Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Hoohah posted:

Much text follows!

Woo! I'm going to save that off, thanks. gently caress these zone and boss names, though. Does this progression have a lot of hailing and character flags and that nonsense too, that everyone will gently caress up and be shouting over voice chat over and over again with the same questions?

Hoohah posted:

So Omens doesn't actually have a lot more than what you mentioned. The only thing you left out is the group version of the muramite proving ground trials for the resist cap AAs.

Heh, feels like plenty to me...

Hoohah posted:

The AAs may feel like a lot but I don't think they will be. Most of them are tradeskill stuff you can sit on till later, plus you can bank 130 AAs to take a big bite out of them ahead of time.

Yeah, I got my 130 bank for GoD already done, heh. Then in GoD I'll get another 50 to spend, then another 130. Getting 180 in 8 weeks without a good exp bonus might be tough for me. The 350 that I said earlier was without tradeskills AAs btw. There's just that many. Sounds like DoN will give some more breathing time though, although I expect it to be another 8 week expansion.

Is that a trend from OoW on - either an expansion raises the level cap, or gives you AA? I was searching on raidloot.com, and I didn't go through every expansion, but it started seeming like every other expac has no AAs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

MF_James posted:

OMM definitely was, my guild beat him in era. Tunat'Muram is tacvi bossi, right? I THOUGHT he was not beaten in era, but I could be wrong.

Aw drat. Were you raiding Tacvi when it was current? I was still getting caught up, raiding the elemental planes, in Vex Thal gear, masturbating to Plane of Time loot.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Node posted:

Aw drat. Were you raiding Tacvi when it was current? I was still getting caught up, raiding the elemental planes, in Vex Thal gear, masturbating to Plane of Time loot.

GoD we were not a front running guild still, but GoD did kill most of the high end raid guilds off which allowed us to pick up some members and push forward (I guess their dicks fell off after getting slammed in a door for too long in GoD). Plane of Time we did after GoD released and we pushed up to uqua or maybe inktuta during GoD. We raided GoD and OoW simultaneously, we beat Tunat before beating OMM though.

We did farm the gently caress out of tacvi during OoW though, I enjoyed the zone, but I could see it being loving ridiculous in era. I mean the fact that we couldn't even get through is somewhat a testament to the difficulty but we also had a lot of mouth breathers raiding with us during that time, once OoW hit we had a solid squad of 24-30 people + 10-18 cannon fodder folks that we steamrolled raids with.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 30, 2017

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

Woo! I'm going to save that off, thanks. gently caress these zone and boss names, though. Does this progression have a lot of hailing and character flags and that nonsense too, that everyone will gently caress up and be shouting over voice chat over and over again with the same questions?

So, yeah, maybe.
INDIVIDUAL progression (not including the person you get to make the Icon of the Altar) is the following:
1. Do the Tipt 6 man instance off of Barindu, and hail the ghost on the other side of the ravine before you zone out. (This is the only step I'm not 100% sure about. A VERY long time ago, in-era GoD, they removed the requirement to do either Weapon Master Vtiink Vzaan OR the four sewer instances, and the Vxed instance to progress to Tipt. I need to ask a few people who did previous progression if you need to do these, but I don't remember doing them on Combine and no one thus far has contradicted me when I mention just doing Tipt and racing for Primals if they don't instance it.)
2. Hail a guy in the temple nearest the quest giver for Barindu to get access to Kod'taz and Yxtta
3. Finish the Ikkinz 4 raid and loot a Sliver of the High Temple from the pile of bones
4. Finish the Uqua raid and hail the Specter of Barxt to get a Fragment of the High Temple
5. Have the Sliver and Fragment on you and zone into Qvic, that will key you for Qvic and Inktu'ta
6. Finish Inktu'ta and hail the golem to get a Splinter of the High Temple
7. Give the Sliver, Fragment, and Splinter to a guy on the ship in Abysmal Sea to get the Cipher of Txevu
8. Zone into Txevu (flags you for it) and do the Runt event (key to the caves) and the High Priest Nkosi Bkari event in the caves (Jade Inlaid Key, key to Zun's area)
9. Get Tacvi by either a. Talking to the guy near zone in while you have the Signet of Command, b. Kill Zun'Muram Tkarish Zyk (yes, killing him assigns you the instance immediately if your raid isn't in one), or c. If Zun'Muram is dead, click on the gold statue in his room (alternate way to get the instance / zone in if you have the Jade Inlaid Key and can let people into upper Txevu).

