Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Alarbus posted:

Haven't read more than project threads, but I ended up at Grassroots Motorspots for the "Fix the AMG minivan at home" thread, and it seems decent. The build threads scratch my itch for people building fun things.

Starting point: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/r63-amg-the-unicorn-of-my-destruction/110824/page1/

Same here and I am also reading a guy rebuilding a 350 in a crap corvette. It is all pretty much dad chat over there so really not much humor and such but seems like a quality place with sincere people. Just don't like expect "let's try to save 14" level of adventures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I can't remember the last time I was this sick. We attended a family event this weekend for easter, one of my nieces was sick with the stomach flu- but left early. My wife and I came down with the worst stomach flu either of us can remember. It's coming out both ends-at the same time I had to take the day off work and just lay curled up in our bed. There was no sleep last night and I'm expecting the same tonight. God save us.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 19, 2017

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

the spyder posted:

I can't remember the last time I was this sick. We attended a family event this weekend for easter, one of my nieces was sick with the stomach flu- but left early. My wife and I came down with the worst stomach flu either of us can remember. It's coming out both ends-at the same time I had to take the day off work and just lay curled up in our bed. There was no sleep last night and I'm expecting the same tonight. God save us.

Sounds horrible. I hope you have at least tried Imodium. Praying that you and yours get relief soon.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Geoj posted:

Job chat - eagerly awaiting a call back from the place I interviewed with in February and again about a month ago, their own deadline for deciding was end of last week. Fired off an email early Friday afternoon politely asking WTF, they responded Monday with "by the end of this week." Given that they haven't held to any of the previous timetables I'm not sure if I believe them but I still have my fingers crossed.

Throwing a wrench into the works - I got a call from a recruiter today whom I spoke with about a month ago, he's looking to quickly fill another computer janitor position. While it isn't my preference (trying to get away from computer janitor jobs) and the drive isn't ideal (about 50 miles round trip, 99% highway) it does pay slightly more than I was making at the call center, and they want to interview me on Thursday with an expectation to fill the position "by early next week." It is a (W2) contract gig through the end of the year with possibility for extension or being hired on directly with the company - a home/auto/farm insurer. Can't really in good conscience turn down a position that would pay the bills.

I'm really holding out for the first place because in addition to more money (its a system engineer position, so easily $10k more to start since they'd have to train me to get me up to speed) they also offer better benefits - high deductible insurance plan but they pay for all but 5% of premiums - and the commute is roughly half the distance to the place I got called for today. Hopefully either way I'll be back to work by this time next week :ohdear:

Since the job you don't want, but would pay the bills is a contract gig, can't you just walk away from it if the other place makes a good offer?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Locator posted:

Since the job you don't want, but would pay the bills is a contract gig, can't you just walk away from it if the other place makes a good offer?

Assuming they don't want me to sign a non-compete (I haven't seen the fine print yet, but if they do I'm walking), yes - just not the kind of situation I'd like to get into.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

One of my neighbors took a picture of his new doorbell. It's really tempting to do something like that.

He admitted he reversed the springs to keep anybody from getting hurt...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Like I expected, I had a really bad emotional day (20th anniverary of a failed marriage as well as a bunch of other poo poo gone wrong). But right now with a cup of tea and the smell of ecalyptst oil from a scent burner I think I am the single most chillaxed human on the planet.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I think I am the single most chillaxed human on the planet.
The Americans will answer that challenge tomorrow.

Glad you're letting it pass you by, though, does you no good to get tied in knots over that kind of stuff.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

funny Star Wars parody posted:

So GM is putting all of its money into china, Brazil, and the US/Canada? What the gently caress are they thinking? On top of that, this sale seems like a raw deal for them

Dunno about Brazil, but Buicks in China are like Mercedes here. They're a status symbol. Most of Buick's market share is in China.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Adiabatic posted:

Dunno about Brazil, but Buicks in China are like Mercedes here. They're a status symbol. Most of Buick's market share is in China.

Final proof that the Chinese have no taste.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Enourmo posted:

full-size wheel covers instead of the typical cop hubcaps.
Yo thats bad get some cop hubs.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'm trying to decide which is more important to do in my '97 N/A Volvo 850: new tires or the timing belt.

The tires date to about '09. Plenty of tread but they're hard as a rock. Not a whole lot of rot though. Fronts are feathered at the edges.

Timing belt dates to about October of 2010. Only 26k miles on the car since then, though.

I only drive the car about a couple thousand miles a year and its main purpose is as a winter beater.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tyres

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

the spyder posted:

Been there, done that - food poisoning in Cuba. On our last night there. Cemented that the wife was the one - can't go through that together without it being real love.
Worst loving night of my life.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CornHolio posted:

I'm trying to decide which is more important to do in my '97 N/A Volvo 850: new tires or the timing belt.

The tires date to about '09. Plenty of tread but they're hard as a rock. Not a whole lot of rot though. Fronts are feathered at the edges.

Timing belt dates to about October of 2010. Only 26k miles on the car since then, though.

I only drive the car about a couple thousand miles a year and its main purpose is as a winter beater.

How much do you care about the car?

