Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

LGD posted:

SMGs are definitely more useful than people think, but I'm pretty sure if you had to pick only one gun configuration to get and use for every game, a suppressed M16 with a 4x scope would be the best choice by a pretty wide margin

I mean, it probably is a better choice, especially late game, but just taken overall I still think the UMP wins. What it lacks in long range and stopping power is offset by ammo availability and early game dominance, IMO. Finding a suppressor, a 4x and the M16 with enough ammo is really RNG dependent. If you get lucky then yeah, go with the M16, but to me the UMP is much more of a sure thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The UMP is great for early game then after killing enough dudes you can usually get pretty geared up and find all the parts you need (aka at least an AR compensator for your M16 with a 4x and ext. quickdraw)

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

funny Star Wars parody posted:

The UMP is great for early game then after killing enough dudes you can usually get pretty geared up and find all the parts you need (aka at least an AR compensator for your M16 with a 4x and ext. quickdraw)

Seems like the m16 might receive a nerf tomorrow. Any of you guys tried it on the test server yet?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Seems like the m16 might receive a nerf tomorrow. Any of you guys tried it on the test server yet?

Thank god

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

I can concede this point but it still kinda dings the M16's usefulness some if you can kill a dude that has one decked out with an UMP

maybe they have all that poo poo on a SCAR or M416 but still, if you're killing dudes like that it speaks volumes on how good the UMP really is, it punches way above its weight

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

I can concede this point but it still kinda dings the M16's usefulness some if you can kill a dude that has one decked out with an UMP

maybe they have all that poo poo on a SCAR or M416 but still, if you're killing dudes like that it speaks volumes on how good the UMP really is, it punches way above its weight

It really does, the only close range gun I prefer for earlygame city fights is the 686 because doubletapping some scared pubbie running around looking for a pistol just feels so good

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

It really does, the only close range gun I prefer for earlygame city fights is the 686 because doubletapping some scared pubbie running around looking for a pistol just feels so good

Everytime I have a shotgun I try and kill someone and hit them 3 times and by then they end up killing me... But if someone else has a shotgun I get 1 tapped. I loving hate this game.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

fyallm posted:

Everytime I have a shotgun I try and kill someone and hit them 3 times and by then they end up killing me... But if someone else has a shotgun I get 1 tapped. I loving hate this game.

Aim at their head? Strafe and hop as you shoot? Git gud?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Aim at their head? Strafe and hop as you shoot? Git gud?

Oh I am terrible at aiming and can't hit poo poo. I still have no idea how I keep getting wins and kills.

El_Funko
May 25, 2003

Where did she go?

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

As much as I love the M16, it is a tad silly that you can spam-tap single shot faster than some of the auto modes shoot. They're right to balance it a bit. I just hope it stays as a decent semi-auto sniper for medium range, because that should be what it's used for.

Also, if I'm happy with my current fashion options, is there anything wrong with just hoarding all my cosmetic bux until they add some new stuff to the crates? Does the balance cap out at any point?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

fyallm posted:

Get yourself a choke. They're ubiquitous and hugely tighten up your spread, extending your effective range and one-shot potential signficantly. With that, I was able to one-shot a guy in level 3 armour from about fifteen meters away after sneaking up on him. He learned an important lesson there: While suppressors make your gun quiet, they do not make it completely inaudible. :getin:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Vehicles are so dumb and good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaqmu2zBT7A

Just got a 2nd place finish solo with 5 kills and time in the middle to check my email and take a call. Feels good. :toot:

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014
seems like foliage will be the same for every setting with the upcoming update?

also you can sprint while crouched.
p cool patch

Gesadt fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 19, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Streamers are saying their FPS on the test server is infinitely better

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Gesadt posted:

seems like foliage will be the same for every setting with the upcoming update?

Yeah here's a slider comparison https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapose/latest/embed/index.html?uid=1c482cc4-2510-11e7-9577-0edaf8f81e27

Changes are now pure quality not quantity. Game is still kinda ugly on ultra though :v:

And here's some rando playing with the new gun and items:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAqwxz4AG6w

Orv
May 4, 2011

Name this update Murder in Morrowind.

Not that I really mind, I'm not exactly going to give a poo poo about the fidelity of the grass when I'm being shot at, but phew.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

There are few larger :ughh: moments in any video game than when you're all decked out in armor, a silenced, 8x scoped scar, a UMP9, and all the meds you could ever want...and you get overzealous moving from point to point in your car and jump out to run yourself over.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Orv posted:

Name this update Murder in Morrowind.

Not that I really mind, I'm not exactly going to give a poo poo about the fidelity of the grass when I'm being shot at, but phew.

You might if you'll be able to use tall grass for concealment.

Orv
May 4, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You might if you'll be able to use tall grass for concealment.

It looks like the middle qualities give enough vision through the grasses that it isn't that bad, so it'll probably be fine.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Hoo boy. That vector seems like it has a super high ROF and tight grouping. If it has the same damage per shot as the 1911 it will likely be OP as gently caress in early game.

