Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Stringent posted:

I smoked a duck and took terrible pictures of it.

man, this looks great. What did you put on the skin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Rubbed it down with garlic salt and black pepper, then basted it once an hour or so with a 1:1:1 mix of soy sauce, honey, and cream sherry.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

couldcareless posted:

Crutch let's you zoom past the stall and allows you to prevent it from drying out as well. Always wrap beef, imo.

Don't do this unless you want your brisket tasting very pot-roast-like, but to each their own.

I did 3 racks of beef back ribs in the PBC today that took about 3 hours to probe tender at 275 and they weren't that good. I don't think I'll buy beef back ribs again. So goddamn greasy, all the short ribs I had done were never like this.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Stringent posted:

I smoked a duck and took terrible pictures of it.

How'd this turn out for you? I smoked a goose this past thanksgiving and it ended up being a bit too oppressing with the natural flavor + smoke. Hard to remember for sure, but I think I used apple, cheery and peach wood.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Quite well. I smoked with mulberry and didn't use much wood. The smoke flavor in the skin fat is definitely pronounced but it works well with the rest of the meat.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Smoked one of those 10 pound spiral cut precooked hams for Easter. Covered it in honey and some brown sugar and pineapple then in the smoker for 3 hours at 240. After that added a glaze and 20 mins in the oven at 350. Turned out great.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

My latest adventures in smoking and searing with the SNS (which I am convinced now comes directly from Jesus):

9lb Pork Butt
This took about 11.5 hours with fairly solid temps all the way through (I mostly kept it at 250-275 and didn't wrap it in foil). It fell right the gently caress apart with gentle tugging from two forks. I made a few 1lb baggies for some colleagues at work because I value a friendly work environment.

38-oz Tomahawk Ribeye
I know this doesn't really qualify as slow-smoking meats, but whatevs. Costco periodically has these fantastic prime cuts on sale, and I scooped this one up for $22 (which is a steal considering that it would likely cost nearly $75 at a steakhouse). I dry-brined it overnight, brought it to temp slowly in the oven, and then reverse seared it using the cold grate technique (found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGjJQQCfqNY). It came out amazing and was enough food along with some sides to feed four people. There's some light banding, but I didn't taste it at all given the thickness of the cut. This was the juiciest and most buttery steak I've ever had, so definitely try their technique.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
:stare:
That steak looks loving incredible.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

qutius posted:

huge fan of the slow n sear! had mine cranking all weekend, smoked some ribs, smoked two turkey fattys, and cooked up a variety of sausages with nothing but two chimney's worth of charcoals.

That turkey with spinach/feta looks awesome - I'll have to try that sometime. I'm still learning with my Slow N Sear - do you adjust vents often during a cook, or do you just let it do its thing?

So I made a dumb choice and started cooking a 4lb pork shoulder at 2:00pm. I took it out 10 hours later after a stall (150) when it hit 160 to try to get a little bark on it, wrapped it up, and put it in the fridge overnight. Is this salvageable as pulled pork? I was thinking of throwing it in the oven at 270 or something and finishing it up there since it's already smoked.

e: was 100 degrees high on my pork shoulder temps.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 18, 2017

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

VERTiG0 posted:

Don't do this unless you want your brisket tasting very pot-roast-like, but to each their own.

Interesting - I've not cooked a ton of brisket, but I can't say I've run into that problem before either.

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

That turkey with spinach/feta looks awesome - I'll have to try that sometime. I'm still learning with my Slow N Sear - do you adjust vents often during a cook, or do you just let it do its thing?

I end up making only a few adjustments usually, and it kind of depends on kind of day we're having outside. Cooler or a bit windy, it might take a little while longer to get things dialed in, but once I hit my temps it's totally hands off.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

qutius posted:

I end up making only a few adjustments usually, and it kind of depends on kind of day we're having outside. Cooler or a bit windy, it might take a little while longer to get things dialed in, but once I hit my temps it's totally hands off.

Good to know, thanks. I think I was adjusting it too much, but the weather was weird and changed from super windy, to nice, to rain all during one cook.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

VERTiG0 posted:

I'm not sure where you're going with this. My pot roast tends to taste like whatever seasoning I use.
If you're trying to make the argument that crutching doesn't allow enough smoke to penetrate, that would be debunk as by the time the brisket is getting to 150-160 and you do wrap it, it's not getting much more smoke as it is. If you're worried about the brisket being "too moist" due to wrapping, you can unwrap near the end and let it crisp up on the outside a bit, but I find that unnecessary.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Did my first smoke of the season.. a nice pork shoulder.. hosed up and messed with the temp and brought it down because I thought it was going too fast.. took ~15hrs to complete because I lowered the temp.