Note that Qvic has a port-to location from Natmbi in the north-east corner of the zone (near the Kod'taz zone in) where you talk to a ghost girl and she sends you there. Specifically, you end up in the temple area near the tunnel to Inktu'ta, which saves you a ton of pointless trash clearing up the hills in Qvic. Naturally, if they instance Qvic, it'll put you at the bottom of the hills probably.

For some reason people really hate the names in the next two expansions. I don't personally mind, but I read somewhere that the dev that was coming up for the theme naming for this used what little is known of Sumerian to do it, so that's kinda neat?

quote:

Is that a trend from OoW on - either an expansion raises the level cap, or gives you AA? I was searching on raidloot.com, and I didn't go through every expansion, but it started seeming like every other expac has no AAs.

Not at all, the upcoming expansions:
OoW: Level Cap and AAs
DoN: Neither
DoDH: AAs
PoR: Neither
TSS: Level Cap and AAs
TBS: Neither
SoF: Level Cap and AAs
SoD: Level Cap and AAs
UF: AAs
HoT: Level Cap and AAs
VoA: Level Cap and AAs
RoF: Level Cap and AAs
CotF: AAs
TDS: Level Cap and AAs
TBM: AAs
EOK: AAs

Sadly the three 'neither' expansions also don't have a lot going on in them. They're the leftovers of the 6-month development cycle that ended with SoF. Usually its a flagging chain for everyone that unlocks a raid zone or two that you'll farm for 8-12 weeks, and maybe some other oddball stuff to do. I hate PoR with a passion just because of Deathknell, but honesty compels me to admit that of the three I listed, it probably has the most going on with several useful raids instead of just one or two.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

BloodThirster posted:

I think I saw you in the guild I joined a few days ago, Lions? I started back up a while back, been leveling a warrior to box with my 69 shaman. Warrior's name is Drooble!

Yup, I'm in Lions on my Enchanter.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Hoohah posted:

So, yeah, maybe.

Overall that sounds easier than PoP. "Kill thing, hail guy" for th emost part is pretty simple. It's the "run around and hail in sick bay, then in library, then back, then talk to seer to fix your poo poo, then talk to seer again, then again" stuff that people had trouble with.

Hoohah posted:

Not at all, the upcoming expansions:

Okay, so just all over the map then.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

Overall that sounds easier than PoP. "Kill thing, hail guy" for th emost part is pretty simple. It's the "run around and hail in sick bay, then in library, then back, then talk to seer to fix your poo poo, then talk to seer again, then again" stuff that people had trouble with.

That stuff is confined to the Txevu part (I'm sure there'll be hand holding needed there) and Breakdown in Communication. BiC is probably the first or second most complicated chain of quests and what order you have to do them in. Some epics and shawl 2.0/3.0 might be the only competition to this, or maybe the face aug in SoF or Timeshear in SoD.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
aww yeah gonna get in on this agnarr server

playing now is so bloated, so much to do so much to remember

now its gonna be fighting other gnomes for kobolds in steamfont mountains

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

xZAOx posted:

Okay, so just all over the map then.

