Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

CPL593H posted:

it's fun to meet these people. I'm sure you've had fun once or twice. It's a good thing.

none of this checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

stay depressed posted:

none of this checks out

I'll tell you all about it when you're older.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

I was expecting Saint Vitus and Pentagram. The George Gershwin was a surprise. I guess the guy on Discogs is trying to get rid of some records, or he thought "This guy would clearly appreciate this weird symphony album."

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

MalleusDei posted:

I was expecting Saint Vitus and Pentagram. The George Gershwin was a surprise. I guess the guy on Discogs is trying to get rid of some records, or he thought "This guy would clearly appreciate this weird symphony album."

A lot of guys who sell records online use junk records/covers or stuff of little value as packing to protect the actual items you buy. I've gotten this a few times. Sometimes they also just throw in extra crap as kind of a bonus and to clear out stuff that's not worth enough to bother listing.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 18, 2017

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Yeah I sandwiched a record a friend wanted between 2 Organ LPs to more safely ship it. And once he got a bunch of 45s from Berlin, and the seller put a bunch of cheap 45s since it'd be the same price to ship, and to get rid of unwanted inventory.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

That makes sense. It's a thick cardboard cover, so it was probably extra padding.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

That's how I ended up with a couple mc hammer records. Then i went ahead and threw those into a birthday package for my brother.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Guess I'm on a compilation kick...

Got these during one of those overseas Amazon deals. Volume 4 (Green) seems pretty elusive which will probably trigger my OCD for years.

Sorry about the blurry picture but I grabbed these from the Light in the Attic spring sale. Haven't had a chance to listen but I'm sure I'll dig these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuxdJNNlKZk
Just watched this movie and had to grab the soundtrack. Volume 2 is a little too disco/80's but it $10 for the colored wax version so I snagged it as well.

Edit:

Got this as packing material and both the album and the cover rule.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 19, 2017

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Hadn't gone record digging in a while, so was super happy to find a Lovelites this weekend. Seriously one of the best non-majors group vocal / Chicago sound soul LPs. Wish the jacket was in better condition, but 2 bucks and the record is super clean so I'm not mad. I've bid on a copy a number of times but never high balled it to win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8ZjnGlOjRU

Far-Out Recordings is apparently re-mastering a number of Quartin LPs from master tapes, they've already release Jose Mauro and Piri:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsAeAMNz7Bs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0wXoB0ISpM

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Sold a record on Discogs, but it turned out to be the wrong variant so I swiftly reached out to explain and canceled the order. Didn't get any response so I figured, whatever. Didn't leave a feedback nor did he. You can put in your feedback within 90 days, after which you cannot. This guy just gave me an extremely angry negative feedback, and he did it with literally 5 minutes to spare before the 90-day deadline, giving me no chance to respond. He must've set an alarm or crossed it off on his calendar to post minutes before it happened or something.

That is some dedication to payback.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
VMP is on a roll, looks like next month is Fiona Apple - Tidal

https://twitter.com/VinylMePlease/status/854703767425609729

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/fiona-the-caged-bird-sings-19980122

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 19, 2017

Lungs
Dec 20, 2005
Some Discogs purchases from this week:

Also: gently caress RSD

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Sold a record on Discogs, but it turned out to be the wrong variant so I swiftly reached out to explain and canceled the order. Didn't get any response so I figured, whatever. Didn't leave a feedback nor did he. You can put in your feedback within 90 days, after which you cannot. This guy just gave me an extremely angry negative feedback, and he did it with literally 5 minutes to spare before the 90-day deadline, giving me no chance to respond. He must've set an alarm or crossed it off on his calendar to post minutes before it happened or something.

Do you still have his address? If so, mail him a box of poo poo.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Do you still have his address? If so, mail him a box of poo poo.

He's in Poland. I doubt he'd notice.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Dissapointed Owl posted:

He's in Poland. I doubt he'd notice.

Solid Poland burn.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Lungs posted:

Some Discogs purchases from this week:

Also: gently caress RSD

good poo poo

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Excellent album cover

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Kendrick Lamar is selling "autographed" pre-orders of drat until 4.20 though I will pass after getting my signed copy of untitled lol

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Can you email discogs and see if they can help you give a response. If this guy put together a plan to screw you it'll probably make him 10x as mad if you're​ able to respond and fix it a little.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Bliggers- posted:

Kendrick Lamar is selling "autographed" pre-orders of drat until 4.20 though I will pass after getting my signed copy of untitled lol

Why is everybody hating on that? That's just how he signs pretty much everything, did people not even bother to look up what his signature looked like?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Bliggers- posted:

Wait, what's the story here?

