Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
World of Darkness: A Choir of Gunes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

World of Darkness: Abbott and Costello Persecute Frankenstein

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I like this one.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm still fond of Chronicles of Dorkness, but that's just me.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kurieg posted:

I'm still fond of Chronicles of Dorkness, but that's just me.

Too real.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
World of darkness: where larp is more than a laugh

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
World of Darkness: Please Don't Judge Us by Our Draculas

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

it's too late now but oh my god there are Gibbous Lunes, how did i not think to work that in

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This one feels right.

World of Darkness Megathread: A Closet Full of Skeletons

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

What Mage books are worth picking up if I'm planning on running a 2E game? Has the most useful stuff been rolled into 2E or are there any other books people recommend?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Gumball Gumption posted:

What Mage books are worth picking up if I'm planning on running a 2E game? Has the most useful stuff been rolled into 2E or are there any other books people recommend?

Summoners and Astral Realms are both excellent if you should wish to summon things or involve yourself in astral realms. All of the Order books except Free Council are excellent, as is Seers of the Throne. Imperial Mysteries is good although you won't need it, and Left-Handed Path is quite nice. Really everything except Free Council, Tome of the Mysteries, Tome of the Watchtowers, Sanctum & Sigil, and Boston Unveiled is worth having if you're interested in the particular subject matter.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

Top personal recs, in descending order of utility: Astral Realms, Left-Hand Path, Intruders: Encounters with the Abyss, Diamond and Seer order books, Imperial Mysteries.

Astral Realms and Left-Hand Path are almost wholly in line with the setting presentation of 2e, but expand on a lot of details which the 2e core didn't have space for. You will recognize names dropped in the core, like the Spire Perilous and the Ocean Oroboros, in Astral Realms, but in significantly more detail, as well as sample realms like swords-and-sorcery Mars. Similarly, Left-Hand Path has the details on the tulpa of the Mad Ones, and the depth of the hidden order of the Tremere liches. It also has the best thing to come out of the Lower Depths, the Cwn Annwn.

Intruders: Encounters with the Abyss shows its age in setting and mechanical presentation, and uses terms like acamoth and gulmoth in different ways than Mage 2e, but is still one of the best sources to demonstrate how to characterize manifestations of the Abyss, and what is cool about them. Intruders will be where you get the parasitic system of antimathematics and the astral manifestations that twist mindscapes into oppressive worlds of nonsense promised to you in the 2e core.

The Diamond and Seer order books break from Mage 2e's presentation of the historical and human dimensions of the rise of the orders, cleaving more closely to the idea that the Diamond orders are on some level written in supernal truth and manifest across the ages in different forms. Their discussion of order philosophies and praxes, however, are those on which the 2e presentation is built, and again, remain relevant while going into significantly more detail and depth. Go here if you need to be convinced why orders have a role and are more than just self-identified archetypes of librarians and warriors.

Imperial Mysteries has a lot of content that is beyond the scope of your average Mage game. It flows very smoothly into the setting presentation of 2e, almost moreso than the 1e presentation of the Supernal World, has a lot of inspirational material on the loftier cosmological thought of Mage, and is still peppered with plot hooks that can fit into lower-scope games, like the abandoned Wendings and transfigured Sariras the 2e core mentions. Mechanical implementation of the archmaster template in 2e requires some massaging, but probably less than a lot of other 1e material would.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I Am Just a Box posted:

Intruders: Encounters with the Abyss shows its age in setting and mechanical presentation, and uses terms like acamoth and gulmoth in different ways than Mage 2e, but is still one of the best sources to demonstrate how to characterize manifestations of the Abyss, and what is cool about them. Intruders will be where you get the parasitic system of antimathematics and the astral manifestations that twist mindscapes into oppressive worlds of nonsense promised to you in the 2e core.

