Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I had a xenophobe Fallen Empire awaken and start gobbling up the western parts of the galaxy. At one point I noticed their areas were receding a bit and it looked like the huge AI empire next to them was putting up a fight, so I figured I'd dickpunch the FE while they were occupied, wardecced them and started blowing up their stations and outposts. But when I actually started moving in transports to occupy their planets, they brought their fleets in to defend and I had to pull back because lol 160k fleet vs my ~90k.

Then while I was busy just staying out of their way trying to figure out what the gently caress to do, the Unbidden popped up to the south of them. I just hauled rear end through the FE's territory to try and slow the Unbidden down and luckily managed to pull some of the FE's fleets into them to help. Eventually I had to retreat, but fortunately the FE wisened up and sued for white peace so I could build back up in peace and go finish off the Unbidden before they grew too much. At some point a Xenophile FE in the south also awakened to fight them, but all I've seen them do is build a couple colonies. Then they declared war on the pacifist xenophile Otterman Empire and their likewise pacifist federation buddy, for some reason.

So currently the Unbidden have just been beaten by the most ruthless imperialistic conquerors in the galaxy (I'm playing FanMil/Authoritarian), the awakened xenophobe FE is expanding basically unopposed (until I build up enough forces, at least), and in the meanwhile the supposed "Galactic Peacekeepers" are just bullying around the only two empires who haven't done anything belligerent the entire game, the other of which is the only one apart from me who might conceivably put up any sort of notable resistance against the xenophobes at this point. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Applewhite posted:

I'd settle for 1000 energy.

400 for such a huge investment in time is practically an insult.

I'd be fine with it if it didn't prevent you from doing literally any other project. Like if I could spend the resources to get 4 or 5 going at a time, or also work on a sensor array, or at LEAST continue building habitats, it would be fine. But nope!

I wouldn't mind 400 a month if it let me turn my entire chunk of the galaxy dark.

Also, Wiz, if you're considering suggestions:
I really want a mobile megastructure, call it something like a "World Devourer" or "Planet Eater" and just make it like a giant woodchipper. You sic it on a planet and the minerals just pour out in record time and leaves nothing behind, and it takes like 10 years to FTL from one system so you just slowly start consuming worlds. And then you can use those materials to wrap the sun in a dyson sphere.

I just want to build like three or four and then literally destroy the galaxy for my own benefit, is that so much to ask for a late game feature?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I'm honestly more excited by "Hold Crtl to give 1000 Minerals per click". I was getting sick of playing Cookie Clicker with the "send minerals to my sector" button at the end of my last game. The game desperately needs more UI/QoL functions like this, even more than it needs additional options/content imo.

Now let me build Spaceport add-ons directly from the list of planets/sectors. Tired of trying to build Solar Panels on every Spaceport in a sector with the current version of the UI.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 19, 2017

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

So... Factions are a nice idea, but currently it seems unless you'really doing something extremely stupid, you will never have to worry about most of them. They are pretty easy to keep content, if not outright happy.

The example - I played as United Nations of Earth and for the entire early game, I had the same three factions dominating my politics - Xenoists, Progressives and Prosperity-lovers. All three will be the least content with default settings, if not outright happy. The last ones are pretty difficult to piss of. For a pacifist faction, even the most brutal wars only mildly annoy them and it's easy to counterbalance this with a lot of money and strategic resources.

Other factions appeared later in the game. Imperialists are pretty chill - they will let you underfund fleet and lose major wars, but heaven forbid you ever join a Federation (even the League of Unaligned Nations which is specifically there to prevent us from getting subjugated by a Fallen Empire). Totalitarians can be a pain in the assessment, but currently building a single Robot pop removes -10 malus for non-stratified society. Isolationists are completely strange, because they are a Xenophobic faction that punishes you for typical Xenophobe behavior - in Xenophile empires they are too weak to cause problems. Spiritualists will absolutely lose their poo poo for pursuing synthetic Ascension Perks, but otherwise are easy to keep happy. They encourage you to colonise Gaia worlds which you are going to do anyway and discourage from settling Tomb worlds which are suitable unless you terraform them - but then they are no longer Tomb worlds. Technologists appeared pretty late in the game and were inconsequential. Supremacists absolutely hate my guts, but even without suppression there is not enough of them to cause problems.