The thermostat on my smoker is usually wrong, I love my igrill, and always hang 1 probe near the rack to make sure I've adjusted for actual temp not the thermostat at the top of the smoker (why are probes 1/4 of the cost of a new thermometer BTW?) I'd really like to get my charcoal smoker going again but electric is just so convenient, I had lots of running around to do, just need to pop in occasionally to add chips.

Anyways here's my tasty, Did mesquite for 2 hours, then about 5-6 hours of apple and pecan mixed.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Anyone ever use a steam oven to rest their BBQ after they pull it from the smoker? Does it work well?

I've read a bunch in the past about that's how the big boys do it these days and then started to check craigslist every now and then to see if Alto Shaams or Cambros ever come up. Then I read a bit furtehr and realized that these are almost always 220v appliances and I'd have to have a pretty dedicated setup in my basement to even begin to rationalize the purchase.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/06/08/411778404/pitmasters-embrace-new-barbecue-truth-rested-meat-is-sublime

I recently found a Cuisinart Steam oven on Craiglist for $75 and almost pulled the trigger on it but I can't quite find the actual internal deminsions on it.
https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CS...am+toaster+oven

It claims an internal volume of 0.6cuft and the ability to make a 12" pizza. That tells me it's probably around ~15"x12"x6" Which is quite tight for a full packer brisket, even after being cooked.

Then I began to think of ways to make my own low temperature steam oven. My Anova circulator makes more than enough steam and is easily capable of creating temperatures of 140F so why not use that some how?

My immediate plan now is to take a large cooler and cut a hole in it to drop the Anova into (as seen in the Sous Vide thread):

Then put a small but tall pot of water on that side of the cooler for the Anova to use and start producing radiant heat and steam. I was also thinking a small shelf on the side of the cooler would help hold a smaller water vessel closer to the lid. This would leave me with plenty of room to put various smoked meats - whole turkeys, briskets, shoulders, etc.

Am I crazy? Am I wasting my time? I have all the materials so I'm not wasting any money (minus the top on the cooler).

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
How is that any different than wrapping the hunk of meat and putting it in a pre-warmed cooler with a few towels or whatever? The actual steam?

The brisket I did for the super bowl ended up finishing several hours earlier than I expected. I tossed it in my cooler and it sat for 5 or so hours before I started slicing it up. It was perfect, and still plenty hot.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

atothesquiz posted:

Am I crazy? Am I wasting my time? I have all the materials so I'm not wasting any money (minus the top on the cooler).
If you aren't doing competition BBQ, there's very little advantage to holding this way rather than using the faux Cambro method of foiled meat wrapped in towels and stuffed into the smallest cooler they'll fit into.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

couldcareless posted:

I'm not sure where you're going with this. My pot roast tends to taste like whatever seasoning I use.
If you're trying to make the argument that crutching doesn't allow enough smoke to penetrate, that would be debunk as by the time the brisket is getting to 150-160 and you do wrap it, it's not getting much more smoke as it is. If you're worried about the brisket being "too moist" due to wrapping, you can unwrap near the end and let it crisp up on the outside a bit, but I find that unnecessary.

In my opinion, there's a distinct difference in flavour between a brisket that has been wrapped and one that was not wrapped. That is where I am going with this.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
To me a brisket wrapped in foil tastes watery as if it were steamed instead of smoked.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Tezcatlipoca posted:

To me a brisket wrapped in foil tastes watery as if it were steamed instead of smoked.

You should try Franklin if you want to be proven entirely incorrect.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

Franklin doesn't wrap in foil, he wraps in butcher paper.

Watch this. Franklin does an experiment and tastes unwrapped, foil, and butcher paper. http://www.pbs.org/food/features/bbq-with-franklin-episodes/

Hell, watch the whole series. It's good stuff.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

sellouts posted:

Get the gently caress out of here with this weak poo poo, please. The butcher paper allows it to breathe a little more so it is between the two extremes.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

tater_salad posted:

(why are probes 1/4 of the cost of a new thermometer BTW?)

This reminds me, Amazon is selling 3ft probes that work with some Maverick and Ivation models for $5. My original Maverick transmitter had one input which was inaccurate so they sent me a replacement. I bought one of these $5 probes so I could use it with the good port for when I grill or smoke multiple meats and it reported accurate temps with the boil test. Worth picking up one or two as backups for those prices.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Doom Rooster posted:

Franklin doesn't wrap in foil, he wraps in butcher paper.