this book is a fun one but not for the reason that I Am Just a Box says it is

Intruders features one of the best-written and creepiest interstitial fiction bits in any WoD splat book i've read, and then all of the actual encounters are hilariously lame stuff like "an evil abyss tree that... MAKES SQUIRRELS GO CRAZY" and "what if math, but it DIDN"T MAKE SENSE?!?!?!"

i would not use anything from this book for an actual horror-themed Mage campaign, but i would borrow from it liberally for comic relief

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Intruders features one of the best-written and creepiest interstitial fiction bits in any WoD splat book i've read, and then all of the actual encounters are hilariously lame stuff like "an evil abyss tree that... MAKES SQUIRRELS GO CRAZY" and "what if math, but it DIDN"T MAKE SENSE?!?!?!"

Fighting words aside (and a couple of them are dumb), this does also remind me that The Storyteller is a hell of an introductory fiction. Good intro.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Cool, Astral Realms and Left hand path look like they are what I'm looking for. I want to do a game influenced by alien myths and Astral Creatures, the Abyss, and some God Machine angels thrown in seems to be the way to go about this.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I'm finishing out W:tF 2e and I really, really like it. But it makes we think what would happen if the Forsaken sussed out the God-Machine on a whole. There's things it does that would disrupt the Shadow on a whole, which would put it on the poo poo list.

Oh, as for thread title: World of Darkness Megathread: Awakening to a Lost Vigil's Forsaken Requiem. gently caress Beast.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Finished watching a let's play of "We eat rear end and all our friends are dead." It was worse than I imagined. Worst licensed game since Friday the 13th. Holy poo poo, everything from the writing to the "game play" to the art is garbage. It's not even a branching story, there are just arbitrary choices that kill you. The dialog is the worst hip and edgy bullshit I have ever encountered. This seriously colors my opinion on ever buying anything from them because if this level of quality is acceptable to them, an actual turd would be at the top of the product line. gently caress the RPG industry. It's filth, and the sooner it goes under the better.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tasoth posted:

I'm finishing out W:tF 2e and I really, really like it. But it makes we think what would happen if the Forsaken sussed out the God-Machine on a whole. There's things it does that would disrupt the Shadow on a whole, which would put it on the poo poo list.

Oh, as for thread title: World of Darkness Megathread: Awakening to a Lost Vigil's Forsaken Requiem. gently caress Beast.

pffft, everyone knows Luna is just a super-sophisticated piece of infrastructure anyways

alternatively: World of Barkness: The Dog-Machine Chronicle

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

alternatively: World of Barkness: The Dog-Machine Chronicle

We can talk about Pugmire?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Babylon Astronaut posted:

"We eat rear end and all our friends are dead."

I mean there's your thread title right there.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

:thumbsup:

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Theory: Persona 5 is about a group of Mastigos attaining archmastery.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Elswyyr posted:

Theory: Persona 5 is about a group of Mastigos attaining archmastery.

That's a fact.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Um jammer lammy is the story of a mastigos awakening.

Or an acanthus one if you're playing the NTSC version.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

But what kind of Mage is Rasputin as depicted in the animated movie Anastasia?
Besides "DnD lich".

I've said before and I'll say again - while Mages getting the Astral Realms to play around with is really cool, the way it's sort of their domain and Changelings and Beasts just get to touch it now and then feels like it cuts off design space for a potentially really cool Psychonauts kind of game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

bewilderment posted:

Besides "DnD lich".

Russian folklore is already basically the origin of the D&D idea of a lich, so I'd just fix up a custom Legacy along those lines with Koschei the Deathless as their originator.

He'd make a passable Tremere if you insisted on using existing rules, though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

He summons demons, animates stuff, doesn't die... I'm gonna go with Thyrsus.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Really though, the Peanuts comics is a story about a group of child-size prometheans who live in a fairly large throng who keep each other and their weird undead dog thing together in order to keep striving to the new dawn.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

bewilderment posted:

Besides "DnD lich".