If you care about it, I'd do the timing belt and get a set of newer used tires.

If you don't care about it and can replace the car easily, OR you don't mind fixing it after the belt breaks, get a set of new tires.

I've been bit by a broken timing belt on an interference engine before, it wasn't fun. I especially don't trust low mileage belts with a lot of years on them. That belt is about as hard as your tires at this point.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Aaaron Hernandez killed himself and ESPN is acting like somebody important died. The guy was a piece of poo poo and got off easy, who cares.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

How much do you care about the car?

If you care about it, I'd do the timing belt and get a set of newer used tires.

If you don't care about it and can replace the car easily, OR you don't mind fixing it after the belt breaks, get a set of new tires.

I've been bit by a broken timing belt on an interference engine before, it wasn't fun. I especially don't trust low mileage belts with a lot of years on them. That belt is about as hard as your tires at this point.

The car's not worth much and it needs tires, a timing belt and honestly some suspension work. If the belt is that sketchy because of the age, though, it sounds like I better replace it.

Water pump and pulleys should be fine at least. I'm going to order only the tensioner and belt.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
My pace of project on my S14 240SX is glacial but I should be doing some work on it tonight. The last thing I did was finally get the brake booster into the engine bay.

And yes, the 4 cam is a big, wide engine that barely fits. I also have it 2 inches from the firewall, which made stuff more complicated.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The gently caress Windows... task bar quit doing task bar things entirely, and the desktop was restarting constantly.

At least it's easy enough to create a new user profile in 10, and since my account was tied to ~the cloud~ it sucks a bunch of poo poo back down on its own. My dumbass forgot to move a lot of stuff over to the new account, but hey, looks like it's a good time to test my backups. :shepicide: I really shouldn't try to fix poo poo when I've been awake for 24+ hours :(

CornHolio posted:

The car's not worth much and it needs tires, a timing belt and honestly some suspension work. If the belt is that sketchy because of the age, though, it sounds like I better replace it.

Water pump and pulleys should be fine at least. I'm going to order only the tensioner and belt.

That's what I'd do, personally. I mean, you could probably drive it for awhile like that, maybe for a long time, but timing belt + interference engine = something I don't like to gamble on.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'd imagine the tensioner and pulleys should be in good shape, right? $15 for a timing belt vs $240ish for a kit with everything. The tensioner and pulleys all have 26k miles on them.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

One of my neighbors took a picture of his new doorbell. It's really tempting to do something like that.

He admitted he reversed the springs to keep anybody from getting hurt...

This is awesome. Living in suburbia in Utah we get an absolute shizton of door to door sales. The most egregious is the solar panel sales. It is out of hand between phone calls and door knocks i am losing my mind. A friend from high school made this sticker, which I purchased:

https://www.stickermule.com/marketplace/17763-no-solariciting-sticker-keep-the-pesky-solar-salesman-away

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The poor pizza delivery guy. :ohdear:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CornHolio posted:

I'd imagine the tensioner and pulleys should be in good shape, right? $15 for a timing belt vs $240ish for a kit with everything. The tensioner and pulleys all have 26k miles on them.

I don't see why they wouldn't be. They don't degrade from sitting nearly as much as a belt would. If the belt hadn't been under tension the entire time I'd probably be more likely to trust it too, but if it's sat for more than a month or so at a time it'd be the first thing I'd change, personally.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

The poor pizza delivery guy. :ohdear:

That's when you put a note on the door asking the pizza guy to knock. :v:

He reversed the springs on it.. killjoy :mad:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This is awesome. Living in suburbia in Utah we get an absolute shizton of door to door sales. The most egregious is the solar panel sales. It is out of hand between phone calls and door knocks i am losing my mind. A friend from high school made this sticker, which I purchased:

I'm in an apartment, so it's generally religious types, ISPs, or electricity resellers that knock on my door - the area I'm in is deregulated when it comes to power, and I have a choice of fiber or cable for internet/tv/phone (no copper). For electricity there's literal hundreds of companies to choose from, but the power still comes from the same lines no matter what. Door to door stuff makes me kinda glad I'm on the top floor of a pretty sketchy building. The stairs aren't covered and sway a bit, and the landing going to my door has a somewhat unnerving slope to it. So far it's discouraged everyone except Jehovah's Witnesses, Frontier, and a couple of power companies. I stay polite with the religious guys, but anyone else gets reminded of the "no soliciting" sign in a not-so-nice voice.

I did find out one possible reason why this place seems to be falling apart so much faster than most other properties I've lived at... talked to a neighbor who's been here for a long time. Turns out some guy bought up all of the land around here in the late 70s and threw up dime a dozen condos between roughly 1975-1985, then got himself arrested. Sounded odd, so I googled the developer's name and found a ton of lawsuits... then checked the county appraisal district website ownership history for where I'm living. Yup, this is one out of thousands of places he threw together. And I remember the maint manager telling me these used to be condos.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 19, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

https://www.stickermule.com/marketplace/17763-no-solariciting-sticker-keep-the-pesky-solar-salesman-away

I have solar, which is clearly visible to anyone that doesn't need a white stick to find curbs, and I've still had someone ring my doorbell trying to sell solar. Really dude?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The Locator posted:

I have solar, which is clearly visible to anyone that doesn't need a white stick to find curbs, and I've still had someone ring my doorbell trying to sell solar. Really dude?