The best was when all the flagging was super hosed up in PoP and it took hours of running back and forth becuase you hailed in the wrong order, or you got the kill flags in an odd order that EQ didn't expect so you had to hail the seer 3000000000000x to get it corrected. This was a loving nightmare.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

MF_James posted:

The best was when all the flagging was super hosed up in PoP and it took hours of running back and forth becuase you hailed in the wrong order, or you got the kill flags in an odd order that EQ didn't expect so you had to hail the seer 3000000000000x to get it corrected. This was a loving nightmare.

Yeah this happened to me, ugh. Got it straightened out though and cleared most of PoTime in-era but never got Quarm so maybe it'll happen on Agnarr.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I really would like a progression server but I (maybe misguidedly) would like to see beyond PoP as it's one of the last expansions I remember. Stupid Agnarr stopping at PoP makes me unsure what to do now.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Xeras posted:

I really would like a progression server but I (maybe misguidedly) would like to see beyond PoP as it's one of the last expansions I remember. Stupid Agnarr stopping at PoP makes me unsure what to do now.

go onto literally any server and make a free level 85 hero and have at it . honestly if you weren't there when the expansion was relevant you'll have no nostalgia or attachment to it .

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
It isn't too late to catch up on Phinigel if you really wanted to, bonus exp going on right now.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Krazuel posted:

It isn't too late to catch up on Phinigel if you really wanted to, bonus exp going on right now.

reminder that it's old world style xp and the bonus ends tomorrow , so instead of ridiculously painfully slow it will be mind numbingly slow . Which is a feature not a bug !

I'm actually excited for Agnarr because it's fun when everybody is low level and has to group and we can't just MOLO everything !!

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Piss de Bundy posted:

I'm actually excited for Agnarr because it's fun when everybody is low level and has to group and we can't just MOLO everything !!

It's less about mercenaries and more about avoiding the downward spiral of antisocial behavior that easy boxing causes.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

boho posted:

It's less about mercenaries and more about avoiding the downward spiral of antisocial behavior that easy boxing causes.

Which is what killed me playing back when we had our goon revival a few years ago. And what I suspect has kept the level cap in place for so long.

I play EQ to group and hang out with people.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

boho posted:

yeah i noticed that in the higher level servers it's a just a big old empty chatroom. . .like you can group with people but it doesn't seem out of necessity. . .

nothing feels as "real" in the older servers because you can use your super fast mount and hover over everything, lava doesn't hurt you, you can port to so many zones

in Agnarr none of that will be possible, you'll have to take that long and dangerous journey from innothule swamp to the faydark to hope to kill crushbone orcs, if you die well you're hosed back to innothule

everything is dark as poo poo

leveling is painfully slow

and you HAVE to group

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Piss de Bundy posted:

leveling is painfully slow

Actually the Ragefire XP rate was pretty drat fast compared to Phinigel.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

boho posted:

Actually the Ragefire XP rate was pretty drat fast compared to Phinigel.

I think the four people that still play on Ragefire like the xp rate too.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
After taking two separate Phinigel characters 1-60 in Kunark with zero powerleveling or boxing, I'm very much looking forward to Ragefire XP.

mattisacomputer
Jul 13, 2007

Philadelphia Sports: Classy and Sophisticated.

herv, are you considering playing agnarr? this server might make me climb out of my grave and fire up EQ again

also did they ever restore old Acrylia Caverns content for any of the TLPs?

(hi everyone, this is jikasoz from the eqmac days)

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
They don't really restore poo poo for zones. Ancient AC died with eqmac and I guess if some weird rear end emulated server has it.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Stanos posted:

They don't really restore poo poo for zones. Ancient AC died with eqmac and I guess if some weird rear end emulated server has it.

I don't think that's a fair statement at all, unless I'm misunderstanding something. Zones that got an all new map file stay permanently changed - Freeport, Nro/Oasis/Sro, etc. But zones that got revamped (VP, Paw, CT, lots of others) get their content changed as servers progress.

I think maybe Hate actually gets its full on original one? I wasn't on Phinny for Classic, so not sure.