I've said before and I'll say again - while Mages getting the Astral Realms to play around with is really cool, the way it's sort of their domain and Changelings and Beasts just get to touch it now and then feels like it cuts off design space for a potentially really cool Psychonauts kind of game.

Changeling is way more interesting if their Arcadia has very little to do with the supernal realm it shares a name with. Beast couldn't be made cooler with all the sunglasses and guitar riffs in the world, though.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Rand Brittain posted:

He summons demons, animates stuff, doesn't die... I'm gonna go with Thyrsus.

His historical counterpart had also been made a confidant for his healing abilities and appreciated a fine orgy, and the 2e iconic Thyrsus illustration looks like Alan Moore who looks like Rasputin anyway. I think we can consider this Mystery solved.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

One day, I hope to have 'Alan Moore Impersonator' listed on my list of jobs.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Loomer posted:

One day, I hope to have 'Alan Moore Impersonator' listed on my list of jobs.

How many songbirds do you think live in that beard?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I have used my Alan Moore impression while ST'ing Mage more than once. Really, it's inevitable once you reach a certain point.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Sometimes I wonder if I'll see his actual illustrated grimoire on magic, "The Moon and The Serpent" (COMING SOON! ©), someday during my lifetime.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

How many songbirds do you think live in that beard?

My learned opinion is that there are between zero and three songbirds in Mr. Moore's beard at any given time, depending on season and altitude above sea level.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

So, I'm on a MU* with Forsaken 2E and having fun. Actually having fun! I'm a Wolf-blooded in a pack of Bone Shadows, this group in particular is all of my friends in real-life that I enjoy gaming with, though a couple are new to MU*. I feel like goons would be a fun addition to this game, too. Anyone interested, potentially? http://reno.mechanipus.com/wiki/Main_Page

We can ST plots for each other as long as it's not conflict of interest-y, or doesn't make it onto a list of thematic no-nos. If you guys want to form one or two Forsaken packs, we could potentially run plots for each other, farming beats and, eventually, becoming like unto gods.

:cmon:

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Holy poo poo this thread exists and is active? What sort of bizarre alternate universe have I wandered into?

My friends and I used to run a lot of NWoD games set in a shared universe for a few years before I lost interest due to getting sick of White Wolf's horrendous lack of balance making it difficult to make a sort of combat heavy sequence feel fair to all my players. Either the tank player is unscathed by everything and never in danger or everybody else folds like they're made of paper. I mean obviously White Wolf games aren't meant to be about combat and that's good but when it comes up I feel like it should be easier for me to balance for the party.

Whatever, my point is that I just started playing the Bloodlines videogame and it's reminding me how much I miss WoD stuff. So I'm planning a Vampire game set in the French Revolution to start as soon as my current Interface Zero game ends in a couple months. I'm currently "training" a couple good friends of mine who are new to rpgs (this is their first ever, actually) and I'll probably carry them into the Vampire game as their introduction to WoD. I might see about recruiting a goon or two when it happens to fill slots if their schedule(s) fit with ours and they're not assholes to play with.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
It will exist as long as Onyx Publishing continues to make NWOD/White Wolf continues to make bad decisions.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
What's the deal with Beast? I fell out a bit before it came out and now that I'm back in I don't understand why the op snubs it. I haven't actually looked at it in detail but I'm curious as to what makes it so bad. At a glance it just seems kinda okay but not that interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Xinder posted:

What's the deal with Beast? I fell out a bit before it came out and now that I'm back in I don't understand why the op snubs it. I haven't actually looked at it in detail but I'm curious as to what makes it so bad. At a glance it just seems kinda okay but not that interesting.

Imagine if Vampire was written by somebody who literally thought that there was nothing wrong about drinking people's blood and that vampires were cool and froody rebels who were the victims of prejudice by lame, non-sex-having losers who are completely incompetent and terribly evil and dangerous all at once.

Basically, Beast seems to have been written without the subtextual understanding that Beasts are monsters, and spend most of its time justifying all the evil that they do and complaining about the losers who don't appreciate them.