The end result is that I didn't have to worry about unrest through the entire game - only once, after conquering a planet from a Decadent Slaver empire I saw a popup about a dangerous level of unrest. Even then it wasn't high enough to cause anything more than give me less resources per tile.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Yay.

Now just need a feature like this:
code:
Custom Sector Priority Preset Name: Mineral-Focused Generalist

Per Planet (or per Sector): On Tile Row, Build Building Column
                                  [Power] [Mine] [Farm] [Phy] [Bio] [Eng] 

Energy                              [x]    [ ]    [ ]    [ ]   [ ]   [ ]  
Minerals                            [ ]    [x]    [ ]    [ ]   [ ]   [ ]                            
Food                                [ ]    [ ]    [x]    [ ]   [ ]   [ ]       
Physics-Majority Research           [ ]    [ ]    [ ]    [x]   [ ]   [ ]        
Biology-Majority Research           [ ]    [ ]    [ ]    [ ]   [x]   [ ]       
Engineering-Majority Research       [ ]    [ ]    [ ]    [ ]   [ ]   [x]       
Empty Tile                          [ ]    [x]    [ ]    [ ]   [ ]   [ ]       

[x] Always build Betharian Power Plants on Betharian Stone

When two or more tiles are eligible to be build on, prioritize in this order (drag and drop)
[ Mines ] [ Power Plants ] [ Research ] [Food ] [ Phys Lab ] [ Eng Lab ] [Bio Lab]

Always build exactly one of these buildings on each planet:
[x] Frontier Clinic + upgrades
[x] Unity Building + upgrades
[x] Paradise Dome
[ ] Energy Nexus
[x] Mineral Processing Plant
[ ] Mineral Silo
.. etc.
Let us save and apply custom presets (as settings independent of a game) to sectors so we can minmax to our heart's content! Feel free to include existing Mineral-focus / Energy-focus etc. presets as defaults/starters, but letting players customize would be amazing.

e: some edits after the quote below because it was super-wide :-S

Another example preset possibility:
code:
Custom Sector Priority Preset Name: Baby Energy All The Time, Except Unity and Happiness

Per Planet (or per Sector): On Tile Row, Build Building Column
                                  [Power] [Mine] [Farm] [Phy] [Bio] [Eng] 

Energy                              [x]    [ ]    [ ]    [ ]   [ ]   [ ]  
Minerals                            [x]    [ ]    [ ]    [ ]   [ ]   [ ]                            
Food                                [x]    [ ]    [ ]    [ ]   [ ]   [ ]       
Physics-Majority Research           [x]    [ ]    [ ]    [ ]   [ ]   [ ]        
Biology-Majority Research           [x]    [ ]    [ ]    [ ]   [ ]   [ ]       
Engineering-Majority Research       [x]    [ ]    [ ]    [ ]   [ ]   [ ]       
Empty Tile                          [x]    [ ]    [ ]    [ ]   [ ]   [ ]       

[x] Always build Betharian Power Plants on Betharian Stone

When two or more tiles are eligible to be build on, prioritize in this order (drag and drop)
[ Power Plants ]  [ Mines ] [ Research ] [Food ] [ Phys Lab ] [ Eng Lab ] [Bio Lab]

Always build exactly one of these buildings on each planet:
[ ] Frontier Clinic + upgrades
[x] Unity Building + upgrades
[x] Paradise Dome
[x] Energy Nexus
[ ] Mineral Processing Plant
[ ] Mineral Silo
.. etc.

alcaras fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 19, 2017

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yeah, I just defeated the Unbidden (after they wiped out half the galaxy) and for my troubles I got a huge swath of planets taken to be purged. Frustrating end to this game, though I suppose I already "won".