Smeed posted:

Can you email discogs and see if they can help you give a response. If this guy put together a plan to screw you it'll probably make him 10x as mad if you're​ able to respond and fix it a little.

I did and I was able to put a reply at my negative feedback which is enough for me. Don't really care about the 2% lower feedback ranking I now have. The fact this was 3 month payback scheme was weird enough.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Glazier posted:

Why is everybody hating on that? That's just how he signs pretty much everything, did people not even bother to look up what his signature looked like?

Yeah out of all the things that reek of entitlement online complaining that a dude's signature isn't good enough is loving nuts.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Stan Taylor posted:

Yeah out of all the things that reek of entitlement online complaining that a dude's signature isn't good enough is loving nuts.

Yeah, but then again I'm crazy according to vinyl collectors because I actually listen to my records.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Wait, what's the story here?

GIS his other signed records. Not sure it's worth the extra $.

Yeah they have been heavily hinting at this all month. Official announcement is tomorrow. I can't stand Fiona Apple so I'll either swap it or sell it. Looks like there has never been a vinyl release of it. Wonder how much it will go for.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

GIS his other signed records. Not sure it's worth the extra $.

Yeah they have been heavily hinting at this all month. Official announcement is tomorrow. I can't stand Fiona Apple so I'll either swap it or sell it. Looks like there has never been a vinyl release of it. Wonder how much it will go for.

Who the hell still cares about Fiona Apple?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Who the hell still cares about Fiona Apple?

:shrug:

They are expecting it to sell out pretty quickly.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Fiona Apple is good as hell

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ras Het posted:

Fiona Apple is good as hell

I haven't heard anyone mention her in 20 years. I'm just surprised that there's a demand.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I know people are going to hate me for this and I forgive them even though they're wrong, but VMP is everything that is bad about collecting vinyl today.

1) the name. It literally cannot be worse. Vinyl me?
2) all of their releases are hipster junk in gimmicky colors
3) everything about it makes me think it's run by some 30 year old guys in hoodies

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I haven't heard anyone mention her in 20 years. I'm just surprised that there's a demand.

She released a widely acclaimed album five years ago

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Smeed posted:

3) everything about it makes me think it's run by some 30 year old guys in hoodies

yeah everyone knows true record collectors just deal with being cold

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Smeed posted:

2) all of their releases are hipster junk in gimmicky colors

This part pisses me off more than anything else. It's well-known that colored vinyl sounds shittier so why are they doing so many releases with it? Definitely cashing in on a trend.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

revmoo posted:

This part pisses me off more than anything else. It's well-known that colored vinyl sounds shittier so why are they doing so many releases with it? Definitely cashing in on a trend.

"well known" by people who don't know what they're talking about lol. pvc is semi-opaque white by default. carbon black dye is traditionally used in vinyl records to hide flaws. maybe you're thinking of picture discs?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

VERY COOL MAN posted:

"well known" by people who don't know what they're talking about lol. pvc is semi-opaque white by default. carbon black dye is traditionally used in vinyl records to hide flaws. maybe you're thinking of picture discs?

id be really interested in seeing proper scientific trials of this. A lot of what I saw when I was looking at it was comparing blacks to colored represses rather than limited colors of the same pressing run as the black standard one

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

VERY COOL MAN posted:

Rude

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
hahaha zipped and flipped

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I thought I read some audiophile bullshit a long time ago that rated the colors with black being best and I forget, maybe yellow or blue being the worst.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

sporklift posted:

I thought I read some audiophile bullshit a long time ago that rated the colors with black being best and I forget, maybe yellow or blue being the worst.

pink is the best, green and brown are the worst hth

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

sporklift posted:

:shrug:

They are expecting it to sell out pretty quickly.

Tidal was a monster and it still has an emotional punch, compare it to something like Jagged Little Pill which feels fake now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

my summer at fat camp posted:

pink is the best, green and brown are the worst hth

This is why I'm getting Bangerz on RSD