Did AC used to have a different map file?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Yeah that statement is correct but there's changing mob spawns to gnolls in splitpaw versus recreating zones that were giant pieces of poo poo at release like acrylia caverns and griegs end. If there's old websites still up I know fires of heaven and maybe legacy of steel had pretty big bitching posts about them.

I know there's a goon in club fu that has a piece of loot from AC but the zone was fundamentally changed for the better later in luclin. But you are correct, they do change stuff around to be more classic but not dramatic changes like that.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
We did get the old version of grimling forest!
... in the pick
New version in the base zone, was kinda weird when it first spawned.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Krazuel posted:

We did get the old version of grimling forest!
... in the pick
New version in the base zone, was kinda weird when it first spawned.

What's the difference(s)?

LDON is coming in a few weeks, and I did a big info diving session a couple of weekends ago to try to learn more about it (and stop myself from making Hoohah feel like he needs to me another novel, lol). I saved it all and posted it to my guild's forum, would be happy to share if anyone else is as "wtf is LDON and how do it be" as I was.

But I did have a few questions that I couldn't find an answer to (esp for progression servers):

-How long do the raids take?
-How tough are they for a Time geared force? Like, 3-4 groups, or more?
-Do they scale in any way, like LDON group instances do?
-Is the loot just specific to a "theme", or do the actual raids in the theme itself all drop some different items?
-I browsed the loot for a raid or two, but in case I missed it - is there any just really stand-out piece of gear or aug to know about?

I get that LDON raids are, at best, supplementary to PoP, but I still hope to be able to check some of them out. At least one of each "theme".

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Think raids are 2-3 hours tops, some have a strict time limit, and some have a death limit. I remember them being pretty tough in-era, 3-4 groups is probably on the low side. There's no scaling, and each raid has its own unique loot table. Here's an example raid, which I recall was on the easier side. http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=4198

Notably, that raid drops the Frosty Gem of Enhanced Protection, the best AC aug (and the best one that slots into a shield) until SoF, The only other standout raid drop I remember was the Shard of Eternal Pain from the Ritualist of Hate in Deepest Guk, which gives a unique pet proc to your weapon: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=59768

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
The raids take about an hour if your guild isn't poo poo.

The raid difficulty is a joke aslong as you don't be a shitler as a guild/player and/or try to finish the raid without following a set order such as zerging the final boss before doing something else.

The loot is mostly poo poo minus a few augs if you are a time geared guild. It's on par with elemental loot aka junk.

You do want to find your BIS item in time that isn't that great and get an ldon item to replace it that has slot 3 for the 8% dodge Aug.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I remember LDoN raids being annoying in-era but I'm sure that's changed just like everything else on tlp servers.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
LDoN loot got massively changed by the stat consolidation. There's now a ton of good heroic stat augs for slot 8 (and slot 3, but no one cares about those really).

Most LDoN raids are a big trash clear (or pulling shenanigans) followed by minor mechanic bosses. Some have 3 hour limits, I don't recall death limits until much later in the game. Only one or two lock near the end as far as I know.

Important loot/augs:
* Anomalous Rock of Alteration: Spec Alter 15% aug (slot 8) from Hidden Vale. Every healer should want this.
* Tweyne's Stone of Evocation: Spec Evoc 15% aug (slot 8) from Within the Compact. Every wizard should want this.
* Frosty Gem of Enhanced Protection: 35 AC aug for visibles + shield (slot 7, 8) from Frozen Nightmare. See above.
* Singing Stone Bracer: Bard Bracer with click Harmony of Sound from Hidden Vale. Frees up a spell gem for good bards.
* Valdoon's Bloodstone of Power: 20 Backstab damage increase (slot 8) from Valdoon. More rogue damage is never bad.
* Faded Gloves of the Shadows: Rogue gloves with click damage proc (no stun, but pushback). More rogue damage is never bad.
* Cherished Companion Shard: Pet boost aug (slot 8) from Prison Break. I believe this is one level of strength above Symbol of Ancient Summoning from Time.