Watch this. Franklin does an experiment and tastes unwrapped, foil, and butcher paper. http://www.pbs.org/food/features/bbq-with-franklin-episodes/

Hell, watch the whole series. It's good stuff.

yeah I've seen it, thanks. He still wraps it.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Get the gently caress out of here with this weak poo poo, please. The butcher paper allows it to breathe a little more so it is between the two extremes.

Lol bruh

BritishRacingGreen
Feb 16, 2010

This is real mystic and all, but uh, do you have anything to eat here?

VERTiG0 posted:

What temperature did you take the lamb to? My PBC didn't come with any of the rubs, but came with a free cover instead. I wasn't upset. Did you use any wood for smoke? Kingsford charcoal? Details please!

Sorry for the late reply, but I pulled the lamb at 145, wrapped it and sat it in a cooler for half an hour. It was juicy and melted in the mouth. I used the PBC game rub, and a mix of apple and cherry wood alongside the kingsford blue briquettes.

Here is a photo of the two legs of lamb I smoked yesterday

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I've wanted to do lamb and duck for awhile, I just haven't had the balls to spend the money. I should have taken advantage of the lamb sale during Easter but I didn't. In other news, I did some ribs yesterday, they ended up entirely too salty. That's what I get for changing my rub recipe. I wanted to try Alton Browns 8-3-1 rub, but that was dumb, too much salt, I really like my rub recipe too I don't know why I tried to alter it, especially one that increases the salt so much. Anyway here's some pics, they came out really moist and delicious otherwise.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I'm very jealous of you all. I'm new to smoking/grilling and only have a small weber charcoal grill. I'm ordering my PBC next week but reading this thread every day makes it hard to wait.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

RisqueBarber posted:

I'm very jealous of you all. I'm new to smoking/grilling and only have a small weber charcoal grill. I'm ordering my PBC next week but reading this thread every day makes it hard to wait.

How big of a Weber? I was smoking in my performer before jumping to the WSM. I could do full butts but a packer brisket would be too big. I've been smoking tri tips with great success on the grill instead of using the huge wsm to do a short cook for a smaller cut. I partition the heat with a couple bricks and it turns out great! Because it's a smaller area, you can use less fuel, too.

BritishRacingGreen
Feb 16, 2010

RisqueBarber posted:

Thats exactly how I was when I was waiting for my PBC to come in.

My advice to you is the same as the advice that was given to me when I was about to use my PBC for the first time: Make a few chickens to get used to using the PBC (especially if you plan on cooking for a crowd with the PBC at some point), make sure you have a probe thermometer and a good instant read.

I had a cookout a week and a half after getting my PBC and I'm really glad I practiced with a few chickens and got the hang of using it before cooking for 25+ people.

BritishRacingGreen
Feb 16, 2010

ATTN PBC SMOKERS:

I will be attempting to HANG smoke some whole fish soon. Obviously using the hooks supplied with the smoker will not work, since the weight of the fish will eventually pull the jaw apart and drop the fish, so I'm planning on buying a couple of those grilling baskets for fish, and hanging those from the hooks.
Any thoughts/input before I invest in those baskets? Is there a simpler option I haven't thought of yet?

Here is the result of hanging the fish on one of the supplied hooks; a charcoal covered, jaw-ripped fish :'(

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

El Jebus posted:

How big of a Weber? I was smoking in my performer before jumping to the WSM. I could do full butts but a packer brisket would be too big. I've been smoking tri tips with great success on the grill instead of using the huge wsm to do a short cook for a smaller cut. I partition the heat with a couple bricks and it turns out great! Because it's a smaller area, you can use less fuel, too.

22 inches. I've done some ribs and a pork shoulder but its hard to cook for 4+ people with it as there's just not enough room on the in-direct side. When I did the pork shoulder it took like 15 hours and I got tired of taking the meat off every 45 minutes to add more charcoal and adjust the temperature. I'm hoping the PBC will let me set and forget (for the most part).

BritishRacingGreen
Feb 16, 2010

RisqueBarber posted:

22 inches. I've done some ribs and a pork shoulder but its hard to cook for 4+ people with it as there's just not enough room on the in-direct side. When I did the pork shoulder it took like 15 hours and I got tired of taking the meat off every 45 minutes to add more charcoal and adjust the temperature. I'm hoping the PBC will let me set and forget (for the most part).

The PBC is a master when it comes to set-and-forget smoking. I've had 7 racks and a leg of lamb at once on it, it did fine.
Depending on conditions you can expect the charcoal (8lbs) to last you between 8-10 hours.
I smoked a whole bone-in pork shoulder on it about a month ago, 9 hours total cook time, without replacing the charcoal. I also threw on a chicken at the 6 hour mark.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

BritishRacingGreen posted:

The PBC is a master when it comes to set-and-forget smoking. I've had 7 racks and a leg of lamb at once on it, it did fine.
Depending on conditions you can expect the charcoal (8lbs) to last you between 8-10 hours.
I smoked a whole bone-in pork shoulder on it about a month ago, 9 hours total cook time, without replacing the charcoal. I also threw on a chicken at the 6 hour mark.