But...what you need is...moar solar!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Here it's the Jehova's, and what annoys me about them is they don't give up, if they know you're home and ignoring them they will pound on the door until you tell them to gently caress off.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Here it's the Jehova's, and what annoys me about them is they don't give up, if they know you're home and ignoring them they will pound on the door until you tell them to gently caress off.

answer naked. works every time.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

In my city door to door solicitation is illegal

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Geoj posted:

Assuming they don't want me to sign a non-compete (I haven't seen the fine print yet, but if they do I'm walking), yes - just not the kind of situation I'd like to get into.

Check your local laws, but non-competes for low level gigs, especially contract gigs, are generally unenforceable.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

cursedshitbox posted:

answer naked brandishing a firearm. works every time.

Fixed for living in the south. I have no soliciting signs on the mailbox and the ramp to front porch, if they still bug me they're getting yelled off the property. I'm a very chill friendly person but I don't put up with that poo poo. Was 2-3 times a week for a while, the signs slowed it to once a week then taking their picture (personal and plate) and information while pretending to call 911 reduced it to once a month.

If the girlfriend answers and its solicitors she either slams the door in their face or grabs the shotgun.

edit: Getting a new work laptop in a week or so, this is finally motivated me to install LastPass

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Non-competes are generally unenforceable unless you are actively working for two companies at the same time or are some sort of personality or CEO/higher up working on proprietary systems

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

NitroSpazzz posted:

Fixed for living in the south. I have no soliciting signs on the mailbox and the ramp to front porch, if they still bug me they're getting yelled off the property. I'm a very chill friendly person but I don't put up with that poo poo. Was 2-3 times a week for a while, the signs slowed it to once a week then taking their picture (personal and plate) and information while pretending to call 911 reduced it to once a month.

If the girlfriend answers and its solicitors she either slams the door in their face or grabs the shotgun.

I had a roomie in college who was a huge goth, and took great pleasure answering the door to solicitors in black robes with a giant novelty knife with fake bloodstains on it. It was hilarious at the time.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Last time I had Jehovah's Witnesses come to the door, I had on a Black Sabbath T-shirt. It was the one depicting the last supper, with with Ozzy and Iommi and everyone replacing Jesus and some of the apostles. I just happened to be wearing it at the time. They haven't come back, years later.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

I just ignore solicitors and they go away, the Jehovas are the only persistent assholes.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

In my city door to door solicitation is illegal

Arrest them girl scouts

:clint:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Goober Peas posted:

Arrest them girl scouts

:clint:

they get to stand at kroger :smuggo:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Non-competes are generally unenforceable unless you are actively working for two companies at the same time or are some sort of personality or CEO/higher up working on proprietary systems

Kind of relevant. As discussed, I had an offer from a competitor recently. Today I got copies of all the documents I signed when I started back in 2012, which includes a non-compete.

Interestingly, it was a document between myself and XXXX Corporation, which has since been officially dissolved since another company bought us. We're just a brand of the bigger company now. Is my non-compete invalid now because one of the two entities is no longer in existence?

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I don't see why they wouldn't be. They don't degrade from sitting nearly as much as a belt would. If the belt hadn't been under tension the entire time I'd probably be more likely to trust it too, but if it's sat for more than a month or so at a time it'd be the first thing I'd change, personally.

That's what I thought. I ordered just the belt. I don't need to drive the car so once I get in there, if any of the pulleys are making noises I'll just order them at that time.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 19, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CornHolio posted:

Kind of relevant. As discussed, I had an offer from a competitor recently. Today I got copies of all the documents I signed when I started back in 2012, which includes a non-compete.

Interestingly, it was a document between myself and XXXX Corporation, which has since been officially dissolved since another company bought us. We're just a brand of the bigger company now. Is my non-compete invalid now because one of the two entities is no longer in existence?

If the company was purchased then dissolved I would assume they would have been smart enough to transfer all of that kind of documentation to their ownership on purchase but you'd want to ask a lawyer about that one

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

If the company was purchased then dissolved I would assume they would have been smart enough to transfer all of that kind of documentation to their ownership on purchase but you'd want to ask a lawyer about that one

Wouldn't I be required to sign a new document?

I don't think I'm going to test it out, but it seems to me like I should have had to sign a new non-compete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The gently caress Windows... task bar quit doing task bar things entirely, and the desktop was restarting constantly.

At least it's easy enough to create a new user profile in 10, and since my account was tied to ~the cloud~ it sucks a bunch of poo poo back down on its own. My dumbass forgot to move a lot of stuff over to the new account, but hey, looks like it's a good time to test my backups. :shepicide: I really shouldn't try to fix poo poo when I've been awake for 24+ hours :(

Haven't done it on a win10 system but for future reference you should be able to delete the registry entry for your profile (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList) which allows you to create a new one with the same name but leaves the previous profile's directory intact.

• Locked thread