There is also one aug for 40% damage on Fire, Cold, Magic, and Disease nukes, 40% damage on Magic, Poison, Fire, and Disease DoTs, and 40% healing for single target or group heals.

Plenty of worthwhile raiding, just avoid War March of Imal Ojun and Takish Hiz Library (both of these have sub 100 HME items and no augs).

Hoohah fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 9, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
We still use some of those Ldon augs on live. I'm not sure if I there will ever be an upgrade for the Frosty Gem of Enhanced Protection.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
As far as I know, the specialization augs are all 15% and there are no other items in the game that are as strong as that until Call of the Forsaken. The only downside is that the augs are type 8 only, which on the Vulak/Fippy servers, I ran into issues with my alts upgrading basically every slot with Korafax / Convorteum / Somnium loot which are all slot 7. Always had to keep the strongest slot 8 until I could snag one from rot on raids. A quick spot check on the big one, Spec Alter, the closest it gets is some cleric weapons with 12%.

Call of the Forsaken fixes this with Specialization augs that are type 7 and 8, and go to cap of 45 instead of 40.

I don't think Frosty Gem outlasts House of Thule, at least not for tanks? I could be wrong, 35 AC is pretty stellar.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I can't get the launcher to even take me to server select. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, running as admin, and turning off windows firewall. Anyone run into this issue?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Xeras posted:

I can't get the launcher to even take me to server select. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, running as admin, and turning off windows firewall. Anyone run into this issue?

:same:

E: I haven't been able to get on since a couple of weeks ago. Actually logged into my account and free-heroed my rogue to 85. I logged of in Grieg's End because I loved sneaking around old world dungeons. I just wanna be able to sneak around stuff!

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 15, 2017

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I never use the launcher for anything but patching, so try this. Assuming the launcher patches successfully (show the green "PLAY" button), try running EQ directly like this:

C:\Games\EverQuest\eqgame.exe patchme

Replace "C:\Games\EverQuest" with the path to your EQ dir.

This launches EQ the old fashioned way.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Pilsner posted:

I never use the launcher for anything but patching, so try this. Assuming the launcher patches successfully (show the green "PLAY" button), try running EQ directly like this:

C:\Games\EverQuest\eqgame.exe patchme

Replace "C:\Games\EverQuest" with the path to your EQ dir.

This launches EQ the old fashioned way.

This worked! Thanks!

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Combine/Sleeper xp rates please Daybreak.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Zero xp rate please Daybreak. Allow everyone to remain at the same level and AA for the rest of history.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Small quality of life change for meeles in today's patch,

- Added the ability for level 61 and higher level players to automatically activate basic combat skills (Backstab, Bash, Frenzy, Kick, Tiger Claw, etc) while auto-attacking:
- - The hold-right click menu for combat skill hot buttons now has an 'Auto Activate' toggle to enable/disable the automatic activation of these skills.
- - The slash command /autoskill can also be used to toggle the automatic activation of these skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Baconroll posted:

Small quality of life change for meeles in today's patch,

- Added the ability for level 61 and higher level players to automatically activate basic combat skills (Backstab, Bash, Frenzy, Kick, Tiger Claw, etc) while auto-attacking:
- - The hold-right click menu for combat skill hot buttons now has an 'Auto Activate' toggle to enable/disable the automatic activation of these skills.
- - The slash command /autoskill can also be used to toggle the automatic activation of these skills.

Wow that's nice. I guess auto-Backstab isn't so good for Rogues, but for a Monk, why not.

Also:

quote:

- In an effort to reduce the frustration caused by watery environments, melee attacks will no longer cause push back if the defender is in water. This applies to both PCs and NPCs.
Now if they could just make swimming like in WoW where it's pretty much like flying, that'd be swell.