Kamikaze Raider posted:

There are few larger :ughh: moments in any video game than when you're all decked out in armor, a silenced, 8x scoped scar, a UMP9, and all the meds you could ever want...and you get overzealous moving from point to point in your car and jump out to run yourself over.

I wish I could say that this has only happened to me once. :ughh:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rap music posted:

Hoo boy. That vector seems like it has a super high ROF and tight grouping. If it has the same damage per shot as the 1911 it will likely be OP as gently caress in early game.

I wish I could say that this has only happened to me once. :ughh:

Luckily it appears to be nearly impossible to find in the early game (or at least as rare as a Kar)

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Hey as long as guys can't instantly resurrect, force your character to commit suicide, drop artillery strikes anywhere on the map or teleport every single player into some arbitrary location on the map the game is already above and beyond the standards set by the ARMA engine.

Obviously there's going to be cheating because it's a shooter where people get invested in the game and cheaters can get people to "rage" but I mean, so far the dev team seems to be really on top of poo poo and cautiously optimistic about their ability to keep this game crazy fun. At the very least they give a poo poo, and that's pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQZ06qDSkJY teleport + lag switch + aimbot

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Luckily it appears to be nearly impossible to find in the early game (or at least as rare as a Kar)

I could still see carrying it into late game as an effective way to clear tight buildings.

El_Funko
May 25, 2003

Where did she go?

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I once did this to die as #2 in a solo match.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Wait did he teleport players from elsewhere to right in front of him then shoot them in the head? or does it only teleport their positions to him then he can shoot them hence why there are no boxes

Why the hell is so much stuff going on clientside that it can work like that :psyduck:

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 19, 2017

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
That happened to me when I was probably having my best match so far. I won like 5 intense duels and got up to #10. Was driving a jeep around and thought I was far enough. Let the speed drop down a little, jumped out.
Game started spamming a message in the corner "NOT ENOUGH SPACE", then I was suddenly in front of the car and got run over. I was slightly pissed off at the moment.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Well, uhm.

Wait did he teleport players from elsewhere to right in front of him then shoot them in the head? or does it only teleport their positions to him then he can shoot them hence why there are no boxes

Why the hell is so much stuff going on clientside that it can work like that :psyduck:

I'm by no means a game developer but some stuff has to be clientside, either to keep things responsive or otherwise to offload processing from the server to the clients. Being able to teleport players to you is generally inexcusable and probably suggests poor security on the server.

Aimbots, wallhacks and 'player spotters' are pretty much a fact of nature though, as that stuff has to occur clientside, the only way to deal with that are anti-cheats that just scan the game memory and try to detect hacks, which usually translates to a cat & mouse game between the hackers and the developers.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The generally accepted best practice is for certain things to be client side (movement, firing a gun) and then validate those actions server side. Trying to do absolutely everything server side is too taxing on their end and often leads to a real sluggish feeling for the player. (See: driving car in APB). Seeing as this is still EA they're probably not up on the validation side of things as much as they should be but it sounds like they're going to be taking cheating pretty seriously.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Just made it to #4 in a solo match, gently caress this game gets tense and it's great.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I understand why clientside stuff is necessary, but what I'm saying is being able to pinpoint and teleport to player locations via a clientside bug is Not Good

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

I understand why clientside stuff is necessary, but what I'm saying is being able to pinpoint and teleport to player locations via a clientside bug is Not Good

Oh agreed, I'm just giving the benefit of the doubt in being generally unfinished.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
I've been killed a few times for jumping out of cars like it's H1Z1. I like to think of my body as a gift for the person who I was about to get the jump on.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I think you mean exploit. Or maybe even ... hack?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

He's turning lag mode on, teleporting enemies to him, shooting them, and turning lag off. If he never toggled the hack's lag mode they wouldn't have remained after the teleportation. That hack isn't really moving the players, it's just giving the hacker a chance to get cheap shots.

That lag mode has some chances to mask your nefarious deeds such as peeking around corners without ever getting shot in return.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

a big issue for this is its using default ue4 networking code with few/no modifications so any hacker with the free ue4 devkit can test out all their hacks pretty easily

also it has no engine time-out code apparently so thats why people can just deny their outgoing packets and do dumb poo poo

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://streamable.com/pmlhq

Turn your sound up, pay attention!

No sound because Nvidia Share is balls.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

There are so many stupid little loopholes hackers use you know, from the behavior of the players he teleported it seems possible that they didn't actually teleport anywhere on their clients (they act oblivious), he just used the induced desync to render them on his client and shoot them, which would fool the server side hit registry.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Video game hacking is crazy interesting from a programming side is what I'm learning here

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFfPBfgitjY

I don't know why I find this so funny, but I love stuff like this from this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
416 got new, much better sights IMO.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 19, 2017

• Locked thread