That sounds amazing. Checking the temperature on the weber every 30 minutes and replacing charcoal just stressed me out so I haven't tried since.

The first time I used the grill I almost burned my house down. I made steaks on new years eve and at the end of the night I went out and emptied the ashes out of the grill. I figured all the coals were done and put the ashes in a plastic 10 gallon home depot bucket , put the grill cover on, and went to bed. I came out the next morning and the bucket had melted to the ground, the grill cover had melted to the grill lid, and one of the grill wheels was gone. I ordered an aluminum trash can, new grill cover, and new wheels the next day.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Time to jerk off.

~5lbs of amazing boneless pork butt that was sitting in a jerk marinade for 3 days.

Ingredients: habaneros (scotch bonnets are better), green onions, fresh thyme, garlic, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, fresh ginger, brown sugar, salt, pepper, soy sauce, cider vinegar.
Make it as hot as you can stand as the heat drastically reduces when cooking. (I used 4 full peppers)

The colour in the pic is a bit off, so here's another one that shows that real jerk marinade is actually green in colour and not brown.

And here is the end result after smoking for 8 hours@225f, internal temp of 195f using pimento wood (aka the branches that allspice comes from).

Why take it to 195, just a shade below pulling temp? Because jerk is sliced up, not shredded! And then put with some proper rice and peas (I use:
http://www.jamaicatravelandculture.com/food_and_drink/rice_and_peas.htm) and obviously a good hotsauce.

BritishRacingGreen
Feb 16, 2010

unknown posted:

Time to jerk off.

drat that looks beautiful.
Any pics of it sliced?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Sorry, there was a line up of people for the food, so forgot the sliced/served pics.

BritishRacingGreen
Feb 16, 2010

unknown posted:

Sorry, there was a line up of people for the food, so forgot the sliced/served pics.

This is literally me every time i cook for people. The day I had 25+ over for a cookout, I made 7 racks and a leg of lamb, and I barely had any for myself after I served it all.
The line was a mass of inebriated, inpatient adults - if I tried to stop to take a photo it wouldn't have been pretty.

I kick myself in the rear end for it every time because I take some decent photos of the process, but very rarely do I ever get a shot once the food is done.
If only you guys could've seen the smoke ring on that lamb I made yesterday. It made me so proud.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Is there any reason you marinated it past 24 hours? Everything I've read or heard says it doesn't benefit past that amount of time.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

unknown posted:

Time to jerk off.

~5lbs of amazing boneless pork butt that was sitting in a jerk marinade for 3 days.

Ingredients: habaneros (scotch bonnets are better), green onions, fresh thyme, garlic, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, fresh ginger, brown sugar, salt, pepper, soy sauce, cider vinegar.
Make it as hot as you can stand as the heat drastically reduces when cooking. (I used 4 full peppers)

The colour in the pic is a bit off, so here's another one that shows that real jerk marinade is actually green in colour and not brown.

And here is the end result after smoking for 8 hours@225f, internal temp of 195f using pimento wood (aka the branches that allspice comes from).

Why take it to 195, just a shade below pulling temp? Because jerk is sliced up, not shredded! And then put with some proper rice and peas (I use:
http://www.jamaicatravelandculture.com/food_and_drink/rice_and_peas.htm) and obviously a good hotsauce.

I'd love an exact recipe for that jerk marinade.

Crossposting from the Kitchen Equipment thread. If anyone needs a new instant read thermometer, ThermoWorks is having a killer sale on their Classic ThermaPens. I just bought one yesterday.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

BritishRacingGreen posted:

ATTN PBC SMOKERS:

I will be attempting to HANG smoke some whole fish soon. Obviously using the hooks supplied with the smoker will not work, since the weight of the fish will eventually pull the jaw apart and drop the fish, so I'm planning on buying a couple of those grilling baskets for fish, and hanging those from the hooks.
Any thoughts/input before I invest in those baskets? Is there a simpler option I haven't thought of yet?

Here is the result of hanging the fish on one of the supplied hooks; a charcoal covered, jaw-ripped fish :'(

What about hooking through the eyes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BritishRacingGreen
Feb 16, 2010

QuarkMartial posted:

What about hooking through the eyes?

Isn't it just cartilage in front of the eye sockets in fish? I'd assume that would be too weak once its somewhat cooked