I had to game the system to put off the unbidden invasion in my game for a decade or more so I could build up my fleets and tech. Paid off finally and I was able to beat them with heavy losses by myself. No one else was helping at all, except the fanatic fungus people who owned the space they spawned in, and they were terrible.

About one month after I destroyed the portal, a fallen empire awakens and starts up a guardian federation to protect the Galaxy.

Way to keep up with the times, jerks.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Magil Zeal posted:

I'm honestly more excited by "Hold Crtl to give 1000 Minerals per click". I was getting sick of playing Cookie Clicker with the "send minerals to my sector" button at the end of my last game. The game desperately needs more UI/QoL functions like this, even more than it needs additional options/content imo.

Now let me build Spaceport add-ons directly from the list of planets/sectors. Tired of trying to build Solar Panels on every Spaceport in a sector.

I really wish I could just set up regular payments. I had a science sector that was developing really well but they had a constant, like, -47 mineral deficit. I would be more than happy to help them meet that! But having to remember to manually send them their allotments regularly was annoying.

Still, this is a big improvement over have to click 20 times each time!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

alcaras posted:

Yay.

Now just need a feature like this:

code:
On Tile A, Build Building B -- B   [Power] [Betharian] [Mine] [Farm] [Physics Lab] [Bio Lab] [Eng Lab] [Frontier Clinic] [Paradise Dome] [Unity Building] [etc.]

Energy
Betharian Stone
Minerals
Food
Physics-Majority Research
Biology-Majority Research
Engineering-Majority Research
Generic Research
Empty Tile
[ Mines ] [ Power Plants ] [ Research ] [Food ]

Always build [at least one / exactly one] of these buildings on each planet:
[ ] Frontier Clinic + upgrades
[ ] Unity Building + upgrades
[ ] Paradise Dome
.. etc.

Is it possible to make a mod that does this? Or are mods limited to content changes? Because this is exactly what I want, and I'll do it if it's possible.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Seriously though, a Dyson Sphere only gives you 400 energy? WTF. It's the total power output of a star. I get over 100 energy from an energy-focused space-habitat, and four of those are way cheaper and take less time to build than a DS.
~*Mod ur way into tranquility*~

I doubled the energy output of dyson spheres and lowered the energy production of habitats

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Truga posted:

Is it possible to make a mod that does this? Or are mods limited to content changes? Because this is exactly what I want, and I'll do it if it's possible.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=691008512

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I want this, but with sectors.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
There's an option to make AI follow the rules in the mod, which also affects sectors. Then just add your cores (or don't!) to the exclusion list.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh cool, that'll work then. Thanks.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Soup du Journey posted:

~*Mod ur way into tranquility*~

I doubled the energy output of dyson spheres and lowered the energy production of habitats

There should be a mineral version of the Dyson Sphere.

Some sort of planet cracking mine that sacrifices a habitable planet for 4 times the number of tiles the planet had for minerals a month.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

kojei posted:

There's an option to make AI follow the rules in the mod, which also affects sectors. Then just add your cores (or don't!) to the exclusion list.

Awesome, thank you.

Now I just need a mod to ignore ground combat and auto-successfully-invade planets that have been bombarded to zero and a huge majority of my oh-god-the-micro complaints will be resolved.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

On my way to a domination victory I found multiple planets with planetary capital buildings on top of betharian stones. I get the AI wants to stack the capital building on a power tile, but this is just silly.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

peak debt posted:

Well if they wanted to be realistic they'd cost like a trillion minerals and then produce a billion energy but that'd hardly make for good game design...

Yes, but as it is, the 210k mineral, 55 year time investment galactic wonder is outdone by a 15k mineral, 5 year (because you can build them simultaneously) investment that comes earlier, costs less ascension perks and doesn't require a high tier rare tech draw.

