalgic for them in the late 80's/early 90's with their kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

They've also let a few multi-syllable curses through in movies like Avalanche, and that definitely doesn't slide on cable.