Science Nexuses do even worse and are outdone in two habitats, or one large planet and one energy habitat.

If I didn't have exams and had time to make a bit of an extensive mod, my solution would be to unlock them all on Voidborne and go the Civ route and make these wonders unique to the empire, as in, you can build one Ringworld, one Dyson Sphere, one Sentry Array and one Science Nexus. Make them require at least one construction ship in orbit at all times to build, and cost 150 or so minerals/mo while under construction instead of needing lump sums.

Give construction ships a (mineral and build time expensive, rare tech) fabricator optional module that provides 10% bonus to Megastructure build speed if they're in orbit of it, stacking for additional ships and capping at +100%. (also that should let them increase ship build speed if orbiting a spaceport). Nerf Habitat power buildings slightly (or make them scale with your unlocked planetary building techs), and put in a Megastructure Optimisation ascension perk with Voidborne as a pre-req to increase non-Habitat and Ringworld Megastructure outputs. I feel like going all-in on these things should be roughly equivalent to one of the three Ascensions.

Also I feel like undertaking a Megastructure project should be sufficient reason for people that hate your guts to declare war and try and blow your construction ships out of the sky. Is there a "destroy megastructure" wargoal currently? Obviously being Empire Unique spacewonders once they're gone they'd be gone and you don't get to rebuild it. Might make multiplayer more interesting at the very least. If they're relying on the Dyson Sphere to maintain their economy and you sweep it out from under them, well...

Anyway thats just my barely coherent rantings about it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Guildencrantz posted:

This seems like it could work out pretty well. You can't make buildings auto-upgrade, but you can scale their outputs with techs and AP's. This would make early habitats way less efficient than just settling a planet, but eventually unlock into being super good. Do you mind if I steal this idea?
That'd be really cool. I'd like to see how that concept works out to balance things in the game.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Megastructures a la National Wonders from Civ? Yes please.

hexachord
Nov 5, 2009

Gantolandon posted:

So... Factions are a nice idea, but currently it seems unless you'really doing something extremely stupid, you will never have to worry about most of them. They are pretty easy to keep content, if not outright happy.

This is my experience as well, factions are very static and self-reinforcing, a xeno-loving empire will spawn a xeno-loving faction, which in turn keeps the ethics of the pops xeno-loving etc.

The only interaction I've had with faction politics in my current game went like this: I'm playing as fanatical egalitarian/xenophile, and around the midgame I upgrade my robots to synths. The synth pops default to enslaved because an empire needs some degree of materialist for full robo-rights. Having any enslaved pops greatly upsets the liberty faction, and the loss of Influence is debilitating. I have the idea to switch my secondary ethic to materialist and so I "support" the gearhead faction. In 30 years materialist enthusiasm in my empire goes from 8% to 10%, and it takes 20% to switch. Eventually I abandon the whole enterprise, outlaw robotics (the outcome nobody wanted), dismantle the synths and everyone clinks champagne glasses ontop of a heap of dead robots as my Influence income is restored.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Does anyone know if you can build habitats on the non-colonisable sections of ringworlds?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

alcaras posted:

Megastructures a la National Wonders from Civ? Yes please.

Oh god please no, the current implementation is better than the expectation everyone is going to build exactly one of each type.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

hexachord posted:

This is my experience as well, factions are very static and self-reinforcing, a xeno-loving empire will spawn a xeno-loving faction, which in turn keeps the ethics of the pops xeno-loving etc.

The only interaction I've had with faction politics in my current game went like this: I'm playing as fanatical egalitarian/xenophile, and around the midgame I upgrade my robots to synths. The synth pops default to enslaved because an empire needs some degree of materialist for full robo-rights. Having any enslaved pops greatly upsets the liberty faction, and the loss of Influence is debilitating. I have the idea to switch my secondary ethic to materialist and so I "support" the gearhead faction. In 30 years materialist enthusiasm in my empire goes from 8% to 10%, and it takes 20% to switch. Eventually I abandon the whole enterprise, outlaw robotics (the outcome nobody wanted), dismantle the synths and everyone clinks champagne glasses ontop of a heap of dead robots as my Influence income is restored.

I'll say factions had a minor influence on my actions in my first Utopia game, notably my Fanatic Materialist/Egalitarian empire spawned a Pacifist faction due to the fact that I had an isolated start and didn't get involved in many wars.

Now, one could say that my Pacifist faction was generally content and "easy" to handle. But the problem I had was that each member of the Pacifist faction wasn't a member of my Materialist faction, which was super happy with how I was running my empire (my Egalitarian faction was pretty happy but not quite as happy). Going from "very happy" to simply "content" isn't the same as stirring up unrest, but it was costing me resources. I seem to recall I did eventually start keeping a reserve of Energy (rather than immediately blowing it all on robots/tile blockers/conversion to minerals) to try and keep them appeased.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Xae posted:

There should be a mineral version of the Dyson Sphere.

Some sort of planet cracking mine that sacrifices a habitable planet for 4 times the number of tiles the planet had for minerals a month.

There's a mod for this, looks like. I don't love the graphics for it, but it gets the job done.

That aside, I actually think it might make more sense for habitats to come earlier and be mineral production centers rather than energy pinatas (maybe keep the science too?). It sort of works lore-wise: solar power is nice, but the real boon of orbital living is being able to collect poo poo from asteroids and process it without dealing with a gravity well. It'd also set the player up to deal well with the huge mineral costs of the more advanced megastructures later on.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Science Nexuses do even worse and are outdone in two habitats, or one large planet and one energy habitat.

By the way don't forget that a habitat increases the amount of research needed for technologies both because it's a planet, and for the pops it houses. Meanwhile the Nexus doesn't do that. It shifts the cost/benefit ratio quite a bit especially in smallish empires.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

peak debt posted:

By the way don't forget that a habitat increases the amount of research needed for technologies both because it's a planet, and for the pops it houses. Meanwhile the Nexus doesn't do that. It shifts the cost/benefit ratio quite a bit especially in smallish empires.
This is a good point, but it's still kind of disappointing. I just tripled the tech bonuses from that thing. Still not sure if I actually want to build it, and this is after modding in simultaneous megastructure construction...

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

peak debt posted:

A smallish empire can't poo poo out twenty thousand minerals to build them in a reasonable time.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

peak debt posted:

By 60 years after mega engineering you're probably at the end the tech tree anyway.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm the update being named after Iain M. Banks not having the option to build non-ringworld orbitals or have your society run by hyperintelligent Minds.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Also I feel like undertaking a Megastructure project should be sufficient reason for people that hate your guts to declare war and try and blow your construction ships out of the sky. Is there a "destroy megastructure" wargoal currently? Obviously being Empire Unique spacewonders once they're gone they'd be gone and you don't get to rebuild it. Might make multiplayer more interesting at the very least. If they're relying on the Dyson Sphere to maintain their economy and you sweep it out from under them, well...

There's a diplomatic event that can fire when building a dyson sphere - blotting out a star in their sacred constellation or something. Didn't really seem to go anywhere though.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Applewhite posted:

I'm the update being named after Iain M. Banks not having the option to build non-ringworld orbitals or have your society run by hyperintelligent Minds.
I think one of the early screenshots called habitats orbitals. So there's that at least.

Hyperintelligent Minds would be a great ascention path. Way better than just uploading everyone into robots and wiping out all differentiation. I usually get cyborgs and call it a day because I don't want everything to become one undifferentiated robotic mass (that I have to build manually).

If you could unlock a special advanced AI government type that was as hard to get and gave similar level of benefits but left your people to do whatever they wanted, that'd be Banks as gently caress and also a lot of fun.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

Sure it wasn't Elizabeth Banks?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The Culture wouldn't work in the context of Stellaris, though: a society with immediate access to infinite resources and that can pull a fleet out of its rear end wouldn't be balanced. AI overlords as a government type would be cool, though.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Hav posted:

Sure it wasn't Elizabeth Banks?

it's named after cornelius banks, inventor of banks

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I know complaining about rough starts is old hat but I just started a (hyperlane of course) game where other than my freebie starting planets I'm in a little cluster of about 8 empty stars with only 2 hyperlanes connecting me to the rest of the galaxy. One is within a fallen empire's borders, the other has a massive 5k+ pirate fleet guarding it.

On one hand i'm hosed for expansion, but on the other hand it's a challenge and maybe I can try to "play tall"

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I know complaining about rough starts is old hat but I just started a (hyperlane of course) game where other than my freebie starting planets I'm in a little cluster of about 8 empty stars with only 2 hyperlanes connecting me to the rest of the galaxy. One is within a fallen empire's borders, the other has a massive 5k+ pirate fleet guarding it.

On one hand i'm hosed for expansion, but on the other hand it's a challenge and maybe I can try to "play tall"

Can you sneak by the pirates.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Yes, but as it is, the 210k mineral, 55 year time investment galactic wonder is outdone by a 15k mineral, 5 year (because you can build them simultaneously) investment that comes earlier, costs less ascension perks and doesn't require a high tier rare tech draw.

Dyson Spheres will never be competitive with habitats.

For the cost of a Dyson Sphere you can build 14 habitats with a maximum potential power generation of 1,540 energy, and they'd be done in a fraction of the time. I don't know how to balance that, honestly. Making habitats smaller or reducing the power generation of their special building would just delay the inevitable.

I kind-of want Voidborn to be its own ascension path like genetics and psionics: take voidborn and you learn how to colonize systems rather than planets, letting you pick which planets to place space colonies around and which to strip-mine from orbit, but perhaps slowly losing planetary habitability as you adapt to living exclusively in space. It'd be a different playstyle where you don't directly manage pops but manage systems with colonies or space-mining operations perhaps producing food or minerals or energy based on their population, but I also think it'd be very difficult to integrate back into normal play.

Being able to play a species whose souls aren't weighed down by gravity would still be fun, though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Can you sneak by the pirates.

Nope, their hang out zone is pretty much directly on top of the hyperlane exit on my side.
The last few games I've played I absolutely steamrollered to the point of it not being fun. I think it's the planetary survey corps giving me a ridiculous compounding tech advantage or something. I have some mods that make orbital habs and mega-structures come a bit earlier so I have that to look forward to, although I'm sure I'll be able to muster a fleet to beat those pirates sooner. Also the FE is a xenophile so eventually they'll ask me for a pop and the let me through. Gotta pay the troll toll.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Voidborne should turn your empire into something like the quarian migrant fleet and let you become a space locust swarm. Habitats should be a basic tech that starts small and lets you upgrade them to a big habitat with a shipyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

PoptartsNinja posted:

Dyson Spheres will never be competitive with habitats.

For the cost of a Dyson Sphere you can build 14 habitats with a maximum potential power generation of 1,540 energy, and they'd be done in a fraction of the time. I don't know how to balance that, honestly. Making habitats smaller or reducing the power generation of their special building would just delay the inevitable.

I kind-of want Voidborn to be its own ascension path like genetics and psionics: take voidborn and you learn how to colonize systems rather than planets, letting you pick which planets to place space colonies around and which to strip-mine from orbit, but perhaps slowly losing planetary habitability as you adapt to living exclusively in space. It'd be a different playstyle where you don't directly manage pops but manage systems with colonies or space-mining operations perhaps producing food or minerals or energy based on their population, but I also think it'd be very difficult to integrate back into normal play.

Being able to play a species whose souls aren't weighed down by gravity would still be fun, though.
I'm not saying Dyson Spheres couldn't use a buff/habitats a nerf, but keep in mind that habitats require building colonies and growing pops, greatly increasing your research and unity costs. The situation is not pure energy generation math.

• Locked thread